Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   The Well: ikestoys (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=390600)

ikestoys 04-28-2007 03:42 PM

The Well: ikestoys

[ QUOTE ]
A stranger is being shown around a village that he has just become part of. He is shown a well and his guide says "On any day except tuesday, you can shout any question down that well and you'll be told the answer" . The man seems pretty impressed, and so he shouts down: Why not on tuesday? and the voice from in the well shouts back: Because on tuesday, its your day in the well .

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm studying for the MCAT all day/night today, so distract me plz.

Unknown Soldier 04-28-2007 03:45 PM

Re: The Well: ikestoys

ok standard starter:

poker story + graphs?

jk3a 04-28-2007 03:49 PM

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...=4#Post10148796

thanks.

MortenTA 04-28-2007 03:51 PM

if my memory serves me right you had a great run a month or two ago at higher stakes and stayed there.

Could you share your thoughts on shot taking?

ikestoys 04-28-2007 03:52 PM

poker story -

i started out playing play money poker on party. I loved playing omaha hi/lo... lol it was fun b/c i never had to fold. I eventually deposited 50 bucks on party, ran it up to 120 playing 10+1 SNGs and lost it.

Feb 2006 I deposited 50 onto a no name site that probably doesn't even exist anymore called pokerchamps and pwned the 2.5+.25 SNGs. I eventually moved up to 5+.5 SNGs. I then won an MTT for about 600 and boom, I had a bank roll.

I switched sites to paradise where I played 10+1 SNGs. I did well and moved up to 20+2. I ran really hot. By May that year, I had made about 2k and thought I was a huge badass. My buddy Killerbees24 got me into cash games. I played .25/.5 for about a month and moved up to .5/1. I played .5/1 foreeevvverr. I started moving up this January and have flown up to 5/10 and 10/25.

Unknown Soldier 04-28-2007 03:55 PM

why were you stuck at 100nl?

ikestoys 04-28-2007 03:56 PM

Don't have the graph for my career, but this year should do: http://img68.imageshack.us/img68/6126/2006graphcz0.jpg

willw9 04-28-2007 03:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I played .5/1 foreeevvverr. I started moving up this January and have flown up to 5/10 and 10/25

[/ QUOTE ]

Try to describe in one sentence exactly how this happens. Seems rediculously incredible to me.

Edit: Maybe 'surreal' says it best.

Unknown Soldier 04-28-2007 03:58 PM

wow, good work, how many hands is that?

Bacon Mmmm 04-28-2007 04:00 PM

Looking at your graph I wondered: After being stuck at 100 for so long, did that first $10,000 downswing $*@# you up in the head, or did you handle it pretty well?

NL Newbie 04-28-2007 04:01 PM

what was NL$100 winrate, what made you suddenmly fly up the stakes? Hot run or just think something clicked - if so what?

ikestoys 04-28-2007 04:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...=4#Post10148796

thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

1.) I bet the flop and go from there, a lot of people can't fold AK ever preflop. if one calls, i check/maybe call. if both call i shutdown. As played I think you have to call b/c you've induced a bluff
2.)I prob pitch w/o a very good read. You got to give a guy credit in a multiway pot like that.
3.)
a. I fold pre and I play much looser than you
b. I call flop and lead turn b/c it is a much weaker line than a turn c/r
c. You've induced a bluff on the river, call again.

ikestoys 04-28-2007 04:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if my memory serves me right you had a great run a month or two ago at higher stakes and stayed there.

[/ QUOTE ]

So the funny thing is that whenever I moved up I played looser and more aggressive. I played a nitty 19/15 at 100NL. I've played 30/25 so far this month at 5/10. My stats just kept getting looser as I moved up. I think I got looser because I managed to not play with money, but I played with chips.

Also, the villains I was playing against didn't know what the [censored] i was doing while i was running them over. Eventually they adjusted, and that led to a temporary downswing.

As for actual shot taking... just man up when you are playing well (not BBV style chasing losses), play one or two tables and put a tenth of your bankroll on the line. If it goes well, keep playing a couple of tables at most until you are comfortable. Don't play with money, play with BBs.

J. Stew 04-28-2007 04:08 PM

why are you raising 45o utg+1

Abramovic 04-28-2007 04:09 PM

How old are you? Where do you live? What do you do?

Just some general background really.

Thanks.

Sweir 04-28-2007 04:09 PM

1.Any aha moments?

2.How often do you donkbet the flop when HU, and in what situations (board textures, villains etc.)?

3.What factors do you consider when deciding how much to cbet?

4. How often to you check behind on the flop after being the pfr?

5. How often do you 2nd barrell and when?

Thankyou.

ikestoys 04-28-2007 04:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
why were you stuck at 100nl?

[/ QUOTE ]

I was playing too loose out of position. I was playing ABC. I was calling on the river b/c I GOTS TWO PERS LDO! I was entirely predictable...

[ QUOTE ]
what was NL$100 winrate, what made you suddenmly fly up the stakes? Hot run or just think something clicked - if so what?

