Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   NBA Playoffs Thread (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=382513)

Clarkmeister 04-19-2007 12:34 AM

NBA Playoffs Thread

Predictions

(I think I have all the matchups right)

Detroit in 5 over Orlando
Cleveland in 4 over Washington
Toronto in 6 over New Jersey
Miami in 7 over Bulls

Rd 2
Detroit in 7 over Miami
Toronto in 6 over Cleveland

ECF
Detroit in 5 over Toronto

West

Dallas in 6 over GSW
Phx in 6 over LAL
SAS in 5 over Denver
Houston in 7 over Utah

Rd 2

Dallas in 6 over Houston
SAS in 5 over Suns

WCF

Dallas in 7 over SAS

Finals

Dallas in 5 over Detroit

PokerGolfFiend 04-19-2007 12:37 AM

Re: NBA Playoffs Thread

[ QUOTE ]

Toronto in 7 over Cleveland
this will be one of the best series' in the playoffs, maybe its just because i am from toronto [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Jack of Arcades 04-19-2007 12:39 AM

Clark,

What are you, some Dallas hater? Everyone knows the NBA is canceling the Finals because Detroit will forfeit rather than get their butts kicked 150-0 at home.

kbfc 04-19-2007 12:57 AM

Why not...

East:
DET over ORL in 4
CLE over WAS in 4
TOR over NJN in 5
CHI over MIA in 7

DET over CHI in 7
TOR over CLE in 6

DET over TOR in 6

West:
DAL over GSW in 5
PHX over LAL in 5
SAS over DEN in 5
HOU over UTA in 6

DAL over HOU in 6
SAS over PHX in 6

DAL over SAS in 7

Finals:
DAL over DET in 6

Eagles 04-19-2007 01:10 AM

Has the schedule has been released yet?

Artdogg 04-19-2007 01:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Has the schedule has been released yet?

[/ QUOTE ]

good question, im gonna be in PHX the 11th-14th or 15th and am hoping game 2 or 5 or 7 of spurs/suns fall in that range

suns in 5
suns in 7
suns in 7
suns in 7

Hornacek 04-19-2007 01:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Clark,

What are you, some Dallas hater? Everyone knows the NBA is canceling the Finals because Detroit will forfeit rather than get their butts kicked 150-0 at home.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol? prop bet?

xorbie 04-19-2007 01:26 AM

Utah over Houston in 6.

KanMan 04-19-2007 01:43 AM

East:
DET over ORL in 5
CLE over WAS in 4
TOR over NJN in 7
MIA over CHI in 6

DET over MIA in 5
CLE over TOR in 7

DET over CLE in 6

West:
GSW over DAL in 6
PHX over LAL in 5
SAS over DEN in 5
HOU over UTA in 5

GSW over HOU in 6
PHX over SAS in 7

GSW over PHX in 6

Finals:
DET over GSW in 7

BobboFitos 04-19-2007 01:45 AM

The Bobbo\'s Predictions

East, Round 1.
Magic (8) vs Pistons (1)
Grats to the magic getting there. fighting off the pacers / rest of the bad East teams, Grant Hill deserves this. Darko welcomes back his old team, and Howard will gain invaluable playoff experience, cementing his status as one of the best young franchise guys. That said, Pistons will sweep, 4-0.

Wizards (7) vs Cavs (2)
Lebron et al cant be any happier, securing the #2 seed and the easy matchup vs wizards for round 1. I'm somewhat (on a personal level) saddened that the Wiz lost both Gilbert and Caron, since I thought they had a legit chance to play loser to the west in the finals. Oh well, Cavs sweep the now-horrible Antawn led Wiz, 4-0.

Nets (6) vs Raptors (3)
The Nets moved up from fringe playoff team to a solid 8th not because of their own play (although 8-2 down the stretch doesnt hurt!) but moreso because of the ineptitude of everyone else (sixers, pacers, magic, wizard freefalling bc of injuries). Kidd is savy, Vince is playing for a potential max contract, and it looks like Richard Jefferson is somewhat healthy. Still, they start Mikki Moore and Jason Collins, which is by far the worst frontline in the playoffs. Bosh will be far too much to handle for these guys. The Raptors are young, but will win 4-2 and advance to the 2nd round.

