Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Joe Theismann Out, Ron Jaworski In? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=364352)

Jack of Arcades 03-26-2007 10:03 AM

Joe Theismann Out, Ron Jaworski In?

Theismann out has been confirmed by just about every majors news source, but was broken by PFT. Per PFT, Jaworski is the "likely" replacement.

This is great news. The next thing that needs to be done is to replace Kornheiser. Suggestions? Vermeil, Faulk, and Deion Sanders would work.

SL__72 03-26-2007 10:11 AM

Re: Joe Theismann Out, Ron Jaworski In?

No way Vermeil is happening... Jaws + Vermeil would be too good, they'd never do that.

Kneel B4 Zod 03-26-2007 10:13 AM

[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Jaws

from watching "Americas Game: The Superbowl" I saw/heard a bunch of ex players and coaches who were interesting to talk to and provided a cool perspective. Granted, live TV is different, but there are a lot of lesser known choices out there I think.

Soul Daddy 03-26-2007 10:23 AM

I love the analysis that Jaws spews, but find him to be among the more annoying personalities in the world. I suppose it's a worthy trade-off and an infinite upgrade over Theismann.

[ QUOTE ]
Per a source with knowledge of the in-house dynamics at ESPN, Theismann and Tony Kornheiser didn't mix well, and there's a school of thought that Kornheiser would be better without having to worry about tiptoeing on eggshells with Theismann.

[/ QUOTE ]
That PFT quote makes a Kornheiser exit seem unlikely.

ThaSaltCracka 03-26-2007 10:59 AM

Tirico, Kornheiser, and Jaws is a good combo.

Case Closed 03-26-2007 11:03 AM

Wow, I'll take this as an amazing birthday present if it's true. Theismann is the worst.

Eagles 03-26-2007 11:43 AM

I just read the title and I'm very excited.

Triumph36 03-26-2007 11:44 AM

I will miss the awkwardness between Kornheiser and Theismann - Theismann was clearly a guy who couldn't take a joke, and Kornheiser went overboard with the 'you're a dumb jock' stuff.

But I won't miss Theismann's idiotic commentary.

.Alex. 03-26-2007 11:48 AM

I don't have a problem and am not suprised about them giving Kornheiser another shot. The difference between him on PTI and MNF was incredible. They have to figure he'll improve significantly once he gains more experience with the role, especially now that he'll be doing it with Jaws, someone who it seems he gets along with really well. I'm really excited about this.

DrewDevil 03-26-2007 12:32 PM

Jaws is the best football analyst I've ever heard, so this is welcome news. I think they could ditch Kornheiser and just go with a 2-man booth and it would be pretty great.

PITTM 03-26-2007 12:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I just read the title and I'm very excited.

[/ QUOTE ]

PokerFink 03-26-2007 12:38 PM

OMGOMGOMGOMGOGOGMGOMGOGMOGGOMGOMGOGGMGOGMOGMG.

I'm so happy.

ESPN Linky: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2812834

xJames2112 03-26-2007 12:41 PM

Wow first they show Michael Irvin the door and now Jaws is in the Monday night booth. Now replace Kornheiser with Vermeil and ESPN would complete their hat trick.

Dids 03-26-2007 01:06 PM

YESYSYSEYEYSEYSEYSEYSSYYEYESYESEYSEYSEYSEYESYESYES EY

YAY

HAPPY.

WOOOOOOOOOOT.

WayAbvPar 03-26-2007 01:08 PM

Fantastic news! I am not sold on Kornheiser, but Theismann was easily the worst part of the ESPN broadcasts for the past several years.

kidcolin 03-26-2007 01:13 PM

I think by design most if not all 3-man booths suck. Just trop drop Tony and roll with it.

TheRover 03-26-2007 01:14 PM

awesome.

Dids 03-26-2007 01:24 PM

Tony's not great, but he asks decent questions, and Ron is VERY good at answering them. I think this will work well.

