Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Skills, ideas you learned in college (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=412047)

danlux 05-25-2007 09:03 PM

Skills, ideas you learned in college

I'm talking about things you learned in the actual class part of college, not drinking, girls, etc. In your career, what skills or other things you learned in college had a direct impact in your job?

mouseman 05-25-2007 09:12 PM

Re: Skills, ideas you learned in college

English (communications) classes helped a lot and I work in IT.

elus2 05-25-2007 09:20 PM

How to write.
How to think.
How to learn.

Rhone 05-25-2007 09:23 PM

understanding what inductive and deductive logic are, and ways to apply them to problem solving, have been extraordinarily helpful. also, basic microeconomics.

kerowo 05-25-2007 09:29 PM

1st time:
how to build scenery
how to move scenery
how to design scenery - no impact
how to stage manage
how to design lights - no impact
how to build props

2nd time:
MS Office
JCL
COBOL
IMS - no impact
DB2
SQL
C - no impact
C++ no impact

What I didn't learn in school that has had an impact
SOX crap
Paper work

firstyearclay 05-25-2007 09:56 PM

Negotiation Skills.

fyc

kyleb 05-25-2007 10:15 PM

Negotiation, accounting, microeconomics, financial analysis.

Hiiiiiiii 05-25-2007 10:27 PM

Time management and typography. Oh I learned about coke also...

mbillie1 05-25-2007 10:29 PM

The difference between Husserl's and Levinas' respective phenomenologies, although I think it probably fell out of my brain a while ago

Socialite 05-25-2007 10:32 PM

How to play poker [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

kidcolin 05-25-2007 10:38 PM

Lots of engineering stuff. A decent amount of which I don't use in my current engineering job (logic design), but will come in handy at some point.

Jeff W 05-25-2007 10:42 PM

Probability/Statistics, Data/Error Analysis, Logic, Writing/Editing, Research Skills.

Paul B. 05-25-2007 10:55 PM

Nothing, basically.

SuperUberBob 05-26-2007 01:14 AM

I learned more outside of college than inside of the classroom while attending Penn State.

EvanJC 05-26-2007 01:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Nothing, basically.

[/ QUOTE ]

IlliniLou 05-26-2007 02:30 AM

-how to screw the IRS out of money
-how to do shady accounting without being caught
-how to make sure i dont die poor
-how to tap a keg

MegaloMialo 05-26-2007 02:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
-how to tap a keg

[/ QUOTE ]

Useful stuff.

catalyst 05-26-2007 02:36 AM

I've learned much more surfing the web than in classes during my four years in college. As far as a direct impact at a job... I'm pretty sure if I didn't attend school the past four years I would just about as capable

chiachu 05-26-2007 02:44 AM

Things i learned, but dont use anymore:
Analog/Digital Circuits
Logic Design
Electromagnetics
Laplace/Fourier Transforms

Things i learned that are atleast somewhat used:
C++ (OO concepts)
Algorithm design
Just being able to think critically and problem solve

Fast Food Knight 05-26-2007 12:34 PM

Prob/Stat, technical writing, Minitab, advanced Excel, SQL, relational databases has been HUGE in my career, also skills like how to present lots of data in a concise and meaningful manner.

'Chair 05-26-2007 02:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
problem solving

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm in Tech Support, so this is big.

EvanJC 05-26-2007 02:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
-how to tap a keg

[/ QUOTE ]

pws to elaborate on number 3 tks

miajag 05-26-2007 03:19 PM

- Associated Press style
- formal and symbolic logic
- clear, concise writing

Tom Ames 05-26-2007 03:22 PM

1)To use library and other resources to find accurate information.

2)To view things critically and question assumptions.

Isura 05-26-2007 03:27 PM

Analytical reading and writing skills by far.

