Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Is there a real difference between golf balls? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=360743)

dogsballs 03-21-2007 03:41 PM

Is there a real difference between golf balls?

Went for a walk round an old golf course & found hunnerds of balls. Almost all different. Pink ones, bright green ones, but mainly all white of various brands/names (my favourites have a killer whale on one and a fishing boat on another).

Anyway, does the difference in golf ball brand/model really make a big difference in stuff like distance/trajectory/roll etc. like they suggest by the prinitng on teh balls/

guids 03-21-2007 03:44 PM

Re: Is there a real difference between golf balls?

http://thesandtrap.com/forum/archive...php/t-881.html

I think getting the model number and googling is going to be the only way to really identif what type of ball it is.

Nick B. 03-21-2007 03:45 PM

Wow.

esad 03-21-2007 04:02 PM

Yes there is a pretty big difference for good players. But, for your average weekend hacker there really isn't that much of a difference. Of course this doesn't stop the average hacker from spending $40 for a dozen balls when the $15 a dozen balls would work about the same for their game.

Black Aces 518 03-21-2007 04:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes there is a pretty big difference for good players. But, for your average weekend hacker there really isn't that much of a difference. Of course this doesn't stop the average hacker from spending $40 for a dozen balls when the $15 a dozen balls would work about the same for their game.

[/ QUOTE ]

In fact for the average hack the cheap balls are BETTER. The expensive balls spin more, which makes it more difficult to hit straight shots, but easier to curve shots and use spin. The good players can do that. The hacker just adds 10 yards of slice to his 35 yard slice drive.

I'm a hack (shoot 95-105 standard, 84 low, unlimited high), and I play about the $20 balls, b/c I hate chipping and pitching the super super cheap balls. But I'm not good enough to take advantage of the really expensive ones. Also, I lose them too fast.

AJW 03-21-2007 04:18 PM

Yes if you’re good enough to consistently hit the sweet spot not so much for the average Jo.

Hass 03-21-2007 04:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

In fact for the average hack the cheap balls are BETTER. The expensive balls spin more, which makes it more difficult to hit straight shots, but easier to curve shots and use spin. The good players can do that. The hacker just adds 10 yards of slice to his 35 yard slice drive.

I'm a hack (shoot 95-105 standard, 84 low, unlimited high), and I play about the $20 balls, b/c I hate chipping and pitching the super super cheap balls. But I'm not good enough to take advantage of the really expensive ones. Also, I lose them too fast.

[/ QUOTE ]

Try the new top flite D2 ball. They are only a buck a piece and they are softer than ProV1 or HXTour.

I saw a demo ball around Christmas time that was blank except for this: RFIDF07.

Found out later that when top flite was testing the ball they didn't was good players knowing that it was a top flite because of their reputation. It stands for "Rock Flite Is Dead For 07"

CrazyEyez 03-21-2007 04:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree to a point. I'm a total hack and I used to buy the cheap top flites. One time I spent a couple extra bucks (still very cheap) for some Nike ball. It had a noticeably softer feel, and I won't go back to the top flites.

I certainly wouldn't spend a lot if you suck, but it's worth sampling a few that aren't the absolute cheapest.

Homer 03-21-2007 04:34 PM

I still use X-OUTS. I'm a cheap bastard and honestly don't notice any difference. That being said, I'm not very good (low 80's at my peak, probably mid-90's now having not played much recently).

scotchnrocks 03-21-2007 04:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I agree to a point. I'm a total hack and I used to buy the cheap top flites. One time I spent a couple extra bucks (still very cheap) for some Nike ball. It had a noticeably softer feel, and I won't go back to the top flites.

I certainly wouldn't spend a lot if you suck, but it's worth sampling a few that aren't the absolute cheapest.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah I'm a hack too and I hit noticeably better with a good ball

nowags 03-21-2007 04:57 PM

I can shoot in the 80's, and I'm a huge fan of Titleist NXT Tour. Last time i was at Golfsmith, they had boxes of these that were used (pulled out of water hazards). The company that sells them even went through the effort to make sure they weren't selling balls with scuffs. I think a dozen was $15. Full price, new, they should be around $30 or so. I reccomend these

CalledDownLight 03-21-2007 05:01 PM

Titleist DT so/lo FTW if you're looking for something thats pretty cheap and good. I haven't really played golf in forever (like 2 years) though so there might be something better out there now.

bonds 03-21-2007 05:11 PM

I frequently use whatever I happen to find in the woods. If I go out after an outing, I can usually pick up a dozen of whatever brand the pro shop had on sale that day without too much effort.

funkymunky 03-21-2007 05:35 PM

Yeah, there seems to be a difference, particularly if you have a high enough swing speed for some of the tour-type balls.