[/ QUOTE ]
My winrate at 100 was about 3ptBB/100. At 1/2 it was 5. At 2/4 it was 12.5 over 7k hands (siiiiiiick). At 5/10 its 6.74 over 43k hands. At 10/25 I've gotten coolered hard twice, so I'm actually down about 7k.

Hot run or clicked? Obv it was both. The biggest, most general thing I was doing differently is that I was trying to exploit individual players weaknesses instead of just doing what I always did in a certain situation. I would raise nits with ATC, cbet 100% if the villain was a fish who folded if they miss flop. Its really hard to verbalize. I just come up with a plan to beat the table (or one player if he is really bad). If that means I gotta play 19/15 so be it. If that means I gotta play 40/35 (wheeeeeeeeee!), I'll do that too.

ikestoys 04-28-2007 04:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
wow, good work, how many hands is that?

[/ QUOTE ]

97k, the meat of it is 43k at 5/10.

ikestoys 04-28-2007 04:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Looking at your graph I wondered: After being stuck at 100 for so long, did that first $10,000 downswing $*@# you up in the head, or did you handle it pretty well?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been through some real tough times IRL and my bankroll was never below 20k. It did bother me, but I could handle it. That 10k downswing happened in one night btw, I kept playing and finished down 2k. So not all so bad.

ikestoys 04-28-2007 04:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I played .5/1 foreeevvverr. I started moving up this January and have flown up to 5/10 and 10/25

[/ QUOTE ]

Try to describe in one sentence exactly how this happens. Seems rediculously incredible to me.

Edit: Maybe 'surreal' says it best.

[/ QUOTE ]

Honestly, the responsibility of dealing with this much money made me then uncomfortable. It still does, but in a good way.

ikestoys 04-28-2007 04:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
why are you raising 45o utg+1

[/ QUOTE ]

well, it was a situational play. there was one villain who had a vpip above 20, so I was running very, very loose. I was running 33/29, but in the last 35 hands I was prob playing about 45/40.

ikestoys 04-28-2007 04:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How old are you? Where do you live? What do you do?

Just some general background really.

Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just turned 21. I go to the University of Michigan and was raised just east of Ann Arbor. I am a biomedical engineering major hoping to get into med school to become a surgeon. I don't really hope to be a pro player for life, I just want to use it as a bridge to live more comfortably as a student.

For extracurricular stuff, I just got done shooting one of the worst rounds of golf I've ever played. I play soccer, in fact I worked out with the varsity squad this winter. I've got an inside track to walk on this fall. I've won a national championship on the collegiate club level.

Meh, I was always really athletic, I lettered in three sports (track,football,soccer) in high school, was first team all-state. I love playing pretty much any sport.

I have a gf and we've been together entirely too long, but I haven't been able to get rid of her yet [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]. She goes to Princeton but I can visit a lot more b/c of poker. Other than that, I dunno, I'm pretty normal suburban kid.

Oh, and I streaked across the field across from my apt yesterday, that was pretty cool

demon102 04-28-2007 04:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So the funny thing is that whenever I moved up I played looser and more aggressive. I played a nitty 19/15 at 100NL. I've played 30/25 so far this month at 5/10. My stats just kept getting looser as I moved up. I think I got looser because I managed to not play with money, but I played with chips.

Also, the villains I was playing against didn't know what the [censored] i was doing while i was running them over. Eventually they adjusted, and that led to a temporary downswing.

As for actual shot taking... just man up when you are playing well (not BBV style chasing losses), play one or two tables and put a tenth of your bankroll on the line. If it goes well, keep playing a couple of tables at most until you are comfortable. Don't play with money, play with BBs.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is interesting, you said that u didnt think of it as money but as chips or BBs. I have a problem of thinking of it as money and have wished I could think of it as chips like I do in tourneys so it doesnt effect me emotionally as money does. How are u able to change the way u think of the money you were playing with?

ikestoys 04-28-2007 04:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1.Any aha moments?

2.How often do you donkbet the flop when HU, and in what situations (board textures, villains etc.)?

3.What factors do you consider when deciding how much to cbet?

4. How often to you check behind on the flop after being the pfr?

5. How often do you 2nd barrell and when?

Thankyou.

[/ QUOTE ]

1.) Nothing conscious really, I just started changing how I play.
2.) Almost never HU. If i hit a set or something multiway I might lead out. Here's the thing tho, as loose as I can play, you won't find me calling raises OOP very often. So I don't have to do donk betting
3.) If I'm cbetting, I bet 3/4 the pot almost everytime so I don't give away the strength of my hand
4.) Not very often but I do. I play a lot tighter if flop is multiway. If villain is c/r happy and I am semistrong I'll check. If I have the deck crushed I'll check behind sometimes. I bet draws all the time.
5.) I double barrel in three situations. First, when a player c/c when I know he plays his big hands with a c/r. Second, when a scare card like a K or A comes on the turn. Third, when I know the villain is a floater. I use my HUD a lot for determining if the situation is good to double barrel.

