Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   OOT POLE TIME: Borat vs. Anchorman (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=375984)

Dids 04-11-2007 12:10 PM

OOT POLE TIME: Borat vs. Anchorman

Which has more funny?

RoundGuy 04-11-2007 12:12 PM

Re: OOT POLE TIME: Borat vs. Anchorman

Dammit, if this pole doesn't have a ".5" option, I'm not participating.

casey_brick 04-11-2007 12:14 PM

Borat hands down, what in Anchorman in funnier than the naked hotel room fight?

kylephilly 04-11-2007 12:14 PM

Wow two of my favorite movies of all time what do I do?

Dids 04-11-2007 12:15 PM

IMO, Anchorman >>> Borat, which I enjoyed, but relative to what appears to be popular opinion, is way overrated.

The 5 way radio station fight >>> naked hotel room.

kerowo 04-11-2007 12:15 PM

Depends. Borat looks like stupid "aren't people funny" comedy of manners while Anchorman is more of a farce.

solids 04-11-2007 12:16 PM

This is like comparing apples and oranges. Two completely different types of comedy. But if I had to choose, I would say Anchorman is funnier. It had more "classic" lines.

EvanJC 04-11-2007 12:17 PM

dude you spelled poll wrong, kind of.

Kneel B4 Zod 04-11-2007 12:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

that is obv. and not even close.

however, the radio station fight is one of the highlites of anchorman, while the naked hotel room fight was the worst 'known' funny scene in Borat imho. it was just dumb shock comedy.

Dids 04-11-2007 12:22 PM

That's my beef with Borat. I expected something pretty cerebral and instead it was really low-brow.

samjjones 04-11-2007 12:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps on replay value. But I don't think I have ever laughed harder in a theater when seeing the latter for the first time.

samjjones 04-11-2007 12:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That's my beef with Borat. I expected something pretty cerebral and instead it was really low-brow.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dids - I thought the bed and breakfast sequence was very layered.

miajag 04-11-2007 12:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Borat hands down, what in Anchorman in funnier than the naked hotel room fight?

[/ QUOTE ]

Lots of things, if you're older than 12.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed Borat quite a bit, but as others have pointed out, it's just shock comedy that gets old after a while.

Alobar 04-11-2007 12:32 PM

Just like every other will ferrell movie ever made, anchor man sucked. So Borat in a landslide

tuq 04-11-2007 12:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Anchorman >>> Borat

[/ QUOTE ]
You've lost your mind. Maybe you left it in the bathroom on your way to lunch.

TheDudeAbides 04-11-2007 12:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know about that. On the surface Borat seems like one long running gag, but I think it's more than that. The movie (and the show) really draws on people's ignorance and makes quite a statement about the American people in general (see: scene in RV with college kids, conversation with rodeo boss, etc).

Aloysius 04-11-2007 12:38 PM

I think there should be an "Anchorman on 1st viewing" and "Anchorman on 2nd viewing" option (it was maybe 10x funnier when I caught it again on HBO).

Still, I'm surprised by the poll results so far (30-21). I just assumed Borat in a landslide.

-Al

Dids 04-11-2007 12:40 PM

Al,

Yeah, I was lukewarm on Anchorman after the first, but on the second, it was just amazing and I've since watched it like another 10 times or something sick.

miajag 04-11-2007 12:43 PM

Yeah, I think a lot of people were so shocked and taken aback by the level of pure absurdity and silliness in Anchorman that they missed a lot of stuff on the first viewing. It definitely grew on me more over time, but the post-fight scene where they're sitting around the office discussing what happened is still the hardest I've ever laughed in a theater.

siccjay 04-11-2007 12:46 PM

For some reason Anchorman does get better and better, but I would have to watch it a billion times for it to catch Borat.

Borat is very cerebral. Much, much more than Will Ferrell.

punkass 04-11-2007 12:47 PM

I'm going to have to watch Anchorman again. It's been a while, and it seems I've been missing out.

Haven't watched Borat, and really...haven't had the urge to.

willw9 04-11-2007 12:50 PM

I honestly didn't like Borat at all, didn't finish it actually. Anchorman and its not close.

mrkilla 04-11-2007 12:50 PM

I loved Borat, but I vote anchorman solely on rewatchability. I have seen borat again and I chuckled still but not like where I can with Anchorman

casey_brick 04-11-2007 12:52 PM

Borat had me laughing from the start to the credits. I wathced some of the extars on its DVD, there's some pure gold there.

