Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   2007 AL Central (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=388097)

nsdjoe 04-25-2007 01:54 PM

2007 AL Central

Currently the tightest race in baseball, and likely to stay that way for the entire season. Discuss.

My season-end prediction:

1. CHW (blatant homerism)
2. DET
3. MIN
4. CLE
5. KC

kyleb 04-25-2007 01:59 PM

Re: 2007 AL Central

Cleveland at #4 sure that sounds reasonable

pause

NOT

kyleb 04-25-2007 01:59 PM

btw please bet me

SL__72 04-25-2007 02:10 PM

Flip the first 4 and you have my prediction.

MikeyPatriot 04-25-2007 02:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
btw please bet me

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you post this in every thread? Jesus christ.

<====Sports Betting is over there.

OP, the Sox are going to need either A) a lot of good fortune or B) a couple of sick deals at the trade deadline to take this division. Or Cleveland to underperform their Pythag again and Johan to go down. This is coming from a Sox fan.

It'll be more like

1) Cle
2) Min
3) Sox
4) Det
5) KC

And I think you can switch 1/2 and 3/4 without any arguments from anyone.

kyleb 04-25-2007 02:38 PM

I just want people to back up their arguments here with bets, that's all. If they feel so strongly about their picks, let us betbetbetbetbet!

Jack of Arcades 04-25-2007 02:42 PM

I thought the kyleb bet thing was amusing at first, then annoying. However, the fact that he says this in every thread is absolutely hysterical.

MikeyPatriot 04-25-2007 02:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I just want people to back up their arguments here with bets, that's all. If they feel so strongly about their picks, let us betbetbetbetbet!

[/ QUOTE ]

Can I bet you $50 that you can't ask people to bet you on baseball in this forum until the last pitch of the World Series?

MikeyPatriot 04-25-2007 02:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I thought the kyleb bet thing was amusing at first, then annoying. However, the fact that he says this in every thread is absolutely hysterical.

[/ QUOTE ]

I see the humor. Annoying to see it individually, but taken as a whole it's pretty amusing.

kyleb 04-25-2007 02:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Can I bet you $50 that you can't ask people to bet you on baseball in this forum until the last pitch of the World Series?

[/ QUOTE ]

absolutely not

i have made too much money by betting against chicago white sox fans here and i would like that to continue

edit: basically shut up or bet on it is my philosophy

bugstud 04-25-2007 03:03 PM

if kyle doesn't want any action I'll take it.

Might as well go completely broke if the white sox win the division instead of mostly broke.

MikeyPatriot 04-25-2007 03:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
absolutely not

i have made too much money by betting against chicago white sox fans here and i would like that to continue

[/ QUOTE ]

If you provided some sort of analysis or opinion in addition to it, it wouldn't be so bad. But when you reply with one liners "OMG please bet me", it's extremely annoying and you come off as a pompous ass.

nsdjoe 04-25-2007 03:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a pretty retarded philosophy. You can't have an opinion on something unless you're willing to bet money on it?

kyleb 04-25-2007 03:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
absolutely not

[/ QUOTE ]

If you provided some sort of analysis or opinion in addition to it, it wouldn't be so bad. But when you reply with one liners "OMG please bet me", it's extremely annoying and you come off as a pompous ass.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would I provide analysis? I want the person to take an unfavorable bet on their end.

MikeyPatriot 04-25-2007 03:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why would I provide analysis? I want the person to take an unfavorable bet on their end.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why does 2p2 have strat forums? We want people making bad plays at the table.

Why should you post analysis? Because you're usually one of the best posters in SE when you do. Because you should put your ePeen away sometimes and just engage in discussion with people on a message board instead of attempting to swindle people out of money at every opportunity possible. Because reading Baseball Prospectus doesn't make you (or me) smarter than everyone else. Because not everyone is here to place a bet on their opinions.

THAY3R 04-25-2007 03:54 PM

The White Sox suck.

Cle
Det
Min
Sox
KC

xJames2112 04-25-2007 04:17 PM

The only guarantee is KC finishing last.

Cle
Min
Det
Chi
KC

iron81 04-25-2007 04:20 PM

Kyleb, I'll take $50 at even odds that the White Sox are above 4th in the ALC at the All-Star break if you can do transfers on Stars or Epassporte. I'm also curious about your 2+2 White Sox fan betting history.

Thremp 04-25-2007 04:21 PM

Thayer,

Min
Cle
Det
Chi
KC

Its more like

Min>Cle>>Det>>>>>>>& gt;>>>>>>>>Sox>>> >>>>>>KC

nsdjoe 04-25-2007 04:26 PM

He bet me last year that the Sox would win fewer than 90.5 games. Of course they won 90.

I don't understand all the Sox haters on this board... They have great hitters and so far this year decent pitching. The bullpen if nothing else is vastly improved.

kyleb 04-25-2007 04:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Kyleb, I'll take $50 at even odds that the White Sox are above 4th in the ALC at the All-Star break if you can do transfers on Stars or Epassporte. I'm also curious about your 2+2 White Sox fan betting history.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not a fan of that bet - I was going to propose a bet that CWS will finish above CLE.

kyleb 04-25-2007 04:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He bet me last year that the Sox would win fewer than 90.5 games. Of course they won 90.