Not.Fade.Away 04-28-2007 04:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The biggest, most general thing I was doing differently is that I was trying to exploit individual players weaknesses instead of just doing what I always did in a certain situation. I would raise nits with ATC, cbet 100% if the villain was a fish who folded if they miss flop. Its really hard to verbalize. I just come up with a plan to beat the table (or one player if he is really bad). If that means I gotta play 19/15 so be it. If that means I gotta play 40/35 (wheeeeeeeeee!), I'll do that too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you over time developed the ability to adapt to table composition accurately with little info, or do you have lots of hands with most of the players in your game (either due to a smaller player pool or datamining)?

ikestoys 04-28-2007 04:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The biggest, most general thing I was doing differently is that I was trying to exploit individual players weaknesses instead of just doing what I always did in a certain situation. I would raise nits with ATC, cbet 100% if the villain was a fish who folded if they miss flop. Its really hard to verbalize. I just come up with a plan to beat the table (or one player if he is really bad). If that means I gotta play 19/15 so be it. If that means I gotta play 40/35 (wheeeeeeeeee!), I'll do that too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you over time developed the ability to adapt to table composition accurately with little info, or do you have lots of hands with most of the players in your game (either due to a smaller player pool or datamining)?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well once you get up to 5/10 you'll prob know about half of the players there very well. After about 50 hands of playing against someone I normally get a general idea of what they are all about. After about 500 i've picked up on some of your tendencies. The most players I've made the most off of aren't transient donks, they are the guys i've played 5k hands against.

Unknown Soldier 04-28-2007 04:37 PM

any plans on making a video?

demon102 04-28-2007 04:38 PM

You said that u didnt think of it as money but as chips or BBs. I have a problem of thinking of it as money and wish I could think of it as chips like I do in tourneys so it doesnt effect me emotionally as money does. How are u able to change the way u think of the money you were playing with? I have a hard time doing that.

.KeviN. 04-28-2007 04:38 PM

How many tables per stake and how do you think it effects your reads?

ikestoys 04-28-2007 04:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
any plans on making a video?

[/ QUOTE ]

not really, I do have the software and I guess I could drop down to 1/2 for an hour. I haven't really seen any interest in it. If you guys wanted it, I guess I could make one.

Unknown Soldier 04-28-2007 04:40 PM

yeah do it [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

demon102 04-28-2007 04:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
yeah do it [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

ikestoys 04-28-2007 04:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You said that u didnt think of it as money but as chips or BBs. I have a problem of thinking of it as money and wish I could think of it as chips like I do in tourneys so it doesnt effect me emotionally as money does. How are u able to change the way u think of the money you were playing with? I have a hard time doing that.

[/ QUOTE ]

dealing with adversity, being uncomfortable and stress are one of those things you can only learn by yourself. theres no real magic trick to trick your mind into thinking yourself into a situation where you aren't stressed. you just gotta deal.

i know that sounds harsh and simplistic, but i don't think someone else can really change your mindset. At least, a guy who has only taken intro to psych can't

Not.Fade.Away 04-28-2007 04:44 PM

Do your friends and family know about your play? If so, how do they feel about it? If not, any reason your not telling them?

ikestoys 04-28-2007 04:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How many tables per stake and how do you think it effects your reads?

[/ QUOTE ]
i play no more than 4. I've found I'm missing little things if I'm playing more than that.

ikestoys 04-28-2007 04:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do your friends and family know about your play? If so, how do they feel about it? If not, any reason your not telling them?

[/ QUOTE ]

My family knows, but only my parents and one uncle know exactly how much. In fact I'm going to meet an accountant monday with my mom. At first they seemed pretty hesistant, but I've managed to show a long term win rate and its hard to argue with me when I've made more than my parents combined.

A few of my friends know, but I try to keep it low key exactly how much I make b/c none of my other friends have that much cash. I do drunkenly brag tho... I'm trying to cut that down.

Ph1shPh00d 04-28-2007 04:48 PM

how many tables of 1/2 did you play at a time?
Has this number gone down since you moved up to 5/10, etc? or are you just a beast at multitabling?
Any tips on maintaining focus, and making reads while multitabling?

*EDIT* ignore this didnt see that last post thx

ikestoys 04-28-2007 04:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
how many tables of 1/2 did you play at a time?
Has this number gone down since you moved up to 5/10, etc? or are you just a beast at multitabling?
Any tips on maintaining focus, and making reads while multitabling?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd play up to 6 tables of 1/2. I only had a laptop for a real long time... I play 4 tables of 5/10.

The best thing you can do is to take good notes and have your HUD contain usefull information like Fold to cbet, raises cbet, cbetting %, agg, vpip, pfr, and c/r

Combine your HUD with the line villain has taken and make a decision. Things like timing tells are really overrated.

ronitonline 04-28-2007 05:02 PM

I agree, if you watch videos, a lot of the time people just sitting there thinking of the best line, I know they are talking outloud for the vid so its even longer, btu it does happen, especially if you're playing vs a muiltitabler, he will take long / short depending on whats going on at the othertables.

orange 04-28-2007 05:03 PM

ikes, congrats on your success.

worse downswing? what site do you play on?

toughest opponents?