Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Politics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Don Imus (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=375342)

funkytown 04-10-2007 05:05 PM

Don Imus

What do you make of this guy? Personally, I, too, am sick and tired of all the political correctness and hyprocasy from Al Sharpton, Jesse Jackson, etc. Both are extortionists and certainly fuel the racial agenda, refusing to let it go. I have many black friends, but who is looking at color-they are my friends and they do not appreciate Sharpton or Jackson to continue to use them for their own poliltical and publicity agendas...these guys need to indeed look at the "racial slurs" coming from everywhere. But, then, America does have freedom of speech, even if it is offensive, right? Do we have this freedom for only one race, or all? Do we have this freedom to exploit others, as Jackson and Sharpton have done to their own race? Give it up, guys! Yes, Imus has consistently made fun of groups of people, no respector, as Mr. Roker has alluded to. Now, it is time for him to go? No, way! We live in America. Not another country where one cannot speak freely. You are stymying freedom of speech. It is not about YOU! It is about our freedoms. Free speech - however ugly it is - is a fundamental human right -- as you guys have expounded. Why the change in this situation? Don't watch Imus' show, as I don't but he has the right to say whatever he wants -- even if it is ugly. I don't see Mr. Jackson or Sharpton doing the good things that Imus does with sick kids? These guys are all about THEMSELVES -- they appear to be angry that they are black. Justleave the heck alone and your own prejudices to yourself, where they belong. But, then you have the freedom to express yourself, too, don't you? God bless America!

Borodog 04-10-2007 05:12 PM

Re: Don Imus

Every time Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton open their mouths to accuse someone else of racism my Ironometer(TM) blows out.

AlexM 04-10-2007 05:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Every time Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton open their mouths to accuse someone else of racism my Ironometer(TM) blows out.

[/ QUOTE ]

iron81 04-10-2007 05:27 PM

What did Imus say? No, this is not a trap.

AlexM 04-10-2007 05:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Imus called the Rutgers women's basketball team a bunch of "nappy headed hos."

Borodog 04-10-2007 05:30 PM

After the Rutgers women's basketball team lost the national championship, Imus said they were some tough looking chicks, made comments about their tatoos and cornrows and whatnot, and said something to the effect of, "Man, those are some nappy-headed hoes."

JackWhite 04-10-2007 05:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It is amazing that Al Sharpton has become an avatar of tolerance and civility. Just to recap this man's career. He was a leading participant in that Tawana Brawley hoax. Sharpton was found guilty of slander in that case. He has referred to Jews as "diamond merchants" with "the blood of innocent babies on their hands."

Protesting a Jewish owned store in Harlem he said: "We're not going to stand idly by and let a Jewish person come into black Harlem and drive black people out of business. We're going to see that this cracker suffers." A few months later four of the store's employees were shot and the place was set afire.

Can someone please explain how a man with this history is sitting in judge of anyone on matters of tolerance?

Borodog 04-10-2007 05:34 PM

Because the people he panders to are all racists themselves.

Boris 04-10-2007 05:35 PM

Give me a friggin break. Since when was this entire controversy about freedom of speech? Is Imus getting arrested? No. Is Imus being otherwise persecuted by the government? No. Is Imus a blowhard douchebag? Yes. Should Imus lose his job? Yes.

I can tell you one thing, if I started a blog or wrote a letter to the editor calling the Stanfor women's basketball team a bunch of whores there is very good chance I would lose my job. Why are you defending Imus? Do you hate black people? Do you think approve of millionaire pop culture celebrities making fun of young women who didn't do anything to get in the public spotlight other than play basketball?

AlexM 04-10-2007 05:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Can someone please explain how a man with this history is sitting in judge of anyone on matters of tolerance?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because he's got a big mouth and makes a scene at the drop of a hat.

Boris 04-10-2007 05:38 PM

Borodog give me a friggin break. Describing someone as nappyheaded is the same as saying they area black. Sure you can find an exception here or there but you're out of your mind if you think you can argue otherwise. What Imus said is that the Rutgers women's basketball team is comprised of a bunch of black prostitutes. Do you really need Jesse Jackson to tell you that this is racist?

Borodog 04-10-2007 05:41 PM

Do you often have these sorts of difficulties with reading comprehension? When did I say Imus's comments weren't racist? Where, exactly, am I defending Imus? I think he should probably be fired. Do you often accuse people of racism because they say things in plain English that you are incapable of comprehending?

