Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   EDF (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=81)
-   -   STAPLE DISHES: EGGS (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=396690)

MagicNinja 05-06-2007 11:39 AM

STAPLE DISHES: EGGS

kind of like iron chef except also the complete opposite:

here is a dish I would probably eat 3+ times a week (with various small alternatives). However, there's no way I make it as well as a professional chef (lol obv) and i'm interested to see how other people make it.

You can a) respond with advice to improve a dish!
or b) respond with your own dish / preparation!

Since these are simple dishes, focus on giving your own little 'tricks' that most people might not use:

OK, FIGHT!
http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l92/vagrant7/eggs.jpg
These are my eggs; I hadn't planned to photograph them when i made them, which is kind of the point.

I put the pan on the stove; i put a little extra virgin olive oil in the pan once it had got hot; I then heated this oil a little; once I thought it was hot, I added the eggs (often I add a clove of garlic and/or half an onion, which i sautee until translucent); I had planned to cook them sunny side up, but I am awful at that (or maybe just paranoid, i mean its not rocket science right?), and didn't want to eat a raw egg, so right when I thought they had cooked through fairly well (but where still slightly translucent at the top), I flipped them for a few seconds then took them off.

Then I put a very small knob of butter in the frying pan while it was still hot, and put about half of a small bag of baby spinach in there; I added water until it didn't steam when i put it in the pan, and then once it had steamed away and I thought the pan was hot enough again, I added more.

I toasted a piece of bread, slopped some barbeque sauce on the side, tore up some basil and covered it all in ground pepper. Pretty tasty.

5/10 eggs, imo. I challenge you to beat them!

Farfenugen 05-06-2007 12:41 PM

Re: STAPLE DISHES: EGGS

If you are making scrambled eggs mix a small amount of milk into the eggs when you scramble them. It makes the eggs fluffier and taste better.

SmokeyRidesAgain 05-06-2007 12:50 PM

Does anyone else think tobasco sauce was specifically created for eggs? They go so good together, they should like get together and scissor or something.

MagicNinja 05-06-2007 01:41 PM

another thing i like to do (but not an automatic thing, like for example adding ground pepper) to mix up my scrambled eggs, is throw some chopped up sundried tomato in there, and sometimes even a little dijon mustard. I didn't know there were people who didn't add milk to scrambled eggs fwiw.

daryn 05-06-2007 01:53 PM

i was under the impression that adding milk and pepper to scrambled eggs was SUPER standard.. no?

edfurlong 05-06-2007 03:33 PM

I don't add milk to scrambled eggs.

IggyWH 05-06-2007 03:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i was under the impression that adding milk and pepper to scrambled eggs was SUPER standard.. no?

[/ QUOTE ]

I was under the impression that adding milk to scrambled eggs was for people who couldn't cook. I don't mean that as a shot to you but I was always told if you know how to prepare and cook right, milk is not needed.

---------

I have no clue what they are actually called, but I like making eggs by first acting like I'm making eggs over easy. Whenever I flip them, I let the yolk harden just a tad and then I chop up the eggs. The remaining yolk mixes with the eggs but it's not a sloppy mess. The eggs end up dry and tasting a little like a warm hard boiled egg.

Leaky Eye 05-06-2007 03:48 PM

Whoever told you that was wrong. Its the other way around.

ragip 05-06-2007 04:04 PM

chop up some tomatoes and fry them for a while in olive oil, then add the eggs. This also works great with sliced eggplants, zucchini, or mushrooms. Add some oregano before you're done.

wet work 05-06-2007 04:15 PM

Looks good. I like to make home fries with shredded potatoes
or diced up potatoes to go with it. It rounds out the meal for me.

GTL 05-06-2007 05:13 PM

if i'm having bacon, i cook the bacon first. then drain off most of the fat. I leave a tiny bit of the bacon fat in the pan to cook the eggs with. It's not healthy, but it is delicious.

You cooked the eggs over-easy. Try and flip them without breaking the yoke and they will look a lot nicer. I always do fried eggs over easy as I don't like the eggs to be "gooey".

If I'm cooking scrambled eggs I use milk and I also like to add chopped onion, pepper, and sometimes tomato to the eggs. I like the vegies pretty raw, so I put them in the eggs instead of cooking them first. I also like to add cheese right before the eggs are done so it melts in nicely.

daryn 05-06-2007 06:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I was under the impression that adding milk to scrambled eggs was for people who couldn't cook. I don't mean that as a shot to you but I was always told if you know how to prepare and cook right, milk is not needed.

[/ QUOTE ]

i dunno if that's correct, i'm not really a chef or anything. could't you as easily say that using a lighter is for people who can't start a fire using two sticks? i mean, if adding milk leads to fluffier eggs, how could it be knocked?

stabn 05-06-2007 06:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]

You cooked the eggs over-easy. Try and flip them without breaking the yoke and they will look a lot nicer. I always do fried eggs over easy as I don't like the eggs to be "gooey".

