Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   EDF (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=81)
-   -   Does where you live matter to you? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=385684)

Your Mom 04-22-2007 09:31 PM

Does where you live matter to you?

I'm 24, married, no kids. I live in Omaha, NE where I've lived all my life except for 4 years of college in Missouri. My wife's entire family lives here as does all of my family except for my brother. I can honestly say that I don't really care where I live. As long as the town has cable, internet, and my wife, I think I'd be happy as a clam. So does where you live matter to you?

idrinkcoors 04-22-2007 09:49 PM

Re: Does where you live matter to you?

Absolutely it matters to me. I'm in the same boat as you, and while most people would consider my little town to be hickish, I wouldn't consider living anywhere else.

I do though, respect those who take advantage of the financial opportunties found outside your surroundings. Occassionally I will look back at lost opportunites and wonder "what if." In the end though, the family, friends and familiar surroundings of home can't be replaced.

econophile 04-22-2007 10:18 PM

YM,

Where else have you lived? I am also curious how much you have travelled.

edit: I see you said you lived in MO, but was it small town (e.g. Columbia)?

lgas 04-22-2007 10:21 PM

I have entertained fantasies of moving to someplace like Costa Rica or Thailand (esp. after reading Degen's thread) for a while now. Basically someplace that is nice, but where the cost of living is super low. Some days it seems ludicrous (mostly because all of my friends, family, my business, etc. are all here) but other days it seems ludicrous not to do it.

My primary income is from computer consulting work and I think I could get that spun up from abroad pretty easily. Sure, I would have to pass up some jobs, but I could definitely make plenty of money working entirely remotely. If I was in Thailand or someplace in a radically different timezone, then I would need to be on a weird schedule relative to my local timezone, but that's pretty easily managed.

I did some quick back of the envelope calculations and if I had made this move 3 years ago, I probably would've saved about $150k or so to do whatever I wanted with. I probably would've invested most of it, and made even more money, which would be worth even more if I was living someplace like this.

In regards to your original question, I guess the answer is that it definitely does matter to me where I live. This is evidenced both by the fact that I have spent a lot of time thinking about moving and by the fact that despite the fact that it could improve the quality of my life significantly, I haven't done it yet.

This post is just making me realize even more that I should devote some more serious thought to this subject.

Jason Strasser (strassa2) 04-22-2007 11:27 PM

friends are important. so is a job. I guess these are both not factors? I have trouble believing you only need those things you listed.

Duke 04-23-2007 12:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
friends are important. so is a job. I guess these are both not factors? I have trouble believing you only need those things you listed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not everyone has a job that they have to go to a specific location for, and a lot of old people only have their spouse as a friend anyhow. Friends come, go, and can remain in contact via vast distances these days. Most of my friends live over 300 miles away, and that's fine. I still talk with them, and we still get to hang out once in a while.

NT! 04-23-2007 02:19 AM

i live in NYC. i moved here with my lady friend so she could complete a teaching program and i hate it (as i knew i would). yes, where i live is definitely important to me.

i couldn't be with someone who didn't have some similar ideas to me about good places to live. both of us like more rural places, and are interested in living somewhere tropical / foreign for a few years if the opportunity presents itself. we also both have jobs/careers that are fairly mobile (i am getting an MSW and she is a teacher).

i would say, having lived for a while fairly far from any of my friends and in a place where it's hard to make a lot of new ones, that living in a place i like and near some friends or in a community where i could fit in / make friends is among my top priorities. however i am lucky insofar as my work doesn't really force me to live anywhere in particular.

aejones 04-23-2007 02:56 AM

Of course it matters. Wheve ever my friends are- they're sick important too me.

Evan 04-23-2007 03:50 AM

There's only two places I've been that I could really say I'd be happy about living. One is NYC, where I live now. The other is San Francisco, where I've spent a pretty significant amount of time. These extend to surrounding areas too. For example, I wouldn't mind living in Hoboken or Berkeley, but I'd still prefer to be in the actual cities.

Living in really small towns would drive me nuts in about 20 minutes. I can see this changing later in life if I have a wife/kids, but I'm just not at that point in my life now. There's too much I value about living in real cities.

Bond18 04-23-2007 08:19 AM

Try living in basically the middle of nowhere in urban Shanghai China for a few months without being able to speak the language and i can promise you that where you you'll realize where you live DOES matter.

Same with weather conditions, i lived in Wisconsin most of my life and if i have to go through another 5 month cold as [censored] hell winter i think i'll kill myself.

