Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Chocolate Jesus anyone? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=367972)

Wynton 03-30-2007 02:31 PM

Chocolate Jesus anyone?

The NY Daily News reports here that an artist outraged Catholics with plans to display a nude 6-foot chocolate Jesus during Holy Week.

"It's an all-out war on Christianity," fumed the president of the Catholic League for Religious and Civil Rights.

According to the article, more people were offended by the nudity than the chocolate.

So my question is the following: do you, the good people of OOT and purveyors of "good taste" (pun intended), consider the materials or the nudity more offensive?

guids 03-30-2007 02:33 PM

Re: Chocolate Jesus anyone?

No one on this forum is going to find either one (the medium or the nudity) offensive, it just isnt cool to do so. They would if it was Mohammad though.

Wynton 03-30-2007 02:38 PM

Actually, my question was poorly phrased: I meant to ask what OOT would believe most Christians would consider to be the more offensive aspect of the display.

And while we're at it, would the answer be different if we were talking about Muslims' reactions to a chocolate, nude Mohammad?

kidcolin 03-30-2007 02:40 PM

I'm not Christian, thus not offended, but I think it's sad what passes for "art" these days.

guids 03-30-2007 02:40 PM

I think the chocolate aspect?? I have no idea really. For the record, Im not offended, I think stunts like this are pretty dumb. I just dont get art for controversies sake.

RoundGuy 03-30-2007 02:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
And while we're at it, would the answer be different if we were talking about Muslims' reactions to a chocolate, nude Mohammad?

[/ QUOTE ]
Muslims would suicide bomb you for this -- Christians just bitch about it.

cbloom 03-30-2007 02:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Actually, my question was poorly phrased: I meant to ask what OOT would believe most Christians would consider to be the more offensive aspect of the display.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, seeing as how any depiction of Mohammad AT ALL is blasphemous, I think they'd be kind of upset about it. Christians sort of invite more Christ-mockery because they themselves make so many silly effigies and representations of an idealized Christ figure.

Anyway, it's clearly offensive - it's *intended* to be offensive. Whether a piece of art has merit just based on being offensive is open to debate. Certainly much of modern art is based solely on shock.

TheMainEvent 03-30-2007 02:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No one on this forum is going to find either one (the medium or the nudity) offensive, it just isnt cool to do so. They would if it was Mohammad though.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's because he's, you know...man with chocolate face?

guids 03-30-2007 02:50 PM

It is not intended to be offensive according to the article.

tuq 03-30-2007 02:58 PM

I wonder how big they made his chocolate penis. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

DrewDevil 03-30-2007 03:00 PM

"TAKE A BITE OF CHRIST $1"

kidcolin 03-30-2007 03:00 PM

I saw a picture of ChocoJesus a couple days ago.. looked pretty average. Black dudes everywhere are offended.

link

also: about the artist, Cosimo Cavallaro. According to the NY Post: "Although Cavallaro has work in permanent collections of museums world-wide, he is best remembered for covering a New York City hotel room in melted cheese (1999)."

durron597 03-30-2007 03:01 PM

how is this offensive, don't catholics eat the blood and flesh of christ once a week?

Los Feliz Slim 03-30-2007 03:02 PM

Dark or milk chocolate?

DrewDevil 03-30-2007 03:05 PM

Now, if the artist had given Christ a huge hard-on with milk spurting out of it, that might have caused more controversy.

tuq 03-30-2007 03:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Now, if the artist had given Christ a huge hard-on with milk spurting out of it, that might have caused more controversy.

[/ QUOTE ]
They could rename it "Chocolate Shawn Kemp" and it would make sense.

Also, for some reason I have a Lou Rawls song stuck in my head because of this thread.

RoundGuy 03-30-2007 03:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Now, if the artist had given Christ a huge hard-on with Mary Magdalene by his side, that might have caused more controversy.

