Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   BBV4Life (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   Prof salaries (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=377917)

Gildwulf 04-13-2007 04:50 PM

Prof salaries

My buddy goes to University of Toronto for a dual MBA/JD. Anyways, in Ontario professors legally have to publish their salaries. Here are a few of his profs so far and their salaries:

Rotman School of Business (UofT)

Roger Martin (ITP; Dean) $350,000
Bernardo Blum (Marcoeconomics, GMP) $190,470
Ignatius Horstmann (GMP) $195,166
Jia Lin Xie (MPO) $190,323
Dilip Soman (FIT, MCV) $295,338
Kenneth Corts (Microeconomics) $200,340
Franco Wong (Financial Accounting) – unknown
Brent Bertrand (Accounting) – unknown
David Goldreich (Finance) $114,999
Ulrich Menzefricke (Stats) $164,149
Glen Whyte (Negotiations) $327,555
Tim Rowley (Strategy) $196,897
Bill McEvily (Strategy) $115,999
Brian Silverman $295,704 + $6,664 in taxable benefits
Richard Powers (Ethics) $210,454
Jim Phillips (Leadership) – unknown
Stéphane Côté (Leadership) - $176,258
Mihnea Moldoveanu (ITP) $210,036
Joseph Milner (Operations) $185,269
Philipp Afèche (Operations) unknown

U of T law

Benjamin Alarie (Contracts) $101,332
Mayo Moran (Torts; Dean) $139,332 plus $17,987 in taxable benefits
Darlene Johnston (Property) $125,121
Alan Brudner (Criminal) $172,479
Jean-François Gaudreault-DesBiens (Constitutional – no longer at U of T) $137,202

I'm guessing American counterparts are paid a lot more but even then this is a pretty sick amount of money for professors/administrators. MBA FTW.

ontario gov website:
link

Pog0 04-13-2007 04:56 PM

Re: Prof salaries

fixed link

This is awesome, thanks.

I'd go ahead and look up my professors now... but I don't remember what any of their names were.

GooseHinson 04-13-2007 04:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Glen Whyte (Negotiations) $327,555

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope I'm not the only one who laughed at this.

Woolygimp 04-13-2007 04:58 PM

Someone teach me how to be a professor of negotiations plz kthx.

Esperante 04-13-2007 04:59 PM

http://img181.imageshack.us/img181/4...lerroomyd8.jpg

CappyAA 04-13-2007 04:59 PM

This is pretty sweet. I went to Maryland and 1 time per year they published in the school newspaper the salaries of all UMD employees. I don't remember for sure, but I think they were even a little lower than the salaries above. Gary Williams (the UMD bball coach) trumped all though with his huge salary.

rakes.a.beach 04-13-2007 05:00 PM

At my school, there are lecturers who are only allowed to teach undergrads. They have no voting rights in their dept.'

Then there are full time profs that teach grads and undergrads. I'm not sure if they also teach MBA, medical, law students.

Pog0 04-13-2007 05:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is pretty sweet. I went to Maryland and 1 time per year they published in the school newspaper the salaries of all UMD employees. I don't remember for sure, but I think they were even a little lower than the salaries above. Gary Williams (the UMD bball coach) trumped all though with his huge salary.

[/ QUOTE ]

Multiply these by like 0.88 for currency conversion.

CappyAA 04-13-2007 05:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Multiply these by like 0.88 for currency conversion.

[/ QUOTE ]

True - didn't think of that.

ahnuld 04-13-2007 05:09 PM

gild, ive heard thru the grapevine that most of the undregrad profs at mcgill make between 85k-120k unless they are department heads whereas they make more.

Daddy Warbucks 04-13-2007 05:09 PM

SALARIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES !

yad 04-13-2007 05:38 PM

law school and business school and medical professors make more than science professors who make more than social science professors who make more than humanities profs. so your numbers are at the high end of the academic salary scale.

but in all cases i think it is fair to say that professors nearly always make much less money than other people of comparable education and level of accomplishment within their field. in the sciences, which is what i am familiar with, most make 1/3-1/2 of what they could outside of academia. tradeoff for this is obviously extroardinary freedom. but to say any prof has a huge salary is wrong IMO.

Woolygimp 04-13-2007 06:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
SALARIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES !

[/ QUOTE ]

SAALLLAAAAAAAAAAZZZZZZZZAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRIEEEEEE EEEEEESSSSSSSS

findingneema 04-14-2007 01:07 AM

Business school profs make way more because their options outside of academia pay way more. Same with law and medicine too. Then there's biology and chemistry. Someone with a Ph.D. in history can't get a high-roller job outside of academia, so they get paid less.

Passaman 04-14-2007 01:28 AM

I teach as an adjunct professor and the pay is sweet. A nice padding for my pastor's (small) salary of $48000.

For instance, I teach a U.S. History class in what's called the "Accelerated Degree" program....this program is for adults who started college but dropped out. They can enter the accelerated degree program and get their degree in two years. The curriculum is set in stone...they each have to take the same classes in order. I teach the U.S. History portion. Anyway, I teach 8 classes (once a week for 8 weeks), four hours per class, and get paid $5000. That's more than $600 per class, or more than $150 per hour. I teach four classes a year.

I'm obv not in the league of Canadian professors, but I'll take it.

iwantbooze 04-14-2007 01:40 AM

At the university I work at, most profs are on about $au150k + a loading of 20-40%. They also get a *very* heavily discounted car and other good perks. Of course, most of them are divorced alcoholics.

tboss888 04-14-2007 01:54 AM

Interestingly enough, a lot of the ivy league schools are less competitive in salary due to the prestige and competition in working there.

crazy canuck 04-14-2007 02:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]

gild, ive heard thru the grapevine that most of the undregrad profs at mcgill make between 85k-120k unless they are department heads whereas they make more.

[/ QUOTE ]

Profs or lecturers?

Finance profs in Canada start with around 110k. This goes up after tenure. Once you get tenure you can also add to it by consulting.

Also, keep in mind that U of T finance is fairly highly ranked and getting an academic position there is pretty damn hard.

It's not much higher in the US, unless you're looking at top schools, but most profs in the US only teach for 8 months.

doubLe a tom 04-14-2007 02:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
My buddy goes to University of Toronto for a dual MBA/JD. Anyways, in Ontario professors legally have to publish their salaries. Here are a few of his profs so far and their
salaries:

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF??? SOMEONE ALERT THE AUTHORITIES!

Vendal 04-14-2007 04:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
My buddy goes to University of Toronto for a dual MBA/JD.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats pretty damn crazy. Where did he go for undergrad? and did he have a 4.0?

Gildwulf 04-14-2007 06:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
My buddy goes to University of Toronto for a dual MBA/JD.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats pretty damn crazy. Where did he go for undergrad? and did he have a 4.0?

[/ QUOTE ]

he's a pretty insanely smart guy. Ya, he probably has a 4.0 undergrad or close to it from McGill in polisci/history honours (one of the toughest joint honours programs at McGill).

He failed out of CEGEP, though (the Quebec schooling after highschool but before University) and ended up traveling for 3-4 years and got married. He came back and did his degree and smoked it.

Xanta 04-14-2007 10:50 AM

Funny story. I went to UTS (University of Toronto Schools), which is a laboratory high school in the sociology building for UofT which is right on the corner of Bloor and Spadina. Because of it's affiliation with the university it too had to publish the salaries of any employee making over 100K per year.

Two people from the school were on that list: The principal and a gym teacher.

Ron Wakelin FTW!

whipsaw 04-14-2007 10:53 AM

Those aren't even elite salaries. Schools like Harvard, MIT, have elite salaries.

Xanta 04-14-2007 10:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
My buddy goes to University of Toronto for a dual MBA/JD. Anyways, in Ontario professors legally have to publish their salaries. Here are a few of his profs so far and their
salaries:

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF??? SOMEONE ALERT THE AUTHORITIES!

[/ QUOTE ]

The list only cover people that make >100K IIRC

Gildwulf 04-14-2007 10:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Those aren't even elite salaries. Schools like Harvard, MIT, have elite salaries.

[/ QUOTE ]

hehe and Yale, don't forget Yale

stealthcow 04-14-2007 12:09 PM

Business school teachers make the most at UofT.

I'm in engineering and i think all of the profs i've had make < 200k. A few of them head the physics dept., or materials eng, civ eng etc. So at UofT the money is a bit unequally distributed towards the business section.

Grey 04-14-2007 01:04 PM

Aren't law professors only allowed to teach like once a week or something?