Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Puzzles and Other Games (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Poggers Favorite Sports Teams (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=408070)

CPFB 05-20-2007 11:00 PM

Poggers Favorite Sports Teams

For me, just about any Texas Longhorns (obv) team is my favorite team.

As far as pro teams, I've always been a Cowboys fan. My first season as a Cowboys fan was the 1-15 season where we beat the Redskins on Sunday Night Football. My dad let me stay up with him to watch the game even though "there was no way the Cowboys [would] win."

I don't have as strong allegiance to any other sports teams, but I do like the San Antonio Spurs (because of David Robinson), the Houston Astros (because the Rangers suck), and the Dallas Stars (because of Belfour).

And of course, bosox > yankees! Hell, my favorite baseball team is the team that is playing the yankees.

ASPoker8 05-20-2007 11:03 PM

Re: Poggers Favorite Sports Teams

All Boston teams

Florida Gators

Neil S 05-20-2007 11:06 PM

Lakers
Dodgers
Ship it.

Choosing favorites in the playoffs, in series where my teams aren't involved, gets complicated, though.

MLB: I hate the Giants. I dislike the Red Sox. NL > AL. In the AL I favor the Yankees by defualt.

NBA: I prefer not to see the Heat, Spurs, Mavericks, or maybe the Pistons win. West > East. I like Don Nelson, Steve Nash, and their kind of game.

shortline99 05-20-2007 11:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
All Boston teams

[/ QUOTE ]

fmxda 05-20-2007 11:11 PM

NFL: Giants
MLB: Yankees
NHL: Rangers
college: Michigan

Dislike: Ohio State, Eagles, Cowboys, Red Sox, NBA in general

I actually don't mind the Mets too much.

FCBLComish 05-20-2007 11:19 PM

As stated in the other thread, Phillies and Eagles.

lastchance 05-20-2007 11:23 PM

Like the Seahawks. The spurs were really impressive this year, and Duncan just rules. Just good basketball is really fun to watch, and bad basketball is awful to watch.

MLB: I hate pretty much every team that everyone else likes. Hate the Red Sox and the Yankees.

Neil S 05-20-2007 11:25 PM

Yeah I like Tim Duncan, even if his wide-eyed whines get ridiculous after a while, heh. But Bruce Bowen's play is dangerous and bad for the league, and I hate the way Popovich defends it all.

chim17 05-20-2007 11:37 PM

Broncos, screw the rest.

chuckleslovakian 05-20-2007 11:55 PM

UK basketball and football
Cincinnati Bengals

Our House 05-21-2007 12:14 AM

http://www.thesmilies.com/mlb/yankees.gif

antidan444 05-21-2007 12:27 AM

Maryland's men's basketball team.

Truthfully, once covering sports became my job, I find the fan in me really disappeared. When I'm not working, most of the time I just want to get away from it.

That said, I love my job. I get paid to watch games. Kewl.

fmxda 05-21-2007 12:30 AM

antidan,

What sports/teams do you cover? Any teams in the 4 major professional sports?

antidan444 05-21-2007 12:43 AM

I work for a medium-size paper in Western Maryland and cover mostly high school sports (I'm in charge of all boys soccer, volleyball, basketball, baseball and softball stuff) and the occassional Hagerstown Suns minor league baseball game. Our staff is too small to make the trip to cover the main pro teams (Orioles, Nationals, Redskins, Ravens, Wizards, Capitals), so we just run AP stories.

When I first started I thought I would someday try to get a job for the Baltimore Sun or Washington Post with an eye on covering pro sports, but honestly, A) I really don't like big cities, I'm more of a quiet, small-town guy, and B) there's something about the "innocence" of high school sports that I find refreshing.

Patton4 05-21-2007 12:44 AM

The SF Giants are my favorite team overall but football is my favorite sport by far.

MLB: SF Giants (I absolutely hate the Dodgers and Yankees)
NFL: 49ers (NFC West champions next season!! You heard it here first!)
NCAA football: never had a college team till I was forced to choose one last year... so I chose Cal, the most local team that matters in college football. My college got rid of its football program the year before I got there.
NBA: not much of a fan, but I semi-follow the Warriors and Kings. I like basketball, but just don't really get into it.
NHL: Blackhawks and Sharks (was a Blackhawk fan, but then I got a local team in the early 90's, so I split my allegiance.. don't follow hockey much except for the playoffs anymore)

lastchance 05-21-2007 12:53 AM

OH, that's just plain disgusting.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

And LOL, no.

fmxda 05-21-2007 12:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I believe this.

kyro 05-21-2007 01:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I believe this.

[/ QUOTE ]

It could happen. I think the hawks are still the faves, but the 49ers will make it a contest.

For me, all Boston teams, and all Penn State teams. I despise the Yankees and Lakers for obvious reasons.

JaredL 05-21-2007 01:03 AM

I'm strange as I'm from Oregon, live in Pittsburgh, have a lot of family in/from the Bay area and studied in Sevilla for 5 months.

Pro:
soccer - Sevilla Fútbol Club
nfl - Steelers, Niners (though they killed me when they hired Ericson as their coach a while ago)
mlb - Giants and somewhat the Pirates, I don't follow baseball too much though until early September or so.
nhl - Penguins
NBA - Blazers. I follow college bball a lot more than the NBA. When I lived in Oregon I followed Portland more than now.