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you mean over hard, or at a minimum over medium. Over easy is supposed to be nice and runny.

reedy 05-06-2007 06:59 PM

I am a chef and in regards to scrambled eggs milk tends to make them heavy.
Add a little cold water to the beaten eggs then get a pan real hot, throw in a knob of butter, add eggs and whisk until light and fluffy. The eggs should be served slighty wet imo.

Analyst 05-06-2007 10:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Alton Brown uses milk in his recipe. The milk may be needed or not, but his approach to cooking the eggs certainly works well.

2461Badugi 05-06-2007 10:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Adding milk is standard. Adding heavy cream is much, much better. I used to add pepper, but decided I didn't like it very much. Sometimes I'll add a tiny bit of sausage fat if I'm making breakfast sausages (almost everyone else finds this disgusting though) or paprika.

Farfenugen 05-06-2007 10:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought this too until I came to college and realized that most people don't know to add milk to the eggs.

bonds 05-06-2007 11:04 PM

I tend to add diced green pepper and onion (both available in convenient frozen form) and some cheese to my scrambled eggs.

turnipmonster 05-06-2007 11:19 PM

one of my favorite ways to make eggs is:
2 eggs
1/2 c milk
1 pkg saltines

crush the saltines up until they are like a powder, and whisk the milk, eggs and saltines in a bowl and let it stand for 10 minutes or so. cook in a saute pan, covered over low heat, stirring occasionally. these are awesome after a night of drinking!

I find that in general, eggs need to be cooked slowly over very low heat. anytime I am in a hurry and cook them over high heat they turn out dry and bad.

waarior 05-06-2007 11:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Adding milk is standard. Adding heavy cream is much, much better. I used to add pepper, but decided I didn't like it very much. Sometimes I'll add a tiny bit of sausage fat if I'm making breakfast sausages (almost everyone else finds this disgusting though) or paprika.

[/ QUOTE ]

Adding cream cheese works wonders.

The whipped variety makes it easier to add and distribute evenly but the regular stuff works fine too.

Everyone I've ever made scrambled eggs for loves them, and most now add cream cheese when they make it themselves.

Slow Play Ray 05-07-2007 08:04 AM

one tip i learned back in college was use milk for scrambled eggs, and cold water for omelettes. using water results in a fluffier consistency than milk, which makes for a good omelette.

and yes, adding cream cheese makes for pretty amazing eggs, but it's bordering on overkill.

oh, and also, no pics available, but another great tip i learned is the hash-brown omelette. get some oil or butter heated up and make a thin layer of shredded potato at the bottom of the pan. once they are starting to brown up, dump in your eggs and continue making the omelette as you normally would. the potatoes add a crunchy, delicious outer layer to the omelette.

XXXNoahXXX 05-07-2007 09:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
one of my favorite ways to make eggs is:
2 eggs
1/2 c milk
1 pkg saltines

crush the saltines up until they are like a powder, and whisk the milk, eggs and saltines in a bowl and let it stand for 10 minutes or so. cook in a saute pan, covered over low heat, stirring occasionally. these are awesome after a night of drinking!

I find that in general, eggs need to be cooked slowly over very low heat. anytime I am in a hurry and cook them over high heat they turn out dry and bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

by one pkg of saltines do you just mean 2 crackers, like one of those little ones you get with soup?

how does this taste?

definitely need to cook over low heat, on a preheated pan, i always find if you rush it they get rubbery.

NoahSD 05-07-2007 09:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you are making scrambled eggs mix a small amount of milk into the eggs when you scramble them. It makes the eggs fluffier and taste better.

[/ QUOTE ]

I add a lot of milk. It makes them really fluffy and keeps them from getting burnt (I suck at cooking).

My grandmother uses water instead of milk, and her scrambled eggs are by far the best in the world. Whenever I try this it doesn't work though.

The DaveR 05-07-2007 10:33 AM

turnip, Matzo brei.

All, Shrimp with eggs.

turnipmonster 05-07-2007 11:01 AM

about 20 saltines. daver, this is the southern version of matzoh brei!

Oki-Oki 05-07-2007 06:36 PM

just tried OP's reciepe it was pretty good. Luckily I had baby spinach in the fridge. It was the first time I tried spinach with eggs and it goes very well especially with a hint of BBQ sauce and some pepper. Thanks OP

Huh? 05-07-2007 06:57 PM

Someone do another Staple dishes thread but this time do CHICKEN

guids 05-07-2007 07:35 PM

Ive always added milk to scrambled eggs, but my grandma who makes the best ones says to use half and half or cream. i add salt and pepper aftwards.