You might not realize how much it matters, because you havn't lived anywhere outside your comfort zone.

ahnuld 04-23-2007 09:28 AM

I could never live in a small town, would drive me nuts. I really love montreal in the spring and summer as it is am amazing city, but moving somewhere for the winter would be nice. So the weather is very important to me too.

kutuz_off 04-23-2007 02:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i live in NYC. i moved here with my lady friend so she could complete a teaching program and i hate it (as i knew i would). yes, where i live is definitely important to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

This may be subject for another thread (or already covered elsewhere), but....WHY? I grew up in a tiny Russian village, and I absolutely love living in NYC now. So, answering OP, yes, it matters where I live. Mainly it's access to a lot of things (jobs, sports, cuisine, culture, russian community) without having to deal with long commute.

Arnfinn Madsen 04-23-2007 02:48 PM

It matters a lot. I have been some places where I would end up killing myself after being there a month. I think that you who say it doesn't matter haven't been to such places.

KJS 04-23-2007 03:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm 24, married, no kids. I live in Omaha, NE where I've lived all my life except for 4 years of college in Missouri. My wife's entire family lives here as does all of my family except for my brother. I can honestly say that I don't really care where I live. As long as the town has cable, internet, and my wife, I think I'd be happy as a clam. So does where you live matter to you?

[/ QUOTE ]

A few contradictions in your post. Seems you find it important that your family is around you have a history there, but then say you could live anywhere with just the Mrs.. I don't doubt that you are content where you are. Do doubt a bit you could live anywhere with the Mrs, cable, internet. Big big adjustment for someone rooted in one place.

Where I live does matter to me.

I am 37 and married, no kids never having them. Moved from Cleveland to Seattle at age 20 and never went home again. Never will. Love the family to death but I can't do cold winters. Don't see the point of it. Also, Cleveland rules for short periods but long-term I don't think it would excite me. So home is out.

Since getting hitched in 2002, the Mrs and I have lived in Seattle, Thailand, Seattle, London, Seattle. Basically, we have created and taken several opportunities to move around when we want. It is important for both of us that we are attracted to what a place has to offer. That includes everything from housing, job opportunities, social life, etc.. I can say that for me, there are certain things I will always demand if I am going to stay somewhere long-term: good food and good arts (music, theater, visual arts, film). I fully expect that to change as I age.

I am pretty certain that we will eventually live in some small town in Mexico/Panama/Thailand/Indonesia and just eat, drink cocktails and enjoy each others company. Until then we will stay in Seattle while I have a good job and probably go on another adventure if it goes away, re-settling most likely in Portland or, if another good job arises, somewhere else on the West Coast. Someplace we can still have access to the art, music, food, etc.. I listed above.

I will say re: friends that my life is certainly a high percentage better when I am around them. But the Mrs. and I are best friends and we always meet people when we travel. I have left my friends and come back numerous times, we will always be close. But they are more rooted in Seattle than me and I don't expect to stay here just to be around them. I might need a change some day.

KJS

z28dreams 04-23-2007 03:29 PM

Short answer: It matters a good bit, but not as much as the kind of people you keep around you.

My story is this: Grew up in chicago, went to U of I. After college worked for a small power company that I disliked.

On a whim moved to Colorado and did some contracting work for a year.

Eventually relocated to Northern Virginia (DC Metro) for a job, and am still here.

There is definitely a different feel to every area. Here in DC, people seem to be big status and money whores, much more so than in other states. I make decent money, but it still bothers me.

Over time, being away from your family wears on you as well. I don't see my brother and sisters nearly as often as I'd like - I'm usually flying home for Christmas, and then maybe 1 other time a year for a wedding or other random event.

Colorado was the most relaxed atmosphere - and even though I was practically unemployed out there, I loved it because my friends were so great.

I eventually plan on making my way back to chicago, but jobs and career are pretty much going to dictate when that happens.

-Z

KJS 04-23-2007 03:37 PM

I would also add that, IMO, someone who lives in one place their whole life is not maximizing their experience of life.

Life is too short to do the same things over and over. Extra points if you are able to live overseas where you have to adapt to a new language and culture. You will learn a ton about yourself and be much more empathetic to others as well once you understand that people approach life much differently depending on the culture they are brought up in.

KJS

Aloysius 04-23-2007 03:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Short answer: It matters a good bit, but not as much as the kind of people you keep around you.

[/ QUOTE ]

This isn't just friends and family for me.

I'm Asian and prolly cause I'm a minority... but I just very much prefer multi-cultural / ethnic / cosmopolitan metros and cities. Not only for the food, though that's a big part of it [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] So this rules out alot of the US for me.

-Al

adsman 04-23-2007 03:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would also add that, IMO, someone who lives in one place their whole life is not maximizing their experience of life.

