Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   The Lounge: Discussion+Review (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   What Books Have You Read Recently? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=354091)

Enrique 03-13-2007 01:22 PM

What Books Have You Read Recently?

Trying to mimic the successful thread on recent movies, I think a book thread would be a good idea.

Here are the latest two I've read:

The Progress Paradox by Gregg Easterbrook. Easterbrook is my favorite NFL columnist. His weekly columns on the NFL are the best out there full of comedy and very practical. His touch on how the world is getting better uses his same pragmatism applied to life in general. Life is getting better in every aspect, yet we are not happier, why? This book, with many references, analyzes the problem and is a nice optimistic view of life. An enjoyable book that makes you feel good, but at the same time makes you want to keep improving life. A great read.

The Fig Eater by Jody Shields. The book is very good. It is about a murder in 1910 Vienna. You follow the inspector's investigation. The book has this great atmosphere of 1910 with superstition elements coming from the character Erzsebet (the inspectors wife). A fun read. I probably liked a bit more because Erzsebet is hungarian and since I lived in Hungary for a semester I feel a connection to their culture and love reading hungarian words whenever they pop up.

SL__72 03-13-2007 02:46 PM

Re: What Books Have You Read Recently?

The last book I actually finished was The Quincunx, by Charles Palliser. I picked it up at a used book store because it was really big, cheap and had some mentions of Dickens somewhere on the cover. It is an epic novel set in 19th-century English and while it was first published in 1989, it did remind me a lot of some of the 19th century novels I have read, particularly Dickens.

I was impressed that this was Palliser's first novel as it was 800+ large/dense pages and had a rather intricate plot and well thought out plot.

For the most part I really enjoyed it as this is one of my favorite periods to read about, I love epic novels and it was pretty well written. I'd give it a 4/5.

JohnAndersen 03-13-2007 04:19 PM

Catch-22, I really love Heller's style of writing and I dig the wit that is used in the book as well. I wasn't sure if I was going to like it after the first two chapters but it really grew on me

Dominic 03-13-2007 06:17 PM

I'm in the middle of the fourth book in George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire. While it is different than the first three, with new characters and less fighting, I'm still enjoying it....I like all the palace intrigue.

I just finished Barry Greenstein's Ace in the Hole. Good book, if a bit scattershot. Very high-quality presentation. I expecially liked his strategy section and would love to see a whole book on poker strategy by Greenstein in the future.

I'm also re-reading Robert Penn Warren's classic, All the King's Men. What a phenomenal book.

DerrtySlime 03-13-2007 11:57 PM

The Game by Neil Strauss ... amazing read.

KilgoreTrout 03-14-2007 08:56 AM

Just finished Lamb by Christopher Moore. It's a satire/comedy covering the "lost" years of Christ. Moore postulates that Christ's childhood friend, Biff, joined him for 17 years traveling the East. Not Moore's best effort (Coyote Blue and The Island of the sequined Love Nun are far superior), but a charming little book.

Also rereading the first full-length detective novel ever written. Wilkie Collins's The Moonstone builds on Poe's short detective stories (Murders in the Rue Morgue, the Gold Bug, etc.) and expands the genre into an epic, globe trotting, Victorian thriller.

TheDudeAbides 03-14-2007 11:01 AM

I read Lamb last year. I thought it was a clever premise but by the end I found myself wishing he had done more with it.

I'm currently reading Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides and, even though I haven't finished yet, can wholeheartedly recommend it to anyone. Brilliantly written, highly imaginitive, and unpredictable.

katyseagull 03-14-2007 12:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just finished Lamb by Christopher Moore. It's a satire/comedy covering the "lost" years of Christ.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was going to post about this book at my lunchtime!

It's the last book I read and I would recommend it to anyone. Some of the dialogue is just hilarious. Not bad for a book about Jesus. Some people may find it blasphemous but in my opinion it is touching and full of great lines. Whether you view Christ as the Son of God or just a historical figure, I think you will really enjoy this book. I wish I could write like Moore.

One review I read said that Moore has a "magical tenderness" and I thought that was a good description. Another reviewer said that he has a wit similar to Douglas Adams. Anyway, I highly recommend this book even if you are a Christian.

katyseagull 03-14-2007 12:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I'm currently reading Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides and, even though I haven't finished yet, can wholeheartedly recommend it to anyone. Brilliantly written, highly imaginitive, and unpredictable.

[/ QUOTE ]

Based on your positive review I decided to look this up. It sounds pretty interesting. I think I might go buy it after work. Thanks.