Bulls (5) vs Heat (4)
Although the 5 seed, the Bulls have homecourt because of the stupid playoff system. (wtf, just call them the 4 seed!* same deal with the Rockets/Jazz) This is imo the only interesting East Round 1 matchup because either team can win. Without sounding too tired by repeating others, this hinges on Shaq and Alonzo. (Not so much on the frontcourts, since Dwayne vs Gordon/Luol should be more or less a wash) If Wallace can contain Shaq, GG. Interestingly though, I think either the Heat will sweep 4-0 or it will go 7 games with the Bulls pulling through. I dont want to not pick one, so I'll give the nod to the young Bulls with Tyrus Thomas being the X factor, 4-3 win.

2nd Round:
Bulls (5) vs Pistons (1)
This is yet another interesting matchup - both teams are very well coached, neither team has a megastar, yet both teams have alot of talent balanced around. Chauncey/Rip/Tayshaun are a better backcourt then Hinrich/Gordon/Luol, although it's close. Cwebb/Sheed/Dice man are better then Brown/Thomas/Wallace, although that, too, is close. Pistons win 4-2, with Carlos Delfino being the X-factor.

Raptors (3) vs Cavs (2)
I'd love to say the Raptors will move on to the ECF, but they wont. They're dont have a shutdown answer for Lebron. (BTW, Raptors fans, who will draw that defensive assignment?) Im interested as well if they stick Z on Bosh or whatnot. Any case, I love Lebron, I dont love his teammates, but it's a testament to how good he is and the somewhat easy draw they have to say they will move on to the ECF. Cavs win 4-1, even though Larry Hughes is a huge fish.

ECF
Cavs (2) vs Pistons (1)
The Pistons have been here before. They play elite defense. They can shutdown Lebron, his teammates, even the fans in the front row. This wont be as interesting as Bulls vs Pistons, simply because I feel the Bulls are the 2nd best Eastern team. Pistons will win 4-1, repping the East in the finals.

West, Round 1.
Warriors (8) vs Mavs (1)
This is a homerism. Warriors win 4-2. Hopefully I'll get playoff tickets to watch it. The small lineup will work wonders, Nellie > Avery.

Lakers (7) vs Suns (2)
LOL Kobe. Welcome to sweepville. Suns 4-0, Nash doesnt break a sweat. Showcasing why he should be MVP again, even though he'll finish 2nd to Dirk.

Nuggets (6) vs Spurs (3)
The problem with this matchup is that although the Nuggets are incredibly hot, and a VERY good team (would be best in the East, I think) they face the Spurs. The Spurs are one of those teams that dont try in the regular season yet get a top seed, then play much better then their competition. Yes, I hate Manu/TD/etc. and their obnoxious whining, but I think they're the best team in the league. AI will play very well, as will Nene/Etc. but they'll fall to TD's statue face (with the occasional jackass grin) 4-2, Spurs.

Rockets (5) vs Jazz (4)
I love the Jazz, they should've grabbed homecourt, but whatever. 4-0 Jazz.

2nd Round:
Warriors (8) vs Jazz (4)
Too bad Warriors have to lose to my favorite team here. 4-0 Jazz.

Spurs (3) vs Suns (2)
I dont need to say much, bc everyone else will say too much. Spurs win 4-3 in the best series of the playoffs.

WCF
Jazz (4) vs Spurs (3)
Sigh, no more Homer left in me, Hello championship Spurs. Another good series, but it only goes 6 as the Spurs win 4-2.

Finals, Pistons vs Spurs: Spurs sweep.

Victor 04-19-2007 04:36 AM

Re: The Bobbo\'s Predictions

cavs should beat the rapts. who knows if they will show up tho. should be an entertaining series.

Marwan 04-19-2007 04:55 AM

I really believe that, In Miami's case, you can't wait for the playoffs to play playoff basketball.. I don't think the magic light is just going to switch to "On" mode.. Not saying they can't beat the Bulls, cuz Heat haven't been 100% all season.. but I dunno if, as a team, you can go from playing mediocre as a unit to beating a pretty good Bulls squad.

My picks:

EAST:

(1) Det > (8) Orlando. 4-1
(2) Cleveland > (7) Washington. 4-0
(3) Raptors > (6) Nets. 4-2
(5) Bulls > (4) Heat. 4-3

First 2 seeds = might as well give them a bye.. Cle/Washington will be the most lop-sided. Orlando might take one game only if Detroit gets bored.. it's hard to sweep a team. My beloved Raptors are facing the Nets in a matchup that is made for television and the media. The ACC will be a madhouse, and Raps fans will get their vindication. Bulls/Heat, most highly contested 1st round match-up in the East. Bulls gave them a decent run last year w/o home, with a worse team, and with a better Miami team.. now Bulls have everything in their favor, Bulls take it.

