Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Shaving: Merkur Safety Razors (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=404487)

AZK 05-16-2007 10:14 AM

Shaving: Merkur Safety Razors

Old school razors: http://www.classicshaving.com/catalo...941/284046.htm

The claim: these give just as good a shave as 3/5 blade new razors...

Anyone use these over gillette/schick stuff and can back up the claim?

onthebutton 05-16-2007 05:12 PM

Re: Shaving: Merkur Safety Razors

AZK, I sent you a PM about this, but will comment briefly.

Safety razors and wet-shaving in general is far superior to using cartridge razors with any number of blades. I used the Mach 3 type of razor forever, and once I tried wet-shaving with a safety razor, I've never gone back.

Skoob 05-16-2007 05:25 PM

I've been thinking about getting a safety razor myself. I agree that all cartridge/disposables suck equally. I have been using the cheapest single blade disposables I could find.

OTB, have you tried dry shaving with a good Norelco electric? When I say "dry" I mean you prep your face with talc before shaving (and after washing your face, obv).

Blarg 05-16-2007 05:31 PM

I found Norelcos broke down extremely fast. Often they wouldn't work for even 6 months.

Panasonics used to be good, but not really anymore.

Skoob 05-16-2007 05:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I found Norelco's broke down extremely fast. Often they wouldn't work for even 6 months.

Panasonics used to be good, but not really anymore.

[/ QUOTE ]
I've had my Norelco for 4 years. I'm on my 5th set of blades in it.

Blarg 05-16-2007 05:36 PM

Maybe they started making them better. I bought I think four of them over time before I just gave up.

BradleyT 05-16-2007 06:05 PM

Never heard of wetshaving. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6886845/ long but interesting details of how to wetshave.

I've used a DE razor for 10 years and wouldn't switch to anything else.

hyde 05-16-2007 06:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Old school razors: http://www.classicshaving.com/catalo...941/284046.htm

The claim: these give just as good a shave as 3/5 blade new razors...

Anyone use these over gillette/schick stuff and can back up the claim?

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you enjoy a good facial bleed from time to time?
the old style can give a good shave but you can't lose focus.
I prefer to shave in the shower and find the electric gillette Fusion to be absolutely adequate. I haven't bled in years.

Golden_Rhino 05-16-2007 07:18 PM

I used the Gillette Sensor since I started shaving 17 years ago. I recently switched to a safety razor and I love it. I cut the hell out of my face the first time, but now that I am more careful I get a perfect shave, less irritation and they are cheaper than the Sensor.

jzpiano 05-16-2007 07:32 PM

I use this

http://www.classicshaving.com/catalo...646/731130.htm

Just got it 2 months ago. The blades are ULTRA ULTRA sharp. I have cut myself several times with it. However, it gives me a super close shave, that is unmatched with anything else.

Does anybody know of any other blades that could fit into this because frankly I think the feather ones are too sharp and I don't like walking around looking like I got into a fight with a cat somedays.

jws43yale 05-16-2007 08:20 PM

I wetshave with a Merkur as well. Love it. Much less irritation with a closer shave. Just buy one of those aluminum stick things to stop bleeding when you do cut yourself. Also make sure to have a good aftershave.

Jzpiano, there are some type of Israeli blades that some people prefer to Feathers. I would recommend Googling.

These are the blades: http://cgi.ebay.com/100-Super-Platinum-I...9QQcmdZViewItem

You can probably find them somewhere other than ebay.

jzpiano 05-16-2007 08:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I wetshave with a Merkur as well. Love it. Much less irritation with a closer shave. Just buy one of those aluminum stick things to stop bleeding when you do cut yourself. Also make sure to have a good aftershave.

Jzpiano, there are some type of Israeli blades that some people prefer to Feathers. I would recommend Googling.

These are the blades: http://cgi.ebay.com/100-Super-Platinum-I...9QQcmdZViewItem

[/ QUOTE ]

Thx for the link, I don't think these will work with a straight razor or will they?

mmbt0ne 05-16-2007 08:31 PM

http://www.f2f2s.com/images/workbonus.jpg

I use these because they were free. I actually like them a lot more than the Fusion I was using before.

onthebutton 05-16-2007 08:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]

OTB, have you tried dry shaving with a good Norelco electric? When I say "dry" I mean you prep your face with talc before shaving (and after washing your face, obv).