I don't understand all the Sox haters on this board... They have great hitters and so far this year decent pitching. The bullpen if nothing else is vastly improved.

[/ QUOTE ]

And they needed to sweep the Twins on the road at the end of the season to win 91.

The White Sox suck. Seriously.

EDIT: I also bet JayLear, who took a few months to pay me, but eventually did.

nsdjoe 04-25-2007 04:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]

And they needed to sweep the Twins on the road at the end of the season to win 91.

[/ QUOTE ]

How many wins did Cleveland have last year? [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

MikeyPatriot 04-25-2007 04:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Did Minnie Minoso kill your grandfather or something?

The Sox team is a longshot to win the Central, but there's no way they're only going to win 72 games like BP projects them. This team will probably hover at the .500 mark all year barring injuries/trades/etc. They're a pretty mediocre team.

TheRover 04-25-2007 05:38 PM

I fully support kyleb's attempts at making money. I'm jealous, actually.

nsdjoe 04-25-2007 05:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I fully support kyleb's attempts at making money. I'm jealous, actually.

[/ QUOTE ]

of $100?

TheRover 04-25-2007 05:49 PM

no. cause i don't have money at stars and can't do it myself.

kyleb 04-25-2007 07:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How many wins did Cleveland have last year? [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

So bet on Chicago to beat Cleveland since it happened last year. Gotta happen again, right?

kyleb 04-25-2007 07:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The Sox team is a longshot to win the Central, but there's no way they're only going to win 72 games like BP projects them. This team will probably hover at the .500 mark all year barring injuries/trades/etc. They're a pretty mediocre team.

[/ QUOTE ]

A mediocre team in the AL Central = sucks. We aren't talking about NL teams who suck.

lippy 04-25-2007 07:47 PM

I'm a huge homer and don't think the Twins will win the Central.

1) Cle
2) Min
3) Det
4) Sox
5) KC

nsdjoe 04-25-2007 08:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

A mediocre team in the AL Central = sucks. We aren't talking about NL teams who suck.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've decided not to bet on things upon which I cannot affect the outcome anymore.

FWIW, most "experts" predicted the White Sox to finish 4th in 2005, too.

kyleb 04-25-2007 08:31 PM

Blah blah blah.

Thremp 04-25-2007 08:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for acknowledging I am right, and that you are smarter than to let me just straight up rob you.

[/ QUOTE ]

bonds 04-25-2007 09:43 PM

Lotta love for the Tigers in this thread.

1. Det
2. Min
3. Cle
4. Chi
5. KC

bottomset 04-25-2007 09:56 PM

if the Twins can't beat the [censored] Royals, its going to be a long season [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

MrFeelNothin 04-25-2007 09:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm a huge homer and think the Twins will win the Central.

1) Min
2) Cle

3) Det
4) Sox
5) KC

[/ QUOTE ]

kyleb 04-25-2007 11:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm a huge homer and think the Twins will win the Central.

1) Min
2) Cle

3) Det
4) Sox
5) KC

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a lot more reasonable.

kyleb 04-25-2007 11:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why does 2p2 have strat forums? We want people making bad plays at the table.

Why should you post analysis? Because you're usually one of the best posters in SE when you do. Because you should put your ePeen away sometimes and just engage in discussion with people on a message board instead of attempting to swindle people out of money at every opportunity possible. Because reading Baseball Prospectus doesn't make you (or me) smarter than everyone else. Because not everyone is here to place a bet on their opinions.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have (and will continue to) post analysis and conventional sabermetric wisdom on this board. However, if people are going to say things like the Chicago White Sox are a good team, then I would love to bet on it with them. They think it's a good bet, I think it's a good bet, the only difference is is that I'm right and they're wrong.

This is a gambling forum, is it not? Are we not here for +EV opportunities?

At any rate, if you have done analysis and come to the conclusion that CWS is better than CLE, then I'll gladly take your action. However, if you are just definitively saying that CWS will win the AL Central without backing up your words, then you're a coward IMO.

There's a significant difference between rooting for a team and authoritatively saying that "Team X is going to win the AL Central" / "Team X is better than Team Y". If you post the former, I might jab at you and post analysis on why your love for the team may be incorrect, but everyone is allowed to have a rooting share on any team they want. However, if you insist that your team (usually the White Sox) is going to dominate when all the research shows otherwise, well, please bet on it or shut up.

damaniac 04-25-2007 11:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Lotta love for the Tigers in this thread.

1. Det
2. Min
3. Cle
4. Chi
5. KC

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd join in, but Leyland's in-game decisions are probably worth a couple losses by itself. Leyland vs. Guillen to see who can hurt their team the most is interesting.

Also, why is Nefi Perez collecting a pay check? And allowed on the field?

CheckRaise 04-25-2007 11:50 PM

Did anyone see Zumaya melt down tonight? 6-0 lead in the 9th, he gets 2 outs then hits a guy and walks 4 in a row. Its been a long time since I've seen a pitcher loose it like that.