Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Video Games (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=77)
-   -   Would you play online games for real $$$? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=385623)

cianosheehan 04-22-2007 07:57 PM

Would you play online games for real $$$?

Just wondering if you'd ever deposit cash on to a site to play video games against other players for real money?

zacd 04-22-2007 08:20 PM

Re: Would you play online games for real $$$?

depends on a variety of factors, some important ones:

1) how much of the game is skill based?
2) is the game secure (ie no hacks)
3) how much $$ is being wagered
4) how is the connection

#2 and #4 are the biggest issues. i imagine if fiber optic connections make lag a thing of the past, competitive gaming is going to get huge.

crovax4444 04-22-2007 09:12 PM

I like the points zacd brings up, and I actually think everyone of these points is very important. But to answer OP, yes. I could definitely play some low level DM UT2k4 or high level ONS.

Crovax

toss 04-22-2007 09:18 PM

I predict online gaming for $$$ is going to get big within the next five to ten years. There's already a site set up to wager on some of Steam's games.

g-bebe 04-22-2007 10:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I predict online gaming for $$$ is going to get big within the next five to ten years. There's already a site set up to wager on some of Steam's games.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOLOLCS:S4ROLLS

ilya 04-22-2007 10:05 PM

yes, but I can't see it getting as big as online poker...not enough short-/medium-term luck in most games.

BillNye 04-22-2007 11:18 PM

Lag/Disconnects/etc

04-22-2007 11:27 PM

I'd be much more skeptical but if say a companies like microsoft, sony, nintendo came and supported it and anti-hack could be proven. I would play and get beaten. But there is already a market for it on localised closed servers.

jah7_fsu1 04-22-2007 11:40 PM

I would have to be convinced I wasn't being cheated. Much more so than I do in online poker for some reason.

Dire 04-23-2007 02:12 AM

No. I don't think 'real' competitive gaming will ever really hit the mainstream. It's too skill based, like chess. It's also too susceptable to cheating, like chess. Not good for spectators since the result is largely decided beforehand and not good for competitors unless they're at the absolute top, again like chess.

testaaja 04-23-2007 07:38 AM

No because I suck. If I owned I'd hustle monies.

ADK 04-23-2007 04:58 PM

Pro evo 6 is the only game i'd probably play for money (if anyones up for on 360 let me know [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]:)

ilya 04-23-2007 09:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No. I don't think 'real' competitive gaming will ever really hit the mainstream. It's too skill based, like chess. It's also too susceptable to cheating, like chess. Not good for spectators since the result is largely decided beforehand and not good for competitors unless they're at the absolute top, again like chess.

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps like chess, it could work if players were assigned ratings and competitions were divided into categories by rating, with higher categories awarding larger prizes to discourage intentional rating-dumping. Not that chess is huge or anything but at least the system is workable.

Dunno how to deal with the cheating though.

kabouter 04-24-2007 05:09 AM

it is never going to get as big as poker, because of the lack of luck involved in these games. I mean why pay money if you will never win anyways?
Ofcourse I play pro evo against friends with a little wager added too it, just to make it more exciting.

Shadowrun 04-24-2007 05:37 AM

i dunno in some games the skill game is way too much to overcome like SSMB for example. At least in poker i have a chance of winning.

colonel81 04-24-2007 11:12 AM

ive done it cant remember what site it was but i had a free ten dollars and played everything from checkers to euchre for money. it was fun but there was no where near the availibility of players to find consistent games in the limit u wanted and also the specefic game u wanted

suited_jock 04-24-2007 02:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Pro evo 6 is the only game i'd probably play for money (if anyones up for on 360 let me know [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]:)

[/ QUOTE ]

If its the euro version id be game for some real money games with a stars xfer of mobnies!!!

add me : suitedjock on 360

wade17 05-02-2007 01:37 PM

yes

tgo007 05-02-2007 08:06 PM

I would only if i knew I had an edge over most of the other players.

Currently that would probably only be: Warcraft 3, Starcraft, Marvel vs Capcom 2, Maybe Super Smash Brothers Melee.

tke999 05-03-2007 05:23 PM

Of course I would. Why not? It costs me $20 or less to make a deposit and try it. I try lots of things for $20 and most of them don't come with an opportunity to have as much fun as online games for money. Do I ever feel cheated? Maybe sometimes, but no more so than when I buy other things online or offline.

Valsuvious 05-03-2007 06:41 PM

In another sense, this already occurs in some games, but not in the way that most of you are thinking. There are actual "sweat" shops set up in some places like say Korea, who employ people to sit there in a location and earn items and money and stuff in game, in order for the employer to sell these items/money on places like eBay to people who need such item.

I know that this occurs in games like Everquest/Worlds of Warcraft. I have not personally sold anything in this manner, but one of my old guildmates used to actually finance a living by doing this. At the time he was the richest person on the server (for instance, I was considered rich cause I had a million platinum, he at the time had about 80 million platinum and he held the money to my guild bank, which was another 100 million or so).

So, he used to sell a lot of this money and other such items that he found while killing things to people who needed it for real cash and then giving it to them in game. There were a lot of people that I knew who used to do this, as well as the people that I mentioned first. Sometimes you could tell who these people are when you'd go into a place that a specific item dropped, and these people would be sitting there camping such an item for days on end.

It was a very huge business for a while and although I'm not involved in these types of games anymore, I would imagine that it's still pretty huge.