[/ QUOTE ]

I have not used an electric razor for any significant period of time. The limited times I have used one, I've really disliked it. I'd rank it below the usual cartridge-type (Mach 3, Fusion, etc) razors.

guids 05-16-2007 08:36 PM

I like to give a quick pass over my face with an electric while Im putzing around teh house, before I hop in the shower and shave for real, I tend to be able to get a much better shave.

getmoney111 05-16-2007 08:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i use a norelco electric i got as a gift, it is so-so if im in a rush it works okay but im i have time i perfer blade. My question is i dont use Talc, i just grab my electric and get to work. Should i being using talc (and what is it) what about shick's letric shave gel stuff i have seen commericals for?

hosstito 05-16-2007 09:30 PM

i got into wet shaving thanks to this thread and have since become pretty addicttted to it. once you get your technique down, the shaves really are a lot better, not to mention it actually being a pleasurable experience rather than a chore. before i was using mach 3 / gillette fusion and canned gel and hated it.

just checked classicshaving and noticed they have this other variety of the merkur now. tempted to order one.

also, someone mentioned places to get blades, this store has a good selection. the next thing i really want to try though are these shaving soaps. everyone seems to rave about them on the various shaving nerd forums.

RacersEdge 05-16-2007 09:53 PM

I love my Mach 3 - can't imagine something better.

Los Feliz Slim 05-16-2007 09:56 PM

These things all shave TOO close for me, resulting in ingrown hairs. I reverted to the Sensor.

jws43yale 05-16-2007 11:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thx for the link, I don't think these will work with a straight razor or will they?

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh no, I thought you were looking for safety razor blades.

AvivaSimplex 05-17-2007 12:13 AM

I took up the whole thing a couple months ago, with the beaver hair brush, Merkur razor and blades, and Proraso shaving soap. In order to get that baby's-butt clean shave, I still have to shave against the grain. Specifically, I do one shave with the grain and then another against it. I switched to Derby brand blades, which are a little duller than Merkur, and I get zero irritation from the second time through.

onthebutton 05-17-2007 01:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
These things all shave TOO close for me, resulting in ingrown hairs. I reverted to the Sensor.

[/ QUOTE ]

LFS,

My experience is exactly the opposite. I used to have a terrible time with ingrown hairs and razor burn using a Mach 3 or something similar. I think part of it is due to the pressure that you seem to need to apply in order to get what feels like a good shave. Since I switched to wet-shaving, I never get ingrown hairs, and only get razor burn if I [censored] up when I'm shaving. And, the shave is much closer. Again, I think it's due to the pressure. If you exert the same pressure with a safety razor that you seem to need to exert with a Mach 3, you'll peel layers of your face off. All of this stuff is YMMV though. Wet-shaving takes more time, but for me the end result and comfort is worth it.

jzpiano 05-17-2007 02:55 AM

Can anybody help me?! I don't want to have to buy another razor, just looking for a blade change.

edfurlong 05-17-2007 03:04 AM

You could hack up a couple newspapers to dull it a bit.

jzpiano 05-17-2007 03:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

might be a viable solution. After 1 days shave the razor is fine and I have no problems. It is just that first day, blah...

hosstito 05-17-2007 05:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i've also seen people talk about running new feather blades through a cork once or twice before using them. might also be worth a try.

Runkmud 05-17-2007 11:52 AM

Woot! Just received my merkur, badger hair brush, two tubs of Taylor of Old Bond street cream, and a stand. Can't wait to try this stuff out, of course I'll probably look like a attempted murder victim on the first try, but still!

JPinAZ 05-17-2007 12:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Can anybody help me?! I don't want to have to buy another razor, just looking for a blade change.

[/ QUOTE ]

With the prices of disposable cartridges, you really ought to think about getting a Merkur (or any other DE safety razor). You can pick up a Merkur classic for around $25. 100 blades from the Ebay auction linked above will be about $15. So by just changing your razor, you can have two year's worth of shaving for an initial outlay of $40.

ryanj247 05-17-2007 12:50 PM

been wet shaving for a long time. it's funny, when i posted about this last year i practically got a * for it. now i guess wet shaving is cool around here lol. anyways, i highly recommend the following:

1) get a block of versaille soap. after soaking your brush, lather up the brush on the block of soap. then take this "loaded" brush and go ahead and make the lather of shaving cream in your palm. the versaille soap interacts with the cream to make a much better lather.