Life is too short to do the same things over and over. Extra points if you are able to live overseas where you have to adapt to a new language and culture. You will learn a ton about yourself and be much more empathetic to others as well once you understand that people approach life much differently depending on the culture they are brought up in.

KJS

[/ QUOTE ]

Very nice, totally agree.

Just want to add this as a few people have brought it up. About being far away from friends. I never worried about moving so far away from my friends. I knew that the real friends would stick with me, and they have. I also found that in the hustle and bustle of life, when I was living in the same city as my friends I saw them only rarely anyway. Now when we see each other it really means something.

Your Mom 04-23-2007 03:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not everyone has a job that they have to go to a specific location for, and a lot of old people only have their spouse as a friend anyhow. Friends come, go, and can remain in contact via vast distances these days. Most of my friends live over 300 miles away, and that's fine. I still talk with them, and we still get to hang out once in a while.

[/ QUOTE ]

exactly. My good friends don't live in Omaha any longer. I have work friends that I hang out with now and my wife and I do hang out with our families a decent amount. My idea of a good time may be a lot different than most of you. I like chilling at home on the patio with a nice beverage with my wife. A Saturday during the fall consists of watching 12 hours of college football. I would miss Husker home games if I moved out of the state, but I'd still be able to fly in at least once a year for a big game.

Your Mom 04-23-2007 04:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
YM,

[/ QUOTE ]

I lived in Springfield, MO. It was nice - I miss it at times - but I'm fine without it. I felt the same way about Omaha when I down there. I do like Kansas City a lot and I would be interested in living in Chicago for a while (esp. to go to Wrigley all summer).

Your Mom 04-23-2007 04:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Try living in basically the middle of nowhere in urban Shanghai China for a few months without being able to speak the language and i can promise you that where you you'll realize where you live DOES matter.

Same with weather conditions, i lived in Wisconsin most of my life and if i have to go through another 5 month cold as [censored] hell winter i think i'll kill myself.

You might not realize how much it matters, because you havn't lived anywhere outside your comfort zone.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed with your first paragraph. I should have mentioned that it needs to be in the US.

z28dreams 04-23-2007 04:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
YM,

[/ QUOTE ]

I lived in Springfield, MO. It was nice - I miss it at times - but I'm fine without it. I felt the same way about Omaha when I down there. I do like Kansas City a lot and I would be interested in living in Chicago for a while (esp. to go to Wrigley all summer).

[/ QUOTE ]

At least you'd be rooting against the cubs. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] (I'm assuming you're a cards fan)

NicksDad1970 04-23-2007 04:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
YM,

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

At least you'd be rooting against the cubs. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] (I'm assuming you're a cards fan)

[/ QUOTE ]

I forget where I just saw this poll. But out of like 5 million votes the Cards were voted as the evil empire.

sincerely

Cubs fan [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

KJS 04-23-2007 07:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

KJS

[/ QUOTE ]

Just want to add this as a few people have brought it up. About being far away from friends. I never worried about moving so far away from my friends. I knew that the real friends would stick with me, and they have. I also found that in the hustle and bustle of life, when I was living in the same city as my friends I saw them only rarely anyway. Now when we see each other it really means something.

[/ QUOTE ]

Also implied in the responses re: friends is that you and your friends want the same things. Me and mine don't. They are content to live in one place for decades and decades, I need more adventure. I am not going to give up that part of myself just to be near them. Like you said, they are not going to stop being my buds just because I leave town.

KJS

Your Mom 04-23-2007 08:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
YM,

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Negative, sir. Hate the cards. Go Cubbies.

Your Mom 04-23-2007 08:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

KJS

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Also implied in the responses re: friends is that you and your friends want the same things. Me and mine don't. They are content to live in one place for decades and decades, I need more adventure. I am not going to give up that part of myself just to be near them. Like you said, they are not going to stop being my buds just because I leave town.

KJS

[/ QUOTE ]

Correct. I don't have a lot of friends, but the ones I do have are in for the long haul. One, I've known since first grade, the other 2 since 6th grade.

riverdance 04-23-2007 08:09 PM

that must be pretty common in omaha. when i got my married, all my groosmen were friends from kindergarten.

MicroBob 04-23-2007 09:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

As others have pointed out, I don't believe you.

Go live in the middle of nowhere on some ranch in Utah or in the appalachians in West Virginia semi-conveniently located kind of near a grocery store and see if you are happy there.

Or go live in the middle of NYC or Phoenix or Miami or Los Angeles.
Some of these places might be kind of great to you and will strike you as 'better than Omaha' and others might be way sucky because you don't really know the people or get along very well, etc.