Give me a friggin break. Read more carefully before you shoot your mouth off and start flinging insults.

AlexM 04-10-2007 05:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Should Imus lose his job? Yes.

[/ QUOTE ]

No.

[ QUOTE ]
Why are you defending Imus? Do you hate black people?

[/ QUOTE ]

Why aren't you defending him? Do you hate non-black people? What he said was frickin tame compared to what black people "are allowed to say." There's the real racism here.

[ QUOTE ]
Do you think approve of millionaire pop culture celebrities making fun of young women who didn't do anything to get in the public spotlight other than play basketball?

[/ QUOTE ]

Approval is not relevant.

AlexM 04-10-2007 06:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Borodog give me a friggin break. Describing someone as nappyheaded is the same as saying they area black. Sure you can find an exception here or there but you're out of your mind if you think you can argue otherwise. What Imus said is that the Rutgers women's basketball team is comprised of a bunch of black prostitutes. Do you really need Jesse Jackson to tell you that this is racist?

[/ QUOTE ]

So rappers are racists?

Boris 04-10-2007 06:04 PM

Borodog - Since Jackson and Sharpton are pretty much non-entities in this entire affair it struck me as odd that you would jump in with the non-sequitor about Sharpton when the OP in this thread seemed to be about poor Don Imus having his freedom of speech trampled. The OP pretty clearly has some racist feelings. I have to agree that my comments towards you certainly did, in an indirect way, imply you shared some those same racist sentiments and for this I apologize. Or should I apologize? Maybe you are a racist. I mean nowhere in this thread have you said you are not a racist. Maybe you think Imus should be fired for kowtowing to the liberal media and not for the comments re. the Rutgers women.

JackWhite 04-10-2007 06:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Or should I apologize? Maybe you are a racist. I mean nowhere in this thread have you said you are not a racist.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow

egocidal 04-10-2007 06:11 PM

As a public figure, he has to know that saying something like that will get him into trouble. However, with 30 plus years experience in the business, I think that for this to cost him his job is over the top. He's just like Michael Richards, trying to sound cool/funny while failing miserably. Just in a less blatant way.

Metric 04-10-2007 06:14 PM

Apparently I always come down on the wrong side of these racial blowup issues, but how does lambasting a team for tatoos, etc. using the term "nappy-headed ho's" make him a racist? He could very well be an insensitive SOB (and probably is) -- but his show, as I understand it, is basically insult comedy. Of course he's going to be throwing out stuff like this -- I really don't see how this equates to the "racial superiority" accusations people start throwing around...

NT! 04-10-2007 06:19 PM

i love how every time somebody mentions sharpton or other civil rights activists everyone's like 'these guys are such attention whores, they will go off at the drop of a hat, their arguments are ridiculous,' etc. then nobody ever quotes the supposedly ridiculous things they say. nor do they ever give citations for the quotes/stories/anecdotes they spread about them.

also, LOL at 'black people are allowed to say bad things about whites. that's the REAL problem.' that has nothing to do with what's being discussed here. it's a tactic my elementary school kids use all the time when they get caught hitting somebody. "but he hit me yesterday and the teacher did nothing about it!" so [censored] what.

hmkpoker 04-10-2007 06:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What exactly does "nappy headed" mean?

xorbie 04-10-2007 06:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Why aren't you defending him? Do you hate non-black people? What he said was frickin tame compared to what black people "are allowed to say." There's the real racism here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you think the only difference between white and black people is the color of their skin?

AlexM 04-10-2007 06:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
also, LOL at 'black people are allowed to say bad things about whites. that's the REAL problem.'

[/ QUOTE ]

Way to completely misinterpret what I said. What I actually meant was that black people are allowed to say "nappy headed ho" as much as they want and whites can't. That's blatant racism.

JackWhite 04-10-2007 06:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i love how every time somebody mentions sharpton or other civil rights activists everyone's like 'these guys are such attention whores, they will go off at the drop of a hat, their arguments are ridiculous,' etc. then nobody ever quotes the supposedly ridiculous things they say. nor do they ever give citations for the quotes/stories/anecdotes they spread about them.

[/ QUOTE ]

I quoted the ridiculous, offensive, racist, anti-semitic things Sharpton has said in my post above. What is amazing is that the mainstream media gives this man a platform to condemn the intolerance and incivility of others.

I find it amazing that people want Don Imus fired, yet give Sharpton a free pass as a far as I can tell. What Sharpton has said and done are far worse than what Imus said.

