Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Video Games (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=77)
-   -   Dreamcast Appreciation Post (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=400126)

Marwan 05-10-2007 05:51 PM

Dreamcast Appreciation Post

The DC brings back fond memories for me.. If I recall correctly, I got mine back in 2000 when I was like 14..

Of course I had no money at the time, but my mom, being cool about these types of things, knowing full well I would probably get bored of it a year or two later, just like everything else, bought it for me. First game I played was RE: Code Veronica.

I loved the sports games, the Sega Sports 2K franchise is still preferred over the EA stuff for me.. NFL2K, NBA2K, Virtua Tennis (!) all fun stuff.

Then I played Shenmue, but never finished it.. Along with stuff like Jet Grind Radio.

So, what games do you recommend? I would like to get my hands on a copy of Shenmue II, and i've heard Seaman is fun, along with stuff like Rez and great fighters like Soul Caliber.

It's a pity that this system died out, there were a lot of cool niche games to be played.

Prodigy54321 05-10-2007 07:23 PM

Re: Dreamcast Appreciation Post

I didn't have a dreamcast..but a friend did...the only games I played were the sonic game for it..and a zombie shooting game (house of the dead?)..the sonic game was awesome with the little chao (I'm pretty sure they were called)..and you could breed them...that was fun...any shooting game with a gun was fun as well.

zacd 05-10-2007 07:53 PM

The Dreamcast was an amazing and wayyyy under-appreciated system much like the Sega Saturn.

Google nullDC it's a Dreamcast emulator that's in beta but runs TONS of games at full speed. Shenmue 2 never came out in the US but you can probably find the UK version online and play it w/ nullDC.

So many good memories of trying to be RE: CV in one night w/ friends and scamming fools on Phantasy Star Online.

DC still is the best choice for serious fighting gamers (apart from the actual arcade version). Marvel vs. Capcom 1 and 2, Street Fighter: 3rd Strike, Capcom vs. SNK, and I'm sure others I'm missing.

gogo dreamcast!

Valsuvious 05-10-2007 08:15 PM

Marvel vs Capcom was the [censored]

toss 05-10-2007 11:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Marvel vs Capcom 2 was the [censored]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hell yes. My hands were shaking with excitement when I got a hold of that game. Also, Virtua Tennis, Samba, Shenmue, and all the other fighting games.

Ralph Wiggum 05-10-2007 11:46 PM

Soul Caliber, Crazy Taxi

Suigin406 05-11-2007 10:41 AM

soul caliber was so sick, and then yea, the sporting games were good too

JackWilson 05-11-2007 07:07 PM

Yeah Soul CalibUR 4 life!

SirArthur 05-12-2007 05:10 AM

The Dreamcast was an amazing system.

Bear in mind, it came out 9/9/99 and in early 2001 Sega announced they were abandoning it and going to be a 3rd party software company only.

So it only had 1 1/2 years of full support from Sega, and never had the full support of major 3rd party companies.

All the lemmings were awaiting the PS2, the most over-hyped and under performing major system ever and ignored the Dreamcast.

Side by side comparisons proved DC games looked & played better than PS2 games. Rayman 2, & Grandia 2 are examples of that as well as all 2D fighters.

Getting no support from EA (and Sega made EA, those traitors) and Square really hurt.

Despite not being out very long, the DC had some great games.

CannonSpike, Soul Calibur, Grandia 2, Virtua Tennis...

Great system, in a perfect world it would have lasted as long as the PS2.

crovax4444 05-12-2007 07:05 AM

You can buy a DC used at gamestop anywhere from $15-20

You can buy the games on ebay or whatever, or pirate them.

One of the reasons why the DC wasn't a viable system was that it could play regular burned CD-Rs without a mod chip.

Crovax

Gregatron 05-12-2007 10:20 AM

Skies of Arcadia was an AWESOME DC game!

I also was addicted to Phantasy Star Online.

