Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Video Games (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=77)
-   -   Never played a final fantasy game. crazy? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=361396)

gooooot 03-22-2007 09:24 AM

Never played a final fantasy game. crazy?

Hi all. Even though i have played many games over by life, i have never played a Final Fantasy game.

Although i do like rpg and strategy games, its just never appealed to me and now that there are like 12 of them.

would it be possible to start playin 12 without worrying about what's happened in the previous 11?

phillydilly 03-22-2007 09:58 AM

Re: Never played a final fantasy game. crazy?

[ QUOTE ]
Hi all. Even though i have played many games over by life, i have never played a Final Fantasy game.

Although i do like rpg and strategy games, its just never appealed to me and now that there are like 12 of them.

would it be possible to start playin 12 without worrying about what's happened in the previous 11?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd start with VII. One of the greatest games ever made.

WilliamLowe 03-22-2007 02:05 PM

I'd agree with playing 7, but add in 6/3 as well. With the exception of X and X-2, the games are not related though. So you can start wherever you like.

MediaPA 03-22-2007 02:08 PM

Yup, you'll miss out on some of the character/item names that get carried through the series, but it's no big deal.

I actually own VII and have never played it, my old roommate beat it though (I think). Maybe I'll go back and play it once I get back into XII (got stuck and didn't feel like using an FAQ)

Soul Daddy 03-22-2007 02:32 PM

I recently played FFVI as my first of the series. It's pretty sweet. I get the feeling I'm missing out on some references, but the story is very self-contained. I can't speak to the rest of the series, but I imagine they're all this way.

Freakin 03-22-2007 02:36 PM

I've never played one either.... [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

Jack Bando 03-22-2007 02:56 PM

Play FF6, FF7, FF Tactics, and FF Adventure for the Game Boy if you can find it.

B&O99 03-22-2007 03:10 PM

Final Fantasy is in general overrated.

FF7 is very good though.

Neil S 03-22-2007 03:47 PM

Most Final Fantasies are boring I think, and easy to miss. Final Fantasy was good, Final Fantasy V was good, and Final Fantasy XII was good so far, to me. V is probably the best.

g-bebe 03-22-2007 04:32 PM

Final Fantasy I. Must play. The rest are wannabes.

mmbt0ne 03-22-2007 04:44 PM

I've been playing 3, and it's my first one ever. Pretty good.

Soul Daddy 03-22-2007 04:48 PM

Does every numbered FF game feature random battles? While I had a blast with FF6, I got to the point where I don't think I can endure them again. I considered getting the revamped FF3 for the DS, but random battles swayed me in another direction. But I'm thinking of getting a new PS2 and want to know what to expect.

Wheatsauce 03-22-2007 05:10 PM

XII does not have random battles, the rest do (except XI, which is a MMORPG).

pokerOpus 03-22-2007 07:04 PM

To like RPGs and not have played a single FF is weird.

FF 3 and 7 are awesome as others have said.

THAY3R 03-22-2007 09:13 PM

What's the deal with Final Fantasy?

It's called FINAL Fantasy, but they come out with a new one every few years! http://www.seowebworks.com/tickets/c...feld/15989.jpg

ilya 03-22-2007 11:38 PM

If you want to try the series, play X. It still looks good and is more straightforward than XII. But there's nothing all that essential about these games; they are just standard random-battle RPGs with better-than-average stories, art design, and music.

jah7_fsu1 03-23-2007 01:20 AM

Someone likes RPG's, but hasn't played FF? How is that even possible really?

They aren't connected. Pick up 3 and 7 for sure.

Do me a favor and get FF Tactics if you can find it...you won't regret it.

lastchance 03-23-2007 02:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Does every numbered FF game feature random battles? While I had a blast with FF6, I got to the point where I don't think I can endure them again. I considered getting the revamped FF3 for the DS, but random battles swayed me in another direction. But I'm thinking of getting a new PS2 and want to know what to expect.

[/ QUOTE ]
Random battles do suck. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] (vs awesome storyline + char creation + leveling system) Chrono Trigger FTWaments.

Prodigy54321 03-23-2007 10:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]

It's called FINAL Fantasy, but they come out with a new one every few years! http://www.seowebworks.com/tickets/c...feld/15989.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

awesome.

OP: I have only played I and X...I thought FFX was amazing and would recommend it..just a beautiful game.

gharp 03-23-2007 01:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
To like RPGs and not have played a single FF is weird.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm in the same boat as OP -- I just don't think I ever owned a console that had those games since I didn't have a PS1 or PS2.

I've always planned to get around to playing them though, since you can a lot of 'em for GBA/DS now.

Freakin 03-23-2007 01:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, brilliant

gumpzilla 03-23-2007 01:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Random battles do suck. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] (vs awesome storyline + char creation + leveling system) Chrono Trigger FTWaments.