AlexM 04-10-2007 06:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you think the only difference between white and black people is the color of their skin?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.

NT! 04-10-2007 06:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
also, LOL at 'black people are allowed to say bad things about whites. that's the REAL problem.'

[/ QUOTE ]

Way to completely misinterpret what I said. What I actually said was that black people are allowed to say "nappy headed ho" as much as they want and whites can't. That's blatant racism.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not every black person thinks it's ok to call people 'nappy headed hos,' or the n-word, or bitches, and if you think that's the case, I would say that you are the person who is engaging in some pretty uncouth racial stereotyping. Unfortunately this is not at all uncommon because so many of the images of black people in the national media are of black men under the age of thirty acting like criminals, degrading women, etc.

Furthermore, even if there is a racist element to whites being discouraged from co-opting black slang, it doesn't change the content of Imus' remarks. What an appropriate response would be remains open to debate, but there was clearly a racial subtext to the demeaning humor that was being used. Your argument only seeks to deflect responsibility from the person who opened his mouth and made them.

troymclur 04-10-2007 06:38 PM

It's interesting how the definition of racism has changed over the years. I used to think it meant hatred of a specific race (or cultural group).

cpk 04-10-2007 06:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What exactly does "nappy headed" mean?

[/ QUOTE ]

"Nappy" means "closely twisted or curled," a common feature of hair on black people.

(Dictionary FTW.)

troymclur 04-10-2007 06:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Simplistic, though. Wouldn't you agree that there are patterns that follow the color of ones skin? Meaning, in isolation there is no difference between a black and white man, but in reality and across a large sample size there are significant differences that are partially caused by the color of their skin.

Metric 04-10-2007 06:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's interesting how the definition of racism has changed over the years. I used to think it meant hatred of a specific race (or cultural group).

[/ QUOTE ]
Going by this outdated definition, I suppose, is what gets me all the bizarre looks whenever I ask "how is that racist?"

NT! 04-10-2007 06:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I quoted the ridiculous, offensive, racist, anti-semitic things Sharpton has said in my post above. What is amazing is that the mainstream media gives this man a platform to condemn the intolerance and incivility of others.

I find it amazing that people want Don Imus fired, yet give Sharpton a free pass as a far as I can tell. What Sharpton has said and done are far worse than what Imus said.

[/ QUOTE ]

so link to a website or newspaper where these remarks were reported, or a source of some sort. there are a ton of apocryphal stories floating around about most public figures and until i read it in print, or see a video or something, i simply don't believe it.

anyway, it gets real old real fast when every time an issue comes up and sharpton speaks out on it, people dismiss it by saying 'sharpton's a worse racist than anything these people ever did.' it ignores the content of the situation at hand. it's a convenient way to ignore whatever problem sharpton is attacking (some of which are very serious) by attacking him instead.

it's also entirely possible for people to change over time. malcolm x used to be a tremendously racist person, and he began to change his tune late in life.

AlexM 04-10-2007 06:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Way to completely misinterpret what I said. What I actually said was that black people are allowed to say "nappy headed ho" as much as they want and whites can't. That's blatant racism.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not every black person thinks it's ok to call people 'nappy headed hos,' or the n-word, or bitches, and if you think that's the case

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't, so stop making assumptions about what I'm saying and randomly insulting me.

[ QUOTE ]
Furthermore, even if there is a racist element to whites being discouraged from co-opting black slang, it doesn't change the content of Imus' remarks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. It does. I know that I personally don't have any idea that people are offended by such remarks until someone says something, so if I witness people (say rappers) saying such things and I like those people, I'm gonna say those things too.

[ QUOTE ]
What an appropriate response would be remains open to debate, but there was clearly a racial subtext to the demeaning humor that was being used.

[/ QUOTE ]

So? Racial subtext doesn't mean racist! If I say, "women have breasts," is that sexist?

Furthermore, I even question the so-called racial subtext of the statement.

AlexM 04-10-2007 06:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not hatred... belief in the inferiority of. That's what it still means.

troymclur 04-10-2007 06:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not hatred... belief in the inferiority of. That's what it still means.

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends on who you ask. Racism as it's now touted is usually bigotry or prejudice.

