Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Science, Math, and Philosophy (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   Why did we get different races under Christianity. (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=409916)

Stan Loh 05-23-2007 05:55 AM

Why did we get different races under Christianity.

My friend and I was debating on the topic about different races if we followed Christianity. It says the first two humans were Adam and Eve, so supposedly they are white or any other race for that matter, moving along, how did we get other races like asian, african, etc. Could it be one of their offspring somewhere along the way had like a sunburn or something and the child got some of his properties? And it kept going?

And also, take away Christianity. How did we get different races under human evolution?

SNOWBALL 05-23-2007 05:57 AM

Re: Why did we get different races under Christianity.

[ QUOTE ]

My friend and I was debating on the topic about different races if we followed Christianity. It says the first two humans were Adam and Eve, so supposedly they are white or any other race for that matter, moving along, how did we get other races like asian, african, etc. Could it be one of their offspring somewhere along the way had like a sunburn or something and the child got some of his properties? And it kept going?

[/ QUOTE ]

sunburned people don't give birth to sunburned children. That's not how heredity works at all.

yukoncpa 05-23-2007 05:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Post Extras

[/ QUOTE ]

Some Christians believe that the Mark of Cain was a darkening of his skin by God , as punishment for killing his brother. All his seed are also punished for his sin. Asians, I suppose, must be just halfway sinful.

Alex-db 05-23-2007 06:02 AM

It could have been the Christian answer though; they wouldn't let reality get in the way.

A sunburn story actually sounds like it could have come right from the bible, with men created from dirt and women materialising from ribs.

The Church of Jesus Christ Latter-Day Saints apparently believe native americans were coloured by God for murdering the natives.

yukoncpa 05-23-2007 06:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The Church of Jesus Christ Latter-Day Saints apparently believe native americans were coloured by God for murdering the natives.

[/ QUOTE ] You mean the wicked natives ( the lamenites ) were coloured for killing the rightious natives ( the nephites ) That's fair isn't it?

Alex-db 05-23-2007 06:26 AM

I wouldn't judge a hypothetical judgement. It wouldn't be unfair for colour to have come through hereditary sunburn.

I think OPs second question is much more useful.

I'm certainly no expert, but I'm going to guess that reproductive selection led to paler skin in geographical areas where it didn't impede life expectancy.

Roland32 05-23-2007 06:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't judge a hypothetical judgement. It wouldn't be unfair for colour to have come through hereditary sunburn.

I think OPs second question is much more useful.

I'm certainly no expert, but I'm going to guess that reproductive selection led to paler skin in geographical areas where it didn't impede life expectancy.

[/ QUOTE ]

The body produces vitamin E from sunlight. The stronger the sunlight the more melanin you need to protect yourself from the suns damage. It a balance between these two interests that most likely caused skin color change, which also explains the geographic differences, i.e. closer to the equater darker the skin.

NotReady 05-23-2007 10:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]

how did we get other races like asian, african, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Micro-evolution.

luckyme 05-23-2007 11:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

how did we get other races like asian, african, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Micro-evolution.

[/ QUOTE ]

Which mutations are barred under 'rules of microevolution'? Could a chicken develop web feet? Could a chicken develop a wider bill? Could a chicken with web feet develop a wider bill?
Top of the head examples, do what you can with the idea.

thanks, luckyme

NotReady 05-23-2007 11:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Which mutations are barred under 'rules of microevolution'?

[/ QUOTE ]

Those which God didn't program.

2OuterJitsu 05-23-2007 11:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]

And also, take away Christianity. How did we get different races under human evolution?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sons of Noah
This link is a summary of once popular thought. Good starting point. I don't endorse it, just passing it along.

Alex-db 05-23-2007 11:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Is this 2+2 "levelling"?

Duke 05-23-2007 11:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Is this 2+2 "levelling"?

[/ QUOTE ]

You must be new here. No, he's serious.

NotReady 05-23-2007 11:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Is this 2+2 "levelling"?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, which mutations are barred under 'rules of chance + impersonal natural law'?

Alex-db 05-23-2007 11:36 AM

None of them.

But the ones that don't end up reproducing themselves are unlikely to occur frequently in nature.

NotReady 05-23-2007 11:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]

None of them.

[/ QUOTE ]

So a cow could mutate to a bald eagle? Though it would be a short-lived species, I guess.