Great system I agree. I was a total Sega Fanboy!

mmbt0ne 05-12-2007 11:04 AM

Metropolis Street Racer [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

SurferEd 05-12-2007 08:01 PM

No love for Power Stone (2?)

bobbyi 05-12-2007 08:19 PM

My cat is named Kilik

wiper 05-12-2007 10:20 PM

i loved my dreamcast.

and then, i loved it even more when i got a burnt cd with 910 (yes, nine hundred and ten!) original nintendo games on it.

i had a running bet with my friends for $5 that they couldn't come up with a nintendo game that WASN'T on it...i ended up winning 15 bucks before they figured out they weren't going to win...

we'd be having poker nights, and i had a ps2 + 40" flat screen in one room, but everyone would be in the backroom playing nintendo on an old 25" screen...

Wheatsauce 05-13-2007 04:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]

PS2, the most over-hyped and under performing major system ever.

[/ QUOTE ]

O RLY?

SirArthur 05-13-2007 04:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

O RLY?

[/ QUOTE ]

IMO Yes, without a doubt.

Great post by the way..."O RLY" How original and informative. If you disagree, how about explaining why?

Wheatsauce 05-13-2007 04:54 AM

I'm sorry, just never heard this sentiment before. I didn't mean to upset you with my unoriginal and uninformative reply, I just felt it was appropriate given you throwing that claim out there seemingly as accepted fact with no explaination.

As far as why I disagree, I guess the main reason is that the PS2 had/has a ton of really good games compared to other systems, and I still play mine all the time. Another reason is that there have, IMO, been a lot of crappy major systems, especially compared to the PS2.

Perhaps it was overhyped, I'm not sure about that or why it even matters, but I surely do not think that it was underperforming, let alone the most underperforming system ever. Then again, I guess it could depend somewhat on your definition of "performing".

JackWilson 05-13-2007 07:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

O RLY?

[/ QUOTE ]

IMO Yes, without a doubt.

Great post by the way..."O RLY" How original and informative. If you disagree, how about explaining why?

[/ QUOTE ]

Taking your statement at face value, it sounds absolutely ridiculous. Define "under performing". Are you referring to the hardware? That's a statement that is at least somewhat defendable. If you're referring to how well it did for Sony, I find it ridiculous. If you're talking about how consumers wanted bigger and better games on the PS2 than what they got, I find it ridiculous.

So what exactly are you saying?

SirArthur 05-13-2007 12:18 PM

Hyped-

Exaggerated publicity; hoopla, an ingenious or questionable claim, method, etc., used in advertising, promotion, or publicity to intensify the effect.

For the hyped part, I'm largely referring to the pre launch hype surrounding the PS2 release back in the year 2000.

Here are some quotes from a Newsweek article that ran in 2000.

" But the most significant aspect of the PS2 might be its ability to hook into the Internet, making it a "Trojan horse" to bring online gaming, e-commerce, Web browsing, e-mail and downloading of music, software and video into the home.

Trojan horse huh? Sweet!

You can communicate to a new cybercity," gushes Ken Kutaragi, the visionary behind the PlayStation. "This will be the ideal home server. Did you see the movie 'The Matrix'? Same interface. Same concept. Starting from next year, you can jack into 'The Matrix'!"

It was great fun jacking into the Matrix.

The secret is the Emotion Engine, a fast, high-powered chip set that is fine-tuned to generate polygons, the building blocks of 3-D graphics. While the original PlayStation could handle a mere 360,000 polygons per second, version 2 can spit out more than 20 million: it's a jump from "South Park" to "Toy Story."

Toy Story Quality Graphics? Still waiting for those.

"It's historic, a mass-market appliance that fundamentally changes society in the way the printing press did," says Trip Hawkins, founder of Electronic Arts and CEO of 3DO. "This is a new canvas for humanity that takes us back to our nature."

Change society the way the printing press did?
Not even close.

Things like this went on for nearly a year, not to mention how apparently the PS2 was suppose to be so powerful it could launch nukes. That was a mainstream media story for a while during late 2000.