JackWhite 04-10-2007 06:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
so link to a website or newspaper where these remarks were reported, or a source of some sort. there are a ton of apocryphal stories floating around about most public figures and until i read it in print, or see a video or something, i simply don't believe it.

anyway, it gets real old real fast when every time an issue comes up and sharpton speaks out on it, people dismiss it by saying 'sharpton's a worse racist than anything these people ever did.' it ignores the content of the situation at hand. it's a convenient way to ignore whatever problem sharpton is attacking (some of which are very serious) by attacking him instead.

it's also entirely possible for people to change over time. malcolm x used to be a tremendously racist person, and he began to change his tune late in life.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://yidwithlid.blogspot.com/2007/...hypocrate.html

Please read this..will take 1-2 minutes, then tell me if you think Sharpton shouldn't be talked about if he is leading the anti-Imus charge.

As far as your point about deflecting attention. Well, I am still confused as to why this is such a major story (NBC nightly news led with this story for the first 10 minutes of the broadcast tonight). A morning shock jock made a stupid and insulting remark about a basketball team. He correctly has apologized. Is that really worth 10 minutes on the NBC news? Is that more important than Iraq, Iran, or host of other issues I could mention?

If every morning radio host was fired when they made a comment many would find offensive, I doubt more than 2 would still have a job.

CharlieDontSurf 04-10-2007 06:55 PM

Imus supposedly, just going off what other 2+2ers who listen to him have told me, has a back history of somewhat racist statments etc. Then he says this which is overtly racist..basically they were saying that one girls team the players were cute and pretty and the other team the girls were all manly looking and tattoed up, basically thug looking etc--those nappy headed ho's. Its obvious to anyone hearing that description that the players on the second team are black.

Then Imus basically says f-off i stand by what i said, i dont care blah blah blah..then hes like oh [censored] im gonna get fired..no no im so sorry blah blah blah..then the black people are all like we no believe ur apology..then imus is like what is it with "you people" i can't win with "you people" then the black people are like say what fool?

So Imus gets suspended.

Should he be fired? That is up to NBC or CBS or whoever and whether they decide they prefer to keep a radio host representing their company who make be racist or viewed as a racist.

Is he a complete moron--yeh.

NT! 04-10-2007 07:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't, so stop making assumptions about what I'm saying and randomly insulting me.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're usually a very reasonable poster. Cool out. This is what you said:

[ QUOTE ]
What I actually said was that black people are allowed to say "nappy headed ho" as much as they want and whites can't. That's blatant racism.

[/ QUOTE ]

By 'allowed' I assume you mean that it is considered culturally appropriate, or that a black radio DJ would not get in trouble for making the same remarks Imus did, or something along those lines. Because on a basic level anyone is 'allowed' to say that. What I am telling you is that most of the black people I know do NOT think it's ok to go around calling people nappy headed hos, or bitches or anything else. Do you ever listen to black morning shows on the radio? I used to listen to one in Albany all the time because I drove a vanload of people around who were big fans. I didn't hear anybody get called a nappy headed ho or anything else. It's not acceptable for a DJ to say what Imus did on any radio station, because the people who listen and the people who buy ads would think, "What a ridiculously hurtful and juvenile thing to say." Saying, "Black people are allowed to call people hos all they want," suggests to me that you get most of your ideas about black people and what they consider acceptable behavior from watching rap videos.

If I turn on MTV and see Johnny Cash talk about shooting people just to watch them die, or see Mick Jagger calling a woman a bitch, or see some shlocky metal band glorify beating the crap out of people, would I be correct to assume white people think it's ok to randomly murder people and call women bitches?

[ QUOTE ]
So? Racial subtext doesn't mean racist! If I say, "women have breasts," is that sexist?

[/ QUOTE ]

I very carefully chose the words 'racial subtext' instead of racist. I think Imus' remarks were racially insensitive, insofar as a reasonable person listening to the show would infer that he was talking about black women in a pointlessly juvenile and hurtful way, AND doing so using the slang of a particular ethno-cultural community which he assumed these women belonged to. In other words, a PART of what made his remarks hurtful was the way these women were called out and mocked with words that clearly designated them as black. His remarks would still have been offensive if he said they looked like a bunch of rugmunching biker bull dykes, or said they looked like a bunch of ragged hookers covered in tattoos. These remarks would carry more or less the same literal meaning as the ones he actually spoke. However, he specifically chose to use words that would cause most people listening - including ANYONE who is black - to identify race as a central characteristic of the people who were the butt of his joke.