Duke 05-23-2007 11:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

None of them.

[/ QUOTE ]

So a cow could mutate to a bald eagle? Though it would be a short-lived species, I guess.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. But, is it more likely than 1 in a googol?

Alex-db 05-23-2007 11:44 AM

I guess it would be something like saying that Everest could be weathered by one tornado into being an exact copy of Mont Blanc, but I can't see a thought-experiment problem with it at the extremes of chance.

Of course, cow DNA happens to reasonably accurately and consistently build new cows. As you said, big errors tend to be short lived since chance isn't good at building repeatability.

NotReady 05-23-2007 11:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]

chance isn't good at building repeatability.

[/ QUOTE ]

Chance should take some lessons from God.

Duke 05-23-2007 11:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

chance isn't good at building repeatability.

[/ QUOTE ]

Chance should take some lessons from God.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess chance is to blame for the mule, then.

Inso0 05-23-2007 02:54 PM

Adam and Eve were probably middle brown in color. Think islander.

The ol' AaBb argument.

AaBb is capable of producing 16 combinations of color.

AABB = that really dark supermodel who's name escapes me
aabb = marilyn manson

If Adam and Eve were AaBb they could produce children all over the skin color spectrum over time.

As far as the other things that make the races seem distinct. I.E. big flat noses on black people, aisan eyes, etc... these are all things that can result due to geographic isolation.

Many people believe the Tower of Babel had something to do with this.

Sephus 05-23-2007 03:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As far as the other things that make the races seem distinct. I.E. big flat noses on black people, aisan eyes, etc... these are all things that can result due to geographic isolation.

[/ QUOTE ]

why did you post that half-assed explanation of skin color heredity when you could have said "it can result due to geographic isolation" like everything else?

Inso0 05-23-2007 03:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

why did you post that half-assed explanation of skin color heredity when you could have said "it can result due to geographic isolation" like everything else?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see what your beef is. Seems to me you're just being combative.

The OP inquired how Christians explain the races. I merely said that Adam and Eve's DNA would have contained all the information for the variety we see today.

The exact same concept would apply to the rest of the animal kingdom.

Again, what exactly is your problem?

Sephus 05-23-2007 04:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see what your beef is. Seems to me you're just being combative.

The OP inquired how Christians explain the races. I merely said that Adam and Eve's DNA would have contained all the information for the variety we see today.

The exact same concept would apply to the rest of the animal kingdom.

Again, what exactly is your problem?

[/ QUOTE ]

the problem is that you had the option to be that vague in the first place and you didn't take it.

Hopey 05-23-2007 04:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Many people believe the Tower of Babel had something to do with this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course! Makes total sense now.

soon2bepro 05-23-2007 04:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How did we get different races under human evolution?

[/ QUOTE ]

You're kidding, right? The most basic understanding of evolution explains this. If you don't know, you can't know what evolution is. Try this.

T50_Omaha8 05-23-2007 04:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]

The ol' AaBb argument.

aabb = marilyn manson

If Adam and Eve were AaBb they could produce children all over the skin color spectrum over time.

[/ QUOTE ]Yup, and God spread the races out across the planet in such a way that skin pigmentation and proximity to the equator correlate nearly perfectly to provide evidence for heretical theories of human history which God created to test our faith, obv.

NotReady 05-23-2007 05:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]

which God created to test our faith

[/ QUOTE ]

Which faith might that be?

vhawk01 05-23-2007 05:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

which God created to test our faith

[/ QUOTE ]

Which faith might that be?

[/ QUOTE ]

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...Faith_Hill.jpg

She passed.

Inso0 05-23-2007 07:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

The ol' AaBb argument.

aabb = marilyn manson

[/ QUOTE ]Yup, and God spread the races out across the planet in such a way that skin pigmentation and proximity to the equator correlate nearly perfectly to provide evidence for heretical theories of human history which God created to test our faith, obv.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you telling me that it's impossible to hypothesize that light skinned people might have realized, "Hey, you know this sun thing sucks ass. We keep dying of skin disease and these nasty burns. Not to mention it's just SO FOOKING HOT ALL THE TIME, maybe we should try and seek a more temperate climate instead of living.

You don't think that's even remotely possible?

I only bring this up to point out that there is more than one way of looking at a particular circumstance.