Anchorman was one of the only Will Ferrel movies I liked. Since so many think its better I'll have to give it another look.

samjjones 04-11-2007 01:02 PM

A more interesting discussion would be which is better: Borat on first viewing, or Anchorman on fifth viewing.

Your Mom 04-11-2007 01:14 PM

anchorman easily. I'm a big Ali G fan, but the movie just wasn't that good.

DeezNuts 04-11-2007 01:16 PM

Ah, a poll that really made me think. I have watched each of these movies over 10 times.

Anchorman gets better with each viewing and has a subtlety about it that gets my vote.

DN

i am run 04-11-2007 01:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Al,

Yeah, I was lukewarm on Anchorman after the first, but on the second, it was just amazing and I've since watched it like another 10 times or something sick.

[/ QUOTE ]

i felt the same.. anchorman got more funny after repeated times of watch. i find myself saying more catchphrase lines than i remember scenes from borat.

nickg1532 04-11-2007 01:20 PM

i say borat.

tuq 04-11-2007 01:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
anchorman easily. I'm a big Ali G fan, but the movie just wasn't that good.

[/ QUOTE ]

burningyen 04-11-2007 01:42 PM

Just the thought of certain scenes in Anchorman makes me laugh. Borat not so much.

Also, Christina Applegate.

Triumph36 04-11-2007 01:44 PM

it's a tough question because as many people have pointed out, borat >>>> anchorman on first viewing. i hated anchorman the first time i saw it, but i loved borat - but these reverse over time.

naked fight >>>> network fight, not even close, so i went with borat.

JaredL 04-11-2007 01:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Borat had me laughing from the start to the credits. I wathced some of the extars on its DVD, there's some pure gold there.

[/ QUOTE ]

See for me it was the opposite. Borat featured a few completely hilarious scenes that had me dying with laughter, but also a lot of downtime where I was just chuckling or waiting for the next big scene. There were a few funny bits thrown in (when he was masturbating to the mannequins with lingerie in New York or talking to the kids in Atlanta for example) but the transitions from the 6 or so hilarious scenes were just downtime for the most part. I found Anchorman to be more consistently funny.

So basically Borat had funnier parts, but Anchorman was more solid overall.

SomethingClever 04-11-2007 02:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
IMO, Anchorman >>> Borat

[/ QUOTE ]

I should be shocked, but you've desensitized me with some of your oddball opinions on female hotness before.

If you had only used one > then I think you have a defensible position (although I disagree with it). But >>>? Come on man, even you know that's just not right.

SomethingClever 04-11-2007 02:11 PM

Also, FWIW I agree with everyone who says that Anchorman appreciates over time like a fine wine.

I didn't even care for it much the first time I saw it.

But Borat? I nearly injured myself I was laughing so hard. Also, if you think it's lowbrow, you're missing part of the point. I think it's a pretty vicious commentary on America.

KJS 04-11-2007 02:14 PM

Borat sucked hard. That guy is an a-hole.

KJS

Dids 04-11-2007 02:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
. I think it's a pretty vicious commentary on America.

[/ QUOTE ]

Every piece of commentary is obvious and stale. There are ignorant people in the south, YOU DON'T SAY!!! (Some) Fratboys are drunk and bigoted, AMAZING!?

Jiggymike 04-11-2007 02:24 PM

An interesting comparison would be the full DVDs of both. Anchorman has that whole other feature, where they basically filmed a second movie and just released one in theatres and then the extra one on DVD. It had some really funny parts not in the original movie. For me it's gotta be Anchorman but I like them both.

tdarko 04-11-2007 02:25 PM

I am not in the loved one movie hated the other option in the "pole" camp. I f'ing love Anchorman, maybe my favorite comedy ever--that is a knee jerk comment w/o thinking about all comedies, but it is up there. I really liked Borat and understand that it is a "vicious commentary on America" and completely disagree with those that say that it is only low-brow. With that said the shock-humor did get old in some areas, it was as if at each scene I was just waiting for something over the top and when it happened I was thinking, "standard." Whereas if Borat would have shocked me and then brought me back down for awhile and then shocked me and then brought me back down for awhile instead of just putting the shock into overdrive then I think the effect would have been better. I think I was just desensitized half-way through.

Anchorman ftw.

stabn 04-11-2007 02:38 PM

When burgundy's dog is kicked over the side of the highway by jack black. rofl. Voted anchorman.