IlliniLou 05-26-2007 03:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
-how to tap a keg

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
one day in my tax accounting class our teacher said"today im gonna make sure everyone one of you doesn't die poor and maintains a wealthy lifestyle."
for the entire class he told us what to invest in with our first paychecks, what writeoffs and technicalities to do with filing taxes that will sure ourselves of a good return. told us how to save ourselves against the IRS with certain gifts and programs that we can take advantage of while we are young. how much to invest and how to invest to make sure we are millionaires by the time we are 40 if we start at age 25. Lots of lil tricks, pretty much have to read the tax code book (which is massive) to even catch a lot of these things, but no one really does.

jzpiano 05-26-2007 03:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
-how to tap a keg

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
one day in my tax accounting class our teacher said"today im gonna make sure everyone one of you doesn't die poor and maintains a wealthy lifestyle."
for the entire class he told us what to invest in with our first paychecks, what writeoffs and technicalities to do with filing taxes that will sure ourselves of a good return. told us how to save ourselves against the IRS with certain gifts and programs that we can take advantage of while we are young. how much to invest and how to invest to make sure we are millionaires by the time we are 40 if we start at age 25. Lots of lil tricks, pretty much have to read the tax code book (which is massive) to even catch a lot of these things, but no one really does.

[/ QUOTE ]

care to share or PM me with details [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

catalyst 05-26-2007 04:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
-how to tap a keg

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Cumulonimbus 05-26-2007 05:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
-how to tap a keg

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

pretty please

TheMetetron 05-26-2007 05:22 PM

I don't get a lot of these analytical reading / logical reasoning type things you guys are saying. Were you really incapable of that before college and if so were you incapable of learning to do that yourself?

Also, these lists are so short it makes me not regret for a second my decision to leave college before finishing. I didn't feel like it was useful at the time and apparently it wasn't going to get much more useful.

TheMetetron 05-26-2007 05:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's an example of my point. You didn't do this before college? If not, I guess it is good you learned that in college, but I find it hard to believe.

john voight 05-26-2007 06:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
pretty much have to read the tax code book (which is massive) to even catch a lot of these things, but no one really does.

[/ QUOTE ]

any easy to read books you can recommend? Or online forums that are useful for this? I am 20, and would like to start understanding tax loop holes @ a young age.

TY for sharing what you have so far.

Wubbie075 05-26-2007 06:05 PM

I spent my college years skipping classes and just drank and went to & threw lots of parties.. now I am an event planner

Misfire 05-26-2007 06:14 PM

How to make phat beats.

Patrick del Poker Grande 05-26-2007 06:25 PM

Metetron, it's all about picking a legitimate major if you actually want to learn new stuff other than the life lessons kinds of things you're complaining about.

mmbt0ne 05-26-2007 06:29 PM

Come on PDPG, anyone can learn what you know with wikipedia.

chiachu 05-26-2007 06:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't get a lot of these analytical reading / logical reasoning type things you guys are saying. Were you really incapable of that before college and if so were you incapable of learning to do that yourself?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well i suppose i was able to problem solve and think critically out of high school, but college gave me to opportunity to apply these things to various engineering topics/problems. Some of which i use directly at work. Could i have learned these things on my own? Maybe, but i doubt it would have been as effective. Some professors/TAs are pretty useless, so learning the material on your own is what you end up doing. But contrary to what i think alot of students say (usually as an excuse), a decent percentage of professors can actually teach pretty well.. making learning much more efficient then if i had tried on my own.

[ QUOTE ]

Also, these lists are so short it makes me not regret for a second my decision to leave college before finishing. I didn't feel like it was useful at the time and apparently it wasn't going to get much more useful.

[/ QUOTE ]

College definately isnt for everyone, and in general seems to be overrated. I think this is especially true for most people who get liberal arts degrees. But also applies to people who already know exactly what they want to do in life, and what they need to do to get there.

elus2 05-26-2007 06:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No but a lot of the growth just happened to coincide with my college years. I was doing lots of stuff during that period as well aside from school that contributed to my personal growth. University was a good kick in the ass for picking up on new ideas and developing different analytical frameworks depending on the problems one would run into.

Tom Ames 05-26-2007 07:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's an example of my point. You didn't do this before college? If not, I guess it is good you learned that in college, but I find it hard to believe.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you had to do that in high school, we probably wouldn't have been in the same classes.

goofball 05-26-2007 07:42 PM

I learned plenty about physics, economics, and psychology. I also learned how/how much to drink plus lots about seattle in general.