WayAbvPar 03-26-2007 01:28 PM

I actually prefer 3 man booths, especially when a game gets out of hand or is just boring. I liked Gifford/Cosell/Meredith back in the day on MNF, and the presence of Patrick and Maguire made Theismann more tolerable. Tirico and Kornheiser didn't do as much to mitigate Theismann's natural doucheiness; that coupled with the rave reviews of Jaworski after the first game last season made this move happen.

samjjones 03-26-2007 01:53 PM

Jaws not only is a good analyst, but he actually has a sense of humor, which Theismann is sorely lacking.

TheNoodleMan 03-26-2007 01:57 PM

Hi Joe, meet LT

I mean, if we are gonna have a hate fest lets do it right.

Suigin406 03-26-2007 02:10 PM

good news, jaws will improve this a lot...

Boris 03-26-2007 02:15 PM

I'll be the lone dissenter here. I liked Theismann. Kornheiser basically makes MNF unwatchable for me. He is that big of a douchebag.

kidcolin 03-26-2007 02:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I actually prefer 3 man booths, especially when a game gets out of hand or is just boring. I liked Gifford/Cosell/Meredith back in the day on MNF, and the presence of Patrick and Maguire made Theismann more tolerable. Tirico and Kornheiser didn't do as much to mitigate Theismann's natural doucheiness; that coupled with the rave reviews of Jaworski after the first game last season made this move happen.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your first trio is legit. Your second point doesn't favor a trio, it's just about how douchey Theismann was. The thing with a 3-man booth is that chemistry is so important. It takes a really strong dynamic to work. Otherwise it's too many cooks in the kitchen. The Gifford/Cossell/Meredith booth set such a precedent that MNF keeps going for a 3 man booth, when really a solid 2 man booth is probably a better option.

If they got Vermeill instead of Kornheiser, I think it'd work as a 3 man booth. Tony as the 3rd guy is just useless.

My main point is my wish that the 3 man booth trend will slow down. MNF has a precedent, so whatever with them, but look at the other sports. Baseball playoffs, NBA playoffs; all about the 3 man booths. Already ESPN covers basketball games with a 3 man booth of Tirico, Walton, and Barry. Barry is just AWFUL in these broadcasts. Really bad. Compare that to TNTs broadcast team of Albert and Kerr, which is awesome. They'll sometimes go 3-deep by adding Doug Collins, who fits in fine. Their second broadcast team is Harlan and Collins, another good duo. When Reggie Miller sits in as a 3rd it weakens it, but luckily Miller knows when to keep quiet, so it's OK.

g-bebe 03-26-2007 04:04 PM

Theismann's boring and Jaworski is a great replacement. Kornheiser is great and will be much more enjoyable in a MNF role if Jaws is there, even to those who think he's no good.

The real problem here is that some of these posters are probably doing fist-pumps at their PC when they read this. You sad, sad human beings.

Assani Fisher 03-26-2007 04:10 PM

Am I the only one that doesn't care about the broadcasters at all? I mean, sure they say stupid stuff every now and then, but its tough to talk for 3 hours straight without making mistakes. I've never once had my experience lessened due to a poor announcer. But I feel as if I'm probably alone on this.

Russ M. 03-26-2007 04:50 PM

Just saw link on Yahoo. This is friggin awesome, however I will miss making fun of him. As long as they don't replace Joe Morgan I guess we'll be ok.

samjjones 03-26-2007 05:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Your first trio is legit. Your second point doesn't favor a trio, it's just about how douchey Theismann was. The thing with a 3-man booth is that chemistry is so important. It takes a really strong dynamic to work. Otherwise it's too many cooks in the kitchen. The Gifford/Cossell/Meredith booth set such a precedent that MNF keeps going for a 3 man booth, when really a solid 2 man booth is probably a better option.

If they got Vermeill instead of Kornheiser, I think it'd work as a 3 man booth. Tony as the 3rd guy is just useless.