2) i like the creams and aftershaves from Art of Shaving . they're manufactured in england using the same process as Trumper, Taylor's, etc. i especially like their sandalwood cream and aftershave.

3) i also like a product called "Code Blue" from Brave Soldier. it's a really unique aftershave product that feels great and really helps to prevent ingrown hairs and sooth razor burn.

Blarg 05-17-2007 12:58 PM

How does an aftershave product prevent ingrown hairs?

ryanj247 05-17-2007 01:37 PM

there is an ingredient in the product that has that effect, "salicylic acid". wikipedia says it does this by "causing skin cells to slough off more readily". that is, it basically thins out the topmost layer(s) of skin so that it's easier for hairs to emerge straight out of the pore and less likely they'll get trapped underneath the skin...

another product that is great for this (and has the same active ingredient) is MiN Solution2

ohgeetee 05-17-2007 02:31 PM

I prefer the Spishak Mach 20

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4F7TMlrDXtw

RacersEdge 05-17-2007 02:43 PM

What is this ingrown hair you people speak of?

Soul Daddy 05-17-2007 02:56 PM

How difficult would it be to shave one's head using this method and/or tool?

MyNameIsSamSnead 05-17-2007 02:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What is this ingrown hair you people speak of?

[/ QUOTE ]

The fact that you have to ask this question makes you blessed. Consider yourself very lucky.
Every time I shave I have to perform minor surgery on my neck.....and I still don't get them all.

Big Poppa Smurf 05-17-2007 03:05 PM

Does anyone here use a straight razor? If I'm going to switch to a more badass razor, I'm going whole hog here.

edit: I suck at the english language [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

BeeRye 05-20-2007 10:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone here use a straight razor? If I'm going to switch to a more badass razor, I'm going whole hog here.

edit: I suck at the english language [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been shaving with Merkurs and old Gillettes for a number of months now. My favourite is a Merkur "Slant". Oustanding results and I will never go back to cartridges.

I've started with straights recently, working with one of these:
http://www.vintagebladesllc.com/vsho...132&page=1
The learning curve is a little steeper, maintenance is much more than the double edge razors. But there are ways to get well honed/shave ready straights to start with so all you do is strop them.

Best part of this for me is not only the quality of shave better, but it's no longer a chore, but something I look forward to.

AvivaSimplex 05-20-2007 10:48 AM

The straight is better than cartridges, but how does it compare to quality DEs?

For maintenance, I read one article that said you should coat your blade with mineral oil after every shave. Do you seriously do that?

jeffraider 05-20-2007 02:28 PM

Re: Shaving: Merkur Safety RazorVE

I wetshave with a Merkur Hefty Classic, love it! I use Old Bond Almond shaving cream which is awesome and a badger hair brush. I have some Old Bond aftershave which feels pretty good but I don't like the smell of it, and I have some Proraso after shave which feels fantastic and smells great! Dirt cheap too compared to the expensive Old Bonds. I still use my Mach3 on days when I just have to shave ASAP and don't have time to do a proper job, it's a nice little reminder of how much Mach3s suck compared to wetshaving.

BeeRye 05-20-2007 02:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The straight is better than cartridges, but how does it compare to quality DEs?

For maintenance, I read one article that said you should coat your blade with mineral oil after every shave. Do you seriously do that?

[/ QUOTE ]

Right now...it's tough to say. I get a better shave now with a DE, but that's a matter of technique. I've only got a few shaves in with a straight. They are getting progressively better as my technique improves. If you look on the shaving forae, you'll see that opinion is divided. For me it's too early to tell, until my technique improves. Already though, only two passes with the grain with a straight and my sloppy technique, easily surpasses any shave I've had with a cartridge.

I don't coat mine with mineral oil. I just make sure the blade is dried well before storing. It's more important for a carbon steel blade than a stainless blade. If I weren't going to use the razor for a week or more, I would use food grade mineral oil on the hinge and blade.