[/ QUOTE ]

bottomset 03-30-2007 03:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"TAKE A BITE OF CHRIST $1"

[/ QUOTE ]

sacralicious

http://www.paleocurrents.com/img/homer_drool.JPG

Klompy 03-30-2007 03:30 PM

I think it's in poor taste, and think whoever is making this is a punk just looking to get some attention for "being edgy". That said, it doesn't really offend me and I'm a christian.

Jack of Arcades 03-30-2007 03:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you enjoy being the Bill O'Reilly of 2p2?

guids 03-30-2007 03:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I dont. But Im also right.

cardcounter0 03-30-2007 03:34 PM

Is it dark chocolate or white chocolate?

CharlieDontSurf 03-30-2007 03:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Muslims would suicide bomb you for this -- Christians just bitch about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

They should get some balls and really go for it by making a choclate sculpture of Jesus giving it to Mohamadd in the ass. I'm sure that might make headlines.

bottomset 03-30-2007 03:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

are you saying people would find the medium or nudity offensive if it was Mohammad, or that people would think its cool if it was Mohammad?

gisb0rne 03-30-2007 03:38 PM

So who here would eat the penis of Chocolate Jesus?

RayPowers 03-30-2007 03:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So who here would eat the penis of Chocolate Jesus?

[/ QUOTE ]

Crimson Challenge?

Ray

JasonK 03-30-2007 03:41 PM

But does he have a creamy nugget center?

Jack of Arcades 03-30-2007 03:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The consensus in the South Park episode about this and the Denmark cartoon was "why would anyone get offended by this?"

guids 03-30-2007 03:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

are you saying people would find the medium or nudity offensive if it was Mohammad, or that people would think its cool if it was Mohammad?

[/ QUOTE ]

There isnt going to be any outrage from most people on 2p2/younge college kids/artists etc since the statue is of jesus, there would be no art show if the statue was of mohammad.

TheMainEvent 03-30-2007 03:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There isnt going to be any outrage from most people on 2p2/younge college kids/artists etc since the statue is of jesus, there would be no art show if the statue was of mohammad.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, but only because people like their galleries unexploded.

bottomset 03-30-2007 03:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
there would be no art show if the statue was of mohammad.

[/ QUOTE ]

because of muslim reactions, not because of 2+2/younge college kids/artists objections to it

DrewDevil 03-30-2007 03:51 PM

Muslims are annoying.

gisb0rne 03-30-2007 03:52 PM

He should have done Jesus, Mohammed, and George Washington cuddling in a bed together under american flag covers. That would be sure to offend everyone.

guids 03-30-2007 03:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
there would be no art show if the statue was of mohammad.

[/ QUOTE ]

because of muslim reactions, not because of 2+2/younge college kids/artists objections to it

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the opposite really, I dont think a muslim, in America, at least would bomb the place like everyone is saying, I personally dont believe that there are that many radicals here. I do believe that there would be an outcry from muslim leaders that the people who run the show would bow to, becuase it is teh PC and "in" thing to do right now.

TheMainEvent 03-30-2007 03:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

In all seriousness I know that you're an expert on how people you barely know would react to hypothetical situations, but I really think you've misjudged 2+2 here. I doubt very many here would get substantially offended by anything some joker puts in an art exhibit.

Wynton 03-30-2007 03:58 PM

Actually, it would be a good challenge to find anything to offend OOT.

KidLifeCrisis 03-30-2007 03:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Dark or milk chocolate?

[/ QUOTE ]
Dark. (RTFA)

guids 03-30-2007 04:01 PM

I agree with that, offend is a bad word for it, not wanting to seem "uncool" by not following the jesus/chirstian haters is better.

gisb0rne 03-30-2007 04:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Chocolate Scarlett Johansson with hairy armpits obviously.

KidLifeCrisis 03-30-2007 04:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Chocolate Scarlett Johansson with hairy armpits obviously.

[/ QUOTE ]
Dark or milk chocolate?