Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Jerry Fallwell Gravely Ill (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=403728)

Los Feliz Slim 05-15-2007 01:13 PM

Jerry Fallwell Gravely Ill

[ QUOTE ]
LYNCHBURG, Virginia (AP) -- The Rev. Jerry Falwell was hospitalized in "gravely serious" condition Tuesday after being found unconscious in his office Tuesday, a Liberty University executive said.

Ron Godwin, executive vice president of Falwell's university, said Falwell was found unconscious after missing an appointment Tuesday morning.

Falwell, a television evangelist who founded the Moral Majority, became the face of the religious right in the 1980s. He later became president of the conservative Liberty University. Falwell was hospitalized twice in early 2005 for heart and lung problems.

[/ QUOTE ]

Linky

[ QUOTE ]
“AIDS is not just God's punishment for homosexuals; it is God's punishment for the society that tolerates homosexuals”

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
“Homosexuality is Satan's diabolical attack upon the family that will not only have a corrupting influence upon our next generation, but it will also bring down the wrath of God upon America.”

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
“(re: 9/11 attacks) "...throwing God out of the public square, out of the schools, the abortionists have got to bear some burden for this because God will not be mocked and when we destroy 40 million little innocent babies, we make God mad...I really believe that the pagans and the abortionists and the feminists and the gays and the lesbians who are actively trying to make that an alternative lifestyle, the ACLU, People for the American Way, all of them who try to secularize America...I point the thing in their face and say you helped this happen."”

[/ QUOTE ]

All quotes Fallwell's.

CharlieDontSurf 05-15-2007 01:15 PM

Re: Jerry Fallwell Gravely Ill

good riddance

battschr 05-15-2007 01:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
good riddance

[/ QUOTE ]

Fast Food Knight 05-15-2007 01:16 PM

I would like to hear his reasoning behind how feminists caused the attacks.

NOTE: I am nowhere near being a feminist, I'm just curious.

challenger84 05-15-2007 01:16 PM

I hope he dies a slow, painful death.

Dids 05-15-2007 01:17 PM

It's always nice when there's a death that you can really line up and get firmly behind.

Dignam 05-15-2007 01:18 PM

I'm guessing he already croaked and his Group will have a 7-14 day Prayer-a-thon to squeeze every last dollar out before they announce his death.

Dignam 05-15-2007 01:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope stem cells are the only way he doesn't.

iron81 05-15-2007 01:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm not much of a biblical scholar, but I bet there's a passage in there about how wives should be obedient to their husbands or should stay pregnant and barefoot or something.

Jack Bando 05-15-2007 01:32 PM

And Iron beats me to my idea.

Paganists? All 5 of them caused 9/11?

Anacardo 05-15-2007 01:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Paganists? All 5 of them caused 9/11?

[/ QUOTE ]

Druidic magick is a lot more powerful than any of us guessed, it turns out.

Tom1975 05-15-2007 01:38 PM

CNN reporting him dead.

hyde 05-15-2007 01:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
CNN reporting him dead.

[/ QUOTE ]

The world is a kinder place.

ThaSaltCracka 05-15-2007 01:42 PM

I don't say this often, but rest in piss you bigot.

bwana devil 05-15-2007 01:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
CNN reporting him dead.

[/ QUOTE ]

wow, wikipedia is already updated.

ChipWrecked 05-15-2007 01:48 PM

I guess I'm going to hell for immediately thinking "Yay!"

My fondest Falwell memory:

Hustler Magazine v. Falwell (1988)

[ QUOTE ]
The inside front cover of the November 1983 issue of Hustler Magazine featured a "parody" of an advertisement for Campari Liqueur that contained the name and picture of respondent and was entitled "Jerry Falwell talks about his first time." This parody was modeled after actual Campari ads...Copying the form and layout of these Campari ads, Hustler's editors chose respondent as the featured celebrity and drafted an alleged "interview" with him in which he states that his "first time" was during a drunken incestuous rendezvous with his mother in an outhouse. The Hustler parody portrays respondent and his mother as drunk and immoral, and suggests that respondent is a hypocrite who preaches only when he is drunk.

[/ QUOTE ]

esad 05-15-2007 01:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe his interpretation is that feminists. along with some other groups mentioned, have worked to make abortion legal. And this has lead to the "deaths" of many "children." So the attacks are God's punishment for not obeying the commandments. In the same vein that God punished Sodom and Gomorrah for their "wickedness" in biblical times.