I played a Titleist Pro V1 * ball in a scramble a few times, and that ball was scary long - easily 15 yards longer on the driver (which is HUGE) I've also hit the Callaway HX Tour Hot ball (can't remember the exact name), which was also very long.

IggyWH 03-21-2007 05:38 PM

I know guys who use womens balls because I'm told they are wound tighter for extra distance. People tell me they get an extra 10-20 yards on their drives.

For me though, I'm a hack. I buy Top Flight XL 2000's. I can usually get 36 balls for $15 when they're on sale.

Boris 03-21-2007 05:40 PM

I seem to remember reading a Wall Street Journal article about the insane amount of money spent on golf ball marketing. The point of the article was basically all balls are created equal, but marketing budgets are not.

offTopic 03-21-2007 06:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I know guys who use womens balls because I'm told they are wound tighter for extra distance. People tell me they get an extra 10-20 yards on their drives.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's the opposite. Women's balls are lower compression (and nothing is wound any more, as far as I know) which benefits slower swings.

Black Aces 518 03-21-2007 06:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's the opposite. Women's balls are lower compression (and nothing is wound any more, as far as I know) which benefits slower swings.

[/ QUOTE ]

correct

donkeylove 03-21-2007 06:28 PM

There is a big difference in balls. Given the choice between having to hit a lousy ball with a $500 driver, or hit a good ball with a $100 driver, I'd take the good ball. By good I mean right for me,not necessarily the most expensive. Not all good balls are the most expensive. One of the longest balls I ever hit was the Wilson Jack that sold very cheaply.

Most of the cheap low compression balls have a lousy feel, I prefer the 2 piece distance balls if you wanna go cheap. I loved the Wilson Jack, as they were scary long but didn't feel that bad around the greens. Pretty sure they are off the market now.

I am a good, not great, golfer with a fast swing so 2 piece distance balls work well for me. If your a decent golfer with a moderate swing you want 2 piece low compresion. If your a great golfer then the really expensive balls will enhance each part of your game, and are worth the expense. So yes, type of golf ball counts.

stinkypete 03-21-2007 06:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I seem to remember reading a Wall Street Journal article about the insane amount of money spent on golf ball marketing. The point of the article was basically all balls are created equal, but marketing budgets are not.

[/ QUOTE ]

the wall street journal is dumb.

HeavilyArmed 03-21-2007 07:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm reasonably sure all balls must pass a USGA test for distance and if the go too far they fail and can not be sanctioned.

The reasoning is obvious. Golf courses are fixed in length. The game would be too easy if a ball went 25% further with equal effort.

The rules regarding clubs are not so strict. This has really changed the game but the balls all go the same, all other things being equal.

stinkypete 03-21-2007 07:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm reasonably sure all balls must pass a USGA test for distance and if the go too far they fail and can not be sanctioned.

The reasoning is obvious. Golf courses are fixed in length. The game would be too easy if a ball went 25% further with equal effort.

The rules regarding clubs are not so strict. This has really changed the game but the balls all go the same, all other things being equal.

[/ QUOTE ]

not all balls reach that maximum. and distance is only one of many important aspects - spin and feel being the two other major ones.

the rules regarding clubs are just as strict imo, but obviously it's comparing apples to oranges.

RikkiDee 03-22-2007 03:55 AM

I also read an article in the Economist that explained that with all the inovation in clubs, balls and other golf technology throughout the past 50 years, the average players handicap has only dropped 0.5-1 stroke.

So, believe what you want, but I'll go with the stats.

ElDuque 03-22-2007 03:57 AM

Please move to the golf forum. Thx in advance.

Scotty. 03-22-2007 04:59 AM

I used to be around a 4-5 handicap, and would play with whatever balls I happened to pick out of the water or find in my yard. Sure, I liked the more expensive balls a little better, but I don't think it made a very significant difference in my game, as long as the ball was in good condition.

Butcho22 03-22-2007 05:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, there seems to be a difference, particularly if you have a high enough swing speed for some of the tour-type balls.

I played a Titleist Pro V1 * ball in a scramble a few times, and that ball was scary long - easily 15 yards longer on the driver (which is HUGE) I've also hit the Callaway HX Tour Hot ball (can't remember the exact name), which was also very long.

[/ QUOTE ]

15 yards longer compared to what?

you do realize without this KEY piece of info the extra yards mean nothing.

Butcho22 03-22-2007 05:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's obv you don't know much about golf balls/golf etc...

Saying all balls are created equal is like saying "The 300" and "My Girl" are exactly the same cuz they're both movies.

I would go on and on proving my point but it's a waste of my time and yours, obv.