My staple that I try and make a lot:

steamed asparagus, finely chopped, add to eggs that have been whipped ina bowl, i use about 2.5 or 3 stalks for every egg, throw in some minced garlic, salt and pepper, and then take italian breadcrumb, and slow add while mixing everything, until it "binds" everything and its a little thicker. fry up patties in a sautee pan coated with olive oil

john voight 05-07-2007 09:51 PM

adding too much milk will make them moist and wet yes? b/c I usually add 2-3oz of milk to 1.5-2 eggs. Usually if I go over to say half a cup, the egg becomes all wet.

Also, I too believe adding milk ii super standard. Although I have done both, I feel I get more nutrition if I add milk.

gamblore99 05-07-2007 10:57 PM

I use milk, and I have been told by many my eggs are [censored] awesome. I only recently discovered tabasco sauce for eggs, which takes them to a whole new level. Also gonna try the tomatoes and hashbrown suggestions. Both sound awesome.

And if you haven't tried lobster with your eggs you are missing out.

Slow Play Ray 05-08-2007 07:27 AM

for those Tabasco lovers, give Frank's Red Hot a shot...tastes much better than Tabasco on eggs IMHO.

Yeti 05-08-2007 09:21 AM

yeah guys please make more egg dishes and post pics, eggs are the best.

maybe some omelette ideas?

mjkidd 05-08-2007 12:37 PM

Adding sour cream to eggs is better than adding milk. This is the last of two great cooking tips that Ralph Cifaretto taught me. The other is draining cooked pasta, putting it back in the pot, and adding butter and a little sauce to the pasta and heat briefly.

By-Tor 05-08-2007 01:18 PM

I make possibly the best scrambled eggs ever created.

- Cut tortillas into squares and brown them slowly in butter until they are super crispy. (1 tortilla / 2-3 eggs)
- They are not cripsy enough yet...brown them longer.
- Poor in scrambled eggs (yes, add milk and pepper of course)
- Cook until 'just about done'
- Add salsa
- Finish cooking (to taste)
- Plate and top with a little shredded cheese

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

so sick bro 05-08-2007 04:24 PM

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j282/F_hels/eggs.jpg

nothing crazy here just standard breakfast sandwich. Whole grain toast with ketchup(very light layer of ketchup spread on the toast before i put the eggs on) and over easy eggs. I don't really know what I'm doing in the kitchen but usually can make some pretty tasty stuff. Unfortunately was out of turkey bacon - it's no substitute for the real thing but i enjoy having some meat with breakfast and from what I've seen turkey bacon is the healthiest

Aloysius 05-08-2007 04:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT - overcooked eggs (especially a scramble) are almost inedible to me.

Here's a good Slow-Cooked Scrambled Eggs recipe

I like doing scrambled egg with goat cheese and chives. Apparently adding a bottle cap of vermouth (it's a Greek thing I was told?) during whisking is tasty. I've done the cream cheese thing - it is good.

Oh and a good tip is to take the eggs off the burner slightly before finished - they will continue to cook for a bit.

-Al

turnipmonster 05-08-2007 04:59 PM

I posted about this a few months ago, but I just want to emphasize how much better fresh eggs are than eggs that have been sitting around. I now get eggs from the greenmarket and they are miles better than eggs from my local supermarket.

MagicNinja 05-08-2007 10:50 PM

LESS TALK OF MILK VS WATER MORE PICTURES OF EGGS PEOPLE.

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l9...ngredients.jpg
http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l9...gredients2.jpg
http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l9.../omelette3.jpg
http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l9...7/holyshit.jpg
http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l9.../omeletecu.jpg

Omelette attempt 1: surprisingly easy. Left satisfied. Sauteing fennel instead of onions was an expert idea (not mine). Had everything else in the fridge. Feta cheese instead of normal cheese, also a winning play. Adding a little butter to pan after removing sauteed fennel / tomato / olives gave me a hard-on.

8.5/10 eggs. PLEASE BEAT THEM.

ozyman 05-08-2007 11:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT - overcooked eggs (especially a scramble) are almost inedible to me.

Here's a good Slow-Cooked Scrambled Eggs recipe

I like doing scrambled egg with goat cheese and chives. Apparently adding a bottle cap of vermouth (it's a Greek thing I was told?) during whisking is tasty. I've done the cream cheese thing - it is good.

Oh and a good tip is to take the eggs off the burner slightly before finished - they will continue to cook for a bit.

-Al

[/ QUOTE ]

I gave the linked recipe a shot for dinner tonight, sorry no pics. It really was unlike any scrambled egg Ive had before, creamy flavor and texure. Total cooking time was over 30 minutes but really easy to make. I went a bit overboard on the herbs thought which I will correct next time.

dlk9s 05-09-2007 12:23 AM

Bacon, egg, and cheese on a bagel. Egg can be prepared however you like it.

Fried egg on a cheeseburger is wonderful, too. Those of you who have been to Charlottesville/University of Virginia know the drill.