Wynton 03-14-2007 12:32 PM

I'm in the middle of Arthur and George , and really enjoying it so far.

Two prior books were:

Absolute Friends (a disappointment), by John LeCarre
Fortress of Solitude (loved parts of it), by Letham.

Wynton 03-14-2007 12:38 PM

Oh, one more thing. For those interested in novels with biblical themes, I strongly recommend Fallen, by David Maine.

It's the story about Cain and Abel, told in reverse chronological order. Essentially, it's a "why-done-it," delving into the psychology of Cain, Abel, Adam and Eve.

Maine has also written books about Noah ("The Preservationist"), which I did not read, and Samson and Delilah ("The Book of Samson"), which I liked but not nearly as much as Fallen.

Enrique 03-28-2007 04:59 PM

The Einstein Intersection by Samuel R. Delany.
Read it on the airplane. A friend highly recommended it, since I like science fiction a lot I gave it a read. Even though I like the tale of Orpheus (one of my favorite movies is Orpheus by Jean Cocteau), I didn't like this book that much. There are some great scenes in it, he gives some nice images specially when Lobey plays his machete. I also like how the author puts in a couple of entries from his writer's journal (he puts in quotes before every chapter, in some cases the quotes come from his writer's journal). I didn't like the book that much, but I'll give the author another chance, as I am planning on reading at least one more book from him.

OrigamiSensei 03-28-2007 06:53 PM

A fair amount of material related to World War II:

Unit 731 by Peter Williams and David Wallace - An account of Japan's biological warfare program and how America let those responsible go free due to Cold War considerations.

Iwo Jima - Legacy of Valor by Bill D. Ross - An account of the horrific, heroic struggle for Iwo Jima.

The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich by William L. Shirer - The definitive account of the Nazi regime, its origins, its inner workings and its downfall. I found particularly fascinating the description of the ruthless, byzantine methods Hitler used to gain power.

Enrique 03-28-2007 07:07 PM

What led you to read so much on WWII?
The books seem very interesting.

Did you see the movie Letters from Iwo Jima? Did the book change what you thought about the movie (or viceversa)?

Have you read Mein Kampf?

Chump Change 03-28-2007 07:55 PM

http://www.stainlesssteeldroppings.c...gilethings.jpg

Highly recommended.

Plus, the following isn't a recent read for me, but if you haven't read it, it should be for you:

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/03...1.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

OrigamiSensei 03-28-2007 08:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What led you to read so much on WWII?
The books seem very interesting.

Did you see the movie Letters from Iwo Jima? Did the book change what you thought about the movie (or viceversa)?

Have you read Mein Kampf?

[/ QUOTE ]
I have not seen the movie; perhaps I'll get to check it out on DVD. The movie didn't really prompt me to check out the book - I have been slowly working my way through understanding the land battles in the Pacific more thorough. Previously I had read about Guadalcanal, then this, and next I'll be reading up more on the campaigns in New Guinea and the British battles in Singapore/Malaysia and the China-Burna-India theatre as I find material.

Nor have I read Mein Kampf. With regard to Mein Kampf I should read it but I'm not sure I could get through it even if it does help me understand that megalomaniacal psychopath better. That being said I've read enough other history to understand the content of the book and its main themes.

I have had the first half of the 20th century as a primary area of interest for many years. I have read extensively on both world wars, particularly from a military strategy standpoint although I am working to understand more about the geopolitical aspects as time goes on.

As someone with quite libertarian leanings I find myself trying to better understand how people like Hitler and Stalin could rise to power, how an inbred network of European monarchists could manage to escalate minor squabbles into a disastrous battle royale, and how the devaluation of human life could become so prevalent.

SoloAJ 03-28-2007 09:18 PM

In the last 5 days I've read Lucky Jim, Straight Man, and The Daydreaming Boy.

I would highly recommend Straight Man, marginally recommend Lucky Jim, and not recommend The Daydreaming Boy.

I think Straight Man is fairly popular, but whatever...It is about an English department chair at a university in Pennsylvania. It is a book full of humor and it has a very unique writing style. It is not unique in that it "stands out from the norm" by being different. It just is very rich with humor and the entire story ties up a lot of loose ends. I do not think I have ever come across a book with so many one-liners that made me chuckle. Of course, being that I'm in the English field and still have ambitions to teach at the university level in 5-10 years, I have a special interest.

Lucky Jim is actually the original version of Straight Man, or rather, the text which Straight Man was based off of. It is good as well, and I really really liked it. But the two books are really similar and I felt that Straight Man was better written. So if I had to recommend one, it would definitely be SM.

