Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   St.Louis Cardinal Josh Hancock killed... (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=391142)

CrazyPsycho 04-29-2007 11:29 AM

St.Louis Cardinal Josh Hancock killed...

In a car accident this morning. Condolences..

MLB

Hold'em 07 04-29-2007 11:32 AM

Re: St.Louis Cardinal Josh Hancock killed...

Is it me, or is this series somehow cursed?

TheNoodleMan 04-29-2007 12:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is it me, or is this series somehow cursed?

[/ QUOTE ]

Definitely a weird coincidence that they're playing the Cubs.

R.I.P.

craigthedeac 04-29-2007 12:28 PM

R.I.P.

SirArthur 04-29-2007 01:02 PM

The game has been rightfully postponed.

I vaguely remember him, the last name that is. I forgot his first name.
ESPN was going to air the game for Sunday night baseball. I wonder what they will air in it's place? Usually they have a back up game (for rain outs/regional blackouts etc.) so that will probably be on instead.

Five-Star 04-29-2007 01:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
R.I.P.

[/ QUOTE ]

kyro 04-29-2007 01:11 PM

Apparently he pitched for the Sox. I've never heard of him before today. I hate news like this, though. My thoughts go out to his family and the Cardinals organization.

Poofler 04-29-2007 01:16 PM

I drive on that highway every day, it'll be creepy passing that site again. I'm trying to remember, were there any more player deaths besides Kyle/Lidle/Hancock in the last five years?

SirArthur 04-29-2007 01:31 PM

I had totally forgotten about Kile's death and how he died. Heart attack, 90% blockage of his arteries, he was otherwise in perfect health.
It was five years ago Kile died.

I can't think of any others, fortunately.

Jose Uribe died in a car wreck this past year, of course he hadn't played since the early mid-90's.

mason55 04-29-2007 02:11 PM

"Police said the 29-year-old Hancock was alone in his 2007 Ford Explorer when he struck the rear of a tow truck at 12:35 a.m. The truck was in the left lane assisting another vehicle that was involved in a prior accident, officer Pete Mutter said."

"Three days before his death, the Cardinals got a scare that some teammates said reminded them of Kile's death -- Hancock overslept and showed up late for a day game in St. Louis. Hancock told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch he thought the starting time was later and didn't get up until the "20th call" from anxious teammates."

Drugs involved?

RunDownHouse 04-29-2007 02:21 PM

Man, hadn't heard anything about this from ESPN or ABC (NBA playoffs), got the news from Deadspin. Sad day, and I feel for his family.

Suigin406 04-29-2007 02:23 PM

Condolences to his family, terrible news...

Kevmath 04-29-2007 02:46 PM

Steve Bechler (Orioles pitcher) died during spring training in 2003 after using ephedra.

prohornblower 04-29-2007 03:34 PM

Damn, RIP dude. That totally sucks.

It's eerie looking at their roster and seeing him listed as "Status: Active".

BobOjedaFan 04-29-2007 05:02 PM

For the guy asking, there was a a young player for the Padres i think named Mike Darr who was killed recently. Died in a car accident and his death went kinda ignored. I remember wondering what happening till him until i found out like a season later.

I hate when stuff like this happens.

mason55 04-29-2007 05:16 PM

Cory Lidle as well.

zer0 04-30-2007 11:48 PM

----------
Hancock instead dined with a group of friends at Mike Shannon's Steaks and Seafood after Saturday's game and told the manager that he was headed to the Westin Hotel three blocks away.

"I personally called the police chief and told him everything I know about last night," said Pat Shannon, manager at the restaurant operated by her father, Cardinals broadcaster Mike Shannon.

Hancock, Pat Shannon said, declined an offer for a cab. Shannon declined to say if Hancock consumed alcohol at the restaurant, instead referring the question to police.
-------------

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/...71?OpenDocument

ruh roh, this could get ugly

RunDownHouse 05-01-2007 12:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
ruh roh, this could get ugly

[/ QUOTE ]
Why? I mean, I think its a bit weird he was driving home at just past midnight on a game night... but that's all. A bit strange, not unusual or worrisome.

