Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Deodorant (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=377823)

nolanfan34 04-13-2007 02:32 PM

Deodorant

Can someone please explain to me why people would choose to not use this? I can understand why in certain countries/societies it might be the norm to not use it. But if you're in the US, and have plenty of disposable income, why would you possibly choose to not use deodorant?

I mean, do people who don't use it think that they actually smell good? Or just not care? Can you grow up in an environment where no one uses it so you just don't notice? This is baffling to me.

Someone please explain.

JackInDaCrak 04-13-2007 02:35 PM

Re: Deodorant

it stains your shirts for one thing

Klompy 04-13-2007 02:38 PM

My old boss didn't wear it because he was afraid of cancer. He smelled like [censored].

RoundGuy 04-13-2007 02:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
When was the last time you used deodorant? 1950? I've never gone a day without it, and never stained a shirt. wtf?

astroglide 04-13-2007 02:53 PM

i don't wear deodorant because basically don't sweat or have body odor. my fiancee, friends, family can confirm.

kylephilly 04-13-2007 02:57 PM

Champ Kind: We need you. Hell, I need you. I'm a mess without you. I miss you so damn much. I miss being with you, I miss being near you. I miss your laugh. I miss your scent; I miss your musk. When this all gets sorted out, I think you and me should get an apartment together.
Brian Fantana: Take it easy, Champ. Why don't you stop talking for a while.

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t...ly/anchor2.jpg

Sometimes you just miss the musk.

Kneel B4 Zod 04-13-2007 02:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My old boss didn't wear it because he was afraid of cancer. He smelled like [censored].

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a buddy who doesn't wear anti-perspirant b/c he thinks it causes cancer, but he does use (natural) deodorant

Slow Play Ray 04-13-2007 03:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
When was the last time you used deodorant? 1950? I've never gone a day without it, and never stained a shirt. wtf?

[/ QUOTE ]

anti-perspirants stain your shirt, not regular deodorants.

Dids 04-13-2007 03:02 PM

There's some health concerns, but they seem slight.

I know some people who claims they don't smell, good for them, not a risk I'm willing to take, nor one I appreciate the people around me taking.

RoundGuy 04-13-2007 03:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
No, they don't. Brut stick, Old Spice stick, Right Guard stick. I've used them all, and all are anti-perspirant/deodorant. What the hell comes out of your pores, man?

Mi_T_Sharp 04-13-2007 03:07 PM

An ex-girlfriend of mine didn't wear it b/c she literally did not ever smell (anywhere). She was very athletic, and she could literally run a marathon and not sweat or smell at all.

traz 04-13-2007 03:11 PM

I have a friend who doesn't seem to wear deodorant, but yet likes to wear cut off shirts. I'm trying to figure out a way to tell him, I'm thinking a giant box for christmas but I may not be able to put up with it until then

astroglide 04-13-2007 03:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
An ex-girlfriend of mine didn't wear it b/c she literally did not ever smell (anywhere). She was very athletic, and she could literally run a marathon and not sweat or smell at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

i wouldn't describe myself as "very athletic", but can i run 2-3 miles nonstop with no pit/chest/back/leg/etc sweat or odor. the only place i seem to sweat is on my forehead, but that is still slight. i've never had any remote presence of foot/shoe odor either.

Mi_T_Sharp 04-13-2007 03:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i wouldn't describe myself as "very athletic", but can i run 2-3 miles nonstop with no pit/chest/back/leg/etc sweat or odor. the only place i seem to sweat is on my forehead, but that is still slight. i've never had any remote presence of foot/shoe odor either.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you Irish?

WayAbvPar 04-13-2007 03:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I know some people who claims they don't smell, good for them, not a risk I'm willing to take, nor one I appreciate the people around me taking.

[/ QUOTE ]

DIDSISRIGHT. Again.

astroglide 04-13-2007 03:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Are you Irish?