Rd.2:
Cleveland > Toronto in 7
Det > Chicago in 7 games

I hope this doesn't hold true as a Raps fan, but they first have to prove they can win on the road, something they haven't done yet.. Detroit and Chicago, Ben vs. former team.. Detroit is the cream of the crop in the East, but the gap has narrowed considerably compared to their Finals runs. Detroit back to the EC finals behind the Palace crowd. Both of these series will exemplify why you play for home in the regular season.

EC Finals:

Detroit > Cavs in 6.

Bron has to wait until Detroit dismantles a bit or Cleveland gets one or two more pieces before going to the Finals. (and Miami's getting older) Cavs enjoy the easiest road to the conference finals of any team, but find that they're playing much tougher competition.

------------------------------------
WEST:

(1) Dallas > (8) GS. 4-2
(2) Suns > (7) Lakers. 4-1
(3) Spurs > (6) Nuggets. 4-1
(5) Rockets > (4) Jazz. 4-3

I give GS 2 games cuz they're a great home squad, and have played Dallas well the past 2 seasons. Suns and Spurs shouldn't have much of a problem, they breeze through. Rockets and Jazz is a tossup for me, Jazz are deep and have all the tools, Rockets are really well-coached and have two of the best players in the league.. I think when it comes down to the end, they'll have more players to make plays.. I give Rockets edge with the home advantage in what should be one of the best series of the first round.

Rd. 2

Dallas > Rockets in 6.
Spurs > Suns in 6.

Dallas has no answer for Yao Ming victimizing their bigs, but Rockets run out of gas after an exhausting first round match. I want Nash to win a championship, but i'll go with the popular vote.

WC Finals

Spurs > Dallas in 7.

Spurs get revenge for last year, shocking the 20K Dallas fans on their home floor.

FINALS:

Spurs > Det in 6.

Spurs win in another classic installment of one of the most boring matchups in NBA Finals history.

BobboFitos 04-19-2007 05:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]

FINALS:

Spurs > Det in 6.

Spurs win in another classic installment of one of the most boring matchups in NBA Finals history.

[/ QUOTE ]

sigh, defense wins championships? (QFT tho, of course)

billyjex 04-19-2007 07:01 AM

GO WARRIORS!!!!!!!!!

curtis012 04-19-2007 09:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Raptors (3) vs Cavs (2)
I'd love to say the Raptors will move on to the ECF, but they wont. They're dont have a shutdown answer for Lebron. (BTW, Raptors fans, who will draw that defensive assignment?) Im interested as well if they stick Z on Bosh or whatnot. Any case, I love Lebron, I dont love his teammates, but it's a testament to how good he is and the somewhat easy draw they have to say they will move on to the ECF. Cavs win 4-1, even though Larry Hughes is a huge fish.

[/ QUOTE ]

Anthony Parker. He'll hold his own too.

MoreWineII 04-19-2007 11:09 AM

Golden State won't win that series in a million years. I watched Golden State struggle at times with Portland's JV squad last night in a game that meant everything to them.

I don't understand the delusion. ???

AllinDan 04-19-2007 11:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Golden State won't win that series in a million years. I watched Golden State struggle at times with Portland's JV squad last night in a game that meant everything to them.

[/ QUOTE ]

uhh, were we watching the same game? I saw one where GS led by 17 immediately and ~20 the whole game. not win that series in a million years? lol.

FlyWf 04-19-2007 11:32 AM

I'm getting very, very tired of the media's love affair with the Heat. I know, they luckboxed a championship last year. But have the 5th best record in the East this year! Wade is hurt, Shaq is old, everyone else blows. They are 18th in Hollinger rank, and that sounds about right. Unless the refs decide to give Wade another ring they are out in the first round.

Aces McGee 04-19-2007 11:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Interestingly though, I think either the Heat will sweep 4-0 or it will go 7 games with the Bulls pulling through

[/ QUOTE ]

Please explain this.