I'm pretty sure that's his reasoning.

mrkilla 05-15-2007 01:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

wish semi granted

4_2_it 05-15-2007 01:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe his interpretation is that feminists. along with some other groups mentioned, have worked to make abortion legal. And this has lead to the "deaths" of many "children." So the attacks are God's punishment for not obeying the commandments. In the same vein that God punished Sodom and Gomorrah for their "wickedness" in biblical times.

I'm pretty sure that's his reasoning.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is correct. Most of his tirades always had an abortion connection.

amead 05-15-2007 02:08 PM

Where's your God now, bigot?

Hopey 05-15-2007 02:09 PM

I'm an atheist, but it's [censored] like Falwell that make me wish there is a hell. This is a great day.

niss 05-15-2007 02:11 PM

And before reading this thread I thought I might be a bad person for being sort of happy that he's gone. What was I thinking.

Dids 05-15-2007 02:11 PM

B. David says:
I'm taking today off
B. David says:
and deciding to believe in God for a day
B. David says:
and imagining him looking at Fawell and being like
B. David says:
"OH RLY"
B. David says:
and then killing him
B. David says:
because that is what I would do with a cockbag like that if I was God

nyc999 05-15-2007 02:12 PM

When I think of Falwell and others similar to him, I always think back to the West Wing where the president rips apart a right-wing radio host:

[ QUOTE ]
President Josiah Bartlet: You're Dr. Jenna Jacobs, right?

Jenna Jacobs: Yes, sir.

Bartlet: ...Forgive me, Dr. Jacobs. Are you an M.D.?

Jacobs: A Ph.D.

Bartlet: A Ph.D.

Jacobs: Yes, sir.

Bartlet: Psychology?

Jacobs: No, sir.

Bartlet: Theology?

Jacobs: No.

Bartlet: Social work?

Jacobs: I have a Ph.D. in English literature.

Bartlet: I'm asking because on your show, people call in for advice and you go by the name Dr. Jacobs on your show, and I didn't know if maybe your listeners were confused by that and assumed you had advanced training in psychology, theology or health care.

Jacobs: I don't believe they are confused, no, sir.

Bartlet: Good. I like your show. I like how you call homosexuality an abomination.

Jacobs: I don't say homosexuality is an abomination, Mr. President, the Bible does.

Bartlet: Yes, it does. Leviticus.

Jacobs: 18:22.

Bartlet: Chapter and verse. I wanted to ask you a couple of questions while I had you here. I'm interested in selling my youngest daughter into slavery as sanctioned in Exodus 21:7. She's a Georgetown sophomore, speaks fluent Italian, always cleared the table when it was her turn. What would a good price for her be? While thinking about that, can I ask another? My chief of staff, Leo McGarry, insists on working on the Sabbath. Exodus 35:2 clearly says he should be put to death. Am I morally obligated to kill him myself, or is it okay to call the police? Here's one that's really important because we've got a lot of sports fans in this town. Touching the skin of a dead pig makes one unclean. Leviticus 11:7. If they promise to wear gloves, can the Washington Redskins still play football? Can Notre Dame? Can West Point? Does the whole town really have to be together to stone my brother John for planting different crops side-by-side? Can I burn my mother in a small family gathering for wearing garments made from two different threads? Think about those questions, would you? One last thing, while you may be mistaking this for your monthly meeting of the Ignorant Tight-Ass Club, in this building, when the President stands, nobody sits.

[/ QUOTE ]

ChipWrecked 05-15-2007 02:13 PM

Can't wait for Matt and Trey's depiction of him in Hell.

Los Feliz Slim 05-15-2007 02:13 PM

This thread is making me so happy.

If somebody's killing my least favorite five people on earth, it's going to be a bad day for Ann Coulter.

Boris 05-15-2007 02:14 PM

lololol at you guys. Might want to reconsider your moral compass when another person's death brings you joy.

bisonbison 05-15-2007 02:17 PM

Take me with you, gay pride parade!

daryn 05-15-2007 02:17 PM

yeah i was kind of thinking the same thing as boris

TiK 05-15-2007 02:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Can't wait for Matt and Trey's depiction of him in Hell.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed.

niss 05-15-2007 02:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
lololol at you guys. Might want to reconsider your moral compass when you another person's death brings you joy.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are billions of people in the world. There are only about 10 whose death would make me happy. I sleep OK at night.

private joker 05-15-2007 02:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
yeah i was kind of thinking the same thing as boris

[/ QUOTE ]

What's so great about having a "correct moral compass?" I have a conscience and it's clean, and I think I'm a good person. I don't do other people harm, I don't infringe on people's rights, and I tend to think of other people and put myself in their shoes in order to do the right thing. I also think Jerry Fallwell is a scumbag. If that makes my "moral compass" off (whatever that is), so be it. I'm sure as s**t not going to be so sanctimonious as to claim I'm on any higher ground.

