Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Is Terrell Davis a HOFer? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=400025)

barryc83 05-10-2007 03:17 PM

Is Terrell Davis a HOFer?

TD was absolutely dominant when he was playing. It's really a shame that the guy had to cut his career short because of such a strange medical condition. He is the reason why Elway has to 2 SB rings. That's no disrespect to Elway, but it's the truth.

In college, me and my buddies who were avid sports fans would argue about this sometimes. Davis was unstoppable and a truly great player, but his career was cut short. Does someone who was this great deserve to be in the Hall of Fame even though his career was very short?

Link to stats: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terrell_Davis
(yea yea wiki's all I could find with playoffs included)

SL__72 05-10-2007 03:20 PM

Re: Is Terrell Davis a HOFer?

I wouldn't vote for him.

capone0 05-10-2007 03:21 PM

Everyone who plays behind the Denver O-line was pretty much dominant. His top flight period was way too short. Compare him to the moden day HOFers.

Payton
Sanders
Thomas
Dorsett
Dickerson
Allen
Campbell
Simpson

I know Smith will be in soon as he's eligible. I don't think he compares well to these guys. 3 amazing seasons behind a dominant o-line does not equal HOF.

brettbrettr 05-10-2007 03:28 PM

http://broadwayworld.com/photoops/ca...esar136-vi.jpg

capone0 05-10-2007 03:32 PM

He's definitely in as well. Faulk as well if you want to get down to it.

I doubt anyone thinks Priest Holmes is in. I don't think Terrell deserves a spot.

MEbenhoe 05-10-2007 03:34 PM

TD was an awesome player, but someone with that short of a career, and that short of a period of being a top player in the league will not get in.

capone0 05-10-2007 03:36 PM

I think the more marginal guys are, are Tiki Barber HOFers? How bout Corey Dillon (14th all time rushing), Eddie George.

Do you guys think LT2 will be in? I think odds he will be in.

I think SA doesn't make it unless he returns to normal.

How bout Edge?

I think most people are clear cut with TD. His career is just way too short.

barryc83 05-10-2007 03:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
TD was an awesome player, but someone with that short of a career, and that short of a period of being a top player in the league will not get in.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm confident that in actuality TD will not get the HOF. I meant, if you had a vote, would you put him in? Sorry, maybe I should've been more specific in the OP.

brettbrettr 05-10-2007 03:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He's definitely in as well. Faulk as well if you want to get down to it.

I doubt anyone thinks Priest Holmes is in. I don't think Terrell deserves a spot.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with all of the above. To me, no way TD should be in. He was awesome, but not for very long at all.

I think Tiki is probably more deeserving but I don't think he should get in either. He's an interesting discussion too, I think.

barryc83 05-10-2007 03:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've got no qualms with Curtis Martin, but his peak was not as high as Davis. He was more of a grinder if you will and played very well for a long period of time. But if I need a guy for one season or one game I'm taking TD everytime.

brettbrettr 05-10-2007 03:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But if I need a guy for one season or one game I'm taking TD everytime.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. Or maybe Faulk. But this does not make TD a HOFer.

barryc83 05-10-2007 03:41 PM

SA??? I'm drawing a blank here.

bernie 05-10-2007 03:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Otherwise, Bo Jackson would qualify.

b

brettbrettr 05-10-2007 03:42 PM

Dillon and George, no. Tiki is close, I think.

LT2, hahaha, yes. SA will have to get healthy and do what he used to. Edge, no.

barryc83 05-10-2007 03:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

b

[/ QUOTE ]

TD's career>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>&g t;>>>Bo Jackson's career.
Professional career obv.

barryc83 05-10-2007 03:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
SA??? I'm drawing a blank here.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm a [censored] moron. I went to Bama ffs haha.

brettbrettr 05-10-2007 03:50 PM

That is bad.

Dayne? HOF?

Suigin406 05-10-2007 04:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

that's what i'm talking about!

THAY3R 05-10-2007 04:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If by "TD" you mean, "A RB behind that awesome Denver System", then I would agree.

barryc83 05-10-2007 04:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If by "TD" you mean, "A RB behind that awesome Denver System", then I would agree.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh come on, how many of them rushed for 2,000 yds and 20 tds?

capone0 05-10-2007 04:20 PM

Mike Anderson in 14 Games rushed for 1487 yards and 15 TDs in 2000 with Gus Frerotte and Griese as QB.

Portis rushed well in the system.

So did Reuben.

Maybe they didn't get get 2000 yards and 20 tds, but TD only did that for 1 season. He had 3 very good seasons but that doesn't put you in the HOF.

VarlosZ 05-10-2007 04:23 PM

I'm all for giving HOF access to players with short but ridiculously high peaks -- I think Randy Moss has been a HOF'er for a while now, e.g. -- but the fact that so many no-name Denver RBs have had such great success in TD's wake ruins his candidacy in my eyes.

bernie 05-10-2007 05:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

b

[/ QUOTE ]

Professional career obv.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. And your basing this on the longevity of both. So...

HOF'ers career >>>>> TD's career

Or doesn't it work both ways?

b

Hornacek 05-10-2007 05:26 PM

No.

barryc83 05-10-2007 05:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

b

[/ QUOTE ]

Professional career obv.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. And your basing this on the longevity of both. So...

HOF'ers career >>>>> TD's career

Or doesn't it work both ways?

b

[/ QUOTE ]

I understand what you are trying to do here sir. Bo didn't ever even rush for 1000 yds. Stop making me talk bad about Bo I love him.

