Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sports Betting (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   Masters Futures (Golf) (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=365153)

henrix77 03-27-2007 06:47 AM

Masters Futures (Golf)

Hey guys,

WSEX has Tiger at 37/40 right now...I'm relatively new to this, but wouldn't there be HUGE value right now in shorting this? This almost seems too good to be true.

And yes, I know it's Tiger. Yes, I know his record at the Masters. But, I don't know how one golfer can represent 40% of the market right now. Discuss.

NajdorfDefense 03-27-2007 10:25 AM

Re: Masters Futures (Golf)

That's the market price, seems right to me. Tiger crushed Doral last week. He'll end up winning Augusta more than any other pro in history. It suits his game pretty well.

henrix77 03-27-2007 10:37 AM

While I understand that he won last week (I disagree that he "crushed" it, he shot over par in the final round, and only won by 2 strokes), my contention is that in a field of 100-110 golfers (I believe this is what will start at Augusta this year), there's NO WAY you can give him 40% market value.

Is he the favorite? Sure. I'm just saying there's value there. Anyone else?

4Tay 03-27-2007 10:41 AM

Tiger's a beast. I wouldn't short Tiger, especially not at Augusta.

In his last 10 PGA starts, he won 8 times. That's an 80% win rate.

JupiterUWG 03-27-2007 11:33 AM

tiger is 7 to 5 at VIP....I'd say he's at least 50/50 to win....sounds ridiculous tho

coolmoedee 03-27-2007 11:39 AM

I think he is overpriced as well. He is the favorite, but Els, VJ, Sergio, and others are actually playing well right now, and then who knows what mickelson will do. There is no way he should be that favorite when you think about all the possibilities of other golfers having the tourney of their life, or close to it. I always throw 50 on tiger and then put 10 bucks on 6 other guys. If tiger win, you break even, if one of the other guys win, your up 100+

rush66 03-27-2007 11:49 AM

My buddy made me a bet straight up risking 100 to win 100 that phil would finish better than tiger (I have tiger). Anyone else think he is retarded? Does anyone know something I dont?

Clarkmeister 03-27-2007 12:07 PM

There are two pretty attractive lines here in town.

Tiger +175 to win the masters seems good. Also, Phil at +300 to win at least one major this year also seems like good value.

coolmoedee 03-27-2007 12:32 PM

I would bet your friend as much as you can. There is maybe a 1% chance Mickelson finishes better than Tiger...can I bet him too?

whipsaw 03-27-2007 01:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would bet your friend as much as you can. There is maybe a 1% chance Mickelson finishes better than Tiger...can I bet him too?

[/ QUOTE ]

1%?

funkytown 03-27-2007 01:23 PM

To bet against Tiger Woods in any game since he got his old swing coach back is a recipe for disaster. ERvery other golfer in the world gets knock-kneed and collapses when he starts to move up on the leaderboard. This kid has such a huge psychological edge over his opponents and all sports are 90% mental. I will continue to bet Tiger Woods at even numbers and it'll continue to be a profitable venture for me.

rdh009 03-27-2007 02:06 PM

Is there any way i can take 50% equity on the field?

JupiterUWG 03-27-2007 02:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i wouldnt say 1 percent, but i'd bet tiger at 2 to 1 at least (maybe 3 to 1) vs phil this week....if he's giving you 1 to 1, hop on for max

NajdorfDefense 03-27-2007 04:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
To bet against Tiger Woods in any game since he got his old swing coach back is a recipe for disaster. ERvery other golfer in the world gets knock-kneed and collapses when he starts to move up on the leaderboard.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is 100% false, he's never come from behind on the final day of a Major, not ever.

It's when Tiger has a 3-shot lead going into the final day and the next 9 guys know they may have to shoot a 65 on Sunday at Augusta to pass him - they either flame out or just try to hold on for second.

stinkypete 03-27-2007 04:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

but he's 1 for 3 in his last 3, and just hasn't been all that impressive this year.

JupiterUWG 03-27-2007 05:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

but he's 1 for 3 in his last 3, and just hasn't been all that impressive this year.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol "not that impressive"

stinkypete 03-27-2007 05:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

okay, my bad. i should have said "not impressive at all" considering his finish last year.

