Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Caucasian: the 'Other' white meat (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=393460)

ChipWrecked 05-02-2007 03:25 AM

Caucasian: the \'Other\' white meat

I took my daughter to a small medical clinic located in a Rite Aid drugstore today.

We left with a feedback questionnaire that I agreed to send in, as we had a positive experience and I wanted the LNP to get some props with the medical provider.

I did a quick scan of the (optional, of course) ethnicity section. Not finding my daughter's white bread, part-WASP identity listed, I took a closer look.

<ul type="square"> Latino/Hispanic
Other White
etc.
etc.[/list]
WTF? I've lived in California long enough to understand that I belong to a minority group. But 'other' white? Wow.

Being a born Cali girl, this will probably be standard for my girl. But her old school dad has been knocked for a PC loop.

doubLe a tom 05-02-2007 03:26 AM

Re: Caucasian: the \'Other\' white meat

racist ban maybe? i dont really get the point..

CrazyEyez 05-02-2007 09:35 AM

I'm your caucasian.

econophile 05-02-2007 09:53 AM

dude, white is the preferred nomenclature.

ChipWrecked 05-02-2007 10:07 AM

As goes California, the nation will follow.

Get ready, Iowa.

Bicycles_Biatch 05-02-2007 05:55 PM

I live in CA too... i'm looking for a way out... maybe New Zealand or Norway

FlyWf 05-02-2007 10:34 PM

This thread needs a dose of the banstick. That terminology has been around for a while and if you thought about it, Hispanic people are genetically from [censored] Spain.

"
I live in CA too... i'm looking for a way out... maybe New Zealand or Norway
"

Bad news bra, NZ has a decent black population.

MrWookie 05-02-2007 10:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This thread needs a dose of the banstick. That terminology has been around for a while and if you thought about it, Hispanic people are genetically from [censored] Spain.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not exactly. Isn't it a lot of mixture between the Spanish and the Aztecs, Mayans, and whoever else happened to be living in that region?

FlyWf 05-02-2007 10:59 PM

It also includes African/Spanish mixes like Dominicans, which is why it's more properly identified as a culture than as an race, hence the way those forms phrase it. Your traditional Mexican has the same amount of properly European blood as your garden variety Sicilian.

They aren't fellow Aryans, though, so ZOMG PC! It's an outrage that OP's purebreed daughter is getting lumped in with those [censored] mud people.

mmbt0ne 05-02-2007 11:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
They aren't fellow Aryans, though, so ZOMG PC! It's an outrage that OP's purebreed daughter is getting lumped in with those [censored] mud people.

[/ QUOTE ]

My God, it's like you suck more and more every day.

FlyWf 05-02-2007 11:34 PM

You're doing yeoman's work keeping mean old me from, err, identifying racists?

Patrick del Poker Grande 05-02-2007 11:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You're doing yeoman's work keeping mean old me from, err, identifying racists?

[/ QUOTE ]
It looks to me like 't0ne is just calling like he sees it.

TheMetetron 05-03-2007 12:04 AM

Latinos are white... is this news to you or something?

IdealFugacity 05-03-2007 12:09 AM

WTF am I missing that this guy is getting accused of racism?

He is pointing out that it's strange that it says "Other White" instead of "White", or am I some kind of idiot?

TheMetetron 05-03-2007 12:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]

He is pointing out that it's strange that it says "Other White" instead of "White", or am I some kind of idiot?

[/ QUOTE ]

It is possible you are an idiot. Latinos &amp; mixed-breed unknown nationality whites are both white. Under the white heading there is either Latino or other kinds of white people. It is asking which you are. It'd be redundant to ask:

White (choose one):

- Latino
- White

because then latinos should check both. Hence, latino and other white.

Klompy 05-03-2007 12:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is all I read into it too.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

HUH? Latino is a different option then white was the way I read it. Or are you just talking about people who are a mix of white and anything else?

TheMetetron 05-03-2007 12:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

HUH? Latino is a different option then white was the way I read it. Or are you just talking about people who are a mix of white and anything else?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know how the survey was worded, but the reason it says other white is because latinos are white. They would check both latino and white if those boxes both existed. This is why it says other white and is right below latino.

danlux 05-03-2007 12:19 AM

An application I was filling out the other day listed as a possible race Arab/White as the only White choice. WTF? Why can't they be 2 separate categories?

onthebutton 05-03-2007 12:20 AM

Wow, FlyWF does suck more and more all the time. Rock on, t0ne!

guids 05-03-2007 12:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know how the survey was worded, but the reason it says other white is because latinos are white. They would check both latino and white if those boxes both existed. This is why it says other white and is right below latino.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you are saying latino people are white? Im seriously confused.