How much travelling outside of Omaha have you done to know that this is how you really feel?

Have you ever been to NYC? Did you love it or hate it? You're honestly saying it would make no difference to you than living in Omaha where all your friends and family are? I just don't buy it.

People are different in various parts of the country imo (much less outside the U.S.).
Take it from a midwesterner who is living in the south and just doesn't dig it so much.

Personal: I'm in Memphis and can't wait to get out. We'll be moving around the country a little bit starting soon.

i've been to Omaha. It's nothing that special. But the fans at the UN-Omaha hockey games are really awesome.

Your Mom 04-23-2007 09:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

As others have pointed out, I don't believe you.

Go live in the middle of nowhere on some ranch in Utah or in the appalachians in West Virginia semi-conveniently located kind of near a grocery store and see if you are happy there.

Or go live in the middle of NYC or Phoenix or Miami or Los Angeles.
Some of these places might be kind of great to you and will strike you as 'better than Omaha' and others might be way sucky because you don't really know the people or get along very well, etc.

How much travelling outside of Omaha have you done to know that this is how you really feel?

Have you ever been to NYC? Did you love it or hate it? You're honestly saying it would make no difference to you than living in Omaha where all your friends and family are? I just don't buy it.

People are different in various parts of the country imo (much less outside the U.S.).
Take it from a midwesterner who is living in the south and just doesn't dig it so much.

Personal: I'm in Memphis and can't wait to get out. We'll be moving around the country a little bit starting soon.

i've been to Omaha. It's nothing that special. But the fans at the UN-Omaha hockey games are really awesome.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not saying it wouldn't make a difference. I'm just saying I can function and be relatively happy with sports on tv, internet poker, and my wife. Maybe I'm just a simple person.

I've travelled to Florida, Atlanta, Tunica, Memphis, Chicago, New York, Philly, DC, Baltimore, Boston, Maine, S. Dakota, Wyoming, Seattle, Victoria, San Fran, LA, Orange County, Phoenix, and lots of places in NE, IA, MO, and KS of course. I make friends pretty easily so finding people to hang out with usually isn't a problem.

I agree that I wouldn't want to live in another country or in a real rural place in the middle of nowhere. As long as the town has movie theaters, some decent restaurants/sports bars, I'll do just fine.

And no, Omaha isn't that great but I think it's as good as a lot of other places. Nebraska fans are the best fans in the world, bar none. Where else would you fill 20k+ plus for college baseball, sell out the Women's Volleyball Final Four a year in advance, sell out a Men's Basketbal Regional a year in advance, and regularly get 50k for the football team's Spring game?

inside?? 04-23-2007 09:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

And no, Omaha isn't that great but I think it's as good as a lot of other places. Nebraska fans are the best fans in the world, bar none. Where else would you fill 20k+ plus for college baseball, sell out the Women's Volleyball Final Four a year in advance, sell out a Men's Basketbal Regional a year in advance, and regularly get 50k for the football team's Spring game?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think they are the best fans it is just that the University of Nebraska is the only game in town. If you had MLB, NFL or NBA it would be a different story. This is why you and your fans annoy the rest of us is because all you ever talk about is U of N. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

MicroBob 04-23-2007 09:46 PM

I don't think this is completely correct. "Best fans in the world" is certainly pushing it. But their fans really are pretty good.

There are lots of places that don't have much else in the area but still don't have that kind of sports enthusiasm.

He's just referring to Lincoln mostly.
But in Omaha the college baseball world-series is a pretty big deal and they have a pretty good following for their Triple-A baseball team too.

And it might not sound like much, but their fan-support for their junior hockey teams in Lincoln AND Omaha are both pretty outrageous as well as their string of sell-outs for Univ Neb-Omaha hockey games.

Creighton basketball does pretty decently too I think.

they already had plenty of hockey in the area.
Then Univ Neb-Omaha got a D1 hockey team a few years ago and they quickly got 2k or 3k season-ticket holders and blue-line club members (like 'booster-club' I guess) and then they sold-out every game to the tune of almost 8k.

The rest of college-hockey took notice and many people were just amazed.
When I went there with Miami (Ohio) hockey I was incredulous at the amazing fan-support they had there and how freaking loud their fans were.

I had been to Lincoln a couple yrs earlier with womens basketball. Their fans were pretty good there also.
Down the street there was a long line of fans outside a building. They were camping-out to get tickets for the Lincoln Stars junior hockey team.

You can say all you want that they don't have much else there.
But what they do have there they seem to support like crazy and do so WAY more than they do in MANY other markets.

Some places just have good sports-fans.