Assani Fisher 05-10-2007 07:14 PM

I voted "no", but I think its a very close vote. And one very key aspect that I havn't seen mentioned yet:

Terrell Davis has a legit claim as the greatest postseason RB of all time.

His stats: 8 games, 7-1 record, 2 Super Bowls, 1140 rush yards, 12 rush TDs, 5.6 yards per carry

SuperUberBob 05-10-2007 08:05 PM

Yes. In terms of this scenario, I think TD getting in is comparable to Gale Sayers getting it. Gale was incredibly dominant for a short period of time and then knee injuries ended his career.

TD was dominant for a short period of time and then his career ended early due to injuries.

BellagioPlayer 05-10-2007 10:11 PM

To me, he's basically football's answer to Kirby Puckett.

MacGuyV 05-10-2007 10:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No.

[/ QUOTE ]

UMTerp 05-11-2007 03:36 PM

Slight hijack here, but I don't think it deserves it's own thread:

How about Isaac Bruce? I'd have laughed at anybody who mentioned him at a potential HOFer a few weeks ago, but for some reason I was looking at stats the other day, and he's accumulating them to the point where it might be impossible to leave him out.

Right now, he's got 887 catches for 13376 yards (15.1 average), and 80 touchdowns. He's still going strong too - last year he was 74/1098. You want to see the list of all the WRs with 1000 catches and 15000 yards? Here it is:

1. Jerry Rice

Barring injury, Bruce will surely add his name right below. (Marvin Harrison will likely reach those milestones before Bruce as well.)

The Super Bowl win with the Rams certainly doesn't hurt either. He's already Top 10 all-time in receptions and yards, and should be Top 5 in both before he's done.

Negatives: Only 4 Pro Bowls. Only two seasons in the NFL Top 10 in catches, four in yards, and three in receiving TDs.

I'm thinking the stats he's amassed might be enough when all is said and done though. So what do you think? Is Isaac Bruce a Hall of Famer?

Jack of Arcades 05-11-2007 03:38 PM

No, this isn't the baseball HOF. Peak, dominance over peers, individual awards, etc take precedence over counting stats.

UMTerp 05-11-2007 03:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No, this isn't the baseball HOF. Peak, dominance over peers, individual awards, etc take precedence over counting stats.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're probably right - I kept thinking about Art Monk as I was typing that post.

Jack of Arcades 05-11-2007 03:58 PM

Art Monk, Jimmy Williams, etc. I mean, he'll have a chance but he was never really considered the dominant player.

PokerFink 05-11-2007 04:26 PM

Re: Bruce

If he continues to put up ~70/~1000 for a few more years, he might have a shot because his career numbers will be so good. But football players don't go through gradual declines like baseball players - many of them just drop off completely. Bruce could easily be terrible this year and out of the league in 2008.

Edit:

Look at Tim Brown
2002 (35yo): 81 - 930 - 2
2003 (36): 52 - 567 - 2
2004 (37): 24 - 200 - 1

Jerry Rice
2002 (40yo): 92 - 1211 - 7 (ridiculous)
2003 (41): 63 - 869 - 2
2004 (42): 5 - 67 - 0
2005 (43): 25 - 362 - 3

Bruce will be 35 this year.

PokerFink 05-11-2007 04:30 PM

Edited for Jimmy Smith

Monk: 940 - 12721 - 68
Bruce: 887 - 13376 - 80
Smith: 862 - 12287 - 67

So if Bruce goes through a similar decline as Tim Brown, he should end up with 1,000 catches and 15,000 yards.

Jack of Arcades 05-11-2007 04:37 PM

I meant Jimmy Smith.

VarlosZ 05-11-2007 04:52 PM

Even more off-topic, but look at Torry Holt. People don't talk about him like this, but he's eight years into a HOF career. Another two or three 1300yd/10td years and the numbers will be too good for him not to get in.

barryc83 05-11-2007 07:28 PM

I think that Torry Holt is gonna get in when his career is over. He is/was a truly great receiver.

TheNoodleMan 05-11-2007 08:09 PM

If you put in Bruce, you've got to consider a whole bunch of 1980-current WRs.

If you put Ike in, then who else do you put in? Rod Smith? KeyShawn Johnson? Andre Reed? Irving Fryar? Henry Ellard? Keenan McCardell? Jimmy Smith? Terrell Owens? Randy Moss? Andre Rison? Art Monk? Eric Moulds? Joey Galloway? Tory Holt? Stanley Morgan?
All of these guys are top 30 in career rec yardage.

Add in the other guys that have already made the HoF or are locks: Rice, Harrison, Lofton, Carter.

At some point you have to ask yourself where the line is going to be drawn. They can't all be HoFers.

BobboFitos 05-11-2007 09:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you put in Bruce, you've got to consider a whole bunch of 1980-current WRs.

If you put Ike in, then who else do you put in? Rod Smith? KeyShawn Johnson? Andre Reed? Irving Fryar? Henry Ellard? Keenan McCardell? Jimmy Smith? Terrell Owens? Randy Moss? Andre Rison? Art Monk? Eric Moulds? Joey Galloway? Tory Holt? Stanley Morgan?
All of these guys are top 30 in career rec yardage.

Add in the other guys that have already made the HoF or are locks: Rice, Harrison, Lofton, Carter.

At some point you have to ask yourself where the line is going to be drawn. They can't all be HoFers.

[/ QUOTE ]

you forgot Tim Brown, who is a HoF lock. I think alot of those guys you mentino will make it... Thing is alot of them are still playing and adding stats etc.