The Daydreaming Boy is about the Armenian genocide in the early 1900s. It is a really really intriguing concept for me. Unfortunately, the style of writing in the novel makes it incredibly hard to follow.

The story follows the current life and very jacked up memories of the main character, who was a young boy during the genocides. I was surprised to find out about this because I had ZERO knowledge of a situation that was not all that unlike the Nazi/Jews situation ~40 years later.

The book is interesting, and certainly gripping in terms of how heavy the material is. It is about punishment and ruined lives. I just could not keep a handle on the narrative aspect though. It is similar to a stream of conscience novel, except it is a SoC novel from the perspective of a genocide survivor who has been effed up in life.

Anyhow, there is an update on some stuff I read. For anyone interested in comedy and/or some exaggerated insight into the English academic world, Straight Man is something I would pick up. It is a pretty sizeable read, but it is a really funny book.

callmedonnie 03-29-2007 12:22 AM

Currently 1/3rd way through Infinite Jest. So sick so far. So far to go.

FeliciaLee 03-29-2007 11:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm also re-reading Robert Penn Warren's classic, All the King's Men. What a phenomenal book.

[/ QUOTE ]
I am reading this, too. What a coincidence! I can definitely see why so many pundits of the day said it was loosely based on Huey Long.

No spoilers, please, I'm about 3/4 done, but my husband already spoiled one big part of it for me, saying, "You know, it's too bad (xxx) happened in the end."

I was like WTF!?! You are sleeping on the couch for a frigging month, you bastid!

Phenomenal book, I agree. Kind of reminds me of a deep south version of some of John Steinbeck's work.

Felicia [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

J.Brown 03-29-2007 03:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
http://www.stainlesssteeldroppings.c...gilethings.jpg

Highly recommended.

Plus, the following isn't a recent read for me, but if you haven't read it, it should be for you:

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/03...1.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

ok, so i am just about to start infinite jest.

i read very very quickly. is this likely to be a summer project? is it worth it? for sure is it? because i can not start a new book until i finish the one i am on, no matter how bad or boring, so..........i am in your hands. time guesstimate on IJ and is it really worth the time commitment? i have been putting this off forever.

thanks in advance. J.

Chump Change 03-30-2007 08:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
ok, so i am just about to start infinite jest.

i read very very quickly. is this likely to be a summer project? is it worth it? for sure is it? because i can not start a new book until i finish the one i am on, no matter how bad or boring, so..........i am in your hands. time guesstimate on IJ and is it really worth the time commitment? i have been putting this off forever.

thanks in advance. J.

[/ QUOTE ]

It will blow your mind to back off you head. Whatever that means. Even if you're a quick reader give it a good month to make sure it's fully digested. It's 1100 pages long, 200 of which are footnotes, but definitely worth it. You'll be hooked in the first 10 pages.

J.Brown 03-30-2007 02:06 PM

thanks for the reply.

i am starting it in the middle of next week.
i am finally finishing 3 books i am on right now.

a philip roth book, another [censored] night in suck city, and one of anthony bourdain's books......then full focus on infinte jest still may or something. thanks. J.

J.Brown 03-30-2007 02:08 PM

oh and i misposted earlier. i can start new books, but i have to finish all books that i start. you know what i mean. i screwed myself having 3 going at once, too many.

lol. J.

TheDudeAbides 03-30-2007 02:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
a philip roth book

[/ QUOTE ]

Which one?

J.Brown 03-30-2007 11:23 PM

i have read a ton of roth. i really really like him.

i am just finishing "Plot Against America"

i read "Everyman" before it in one sitting and obv. really liked it, even recommended it to several people.

not loving "Plot" quite as much, but it is quite thought provoking. do you have a favorite roth book?

cheers. J.

CappyAA 04-02-2007 01:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Catch-22, I really love Heller's style of writing and I dig the wit that is used in the book as well. I wasn't sure if I was going to like it after the first two chapters but it really grew on me

[/ QUOTE ]

I have the same sentiments. Finished it a week ago and I loved it. I definitely found myself laughing out loud a few times on the metro reading it. I will be starting 'Good to Great' tomorrow, as my boss gave it to me as a gift, and it looked rather interesting.

Blarg 04-02-2007 01:35 AM

Catch-22 was a slow start for me, and I know someone else who found it really hard to get into for the same reason, but I wound up really loving it. Well worth the plow.

Godson 04-02-2007 01:57 AM

Middle limit hold'em by bob and jim, not really liking it so far, im half-way through, it seems like 1 long lesson, im getting to the turn-betting section though it should be interesting, ill post up what I think of it when im done.

