Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Televised Poker (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   WPT Borgata Open thread (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=382293)

Kevmath 04-18-2007 07:38 PM

WPT Borgata Open thread

Time for another WPT broadcast, featuring this final table:

Mark Newhouse 7,025,000
Anthony Argila 3,000,000
Chris Bell 1,200,000
David Sklansky 840,000
Blaise Ingoglia 700,000
Chris McCormack 665,000

EC10 04-18-2007 09:19 PM

Re: WPT Borgata Open thread

this fat amateur is a huge tool

JackWhite 04-18-2007 09:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you check A-K everytime you miss, it is going to be a long night. Not sure how he made it this far playing that weak.

agent_fish 04-18-2007 10:46 PM

I don't see why Mike Sexton is making such a big deal about Sklansky going all in with 55 after getting re-raised. It was 3 handed. It's tough to lay down a pair when the blinds are so big. Villian could easily have been re-raising with Ace-big.

gobboboy 04-18-2007 10:56 PM

Fwiw, his 55 was a trivially easy laydown.

McGinty 04-18-2007 11:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't see why Mike Sexton is making such a big deal about Sklansky going all in with 55 after getting re-raised. It was 3 handed. It's tough to lay down a pair when the blinds are so big. Villian could easily have been re-raising with Ace-big.

[/ QUOTE ]

He also questioned Sklansky for moving in w/66 when he was desperately short-stacked. What is Sexton advocating? Fold 66 with 6-8 BBs left (maybe less)? He had enough chips left to fold 55 there so a laydown is possible, but is it correct to assume you are up against an overpair?

In both situations, Sklansky would have been last to act after the flop so the stop and go wasn't an option (I don't think Sklansky had enough to push someone off the hand on the flop anyway).

Again, what is the right move according to Sexton? With the chip stacks plus the insane structure, is there anything you can do other than just stick it in preflop?

Rushmore 04-18-2007 11:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He also questioned Sklansky for moving in w/66 when he was desperately short-stacked. What is Sexton advocating? Fold 66 with 6-8 BBs left (maybe less)? He had enough chips left to fold 55 there so a laydown is possible, but is it correct to assume you are up against an overpair?

In both situations, Sklansky would have been last to act after the flop so the stop and go wasn't an option (I don't think Sklansky had enough to push someone off the hand on the flop anyway).

Again, what is the right move according to Sexton? With the chip stacks plus the insane structure, is there anything you can do other than just stick it in preflop?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sexton's overemphasized point was that you want to have at least SOME FE, whcih he does not in the hand with the 66.

What he failed to point out is that the more you let your stack dwindle and dwindle, the less chance there is that you'll ever conceivably be in a situation that might offer any FE.

Hollywade 04-18-2007 11:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I couldn't figure out what the hell Sexton was talking about when Sklansky had the 66. Seemed like an obvious move to me in that situation.

The 55 vs 1010 surprised me a little bit though. I thought by just making a standard raise from the button, David would have easily been able to get off 55 facing a shove. As Sexton said at the time, the best case scenario for Sklansky is a coin flip and it's just as likely that he is crushed.

Hollywade 04-18-2007 11:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed, assuming you're talking about Blaise, or whatever the hell his name was. Didn't really notice he was fat, but definitely a tool.

First he tries to donk off his whole stack with QJ. Then he hits his miracle river card and goes nuts.

"Game on now, big stack." Nice.

When I river the piss out of someone, I quietly drag the pot and try to win with class.

I've said it before and I'll say it again...I hate poker players.

Dima2000123 04-18-2007 11:33 PM

Sexton seemed foolish when talking about the 66 hand. David probably wasn't making a move (he's be daft to do that with his chip stack), he was making a value shove. And when he made the comment that the worst hand won after 66 held up...that was just embarrassing.

As for 55, I don't know what David was thinking. He had to have at least 20 BB's left, IIRC. That was a bad time to put all the money in being slight favorite at best.

Hollywade 04-18-2007 11:34 PM

Is anyone else fed up with VVP yet?

Do we really need him to remind us every week that poker is like making love?

Also, couldn't we just refer to 44 as "two fours" or "a pair of fours?" Nope. It's the "mid-life crisis." Only it's not crisis. VVP says "crises."

Please just shut up. Not everything needs a nickname.

Dima2000123 04-18-2007 11:36 PM

What is he supposed to talk about if he can't even pull card nicknames out of his ass?