-McGee

tdarko 04-19-2007 11:37 AM

East

Detroit in 4 over Orlando
Cleveland in 4 over Washington
Toronto in 5 over New Jersey
Miami in 7 over Bulls

Rd 2
Detroit in 7 over Miami
Toronto in 5 over Cleveland

ECF
Detroit in 5 over Toronto

West

Dallas in 6 over GSW
Phx in 5 over LAL
SAS in 5 over Denver
Houston in 6 over Utah

Rd 2

Dallas in 6 over Houston
Suns in 7 over SAS

WCF

Dallas in 7 over Suns

Finals

Dallas in 6 over Detroit

*I used Clark's template so I didn't have to type lol, gracias*

g-bebe 04-19-2007 11:41 AM

Wow. I'm rooting for the Raps the whole way... I just didn't think anyone in America took them seriously. Lots of people got them over Cleveland to make ti to the ECF!

tdarko 04-19-2007 12:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't get it either. There really is a false sense of what really happened. The Clippers handed them the playoff spot (losing 7 of their last 10) while GS benefited from some nice timing. Just look at their games in April, I will run them off in reverse order:

Portland- 22 pt. win. The Blazers played like they had their car engines running in the parking lot last night. Did anyone watch the NOK/LAC game, the Hornets played till the last whistle, tough break clip show--though it didn't matter.

Dallas- 29 pt win. This was over at the tip-off. They faced D-leaguers and guys on the bench that have been setting season highs in minutes the last week and a half. Another win handed to them.

Minnesota- 13 pt win. This should be self-explanatory. Dallas, beat them w/ that D-league lineup by 18 so you understand how bad this team is, it is not out of the question that they have either packed it in for the lottery or just tanking it. This is actually one of their closer scores as of late.

Sacramento- 17 pt win. Sac boys are so up and down. They played one good quarter in this game and the rest was just flat out ugly. Sacramento didn't show up. They had just had a back to back with the spurs and a day off then GS whereas GS had had UTA at home and then 3 days off. Either way it wouldn't matter, Sac sucks.

Utah- 24 pt. win. Utah lost 5 of its next 6 games after wrapping up its division. This was one of those games. Another game where GS's opponent had less want to win than them. Another gift. Obviously judging by the score (and the other scores).

SA- 13 pt loss. A real game. SA is still playing for something, the second seed and they controlled every part of the game. This should make Avery's loins sweaty and warm b/c this is the game plan he will want to use.

Memphis- 12 pt. win. No need to talk about this. Memphis is terrible.

Houston- 11 pt. win. See, some of these wins look real good on paper but then when you look into it you see--McGrady 6 minutes 0 points etc. etc. Ahh an injured TMac changes everything. More that goes right for them.

That was their month of April. Do some of you think they are winning by an avg of 18 points a game b/c they are the best team in the league, I mean even the Suns didn't have stretches like that?

I will say that their small lineup, ability to get down the court, and their quickness will cause some problems for anyone. But do we all remember a few years ago when we all hated the Mavericks and picked them to win 60 games and get swept in the first round? Why was that? It was b/c Nellie's run up and down the court and play little D doesn't win postseason games.

Aces McGee 04-19-2007 12:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't get it either.

[/ QUOTE ]

Guys, he said it was a "homerism." I took that to mean he's a GS fan and was picking based on that.

-McGee

Marwan 04-19-2007 12:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Wow. I'm rooting for the Raps the whole way... I just didn't think anyone in America took them seriously. Lots of people got them over Cleveland to make ti to the ECF!

[/ QUOTE ]

The 'experts' are still not believers.. Marc Stein of ESPN has the Nets in 6.. Go Raps.. I seriously can't wait for the playoffs to begin

tuq 04-19-2007 12:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
SAS in 5 over Suns

[/ QUOTE ]
WTF Clark. I mean, I can see the Spurs winning, but in five?

That lower bracket of the EC is probably the worst I've ever seen. What a flaming turd of mediocrity that is.

MoreWineII 04-19-2007 12:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't get it either.

[/ QUOTE ]

Guys, he said it was a "homerism." I took that to mean he's a GS fan and was picking based on that.

-McGee

[/ QUOTE ]

No, no, no I understand the homer pick quite well. I'm talking about people who have no stake in GS winning who are trying to make the argument GS is a better team in a short series. I get that it's trendy to pick an underdog but I think picking GS over Dallas and trying to make a logical argument to support that is crazy.

Nez477 04-19-2007 12:56 PM

Predictions:

Don't care about the east. Would love to see Toronto make noise.