JupiterUWG 03-27-2007 05:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

okay, my bad. i should have said "not impressive at all" considering his finish last year.

[/ QUOTE ]

idiotic...you ever watched tiger? ever looked at his stats? both career and lately?

whipsaw 03-27-2007 05:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

idiotic...you ever watched tiger? ever looked at his stats? both career and lately?

[/ QUOTE ]

his last four starts, I'd take it:

Jan 25 - 28 Buick Invitational (PGA) 66-72-69-66 15-under $936,000 1st
Feb 21 - 25 WGC-Accenture Match Play Championship (PGA) - - $130,000 T9th
Mar 15 - 18 Arnold Palmer Invitational (PGA) 64-73-70-76 3-over $51,058 T22nd
Mar 22 - 25 WGC-CA Championship (PGA) 71-66-68-73 10-under $1,350,000 1st

TripleH68 03-27-2007 11:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Tiger has won 3 of his last 6 at the Masters. When you think about golf the odds seem unreasonable, but Tiger has changed everything. 7:5 sounds about right.

You can say he didn't close impressively at Doral, but that is really being nit picky.

funkytown 03-28-2007 11:09 AM

Where did I say the final day?

4Tay 03-28-2007 11:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]

You can say he didn't close impressively at Doral, but that is really being nit picky.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tiger could've closed impressively at Doral if he wanted to, at least the old Tiger would. But the more mature Tiger would rather lay up for the win, rather than pull a Phil Mickelson (a la US Open), especially with his history with the Blue Monster.

droopy0021 03-28-2007 12:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
To bet against Tiger Woods in any game since he got his old swing coach back is a recipe for disaster. ERvery other golfer in the world gets knock-kneed and collapses when he starts to move up on the leaderboard.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is 100% false, he's never come from behind on the final day of a Major, not ever.

It's when Tiger has a 3-shot lead going into the final day and the next 9 guys know they may have to shoot a 65 on Sunday at Augusta to pass him - they either flame out or just try to hold on for second.

[/ QUOTE ]

The field doesn't wait until Sunday to lose their lunch and have wobbly legs. Usually starts on Friday or Saturday.

droopy0021 03-28-2007 12:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ahh, stinkypete, he of "Phil Ivey could beat Corey Pavin convincingly scrambling with 2 tries per shot" fame.

stinkypete 03-28-2007 04:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ahh, stinkypete, he of "Phil Ivey could beat Corey Pavin convincingly scrambling with 2 tries per shot" fame.

[/ QUOTE ]

a) your reading comprehension is severely lacking if you think i ever said anything to that effect
b) you guys are all retarded if you're suddenly impressed by a 1 for 3 performance from a guy who won 8 in a row immediately preceding that.

whipsaw 03-28-2007 05:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

a) your reading comprehension is severely lacking if you think i ever said anything to that effect
b) you guys are all retarded if you're suddenly impressed by a 1 for 3 performance from a guy who won 8 in a row immediately preceding that.

[/ QUOTE ]

is your avril hand brown yet from not washing it?

NajdorfDefense 04-02-2007 07:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The field doesn't wait until Sunday to lose their lunch and have wobbly legs. Usually starts on Friday or Saturday.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL, right it's not Augusta that gives them issues, especially the porcelain putting greens, it's OHMYGOD TIGER WOODS that makes them play bad.

henrix77 04-06-2007 03:01 PM

Bumpity bump...

Anyone know why the market is paused at WSEX right now?

WSEX GM 04-06-2007 04:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Bumpity bump...

Anyone know why the market is paused at WSEX right now?

[/ QUOTE ]

TV coverage didn't start until 4 PM today.

Fred

henrix77 04-06-2007 11:57 PM

I guess that's kind of my point...keeping the markets closed until TV coverage starts is pretty pointless considering the day's round is about 1/2 over by that point. Tiger was already on 16 when TV coverage started, and the line jumped from 36/40 to as low as 13/17 for a brief period.

It's easy to monitor player's progress through various internet outlets, why close the market at all when they are playing?

brendanb438 04-06-2007 11:59 PM

WSEX's markets are pure shiat for Golf. Don't play them unless your are content with being able to only buy and sell pretty much before or after a round of play.

-Brendan