In Memphis for example, the fans 100% suck.
They have one major-league team, in the NBA, and they can't get ANYONE to come to their games whether they are good or not or even when Lebron or Kobe or someone comes to town.
Pathetic.

Some people around here say that it's because the Memphis Tigers get all the attention. But that's not really that true either because even they don't really draw so hot.

The AAA baseball team plays in a gorgeous ballpark and most of their crowds are terrible.

Some cities and areas really do have better sports-fans than others.
And Omaha/Lincoln really is one of those areas in my limited experience.
and Memphis is definitely not.

Your Mom 04-23-2007 10:04 PM

It's the same people that are going to the events in Lincoln and Omaha. They're 45 miles apart. Creighton draws around 14,000 average for hoops.

El Diablo 04-23-2007 10:05 PM

YM,

I could be happy lots of places. However, that doesn't mean it doesn't matter to me.

I'd much rather live in a place where I'm close to the water or mountains than someplace that was just flat (desert or plains) or just buildings.

I'd much rather have access to all sorts of great types of food than a limited selection.

I'd much rather have access to many options for nightlife than a town that didn't have much going on at night.

I'd much rather live in a place with people of many different cultures than one where most people were pretty similar.

I could go on, but basically the more entertainment options I have, the more access to beautiful outdoors stuff, the more interesting, smart, and diverse people I'm likely to interact with, the better I'm likely to like that place.

It seems odd to me that someone wouldn't share at least some of these sentiments regarding the place they live.

MicroBob 04-23-2007 10:23 PM

El D - Exactly. Saying you could be happy pretty much any place is not the same thing as saying that you simply don't care.

I had to work in Florida for several summers in a row. I didn't like Florida before and I don't really care for Florida now. But I made the most of it and ended up liking it a little bit better by learning my way around.

I still think Florida sucks though and could be happier in many other places... but I was also still a happy-enough camper while I was there.

glen 04-23-2007 10:37 PM

El D,

I agree with you for the most part, so the question for you is. . .what minimum criteria would make you willingly move to Omaha, NE?

tsearcher 04-24-2007 01:00 AM

Where I live is really important to me. To the point where I have broken off relationships because I was unwilling to move. I could never relate to friends of mine that never put much thought in where they live.

I hate driving. So I need to live in a place with good to great public transportation. In a similar vein, I enjoy doing my errands by foot. So I need to live walking distance to a pleasant and walkable commercial center.

Variety of people and food are also real important. It's always real strange when I visit a friend out of town and everyone looks the same and food selections are so limited.

I also enjoy the seasons, including the bitter cold and extreme heat. The same temperature all the time is boring and depressing.

I grew up in a small town and I may get nostalgic about that life style and low cost of living. But I hated the total lack of privacy. It seemed that everybody knew everything about me. Give me the anonymity of the big city.

So basically, I could live in various Midwestern and North East cities and that's the only places I could live.

05-19-2007 12:19 AM

I basicaly grew up on a sailing yacht, I must live somewhere with the sea close, otherwise I fell misserable. I have tried to live close to fresh water, lake etc ... doesn`t works.

Howard Treesong 05-19-2007 05:27 PM

I've lived in NYC, Vermont, LA, Maryland (suburban Wash DC), LA again, Vermont again, LA again, Massachusetts, North Carolina, Atlanta, LA again and now Minneapolis.

Generally, I think the answer for me is no. I'd move pretty much anywhere for the right job, so long as we could find good schools for the little Ts.

raptor517 05-19-2007 05:51 PM

i grew up in virginia beach, my dad was a navy guy and we lived near all of his friends. i remember spending summers on the beach boogie boarding and building sand castles, or on some boat of some sort on the water. i moved to tx when i was 6 or 7 and lived there until about 19, then moved to vegas for a year. ended up coming back to texas and buying a house here, near all of my friends and family.

where i live is fairly important to me, but i think i could find comfort in a lot of places, as long as i have a lot of room to move around. i would probably blow my head off if i lived in NY in a cramped apartment with noisy neighbors. i like having a pool in my backyard, a garage, and a car, as well as lots of extra rooms for no reason. i also couldnt live far away from friends and family. im very sociable and if i have no one to talk to i get a lil crazy.

hanster 05-21-2007 12:06 AM

I've lived in Taiwan, Shanghai, Dallas, Irvine, and now LA. If you notice a trend it's the nice warm weather [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]. I can never live anywhere that snows for 4 months out of the year. I have also adapt to being away from my family for a long period of time (I see my dad 4 times a year and my mom once a year) so even though it's preferred but i still can do with being distant from family. So I'd probably agree with Treesong in that I'd move to anywhere for a a job offer.