West:

SAS in 6
DAL in 4 (To shut up all the idiots who think the Warriors are going to win the series)
HOU in 5
PHX in 5

DAl over HOU in 7
SAS over PHX in 6
SAS over DAL in 7

San Antonio beats the hell out of the Eastern Conference.

Nez477 04-19-2007 01:07 PM

For the record, I think the Jazz are going to get pummeled by the Rockets. The Jazz are limping (and that's kind) into the playoffs, every player is playing poor basketball other than Memo, Derek Fisher is the worst guard in the western conference playoffs and is bringing the team down, the attitude in Utah is pretty dismal, and in general I think the Rockets are a much more solid team.

I'm one of the biggest Nuggets fans in the world, and if we happened to take them to 7 games I'd pop the champagne.

We have been a very good team as of late. We're 8-0 in games that actually mean something over the past 3 weeks. Melo and AI are playing very well together. Linas Kleiza is burying the 3-ball, Nene is shooting 65% since March, Camby had 27 blocks in 3 games in April... things have been really good in the Denver front.

BUT: I think we're playing the best team in the NBA. The Spurs have the best record (or at least did as of this past weeked) in the NBA since the all-star break. They are the most scary, solid basketball team in the NBA right now. What weakness do they have? PG defence isn't 100% fantastic, so maybe AI will be effective, but overall they create so many matchup problems for us.

I think the Nugs will win one of the first two games again, but struggle as Popovich outcaoches Karl in the 4 following games. Pop adjusts so much better than Karl does.

There's the two series I feel strongest about.

tuq 04-19-2007 01:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Derek Fisher is the worst guard in the western conference playoffs

[/ QUOTE ]
Did Smush Parker get traded to the EC or waived overnight?

BobboFitos 04-19-2007 03:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
yeah, wtf? fisher is not bad.

Nez477 04-19-2007 04:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Fisher has beed god-awful lately.

Since March he is 71-214 for an amazing 33% clip. He's slow, not a great defender. He's gone 12-55 from the 3-point line in that time period. And for some reason he's gotten 28 minutes a game in this stretch. 3.2 assists, 1.6 rebounds, 1.7 turnovers. These are all numbers since March 1.

The Smush Parker argument has merit, but at least Phil's been benching him...

The few Jazz fans I know absolutely hate him.

xorbie 04-19-2007 04:14 PM

Hopefully Brewer seems a lot of action. He could use some playoff experience.

Nez477 04-19-2007 04:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hopefully Brewer seems a lot of action. He could use some playoff experience.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. Plus he's better than Fisher anyway.

oe39 04-19-2007 04:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

isn't his career basically that one playoffs he got hot from 3?

Assani Fisher 04-19-2007 05:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm getting very, very tired of the media's love affair with the Heat. I know, they luckboxed a championship last year. But have the 5th best record in the East this year! Wade is hurt, Shaq is old, everyone else blows . They are 18th in Hollinger rank, and that sounds about right. Unless the refs decide to give Wade another ring they are out in the first round.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think J Williams is one of the more underreated players of this generation.

Jack of Arcades 04-19-2007 06:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

isn't his career basically that one playoffs he got hot from 3?

[/ QUOTE ]

Pretty much. He's never been much ever than average, if that.

Degenerasian 04-19-2007 07:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm getting very, very tired of the media's love affair with the Heat. I know, they luckboxed a championship last year. But have the 5th best record in the East this year! Wade is hurt, Shaq is old, everyone else blows . They are 18th in Hollinger rank, and that sounds about right. Unless the refs decide to give Wade another ring they are out in the first round.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think J Williams is one of the more underreated players of this generation.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL....yeah right.

FlyWf 04-19-2007 07:52 PM

Flashy white point guards are definitely prone to being seriously underrated.

imitation 04-19-2007 08:10 PM

East

Detroit in 4 over Orlando
Cleveland in 5 over Washington
Toronto in 5 over New Jersey
Bulls in 7 over Miami

Rd 2
Detroit in 5 over Bulls
Cleveland in 7 over Toronto

ECF
Detroit in 5 over Cleveland

West

Dallas in 4 over GSW
Phx in 5 over LAL
SAS in 7 over Denver
Houston in 4 over Utah

Rd 2

Houston in 6 over Dallas
Suns in 6 over SAS

WCF

Houston in 5 over Suns

Finals

Houston in 7 over Detroit

NozeCandy 04-19-2007 08:39 PM

Anyone that has Detroit getting swept by anyone in the finals is being ridiculous.