Butcho22 03-22-2007 05:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I also read an article in the Economist that explained that with all the inovation in clubs, balls and other golf technology throughout the past 50 years, the average players handicap has only dropped 0.5-1 stroke.

So, believe what you want, but I'll go with the stats.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT

The game is just too hard/time consuming for most people.
Mainly it's just too hard for the average person to enjoy enough to keep coming back.

Now we have all these golf courses that were built because of the "Tiger-Effect" with nobody to play on them. Lots and lots of courses are going to be losing money/shutting down withing the next 5 years.

Of course, golf will always be here in a big way, i'm not trying to suggest otherwise...but they went way overboard building courses the last 8 years because they forgot that most people play on average ~10-14 months before quitting. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

TobDog 03-22-2007 01:59 PM

You also have to look at your conditions, I played in a scramble with some friends a few years ago and for the tee shots used the , at the time, New Precept MC Lady(because I heard it was very long) I drove a par 4 flat no wind 350 yards, now I dont hit the ball that far, but that was nice to do, that ball did not give me an extra 75 yards. There is a difference between the "elite" golf balls(ProV1, HX Tour, Taylor Made TP, etc) and the rest(NXT, HX Hot, MAxfli, etc) but most people dont really notice it , the better players notice it in the less than full swing range(80 yards and in) as the higher priced balls react better that the rest, but again, many non professionals don't spin the ball properly to differentiate.

tobdog

JayDoubleYou 03-22-2007 02:14 PM

Don't use the pink ones

JayDoubleYou 03-22-2007 02:20 PM

The definitive answer is:
-Yes there is A difference
-If you have unwanted spin( most likely a slice) use a cheaper ball(doesn't have to mean top flite could be NXT or precept laddie or whatever) they spin less
-Don't use wound balls they are considerably shorter than 2 or 3 piece balls(wound is obsolete)
-pro v's are probably the best and the first soft multipiece to break out on tour(very long but soft cover). I use HX tours which are comparable, i just prefer them
-Don't use the pink ones

stinkypete 03-22-2007 02:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the better players notice it in the less than full swing range(80 yards and in)

[/ QUOTE ]

the difference between a good ball (prov1, hx tour) and a rock (top flite, etc) is huge for short-mid iron shots even with a full swing. the decent balls will stop nicely where they land because of the spin, while the crappy ones will bounce right through the green.

anyone who can't see that there's a significant difference really really sucks at golf.

TobDog 03-22-2007 04:01 PM

I can stop a Pinnacle Gold with 7 iron pretty much the sme as a ProV1/x, I generate quite a bit of spin on my mid irons, but in the mid iron range there is little difference(should be), if someone wants to argue with you on it, though, the more expensive balls that spin slightly more will actually help the higher handicap player in getting the ball in the air, thats not from me, one of the R&D Titleist ball guys said that at a recent seminar I was at.

stinkypete 03-22-2007 04:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I can stop a Pinnacle Gold with 7 iron pretty much the sme as a ProV1/x

[/ QUOTE ]

the pro v1x is not a high spin ball.

if you're stopping a pinnacle gold with a 7 iron, you're spinning back a pro v1. but that would explain why you play the pro v1x and not the pro v1.

RacersEdge 03-22-2007 04:19 PM

I spun back a Pro V1 off the green into a lake one time. One stroke penalty was worth the coolness effect.

Seriously, I hate the sound a hard cover ball like Top Flite makes coming off a putter.

TobDog 03-22-2007 04:21 PM

Until end of last year, I played the V1X because I spun the V1 too much, I liked it, but later learned that the V1x actually spins more off the short irons, it also flattens out your long iron trajectory too. I noticed a minimal reduction of spin from the regular V1.

tobdog

morphball 03-22-2007 05:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah it is. I QFT you for that truth. However, the good golf balls can be used effectively by like 1% of the golf population, if that, and I bet a large percentage of that 1% don't pay for golf balls. So their marketing is for suckers for whom all golf balls really are the same, same as the marketing for fancy skis, fancy tennis rackets, fancy WTF ever...

GTL 03-22-2007 05:37 PM

this is a little off topic. but on the pro tour, do golfers use the same ball all the time? are they allowed to switch balls for drives/chips/puts.

CrazyEyez 03-22-2007 05:39 PM

You have to use not only the same type of ball, but the exact same ball for the duration of a hole. After the hole, you can switch to a new ball, but I don't know whether it has to be the same type or not.

guids 03-22-2007 05:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You have to use not only the same type of ball, but the exact same ball for the duration of a hole. After the hole, you can switch to a new ball, but I don't know whether it has to be the same type or not.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whats the penalty for switching balls? Is it a storke or is the round forfeited? I know there would be no reson, just curious.