Scotch78 04-02-2007 05:41 AM

Quo Vadis

Scott

TheDudeAbides 04-02-2007 09:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]

i read "Everyman" before it in one sitting and obv. really liked it, even recommended it to several people.

not loving "Plot" quite as much, but it is quite thought provoking. do you have a favorite roth book?

cheers. J.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've read almost all of his stuff and what amazes me is that he seems to get better and better.

I guess I'd have to say 'I Married a Communist' is probably my favourite, but only because my it is loosely based on the war/political experiences of my grandfather.

J.Brown 04-02-2007 11:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

cheers. J.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've read almost all of his stuff and what amazes me is that he seems to get better and better.

I guess I'd have to say 'I Married a Communist' is probably my favourite, but only because my it is loosely based on the war/political experiences of my grandfather.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude,

i have almost all of his stuff and have read, uh, maybe half or so......

if you don't mind give my your roth list of faves from top to bottom

i married a communist down to........well that is the tough part, this will be a really cool list for me. i will post one if my contrasts greatly.

thanks. J.

TheDudeAbides 04-02-2007 11:36 AM

I'd say my top 5 are:

1) Communist
2) Portnoy's Complaint (first I ever read - I read it as a 16 year old Jewish kid...so it hit home)
3) Everyman
4) American Pastoral
5) Goodbye Columbus

The only one I really didn't enjoy at all was The Human Stain.

Paluka 04-02-2007 11:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Catch-22 was a slow start for me, and I know someone else who found it really hard to get into for the same reason, but I wound up really loving it. Well worth the plow.

[/ QUOTE ]

It took me about 4 tries to read Catch 22, and it is now my favorite book. It is one of the few books I actually re-read periodically. The others are the the GRRM Song of Ice and Fire books.

J.Brown 04-02-2007 01:32 PM

good list.

i loved american pastoral and everyman for sure.
i really liked i married a communist, but didn't have a personal connection like you did.

i liked the human stain, suprised you didn't if you like his writing that much. what didn't you like?

my other faves are the great american novel, pure genius.
and operation shylock, which i couldn't put down.

i haven't read portnoy's complaint and i have never been a 16 year old jewish kid, but i don't think it will stop me from enjoying it. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

cool, thanks dude. J.

TheDudeAbides 04-02-2007 02:18 PM

I forgot about The Great American Novel - but I haven't read it in a while.

[ QUOTE ]
i haven't read portnoy's complaint and i have never been a 16 year old jewish kid, but i don't think it will stop me from enjoying it.

[/ QUOTE ]
LOL. Don't worry - you'll still enjoy it. Greatest punchline of any book I've ever read.

fyodor 04-02-2007 02:36 PM

I think I mentioned in another thread that I was recently rereading Crime and Punishment. Finished it about a week ago. I also remember saying something about my copy being the Jesse Coulson translation. I have been wanting to get the new (relatively new anyhow) Pevear/Volokhonsky trasnslation.

Well today I received a gift card in the mail for a local book store from one of my nieces so I went down and ordered it. Once I have it I will read immediately and then let you know what I think.

I'm pretty excited about this. How geeky is that?

renodoc 04-02-2007 02:54 PM

Just read McCullough's Truman. excellent.

Reading Power of Now on a friend's rec.

Blarg 04-02-2007 06:24 PM

Crime and Punishment was a great read.

P.S. Portnoy's Complaint was gut-bustingly funny. I wonder how well it has aged, though, because at the time it was extremely sexually daring and outrageous. Most of the shock value is probably long gone by now.

DeuceKicker 04-02-2007 06:59 PM

Recently finished The Kite Runner. Interesting and pretty touching.

Currently struggling through Battle Royale, by Koushun Takami. It's supposed to be the 21st Century's answer to The Lord of the Flies.

I guess I've discovered the issue with reading a translation. You're not going to be blown away by great prose, so the actual storyline has to be able to stand on its own, since it's almost going to seem like it was written by an 8th grader. The problem with Battle Royale is that the story has been done before (Flies) so you're left with a Junior High rewrite. (Actually, that's not even correct. LOTF chronicled the descent of the children into barbarity. Battle Royale puts them right into a game they're forced to play, so it's really just about who dies and how.)

TheDudeAbides 04-13-2007 01:06 PM

Hoping someone can recommend a new book for me. I'm looking for something like Palahniuk, Coupland, etc. Something with a Gen-X, angsty slant with a healthy dose of humour. Any suggestions?