McGinty 04-19-2007 12:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Sexton's overemphasized point was that you want to have at least SOME FE, whcih he does not in the hand with the 66.

What he failed to point out is that the more you let your stack dwindle and dwindle, the less chance there is that you'll ever conceivably be in a situation that might offer any FE.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, Sklansky started the TV table short, but he was crippled because he lost a coinflip when he called the all-in of a guy who legitimately let himself get blinded off to nothing. If he wins that hand, and then moves all-in with 66, he has a good chance of forcing AT to fold.

If Sexton wants to criticize Sklansky for letting himself get that short-stacked, that's one thing, but at that exact point in time there's nothing to do but shove with 66.

Looking back, he did have enough chips to wait for a better spot to make a stand, but perhaps he feared getting into a situation similar to the 66 hand.

jerseylimit 04-19-2007 12:31 AM

im sure somebody has said this before...mark newhouse really looks like that guy from dazed and confused

Tyler Durden 04-19-2007 12:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
im sure somebody has said this before...mark newhouse really looks like that guy from dazed and confused

[/ QUOTE ]

lol my buddy said the same thing tonight

Phanekim 04-19-2007 01:04 AM

I thought the 55 hand was a mistake when i followed it on cardplayer. I am glad sexton thought so too.

Hamburglar 04-19-2007 03:40 AM

lol@sklansky not knowing what a stop-n-go is.

look at newhouse w/ his giant smile at the end, so oblivious to the horror that awakes him. lol

Dominic 04-19-2007 03:45 AM

I'd love David to explain his thinking on this hand:

Tony moves all in on the button. David has AJ and chooses to call half his stack instead of moving all-in with Newhizzle in the BB and obviously showing he'll play a lot of pots. Newhizzle folds here, but I'm wondering why David didn't just push to isolate the button. AJ is a strong hand here but not one you want to play with against the cheap leader out of position...

anyone?

Hamburglar 04-19-2007 03:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd love David to explain his thinking on this hand:

Tony moves all in on the button. David has AJ and chooses to call half his stack instead of moving all-in with Newhizzle in the BB and obviously showing he'll play a lot of pots. Newhizzle folds here, but I'm wondering why David didn't just push to isolate the button. AJ is a strong hand here but not one you want to play with against the cheap leader out of position...

anyone?

[/ QUOTE ]

the guy likes 3somes.

chicken10der 04-19-2007 05:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you! I was trying to place his face the entire time I was watching the show. That's it.

chicken10der 04-19-2007 05:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]

look at newhouse w/ his giant smile at the end, so oblivious to the horror that awakes him. lol

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess I'm out of the loop here - what is this about?

KungFuManchu 04-19-2007 06:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess I'm out of the loop here - what is this about?

[/ QUOTE ]

Slightly NSFW

there was a thread about her in NVG

luck=skill 04-19-2007 07:09 AM

damn who is she ?

KungFuManchu 04-19-2007 08:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
damn who is she ?

[/ QUOTE ]

the reason god invented masturbation, you get 80% of the pleasure, and none of the headache.

luck=skill 04-19-2007 08:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
the reason god invented masturbation, you get 80% of the pleasure, and none of the headache.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT

RichGangi 04-19-2007 08:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Agreed. Totally different situation from the 66 hand.

RichGangi 04-19-2007 08:56 AM

I can't believe no one has mentioned how impressive Chris McCormacks play/demeanor was. He played excellently AND carried himself like a true professional. Very refreshing to see someone around my age not acting like an idiot on TV.

KungFuManchu 04-19-2007 08:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
damn who is she ?

[/ QUOTE ]

there is a new thread that she started in NVG at the moment. It has some decent drama going on.

Here is one of the earlier ones: LINK

but the best one, which was an absolute dramabomb (penis on the back, Newhouse vs Brandi, Brandi vs herself, etc) and one of the greatest all around threads to kill time to, has been deleted apparently or moved to the mod forum.

cogger 04-19-2007 10:05 AM

So who took 1st, 2nd, 3rd? I feel asleep. Just a sign poker is becoming boring. (just kidding). It was the late edition.

dspholladay 04-19-2007 11:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Also, couldn't we just refer to 44 as "two fours" or "a pair of fours?" Nope. It's the "mid-life crisis." Only it's not crisis. VVP says "crises."