What about this article would make you say "rut roh," like we do about Lidge's shattered psyche?

MicroBob 05-01-2007 04:08 AM

Is it not obvious?
Hancock declined an offer for a cab.
If he drove there himself and needed to decline an offer for a cab the implication that he had been drinking is clear. And evidently drinking enough where someone thought a cab for him might be appropriate.

If he had too much to drink and should not have been driving and the restaurant did nothing to stop him then some could lay some blame on them for this.

The fact that it's Mike Shannon's steakhouse where he got served potentially 'too much' but was allowed to drive himself anyway could be attention-grabbing too.

One of the Cards players told LaRussa that he couldn't do it tonight and he asked to be scratched.
Chances that he was one of the players who was at Shannon's steakhouse with Hancock and is riding a major guilt-trip for letting him take his own car out of there?

It's one thing to deal with a teammate's death like they did with Kile.
But dealing with the guilt of having had the opportunity to prevent that death (no matter how unrealistic) is going to be really tough on some of those guys.

ZBTHorton 05-01-2007 04:16 AM

I heard on ESPN they said that Hancock had told one of the guys at the bar that night that he was late for that game earlier this week because he was out all night drinking.

Sounds like some kind of depression/drinking combo.

RunDownHouse 05-01-2007 01:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Chances that he was one of the players who was at Shannon's steakhouse with Hancock and is riding a major guilt-trip for letting him take his own car out of there?

[/ QUOTE ]
TLR isn't exactly a choir boy either, given his spring training incident.

MicroBob 05-01-2007 01:55 PM

ZBT - ESPN was repeating what the St. Louis Post Dispatch said. But they are also qualifying it by explaining it may not have happened that way.

St. Louis POst Dispatch gets interview from someone who claims to have overheard Hancock talking with ESPN analyst Dave Campbell at the restaurant.
They claim to have heard Hancock say that he slept in that day because he had been drinking all night.

But Campbell tells ESPN that this NEVER came up in the conversation (thus implying that whoever claims to have overheard that is lying).
Campbell also reports that Hancock did not appear to have had an excessive amount or anything and that they talked for maybe 30 minutes.

Perhaps Campbell is just covering for a kid he never met before but there is a contrary opinion on that part of the story.

Regarding the general idea though: None of it would surprise me. People drink. Ball-players drink. Some of them drink a lot. Some of them drive.

tuq 05-01-2007 02:23 PM

There are red flags all over this story. One is that he told the restaurant manager that he was only driving to a hotel three blocks away. Why would he go to a hotel if he lives there? Obvious lie to get her off his back so he could leave. Plus all the stuff about the two truck driver honking, the lights on the truck being on.

I guess it's also very possible he fell asleep at the wheel, maybe with a BAC under the legal limit, but the whole thing about a cab being suggested for him is a huge area of concern.

AngusThermopyle 05-01-2007 04:06 PM

Apparently the 'showed up late' to the game three days earlier was due to another accident.

Fox Sports Article

Says the cops say no alcohol involved in that one.

MicroBob 05-01-2007 05:09 PM

tuq - he could concieveably be going to a hotel to meet friends at the bar or a restaurant.

I'm not familiar with the Westin in St. Louis. But the Westin in Detroit is freaking gigantic and has several bars and restaurants inside.

He could have been lying about only going 3 blocks away of course.
But it's not unrealistic at all for there to be some legitimate reason for him to go to a hotel (besides the other possibility that he just finds it easier to live there during the regular season).

tuq 05-01-2007 05:24 PM

MicroBob,

I guess one thing I didn't see in the article is the time disparity between when he left the restaurant and when the accident happened. 20 minutes? Three hours? Good point about the hotel bars, he could have stopped there and had plenty more drinks before heading home.

The time gap is a pretty key piece of data, if it's large enough it should remove the restaurant from any liability. However, it may not be that great because there were no sightings of him mentioned anywhere else after he left there.