Klompy 05-03-2007 12:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
but the reason it says other white is because latinos are white.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is new to me

Patrick del Poker Grande 05-03-2007 12:23 AM

So... with the US demographics getting more and more latino, is the US getting more and more white? Am I not going to be in the minority in 2020 after all?

dmisfh1 05-03-2007 12:27 AM

This thread has potential.

Personally, in all the surveys that I have completed (school, government, etc.) "White" and "Latino/Hispanic" were always two seperate options.

IdealFugacity 05-03-2007 12:27 AM

Is it racist to think of Latinos and Whites as separate categories? I mean, I don't really picture redhead or blonde latinos in my head that often.

Then again, I don't picture blonde irish people either, and they meet my definition of white

Blarg 05-03-2007 12:29 AM

Heh I've worked in offices where EVERY latina was a red-head.

Curse you, Lucy Ricardo!

TheMetetron 05-03-2007 12:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Personally, in all the surveys that I have completed (school, government, etc.) "White" and "Latino/Hispanic" were always two seperate options.

[/ QUOTE ]

If it makes you feel better I remember answering the 2000 census when the dude came. I said I was latino and he said that was white and checked the box for white (latino) or something like that. There was also a white (non-latino) box as well.

IdealFugacity 05-03-2007 12:34 AM

So West Side Story is really about a bunch of inner-city white people?

TheMetetron 05-03-2007 12:36 AM

Best I can come up with in a pinch. 2000 census below.:

[ QUOTE ]
# 75.1% of respondents said they were White or Caucasian and no other race;
# 21.36% (60 Million Americans) are of German descent; German-Americans
# 12.3% are of Black or African-American descent;
# Hispanics - who may belong to any race - accounted for 12.5% of the U.S. population, up from 9% in 1990;
# 3.6% of respondents are Asian;

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess it said Hispanic, not latino. Also, I should've clarified that Hispanics are white comment I made before. They are usually white. There are black Hispanics as well though, as well as from theoretically any race.

Edit: This is better:

[ QUOTE ]
* American Indian or Alaska Native. "A person having origins in any of the original peoples of North and South America (including Central America), and who maintains tribal affiliation or community attachment."

* Asian. "A person having origins in any of the original peoples of the Far East, Southeast Asia, or the Indian subcontinent including, for example, Cambodia, China, India, Japan, Korea, Malaysia, the Philippine Islands, Thailand, and Vietnam."

* Black or African American. "A person having origins in any of the black racial groups of Africa. Terms such as 'Haitian' or 'Negro' can be used in addition to 'Black' or 'African American.'"

* Native Hawaiian or Other Pacific Islander. "A person having origins in any of the original peoples of Hawaii, Guam, Samoa, or other Pacific Islands."

* White. "A person having origins in any of the original peoples of Europe, the Middle East, or North Africa.

[/ QUOTE ]

Those are the only races on the US Census. No Hispanic/Latino.

IdealFugacity 05-03-2007 12:40 AM

Is Jewish a race?

edit: guess not based on above post

dmisfh1 05-03-2007 12:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If it makes you feel better I remember answering the 2000 census when the dude came. I said I was latino and he said that was white and checked the box for white (latino) or something like that. There was also a white (non-latino) box as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm. I fail to see why you would think that it would make me feel better (or worse), but whatever.

As for the 2000 census, was this in the state of California or somewhere else?

TheMetetron 05-03-2007 12:41 AM

More fun:

The 22nd federal census, in 2000, had a "short form"[7] that asked two race/ancestry questions:

1. Is the person Spanish/Hispanic/Latino?

* No, not Spanish/Hispanic/Latino
* Yes, Mexican, Mexican American, Chicano
* Yes, Puerto Rican
* Yes, Cuban
* Yes, other Spanish/Hispanic/Latino (write in group)

2. What is the person's race?

* White
* Black or African American
* American Indian or Alaska Native (write in tribe)
* Asian Indian
* Chinese
* Filipino
* Japanese
* Korean
* Vietnamese
* Native Hawaiian
* Guamanian or Chamorro
* Samoan
* Other Pacific Islander (write in race)
* Other race (write in race)

This census acknowledged that "race categories include both racial and national-origin groups."