My main point is my wish that the 3 man booth trend will slow down. MNF has a precedent, so whatever with them, but look at the other sports. Baseball playoffs, NBA playoffs; all about the 3 man booths. Already ESPN covers basketball games with a 3 man booth of Tirico, Walton, and Barry. Barry is just AWFUL in these broadcasts. Really bad. Compare that to TNTs broadcast team of Albert and Kerr, which is awesome. They'll sometimes go 3-deep by adding Doug Collins, who fits in fine. Their second broadcast team is Harlan and Collins, another good duo. When Reggie Miller sits in as a 3rd it weakens it, but luckily Miller knows when to keep quiet, so it's OK.

[/ QUOTE ]

kid - MNF went to the two-man a few years ago with Al Michaels and Boomer, and it sucked. Meanwhile, CBS had an Aikman/Moose Johnston/Dick Stockton booth that was excellent.

I don't think the 3-man booth is so much the problem as is the personalities involved in it. Having two commentators with personal history (Vermeil/Jaworski, Aikman/Moose) who are friends along with a straight PBP guy is pretty informative and entertaining, IMO.

HajiShirazu 03-26-2007 06:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]

The real problem here is that some of these posters are probably doing fist-pumps at their PC when they read this. You sad, sad human beings.

[/ QUOTE ]
Guilty as charged. And I assume all other fans of tolerable football commentary did a fist pump at this news as well.

mmbt0ne 03-26-2007 06:06 PM

Hopefully these 3 can find a few days to re-announce some taped games and build a little chemistry.

kidcolin 03-26-2007 06:11 PM

sam,

Agreed. Basically it comes down to chemistry, but that's rarely how they pick it. If 3 guys gel, I'm all for it. It's just rare.

Triumph36 03-26-2007 06:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Am I the only one that doesn't care about the broadcasters at all? I mean, sure they say stupid stuff every now and then, but its tough to talk for 3 hours straight without making mistakes. I've never once had my experience lessened due to a poor announcer. But I feel as if I'm probably alone on this.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not that they make mistakes - it's that their observations are often the opposite from rational ones. Theismann is notorious for being foolish.

Dids 03-26-2007 06:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]

The real problem here is that some of these posters are probably doing fist-
pumps at their PC when they read this. You sad, sad human beings.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ummm no?

I like watching football.

I dislike it when [censored] announcing makes it harder to enjoy watching football.

No reason not to be excited by this.

PokerFink 03-26-2007 06:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF?

I enjoy watching football.

I will enjoy watching football more with Jaws instead of Theisman.

Why shoulden't I be happy?

SL__72 03-26-2007 06:55 PM

I thought it was kind of funny... I really did get excited when I saw the topic and that has to be at least a little sad. I'm OK with that though because it really is awesome news.

IggyWH 03-26-2007 08:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No way Vermeil is happening... Jaws + Vermeil would be too good, they'd never do that.

[/ QUOTE ]

That was the best booth I might have ever heard do a game. It's such a shame things didn't click in ESPN's head when they had to throw them together for that double header MNF game last season.

g-bebe 03-26-2007 09:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I'm so happy.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

YAY

HAPPY.

WOOOOOOOOOOT.

[/ QUOTE ]

Need I say more? You spelt link "<u>linky</u>".

bowens 03-26-2007 09:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I'm so happy.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

YAY

HAPPY.

WOOOOOOOOOOT.

[/ QUOTE ]

Need I say more?

[/ QUOTE ]
Please don't. Thx.

SuperUberBob 03-26-2007 09:57 PM

Jaws is by far my favorite football analyst on ESPN. He and Tony will work well with each other.

Big step in the right direction.

KilgoreTrout 03-27-2007 09:26 AM

Jaws knows his stuff, but the cadence in which he speaks bothers the stuffing out of me. Can you imagine speaking like that in real life, how foolish you would sound? Try reading this post, aloud, in the cadence Jaws uses. All the ESPN football peeps use the same cadence... reminds me of the Stern movie, where he has to learn the cadence for wNbc

scary that (a) i remember the stern movie, and (b) that I remember that part of it.

Meh. Glad JT is out. Now if we could get rid of McCarver and Morgan......