How do you explain the dark skinned inuit? Last I checked, Alaska wasn't exactly all that close to the equator.

vhawk01 05-23-2007 08:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

The ol' AaBb argument.

aabb = marilyn manson

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you telling me that it's impossible to hypothesize that light skinned people might have realized, "Hey, you know this sun thing sucks ass. We keep dying of skin disease and these nasty burns. Not to mention it's just SO FOOKING HOT ALL THE TIME, maybe we should try and seek a more temperate climate instead of living.

You don't think that's even remotely possible?

I only bring this up to point out that there is more than one way of looking at a particular circumstance.

How do you explain the dark skinned inuit? Last I checked, Alaska wasn't exactly all that close to the equator.

[/ QUOTE ]

That all of them did this is not impossible, but it is probably ~ 1/googol.

BillNye 05-23-2007 08:11 PM

There is a gene for skin pigment, could of been a mutation (there are some good / neutral mutations).

Inso0 05-23-2007 08:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There is a gene for skin pigment, could of been a mutation (there are some good / neutral mutations).

[/ QUOTE ]

Example?

Inso0 05-23-2007 08:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So you think the odds of human ancestors not very tolerant to extreme temperatures to have had the intelligence to MOVE are 1:100000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 0000000
0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000?

When it's 90 degrees outside, I think the odds of you turning on the air conditioning is a little better than that.

I also think the odds of someone figuring out that it gets cooler the further north/south you go are a bit better than that too.

Edited by Rduke55 to fit the window

vhawk01 05-23-2007 08:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So you think the odds of human ancestors not very tolerant to extreme temperatures to have had the intelligence to MOVE are 1:100000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 0000000000
0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000?

When it's 90 degrees outside, I think the odds of you turning on the air conditioning is a little better than that.

I also think the odds of someone figuring out that it gets cooler the further north/south you go are a bit better than that too.

[/ QUOTE ]

ALL of them? ALL of them decided to move? ALL people decided to align themselves with the the appropriate sun conditions all over the globe? Its pretty unlikely. Not sure if its 1/googol, that was a bit of an inside joke, but its well outside the realm of reasonable possibility.

Inso0 05-23-2007 09:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So you think the odds of human ancestors not very tolerant to extreme temperatures to have had the intelligence to MOVE are 1:100000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 000000000
00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000?

[/ QUOTE ]

ALL of them? ALL of them decided to move? ALL people decided to align themselves with the the appropriate sun conditions all over the globe? Its pretty unlikely. Not sure if its 1/googol, that was a bit of an inside joke, but its well outside the realm of reasonable possibility.

[/ QUOTE ]

Again, how do you explain the inuit?

vhawk01 05-23-2007 09:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So you think the odds of human ancestors not very tolerant to extreme temperatures to have had the intelligence to MOVE are 1:100000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000
000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Again, how do you explain the inuit?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm...never really thought about it. The answer appears to be seals. Interesting, huh?

Stop quoting it when this happens, jerks. I'm not paid by the hour you know.

hasugopher 05-23-2007 10:54 PM

I don't want to derail this discussion in any way, I just want to point out it appears that Inso0 makes a complete fool out of himself on a number of different topics.

As an outside observer, it is rather humorous to me. Carry on.

T50_Omaha8 05-24-2007 12:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How do you explain the dark skinned inuit?

[/ QUOTE ] Because they arrived on the american landmass relatively recently, genetic adaptation has yet to take place in the people of the north america as thoroughly as it has in the rest of the world. This seems to support my theory much more than it supports your 'theory.'

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] It's not at all impossible to hypothesize it.

On a side note, I hypothesize that it's going to rain donuts tomorrow, and then the sugar gumdrop princess will become my bride and we'll happily rule Candyland.

vhawk01 05-24-2007 12:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
How do you explain the dark skinned inuit?

[/ QUOTE ] Because they arrived on the american landmass relatively recently, genetic adaptation has yet to take place in the people of the north america as thoroughly as it has in the rest of the world. This seems to support my theory much more than it supports your 'theory.'

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] It's not at all impossible to hypothesize it.

On a side note, I hypothesize that it's going to rain donuts tomorrow, and then the sugar gumdrop princess will become my bride and we'll happily rule Candyland.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm actually not sure that really is the explanation for the Inuits, although I don't know for sure. A quick Google search implied that there really isn't much selective pressure on the Inuits to adapt to a lighter skin, because they get enough Vitamin D through their diet.