TheMetetron 05-03-2007 12:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm. I fail to see why you would think that it would make me feel better (or worse), but whatever.

As for the 2000 census, was this in the state of California or somewhere else?

[/ QUOTE ]

It would be the United States Census. It's the same everywhere. See other posts.

CrazyEyez 05-03-2007 12:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Heh I've worked in offices where EVERY latina was a red-head.

Curse you, Lucy Ricardo!

[/ QUOTE ]
lol

CrazyEyez 05-03-2007 12:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
* American Indian or Alaska Native. "A person having origins in any of the original peoples of North and South America (including Central America), and who maintains tribal affiliation or community attachment."

* Asian. "A person having origins in any of the original peoples of the Far East, Southeast Asia, or the Indian subcontinent including, for example, Cambodia, China, India, Japan, Korea, Malaysia, the Philippine Islands, Thailand, and Vietnam."

* Black or African American. "A person having origins in any of the black racial groups of Africa. Terms such as 'Haitian' or 'Negro' can be used in addition to 'Black' or 'African American.'"

* Native Hawaiian or Other Pacific Islander. "A person having origins in any of the original peoples of Hawaii, Guam, Samoa, or other Pacific Islands."

* White. "A person having origins in any of the original peoples of Europe, the Middle East, or North Africa.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

By your own evidence, latinos are american indian, not white.

TheMetetron 05-03-2007 12:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

By your own evidence, latinos are american indian, not white.

[/ QUOTE ]

They'd be both white and american indian if not for that line. As such they are white. Did you even read or just respond quickly? Also, there exist solely white latinos who aren't mesitzos (mixed-race with white/natives), for example 95% of Argentina is your traditional definition of white.

CrazyEyez 05-03-2007 12:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
They'd be both white and american indian if not for that line. As such they are white. Did you even read or just respond quickly?

[/ QUOTE ]
So the fact that they're from latin america tells you that their origins are Europe, the Middle East, or North Africa?

Maybe we should just have one box: Pangean

TheMetetron 05-03-2007 12:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
They'd be both white and american indian if not for that line. As such they are white. Did you even read or just respond quickly?

[/ QUOTE ]
So the fact that they're from latin america tells you that their origins are Europe, the Middle East, or North Africa?

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you trying to screw with me?

The fact they are from Latin America tells you nothing about their origins. It'd be like saying you are from America, that must mean you from Europe right?

Hispanic doesn't refer to a race. It refers to people who speak spanish or live in a house that speaks spanish, people with spanish heritage by birth location or last name, or people with self-identified spanish origin or descent.

For example, there are many Argentines who are full-blooded Italian but are Hispanic because they speak spanish. Hispanics can be black, white, mestizo, asian, native american, whatever. Since there isn't a mestizo option, that leaves Hispanics with selecting white, black, or asian depending on where their descent came from. For most of them, that is white. Hence, hispanic whites and other whites.

Edit: If you don't get it at this point, I'll just assume you are trying to troll me. No one can be this dumb.

joes28 05-03-2007 01:06 AM

The box should read "What color is your skin? White, Tan, Black, Pitch Black, or Yellow"

Maybe this would be more clear? We could just get rid of races all together and just classify people based on color alone. This would give some people the ability to switch teams.

CrazyEyez 05-03-2007 01:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you trying to screw with me?

The fact they are from Latin America tells you nothing about their origins.

[/ QUOTE ]
That's exactly the point I was making. You are contradicting yourself.

Remember the 8 times that you said latinos are white? Now read these two things that you posted:

- * White. "A person having origins in any of the original peoples of Europe, the Middle East, or North Africa.

- The fact they are from Latin America tells you nothing about their origins.

I'm not even saying you're wrong. I'm saying you're wrong based on the evidence you provided.

MuresanForMVP 05-03-2007 01:43 AM

Wait so latinos=white? Does this mean I can find some friendly MS-13 members right down the street and slap them daps, cause we're brothers and $hit right? Just kidding Meteortron, dont flame me [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]