Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Business, Finance, and Investing (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   how to exploit the coming apocalypse? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=369423)

fraac 04-01-2007 02:40 PM

how to exploit the coming apocalypse?

With everyone in denial about the current rapid climate change, there must be a big edge for investors somewhere. All I can think of is roofs being damaged by freakish winds and insurance costs rising. I suppose the fear-based markets will continue to grow: weaponry and armour, both physical and mental, and I'll seriously ponder what that implies before settling on a portfolio, but mostly I'm looking for the little things that mean nothing now but will suddenly become huge when people's minds reach various tipping points of realisation. Think for me, bagpuss.

latefordinner 04-01-2007 03:19 PM

Re: how to exploit the coming apocalypse?

I have been thinking about putting together "an investment guide for the end-of-the-worlder" mostly focused on peak oil and major economic contractions, but some climate change stuff too. maybe i'll get on that.

pologuy64 04-01-2007 03:33 PM

so if the world end, who in the hell needs investments any ways. I dont think they will do anygood

SMB 04-01-2007 06:02 PM

go bear

cbloom 04-01-2007 06:20 PM

Buy lots of real estate one row behind beach-front.

James282 04-01-2007 07:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Buy lots of real estate one row behind beach-front.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol i like it.

James

SlowHabit 04-01-2007 09:13 PM

If Warren Buffett can't predict the climate, no one can.

w_gibbs 04-01-2007 09:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
With everyone in denial about the current rapid climate change, there must be a big edge for investors somewhere. All I can think of is roofs being damaged by freakish winds and insurance costs rising. I suppose the fear-based markets will continue to grow: weaponry and armour, both physical and mental, and I'll seriously ponder what that implies before settling on a portfolio, but mostly I'm looking for the little things that mean nothing now but will suddenly become huge when people's minds reach various tipping points of realisation. Think for me, bagpuss.

[/ QUOTE ]

Invest in these?

http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.c...9_16949439.gif

fraac 04-01-2007 10:15 PM

Drugs, therapists, strange hobbies, I thought. Emotional shielding.

missmisery 04-01-2007 10:50 PM

Investing based on apocalypse scenarios does not make a lot of sense to me. Global warming is a concern but the end of the world is no where near us. I believe you should instead take a look at what will people do to stop global warming. Any "clean technology" could be interesting. For example, a company named CO2 solution is working on a biological process that will transform CO2 in something safer for the environment. This is the kind of companies I would look into in your case.

You could also invest in uranium as nuclear energy appears to be a partial solution to the climate change and a lot of countries have started to realize that.

eastbay 04-01-2007 11:38 PM

Sandwich board sign makers?

http://www.salagram.net/end1.jpg

eastbay

Shoe 04-01-2007 11:39 PM

Buy a really comfortable coffin now. The price of these are going to skyrocket!

pig4bill 04-02-2007 01:47 AM

The first thing some of you should research is climate change.

As for investing in companies that will help stop global warming, until somebody invents a way to stop sunspots, nobody is going to slow down global warming.

cbloom 04-02-2007 01:49 AM

Oh, also short anything in the Maldives. Those guys are [censored].

scott1 04-02-2007 11:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Oh, also short anything in the Maldives. Those guys are [censored].

[/ QUOTE ]

and long the Dutch. Experts at keeping water out.

r3vbr 04-02-2007 11:36 AM

1)Go bullish on everything
2)collect dividends
3)with dividend money, start buying guns and canned food
4)build basement bunker

win-win situation.. if apocalypse doesnt come, then you made bullish calls and got capital gains, if it does, then money is useless, and most valuable assets become a shotgun, a water purifier and SPAM.

See also:
portable generator, rechargable flashlight, radio, antibiotics, compass, pocketknife, gold bullion

smartalecc5 04-02-2007 08:12 PM

KI nuke pills too?

Eder 04-02-2007 11:43 PM

Invest in ozone atmospheric replenishment technologies...err wait...that was the 90's...

fraac 07-05-2007 11:59 PM

Long cockroaches.

bigboy5540 07-06-2007 01:23 AM

all, if the end of the world were to come who cares about investments.

iSTRONG 07-06-2007 09:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Long cockroaches.

[/ QUOTE ]

i lol'ed

Badger 07-06-2007 02:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
all, if the end of the world were to come who cares about investments.

[/ QUOTE ]
It's people like you thinking like this that are really going to miss the boat on some prime investment ideas.

Seriously though, this is addressing not an end of the world apocalypse, but more of a degradation of society. I'll break it down into a spectrum of possible outcomes to clarify what we're talking about here.

Mild Climate Change
If this is your predicted outcome you're going to want to be looking at real estate 5-10 feet above sea level and regions where cold climates are prohibitive to booming property values. I think investing in insurance as has been mentioned is a bad idea, as natural disaster costs will raise faster than people will be willing to increase insurance premiums. Insurance providers are going broke. Heavy duty construction and construction over open water are going to be hot. Think Water World, but not quite as bleak and no Kevin Costner. Maybe invest in houseboat manufacturing.

Collapse of Society
Money now is worth more than money later, but guns now (and later) will be worth more than money later. Stock up. r3vbr did a decent job of describing some of the basic diversification you'll want on post-apocalyptic consumer goods. He didn't clarify you'll want short wave, or 'ham' radios, not a nice boom box for easy listening, although this isn't a bad idea either. If you don't believe me go see Die Hard 4 or Transformers for a detailed analysis.

kaboom! End of the world
This one's easy. Hookers and blow. Racking up credit card debt isn't a bad idea either.

It's cases 1 and 2 that we're talking about. And more so 1 than 2, as 2 has been fairly well documented and thought out by Hollywood, conspiracy theorists and religious nutjobs. Scenario 1 is where there should be some easy money to be made.

fraac 07-06-2007 03:45 PM

THANK YOU. That is what I was getting at.

Already in the UK there are only two types of weather: storm on / storm off. I remember proper seasons and snow that lay.

solucky 07-06-2007 05:38 PM

you might be a bit late, in europe this is gone look at sample for "nordex" or "solarworld" also "phoenix sonnenstrom" made 1000 to 4000% last 2-5 years.

bigboy5540 07-06-2007 07:01 PM

credit card debt to the max