I don't choose to use the word 'racist' because I think it's thrown around so much that it's largely meaningless these days. I think Imus is probably a racist by most folks' definition but that's not really the point. The point is that, if you really want to parse the language and look at how people react to what they hear, he placed clearly racialized descriptions at the center of a very hurtful joke. Hence I think it's totally reasonable to say there is a racial element, or subtext, to the remarks, one that probably makes them more hurtful to the people they were aimed at and more offensive to many people that heard them.

bkholdem 04-10-2007 07:18 PM

I think it is silly that people are fussing over this. I didn't hear his comments or hear the context so my view may be modified if I hear the commentary from him but...

I heard it being talked about on the radio this morning and heard, what were to me, a few important points.

Imus is a comedian (a sucky one i think but not a straight news man) and comments from comedians should not be taken as seriously as from news people or professional people

He said 'nappy headed hoe' and this comment is rediculous, if he characterised someone as 'nappy headed congressman' or 'nappy headed lawyer' or nappy headed guy running for president... it would be very very different. That would be a mean spirited insult.

Because of the rediculousness of the phrase 'nappy headed hoe' from a comedian it should not be getting the attention it is.

Utah 04-10-2007 07:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"Nappy" means "closely twisted or curled," a common feature of hair on black people.

[/ QUOTE ]Why is that racist though? Would it be racist to refer to a bunch of white women as blond bimbos?

His comments were crude, but I don't see why they are racist, especially since he called the girls on the other team, who are also black, cute. Can you not call a woman ugly if she is black?

xorbie 04-10-2007 07:22 PM

I need to get an NT is right gimmick account.

bkholdem 04-10-2007 07:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not up on the news and don't follow the news but remember him being criticized for his involvement here. Maybe someone with more of an interest can do a google of sharpton and brawley and come up with some of the specifics:

In the Tawana Brawley case, a 15-year-old black girl was found smeared with feces, lying in a garbage bag, her clothing torn and burned and with various slurs and epithets written on her body in charcoal. Brawley claimed that she had been assaulted and raped by six white men, some of them police officers, in the town of Wappingers Falls, New York.

Alton H. Maddox, C. Vernon Mason joined Sharpton in support of Brawley. A grand jury was convened; after seven months of examining police and medical records, the jury determined that Brawley lied about being assaulted by the police. Sharpton, Maddox and Mason were later successfully sued for statements made in connection with the case, and ordered to pay $345,000 in damages. All three falsely accused the case prosecutor, Steven Pagones, as being among those who abducted and raped Brawley.[6]The jury found Sharpton liable for making seven defamatory statements about Pagones, Maddox for two and Mason for one. [7]

The above was from wikipedia. I got curios and did a little google and this was on a top ten hit:

1987: Sharpton spreads the incendiary Tawana Brawley hoax, insisting heatedly that a 15-year-old black girl was abducted, raped, and smeared with feces by a group of white men. He singles out Steve Pagones, a young prosecutor. Pagones is wholly innocent -- the crime never occurred -- but Sharpton taunts him: "If we're lying, sue us, so we can . . . prove you did it." Pagones does sue, and eventually wins a $345,000 verdict for defamation. To this day, Sharpton refuses to recant his unspeakable slander or to apologize for his role in the odious affair.

1991: A Hasidic Jewish driver in Brooklyn's Crown Heights section accidentally kills Gavin Cato, a 7-year-old black child, and antisemitic riots erupt. Sharpton races to pour gasoline on the fire. At Gavin's funeral he rails against the "diamond merchants" -- code for Jews -- with "the blood of innocent babies" on their hands. He mobilizes hundreds of demonstrators to march through the Jewish neighborhood, chanting, "No justice, no peace." A rabbinical student, Yankel Rosenbaum, is surrounded by a mob shouting "Kill the Jews!" and stabbed to death.

1995: When the United House of Prayer, a large black landlord in Harlem, raises the rent on Freddy's Fashion Mart, Freddy's white Jewish owner is forced to raise the rent on his subtenant, a black-owned music store. A landlord-tenant dispute ensues; Sharpton uses it to incite racial hatred. "We will not stand by," he warns malignantly, "and allow them to move this brother so that some white interloper can expand his business." Sharpton's National Action Network sets up picket lines; customers going into Freddy's are spat on and cursed as "traitors" and "Uncle Toms." Some protesters shout, "Burn down the Jew store!" and simulate striking a match. "We're going to see that this cracker suffers," says Sharpton's colleague Morris Powell. On Dec. 8, one of the protesters bursts into Freddy's, shoots four employees point-blank, then sets the store on fire. Seven employees die in the inferno.

lolsharptonaments