[/ QUOTE ]

Was Chrono Trigger's system really that much better than random battles? I don't remember many of those fights being particularly avoidable, so it wasn't like you could get away with not fighting.

I actually liked the system in 7th Saga a lot, where you had a crystal ball that showed you where towns and monsters were. You still tended to get sucked into encounters eventually but you could frequently dodge them if you wanted to, which was helpful in parts of the game where the monsters were just crazily difficult compared to very nearby areas. There were a lot of other problems with that game - the hours upon hours of leveling against brutal monsters who gave you less experience than monsters from the middle of the game when you get to the final dungeon being the most notable - but I did like that crystal ball.

Photoc 03-24-2007 04:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yup, you'll miss out on some of the character/item names that get carried through the series, but it's no big deal.

[/ QUOTE ]

Chocobos FTW!!!!

sally-boy 03-24-2007 07:36 AM

IMO II(IV), VII, IX and Tactics are the best, also liked III(VI), V, and X a lot. (didn't like I or VIII, haven't played the rest).

lennytheduck 03-25-2007 01:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
IMO II(IV), VII, IX and Tactics are the best, also liked III(VI), V, and X a lot. (didn't like I or VIII, haven't played the rest).

[/ QUOTE ]

I think they all have their own merits, even VIII. I liked the card game a lot in that one. III(VI) is my favorite, hands down, but VII is certainly great, IX was a nice return to the originals, and XII was a lot of fun with the ATB system.

hulk3rules 03-25-2007 02:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

As someone who has only played the earlier games, can you explain to me how the leveling system works without random battles?

Does FF7 have random or the other system?

SuperUberBob 03-25-2007 04:01 PM

Most of the FFs I played are pretty solid. Exception to the rule is FF8. X-2 isn't great plotwise, but I really like the battle system (skimpy outfits and fan service are a nice addition also).

Nez477 03-25-2007 07:29 PM

I never have understood the FF8 hatred. I for whatever reason just was really sold in the storyline, the cardgame, the music, the feel... thought it was a very solid follow up to FFVII.

Granted it's been like 4 years since I've played it, and like FFVII I have not beat it, but I got into the game almost as much as 7.

Neil S 03-25-2007 07:36 PM

If VIII is the one that starts with the play and has the card game, I think that one's better than VII. I played that one longer before I got tired of it and quit.

Vehn 03-26-2007 05:19 PM

The graphics in 7 have really not held up over time

Neil S 03-26-2007 06:17 PM

Re: random battles, I Will admit that while growing up with them they seemed natural, going back to play FF and FFV after games like Chrono Trigger, where you aren't just pulled off the map unpredictably, can get a little frustrating at times.

I don't see that as a dealbreaker, but I suppose I can see how it would be for some people.

Needle77 03-26-2007 06:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Re: random battles, I Will admit that while growing up with them they seemed natural, going back to play FF and FFV after games like Chrono Trigger, where you aren't just pulled off the map unpredictably, can get a little frustrating at times.

I don't see that as a dealbreaker, but I suppose I can see how it would be for some people.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Repel spell in Dragon Quest series.

lastchance 03-26-2007 07:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

As someone who has only played the earlier games, can you explain to me how the leveling system works without random battles?

Does FF7 have random or the other system?

[/ QUOTE ]
Same thing. Just that you get to see enemies on the map and dodge them/meet them to attack them. FF7 is random (which is what I was talking about).

Note, not random >>>>> Random. Think KOTOR, BG2, etc.

Moozh 03-26-2007 07:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I never have understood the FF8 hatred. I for whatever reason just was really sold in the storyline, the cardgame, the music, the feel... thought it was a very solid follow up to FFVII.

Granted it's been like 4 years since I've played it, and like FFVII I have not beat it, but I got into the game almost as much as 7.

[/ QUOTE ]

I cannot play FF8 because like Oblivion, it scales the levels of the monsters to match your character's levels. Thus, leveling up does absolutely nothing for you, which in my opinion completely destroys the entire concept of fighting battles.

HajiShirazu 03-26-2007 11:26 PM

The card game in VIII was awesome. I easily got more enjoyment out of the card game than the actual RPG itself. My problem with VIII was that the battles were extremely easy and boring even for a final fantasy game.

JuntMonkey 03-27-2007 10:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I cannot play FF8 because like Oblivion, it scales the levels of the monsters to match your character's levels. Thus, leveling up does absolutely nothing for you, which in my opinion completely destroys the entire concept of fighting battles.

[/ QUOTE ]

In FFVIII, blindly leveling up does not help you like it does in most other RPG's. You need to learn the junction system and use it properly. When you do, you'll trounce everybody despite them being at the same level as you.

I did not learn it until I consulted an FAQ, but I enjoyed the game a lot using the walkthrough.