RunDownHouse 05-01-2007 06:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
However, it may not be that great because there were no sightings of him mentioned anywhere else after he left there.

[/ QUOTE ]
If I'd walked past him on the street, I don't know if I would have recognized him. If he was wearing a nametag or a red cards hat, maybe.

tuq 05-01-2007 06:32 PM

RDH,

C'mon now. I meant like friends and/or acquaintances who could vouch for his presence somewhere else after the restaurant.

If I knew what you look like and I saw you at a party, and the next thing I know you were dead, I'm sure word would get back to TPTB soon enough that you were there.

Karak567 05-01-2007 06:34 PM

from firejoemorgan.com:

This Is Unverified

But if it's true, wow, what a ****-up. Reader Rees writes:

In the Hancock montage just shown on ESPN, narrated by Karl Ravech, the very first film of the montage is actually Brad Thompson not Hancock.

RunDownHouse 05-01-2007 07:04 PM

Oh. Right.

Only thing I can come up with is that alkies like to drink alone, and particularly if he was going to be hitting it hard right before a gameday. He wouldn't exactly call up Dave Duncan to go drink with him.

But you're right, that's all I've got.

CrazyPsycho 05-04-2007 11:59 AM

NBC

.157 BAC...

And talking on the phone.

[img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

AngusThermopyle 05-04-2007 12:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ST. LOUIS (AP) -- St. Louis Cardinals pitcher Josh Hancock was drunk at the time of his fatal accident, and marijuana was found in the sport utility vehicle he was driving.

Police Chief Joe Mokwa also said at a news conference Friday that the 29-year-old Hancock was speaking on a cell phone at about the time of the crash early Sunday on Interstate 64 in St. Louis.

"Mr. Hancock was legally intoxicated at the time of the accident," Mokwa said.

St. Louis medical examiner Michael Graham said Hancock's blood-alcohol level was 0.157, nearly twice Missouri's legal limit of 0.08.

Mokwa said 8.55 grams of marijuana and a glass pipe used to smoke marijuana were found in the rented Ford Explorer. Toxicology tests to determine if drugs were in his system had not been completed.

An accident reconstruction team determined Hancock was traveling 68 mph in a 55 mph zone when his SUV struck the back of a flatbed tow truck stopped in a driving lane. Mokwa said there was no evidence Hancock tried to stop. He did swerve, but too late to avoid the collision.

Graham said the pitcher died "within seconds" of head injuries. Hancock was not wearing a seat belt, but Graham said the belt would not have prevented his death.

Mokwa said cell phone records showed Hancock was speaking with a female acquaintance at about the time of the accident. Mokwa said the conversation ended abruptly, presumably when the accident occurred.

[/ QUOTE ]

At least he only killed himself.

JordanIB 05-04-2007 12:00 PM

Deleted. 2 folks beat me by a few seconds.

Clarkmeister 05-04-2007 12:01 PM

shocking

RacersEdge 05-04-2007 12:15 PM

Here's a pic of his SUV - looks like the impact was right on the driver's side:

Crash

RunDownHouse 05-04-2007 01:07 PM

13 over is nothing... until you combine it with a bunch of booze and distractions like the cell. Sad.

mmbt0ne 05-04-2007 01:28 PM

Josh Hancock's career ERA: 4.20

That's dedication to the cause man.

wh1t3bread 05-04-2007 01:42 PM

So this guy was: legally drunk + speeding(in a construction zone) + possibly high + not wearing a seatbelt + talking on the cell phone.

Everything you shouldn't do while driving.

Just sad.

tuq 05-04-2007 01:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Josh Hancock's career ERA: 4.20

That's dedication to the cause man.

[/ QUOTE ]
LOL, brutal.

OK, so I don't buy/carry weed around. That's not to say I haven't inhaled or won't in the future, I just don't buy the stuff. Isn't that a LOT of weed though? I mean like a weekend-long bachelor party with a bunch of old fraternity brothers quantity?

Mike Gallo 05-04-2007 02:02 PM

8.55 grams is a little more than a half an ounce.
That should keep a hardcore stoner in supply for two weeks.