Here's a link to how Iraq bought 4,000 PS2's because they bought into the hype.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2000/12...laystation_2s/

Thus, I stand by my original comment, most over-hyped system in history.

By under-performing I simply meant it didn't deliver or come close to delivering on all the hype that surrounded it.

No doubt it was a huge success with consumers, sold over 100 million consoles world wide and made millions of gamers happy.

However, it did not perform in the areas that were touted by Sony, and live up to all the pre launch hype.

That is why I believed it under-peformed, it did not deliver on what was promised by the Sony hype machine.

SirArthur 05-13-2007 12:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
.Perhaps it was overhyped, I'm not sure about that or why it even matters, but I surely do not think that it was underperforming, let alone the most underperforming system ever. Then again, I guess it could depend somewhat on your definition of "performing".

[/ QUOTE ]

It matter for the context of my original post in this thread.
I was attempting to explain why in part, I believe the masses largely neglected the Dreamcast, instead waiting for the PS2 release.

JackWilson 05-13-2007 03:09 PM

Something being over-hyped is very much relative to its environment, and in the entertainment/multimedia industry there are very few products that deliver on all their promises. Taking that into account and the fact that the PS2 was the best console of its generation, I just don't see how you can think it was over-hyped. Sorry.
he Dreamcast was a legitimately better system than the PS2.
This is made even more silly because you equate over-hyped with under-performed when the one is not necessary nor sufficient for the other.

To illustrate this point very simply, let's go back a couple of years. Nintendo are the world leaders in video game entertainment and the new Mario game gets announced. No explanation of features, no hype whatsoever. No promises. It gets shipped, gamers play it and

a) Love it - it performed well
b) Hate it - it under-performed
c) Mixed results - it performed better than previous Mario games but not as well as the latest Sega game.

See how performance is related to expectations and environment, and not just hype? Hype is a contributing factor to expectations (more for some than others) but has no direct influence on something's performance. I don't think anyone seriously believes every press release as undisputable fact and then gets outraged when something that was announced 2 years ago does not end up in the final product.

EDIT: To relate this to the Dreamcast and your theory that gamers were waiting for a PS2 instead of a Dreamcast and that's why it was ignored: The Dreamcast was an in-between system and floundered primarily because of that. Another big contributing factor was that Sega made some extremely poor business decisions like pissing off a lot of major Japanese developers for starters. Sega's reputation at the time was pretty poor, it was released 16 months before the PS2 which meant it was an improvement on the PS and N64 but inferior to the PS2 and not truly a next-gen console. Smart business move by Sony to kill the Dreamcast buzz by announcing the PS2 when they did. Nothing more to it than that.

SirArthur 05-13-2007 04:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think anyone seriously believes every press release as undisputable fact and then gets outraged when something that was announced 2 years ago does not end up in the final product.

Outraged? Certainly not, atleast I was not.
However, Sony wasn't even in the ballpark with what they promised. The hype was truly insane in 2000 for the PS2.
The fact it was a commercial success, does not preclude it from being over-hyped.

To relate this to the Dreamcast and your theory that gamers were waiting for a PS2 instead of a Dreamcast and that's why it was ignored: The Dreamcast was an in-between system and floundered primarily because of that. Another big contributing factor was that Sega made some extremely poor business decisions like pissing off a lot of major Japanese developers for starters. Sega's reputation at the time was pretty poor, it was released 16 months before the PS2 which meant it was an improvement on the PS and N64 but inferior to the PS2 and not truly a next-gen console. Smart business move by Sony to kill the Dreamcast buzz by announcing the PS2 when they did. Nothing more to it than that

I said in part, that's why the Dreamcast failed not that it was the only reason.

Your contention the Dreamcast failed PRIMARILY because it was an in between system is silly.
All the other reasons you cited are far larger than the in between theory.
The Saturn & PS came out in 1995 (in America) and the Dreamcast came out 4 1/2 years later than the Saturn.
Just because the Dreamcast came out 13 months earlier (in America) than the PS2 does not preclude it from being a next generation system.
At the time, it was a powerful 128 bit system, and most certainly a next generation system.