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't know if you're making an irish spring joke or referring to some unknown-to-me genetic predisposition to a lack of sweat/smell. my dad's side is strongly german, and probably well below the national sweat average. my mom's side is strongly irish, and basically doesn't sweat. so i do appear to have acquired the trait from my mom's side, the irish one.

4 High 04-13-2007 03:20 PM

I have never heard of these health risks with APs, what are they?

4_2_it 04-13-2007 03:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sweat itself is pretty much odorless ( wiki ). The odor comes from bacteria on your body, which put out odor when they interact with sweat. It stands to reason that people with little of this bacteria not be 'smelly' when they sweat.

Astro, not sweating from anywhere but your forehead during vigorous exercise does not sound normal or healthy.

WayAbvPar 04-13-2007 03:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you use an AP, you are less likely to smell like a wildebeest, and thus more likely to attract a sexual partner and contract a venereal disease.

astroglide 04-13-2007 03:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deodorant#Health_effects

i've only heard about the alzheimer's/aluminum thing, not the (apparently disproven) cancer claims.

Mi_T_Sharp 04-13-2007 03:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Are you Irish?

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't know if you're making an irish spring joke or referring to some unknown-to-me genetic predisposition to a lack of sweat/smell. my dad's side is strongly german, and probably well below the national sweat average. my mom's side is strongly irish, and basically doesn't sweat. so i do appear to have acquired the trait from my mom's side, the irish one.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, my ex girlfriend was Irish. And, I have another Irish friend, whom I didn't mention, that also doesn't wear deodorant and doesn't smell. I don't know how that could have anything to do with it, but.......?

Unfortunately for me, I was born into a Jewish family.

Thremp 04-13-2007 03:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The level of risk for you is like the risk of me dying if I jump of a 20 story building.

Fat people stink. Don't try to church it up.

JJNJustin 04-13-2007 03:55 PM

Speed Stick Deodorant w/o anti-perspirant makes you smell worse. It is a b.o. enhancer. Do not use this product.

-J

Dids 04-13-2007 04:00 PM

Shaving your underarms, imo, helps in terms of staying non-funky in the pit region.

miajag 04-13-2007 04:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Shaving your underarms, imo, helps in terms of staying non-funky in the pit region.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you do this? Is it at all common among males?

KidLifeCrisis 04-13-2007 04:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Deodorant doesn't stain your shirts, but sweat sure does.

KidLifeCrisis 04-13-2007 04:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
No, they don't. Brut stick, Old Spice stick, Right Guard stick. I've used them all, and all are anti-perspirant/deodorant. What the hell comes out of your pores, man?

[/ QUOTE ]
I can verify that old spice antiperspirant/deodorant combo has never stained any of my shirts.

bluey 04-13-2007 04:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

youre fat you smell

astroglide 04-13-2007 04:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Astro, not sweating from anywhere but your forehead during vigorous exercise does not sound normal or healthy.

[/ QUOTE ]

i can feel trace amounts of humidity during exercise, it just doesn't get to the point of condensation. so i'm sure i can sweat, but it might take a marathon to do it. i did 8 miles in 2 hours run/walking a few months ago. not as exerting as straight running, but i don't remember coming close to a sweat. less than a month ago i did a couple miles up pinnacle peak in scottsdale. direct sunlight, 85 degree temp, no sweat or discomfort.

i agree that it's not normal, but it appears to be positive and not a health risk. my body temp is consistently below 98.6. my heartrate is normal during exercise. i hate cold, love heat, and can comfortably withstand hotter temperatures than most people. lifespans are great on both sides of my family, and there are no specific concerns about majors like cancer, heart disease, diabetes, strokes, etc. but if there's a legit medical concern, i'd like to be aware of it.

kerowo 04-13-2007 04:21 PM

Unscented Speed Stick left stains on my shirts that over time turned into solid, plastic like spots on the shirts. Like someone spilled epoxy on the shirt. Unscented Sure does not do this.