Boris 05-15-2007 02:28 PM

pj - are you seriously claiming there is no such thing as morals?

miajag 05-15-2007 02:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's not even close to what he's saying.

bottomset 05-15-2007 02:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When I think of Falwell and others similar to him, I always think back to the West Wing where the president rips apart a right-wing radio host:

[ QUOTE ]
President Josiah Bartlet: You're Dr. Jenna Jacobs, right?

Jenna Jacobs: Yes, sir.

Bartlet: ...Forgive me, Dr. Jacobs. Are you an M.D.?

Jacobs: A Ph.D.

Bartlet: A Ph.D.

Jacobs: Yes, sir.

Bartlet: Psychology?

Jacobs: No, sir.

Bartlet: Theology?

Jacobs: No.

Bartlet: Social work?

Jacobs: I have a Ph.D. in English literature.

Bartlet: I'm asking because on your show, people call in for advice and you go by the name Dr. Jacobs on your show, and I didn't know if maybe your listeners were confused by that and assumed you had advanced training in psychology, theology or health care.

Jacobs: I don't believe they are confused, no, sir.

Bartlet: Good. I like your show. I like how you call homosexuality an abomination.

Jacobs: I don't say homosexuality is an abomination, Mr. President, the Bible does.

Bartlet: Yes, it does. Leviticus.

Jacobs: 18:22.

Bartlet: Chapter and verse. I wanted to ask you a couple of questions while I had you here. I'm interested in selling my youngest daughter into slavery as sanctioned in Exodus 21:7. She's a Georgetown sophomore, speaks fluent Italian, always cleared the table when it was her turn. What would a good price for her be? While thinking about that, can I ask another? My chief of staff, Leo McGarry, insists on working on the Sabbath. Exodus 35:2 clearly says he should be put to death. Am I morally obligated to kill him myself, or is it okay to call the police? Here's one that's really important because we've got a lot of sports fans in this town. Touching the skin of a dead pig makes one unclean. Leviticus 11:7. If they promise to wear gloves, can the Washington Redskins still play football? Can Notre Dame? Can West Point? Does the whole town really have to be together to stone my brother John for planting different crops side-by-side? Can I burn my mother in a small family gathering for wearing garments made from two different threads? Think about those questions, would you? One last thing, while you may be mistaking this for your monthly meeting of the Ignorant Tight-Ass Club, in this building, when the President stands, nobody sits.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

but the producers copped out and didn't make the president Athiest, because right after that he goes on about being a Christian, loses the effect

TroutMaskReplica 05-15-2007 02:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

did you seriously read his post as claiming there are no such things as morals?

dietpunk 05-15-2007 02:31 PM

If God's in a shootin' mood Pat Robertson might want to keep his head down today, too.

in48092 05-15-2007 02:32 PM

Hallelulla

private joker 05-15-2007 02:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]

but the producers copped out and didn't make the president Athiest, because right after that he goes on about being a Christian, loses the effect

[/ QUOTE ]

That's fine -- Sorkin is not a realist, and his shows live in a world that's hyperstylized to accentuate certain world views, but they're never so far out of whack as to approach the realm of complete fantasy... which is what a show would have to be in order to contain a character of an atheist U.S. President.

bottomset 05-15-2007 02:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
lololol at you guys. Might want to reconsider your moral compass when another person's death brings you joy.

[/ QUOTE ]

he oppossed the Civil Rights movement, supported Apartheid

[ QUOTE ]
Jerry Falwell wrote in America Can Be Saved that "I hope I live to see the day when, as in the early days of our country, we won't have any public schools. The churches will have taken them over again and Christians will be running them."

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
After the September 11, 2001, attacks Falwell said on the 700 Club, "I really believe that the pagans, and the abortionists, and the feminists, and the gays and the lesbians who are actively trying to make that an alternative lifestyle, the ACLU, People For the American Way, all of them who have tried to secularize America. I point the finger in their face and say 'you helped this happen.'"

[/ QUOTE ]

[censored] him