DonkeyKongSr 05-13-2007 05:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Mad love for Power Stone 1 & 2 here. 4 player 3D fighting game FTW!

Suigin406 05-13-2007 06:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Mad love for Power Stone 1 & 2 here. 4 player 3D fighting game FTW!

[/ QUOTE ]

definite props to that game, such good times...

Stephen H 05-14-2007 12:50 PM

Dreamcast was a fantastic system. I'm a little surprised that controllers-with-a-screen didn't become a must-have feature on consoles. It was a little over the top the way they delivered a little removable game unit in the controller, but I'd love to have screens in controllers today and game support for them.

I'll go peek through my games and see what I remember as good; I never got Seaman to work so well (I think the first thing he said to me was "Why do Americans assume everyone speaks English?" so um...wtf) but the fighters and sports games were pretty good.
Off the top of my head Hydro Thunder hasn't been mentioned but was really, really good.

VickreyAuction 05-15-2007 02:10 AM

http://www.gamefaqs.com/features/top10/1143.html

HOWMANY 05-15-2007 03:23 AM

I honestly want to buy a DC and play some Sega Bass Fishing after reading this thread.

JackWilson 05-15-2007 07:30 PM

I'm also a little surprised that the VMU idea didn't take off more. I thought we were going to see some HUD type stuff in later generation consoles. Obviously it has some brilliant multiplayer applications, a really stupid example would be a multiplayer poker game where your hole cards are displayed on the controller.

HOWMANY 05-15-2007 08:25 PM

The VMUs were cool, but the fact is that memory cards straight up suck ass overall IMO and Xbox style where you can save on your harddrive is way better.

Gregatron 05-15-2007 08:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]

and then, i loved it even more when i got a burnt cd with 910 (yes, nine hundred and ten!) original nintendo games on it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, I still have my old Dreamcast. How can I get my hands on these old Nintendo games? What about other games/systems?

thedustbustr 05-16-2007 10:18 PM

someone pm me how to find dc_boot.bin and dc_flash.bin?

BBC Z 05-19-2007 01:07 PM

You could *BUY* games for the dreamcast? Hmm...

mikeczyz 05-20-2007 12:07 AM

loved my dreamcast.

jet grind radio, shenmue, soul calibur, marvel vs. capcom...the 2k sports series...good times.

MysteryV 05-25-2007 07:34 PM

Great system - POS controllers. Those triggers were absolute d!@k.

HUGE UPS for Street Fighter III tho - I still bust out the DC when my buddy comes into town so we can battle. Let us not forget it had SF Alpha as well (although all SF fans know SF Alpha 2 was the best incarnation).

sharpie 05-26-2007 10:48 AM

PSO and SA and Shenmue were da best!

SuperPokerJedi 05-26-2007 05:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Soul Caliber, Crazy Taxi

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT

Am jealous of you all as I always wanted one but had to put up with only an N64.

RainDog 05-27-2007 04:23 PM

How is MDK2 not getting any loving?
Too difficult for you guys? Huh? Huh!
Well, I admit to never beating the final boss, but that was an accomplishment in and of itself.

Also...SoulCaliber 'numero uno' is still the best fighter ever!

And my Crazy Taxi scores got insane through direct competition with my cousin. Played it a month ago and couldn't match a quarter of my score on the "Arcade" route. Once it started going for over an hour a run we started hating life and each other, finally, finally, finally quitting.

Many of the sports games were instant classics with special props to NBA2k on my Freshman dorm floor.

Rayman 2 was gold.

Grandia 2 and Skies of Arcadia were platinum.

And many many minor in-between games and hack n' slashers made the days go by and aided in postponing my loss of virginity until the ripe age of 18. [censored] You Dreamcast!

kevinhav11 06-04-2007 10:49 PM

powerstone was one of the most fun multiplayer games i have seen