4_2_it 04-13-2007 04:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i can feel trace amounts of humidity during exercise, it just doesn't get to the point of condensation. so i'm sure i can sweat, but it might take a marathon to do it. i did 8 miles in 2 hours run/walking a few months ago. not as exerting as straight running, but i don't remember coming close to a sweat. less than a month ago i did a couple miles up pinnacle peak in scottsdale. direct sunlight, 85 degree temp, no sweat or discomfort.

i agree that it's not normal, but it appears to be positive and not a health risk. my body temp is consistently below 98.6. my heartrate is normal during exercise. i hate cold, love heat, and can comfortably withstand hotter temperatures than most people. lifespans are great on both sides of my family, and there are no specific concerns about majors like cancer, heart disease, diabetes, strokes, etc. but if there's a legit medical concern, i'd like to be aware of it.

[/ QUOTE ]

The only medical concerns I can think of (of course I am not a doctor, but I did pay attention in HS biology) would be associated with the failure of the body's sweat glands to properly allow you to cool down. Since you can run 8 miles without a problem in hot temperatures I would think you would have noticed whether you had a problem by now.

SomethingClever 04-13-2007 04:24 PM

I used to be a bit like you... in high school I could play basketball for an hour and barely work up a sweat.

Now when I play I have to wring the shirt out afterward. I'm still in good shape, but it seems like the amount I sweat has increased each year.

Also FWIW I recently (within 1 year) switched from anti-perspirant to plain old deodorant. It doesn't work quite as well, but I fear the aluminum/alzheimer connection.

KilgoreTrout 04-13-2007 04:29 PM

I'm Irish.

My father never used the stuff. He didn't reek, but he also showered before work, played golf or raquetball or went running afterward and then showered again after that, so he was squeaky clean.

I can miss a day and not stink, but more than that and I feel like Pigpen from Charlie Brown.

Certain brands, like Speed Stick, sting the heck out of my pits. Don't know if they still make that stuff, but it was like applying hydrchloric acid. Brut was the same (and IMO it smelled horrible).

philr 04-13-2007 04:31 PM

Who knows. There are definately some cultural aspects.

JuntMonkey 04-13-2007 04:31 PM

I don't understand why people are so huge on deodorant. It just doesn't seem right that somebody would start to smell ALL because of his underarms and that this localized smell would be UNEQUIVOCALLY blocked by deodorant.

If I haven't taken a shower that day or took a nap and got a little sweated up or whatever, yea I'll definitely spray something on. However, at that point it's not just my underarms I'm afraid of - there's also the rest of my sweaty torso, anus, and genital area - and I spray wherever I need it.

If I take a fresh shower, I really don't think I will start to smell that day with normal activity (except pooping/wiping which deodorant will not help), deodorant or not. This is backed up by other people of course. My breath is another story.

So again, I just think it's retarded to think that a fat guy will smell awful if he didn't put a little bit of stuff under his arms that morning, but smell delicious if he did.

daryn 04-13-2007 04:38 PM

what is the difference between antiperspirant and deodorant? i just use the terms interchangeably i guess

Kneel B4 Zod 04-13-2007 04:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
what is the difference between antiperspirant and deodorant? i just use the terms interchangeably i guess

[/ QUOTE ]

antiperspirant - stops you from perspiring (sweating)
deodorant - prevents or hides your bodies odor

daryn 04-13-2007 04:43 PM

right of course but is it a certain chemical or something? i mean given two sticks would you be able to tell which one is the ap and which the deodorant on looks alone?

kerowo 04-13-2007 04:44 PM

No, I think it is in the labeling, and deodorant probably doesn't come in the unscented variety...

Kneel B4 Zod 04-13-2007 05:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
right of course but is it a certain chemical or something? i mean given two sticks would you be able to tell which one is the ap and which the deodorant on looks alone?

[/ QUOTE ]

well, AP uses aluminion, which is fairly controversial. there are all types of ingredients/applications/types of deoderants though, so sometimes you could tell b/c of white flaky stuff, sometimes you couldn't