College
All sports - Oregon

I go to Pitt and I guess I sort of go for them but not really. I have been to a few games and did cheer then but otherwise I don't care at all.

ESKiMO-SiCKNE5S 05-21-2007 02:33 AM

Liverpool FC

Spook 05-21-2007 02:51 AM

Tigers and Pistons.
Used to watch the Red Wings when hockey sort of had a following.

FCBLComish 05-21-2007 03:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Tigers and Pistons.
Used to watch the Red Wings when hockey sort of had a following.

[/ QUOTE ]

Red Wings are hot about now actually.

valenzuela 05-21-2007 03:23 AM

Liverpool FC and Tennessee Titans.

Cueballmania 05-21-2007 03:59 AM

Favorite pro football team: Jacksonville Jaguars
Favorite pro basketball team: San Antonio Spurs
Favorite pro baseball team: Seattle Mariners

JaredL 05-21-2007 04:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Favorite pro football team: Jacksonville Jaguars
Favorite pro basketball team: San Antonio Spurs
Favorite pro baseball team: Seattle Mariners

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you rand() these teams?

HerbieGRD 05-21-2007 04:06 AM

College everything: Georgia Bulldogs
MLB: Atlanta Braves
NFL: Minnesota Vikings
NHL: Atlanta Thrashers (only because the North Stars don't exist anymore)
NBA: Yuck (I guess the Hawks but ugh - awful)

Cueballmania 05-21-2007 04:14 AM

My first football game I watched was Jacksonville against Carolina in the expansion game. I liked green, so I cheered for the jags. They lost, but I kept cheering and have since become a pretty big fan.

I watched a bunch of Wake Forest and really liked Tim Duncan. I followed him to the Spurs. I'm not a huge NBA fan, but I enjoy watching the occasional game and always want Tim to win.

Seattle was from a movie I forgot what the name was. A little kid grew became the manager for the Twins and in the end lost to Randy Johnson and the Mariners. I liked them.

Needless to say, in South Dakota most people are Minnesota fans. My whole family likes them, so I couldn't conform. I always told my father, my second favorite team is always whoever is playing against Minnesota.

clowntable 05-21-2007 07:28 AM

BVB09, Sooners, Raiders, Dodgers, Suns, no idea about the NHL
I also like a bunch of one player sports.

Nicholasp27 05-21-2007 08:55 AM

Atlanta Hawks

Alabama Crimson Tide

Braves/Falcons/Thrashers

mute 05-21-2007 09:00 AM

Been a Red Sox fan for more than 13 years. I like most American sports, but I don't really have a favorite NFL or NBA team.

His Boy Elroy 05-21-2007 09:14 AM

I'm a Cleveland boy, so I go with the Browns, Cavaliers, Indians, and Ohio State for college sports.

Outside of hometown teams, I like the Colts and the Suns, and I don't have any other favorite baseball team.

Thebram 05-21-2007 09:14 AM

Terps and Cleveland Browns

That is all

Zurvan 05-21-2007 09:19 AM

Maple Leafs, Blue Jays, Raptors, obv

For now, I'm a Colts fan, but my NFL fandom pretty much follows around whatever team I enjoy watching the most at the time.

Oh yeah, I also root for the Suns. Gotta love the Canadians kicking ass in pro sports.

Stephen H 05-21-2007 10:46 AM

Houston teams > Texas teams >> everything else.
SFO/Oakland/Denver can get some love occasionally due to strong family ties there.

MDoranD 05-21-2007 11:14 AM

Grew up in Massachusetts so im a huge Patriots fane. (Btw, Tom Brady to Randy Moss? Pats go 19-0 this year write it down)

Also big Red Sox fan, not as much with the Celtics and Bruins but i hardly follow those sports at all.

ScottHoward v3.1 05-21-2007 11:15 AM

somebody please move this thread to the proper forum, thx

Fishmonger 05-21-2007 11:21 AM

Munster Rugby
Leinster Rugby
Anyone who is playing against England

DustinG 05-21-2007 11:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The SF Giants are my favorite team overall but football is my favorite sport by far.

MLB: SF Giants (I absolutely hate the Dodgers and Yankees)
NCAA football: never had a college team till I was forced to choose one last year... so I chose Cal, the most local team that matters in college football. My college got rid of its football program the year before I got there.
NBA: not much of a fan, but I semi-follow the Warriors and Kings. I like basketball, but just don't really get into it.
NHL: Blackhawks and Sharks (was a Blackhawk fan, but then I got a local team in the early 90's, so I split my allegiance.. don't follow hockey much except for the playoffs anymore)

[/ QUOTE ]

Patton,

where do you live? I was born in Berkeley and most of my extended family is in the Bay Area.

Giants, Niners, and Cal I'm fans of. Also MU (Missouri). Hockey, St. Louis Blues I guess but im not much of a fan. Basketball? I can root for the Suns .

chim17 05-21-2007 12:09 PM

lol @ Patriots undefeated.

KyrosMother 05-21-2007 01:14 PM

All Boston teams, Penn State, Virginia Tech (OK, those were obvious).

Other than that, I like most NFL teams, except Oakland and Dallas. I was a big Miami fan during the Bob Greise, Dan Marino years....not so much now.

Prefer ACC teams in NCAA basketball.

Have no clue where the hockey teams are located.

And hate any New York teams...in any sport...at any level...