[/ QUOTE ]

Fed up? I think he's hysterical. I was cracking up when he compared poker to making love - "it's all about position". He also had me laughing the other week when he said something about Stan Weiss looking like a cigar smoking Indian or something like that. I hope they don't get rid of him when the WPT moves to GSN.

The B 04-19-2007 11:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

everytime somebody tries to TRAP...do we have to hear the "covering the hole with sticks and twigs" comment

Hey_Porter 04-19-2007 11:47 AM

Both Newhouse and Sklansky have abnormal looking hands and hand gestures, and while I was disgusted, I couldn't turn away. That's my contribution to this thread.

tuq 04-19-2007 12:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed, assuming you're talking about Blaise, or whatever the hell his name was. Didn't really notice he was fat, but definitely a tool.

First he tries to donk off his whole stack with QJ. Then he hits his miracle river card and goes nuts.

When I river the piss out of someone, I quietly drag the pot and try to win with class.

[/ QUOTE ]
Goddamn, QFT. Haven't seen this show in ages, stumbled across it last night. Whenever I river someone I feel embarrassed and sit there quietly/apologize when appropriate, not dance around like a crackmonkey. Particularly when it was as stupid a play as he got away with.

Also, don't get the VVP hate, never have. Maybe because I have a lot more hate for Norm Chad and his stupid nonstop ex-wife jokes that Lon McEachern is forced to laugh at even though he knows they're not funny.

stephenNUTS 04-19-2007 01:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I can't believe no one has mentioned how impressive Chris McCormacks play/demeanor was. He played excellently AND carried himself like a true professional. Very refreshing to see someone around my age not acting like an idiot on TV.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have had the pleasure(and challenge) of playing with C-Mack a few times including the recent 2006 USPC.He is not only a gentleman but a DAMN good poker player!
It truly is a discredit to his abilities at the the F/T of the push-fest WPT Events,that mean millions of REAL dollars to the finalist's .It is a shame that one's ability is tremendously diminished with the current structure.It is quite sad ,when the BIG stack has 20 or so BB"s,and the small stack has as low as 4??

What a joke this has become!
~stephen

The B 04-19-2007 01:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I have had the pleasure(and challenge) of playing with C-Mack a few times including the recent 2006 USPC.He is not only a gentleman but a DAMN good poker player!
It truly is a discredit to his abilities at the the F/T of the push-fest WPT Events,that mean millions of REAL dollars to the finalist's .It is a shame that one's ability is tremendously diminished with the current structure.It is quite sad ,when the BIG stack has 20 or so BB"s,and the small stack has as low as 4??

What a joke this has become!
~stephen

[/ QUOTE ]

AGREE 100%.....

the WPT can't be considered "one of poker's majors" w/ this structure

Fels krone 04-19-2007 01:57 PM

TStone is a railbird [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

TimTimSalabim 04-19-2007 04:00 PM

I find it annoying that VVP calls the action like it's a cash game "He's betting 150 thousand dollars... that could buy a nice luxury car". Other than that, I find him generally entertaining.

PITTM 04-19-2007 04:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Goddamn, QFT. Haven't seen this show in ages, stumbled across it last night. Whenever I river someone I feel embarrassed and sit there quietly/apologize when appropriate, not dance around like a crackmonkey. Particularly when it was as stupid a play as he got away with.

Also, don't get the VVP hate, never have. Maybe because I have a lot more hate for Norm Chad and his stupid nonstop ex-wife jokes that Lon McEachern is forced to laugh at even though he knows they're not funny.

[/ QUOTE ]

April 19, 1:42 pm.

PITTM agrees with tuq. mark it down.

David Sklansky 04-19-2007 05:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Agreed. Totally different situation from the 66 hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

If he is reraising with the number of hands that he should, I shouldn't be folding two fives. Especially given the blinds coming up. But even if he would only reraise with hands such that he was 40% or so to have a higher pair, I was taking a 60% chance of looking like I was "bluffed out". The slight saving in Chip EV, if his big reraise meant AK AQ, KQs, or AJs, as well as say 77 thru JJ, didn't make up, in my mind,for the public relations catastrophe of being seen throwing away the best hand (NOT just a coin flip) with the tournament on the line.

David Sklansky 04-19-2007 05:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[lol@sklansky not knowing what a stop-n-go is.

[/ QUOTE ]

Like I'm going to use a play that gains maybe one percent, that neither the viewers nor the announcers understand and has a good chance of looking ridiculous.