Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   S.A.D - Seasonal Affective Disorder (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=349470)

PartyGirlUK 03-07-2007 05:40 PM

S.A.D - Seasonal Affective Disorder

Ive suffered from depression for about 10 years, and it always gets worse in the winter. Id hoped to live in a sunny climate, but as it seems likely Im gonna spend the next 5 years in Chicago, Im looking to take preventative measures to try and minimise the pain. Generic anti-depression stuff like exercise, keeping myself busy I will attempt. Having a good group of friends, hopefully a gf etc. will also help. But Id like specific advice from anyone on how to stop feeling gloomy when its 18:00 and already pitch black, or when its practically impossible to go out of your house.

Thanks a lot,

D

emon87 03-07-2007 05:42 PM

Re: S.A.D - Seasonal Affective Disorder

This is your first winter in chicago right? It's been waaay worse than normal. Last year it was sunny (although cold) all the time.

Also, get a grow lamp for your house

Requin 03-07-2007 05:45 PM

One of my best friend's father started this company, worth checking out the webpage at least.

Shadowrun 03-07-2007 05:45 PM

chicago was actually pretty good till february but it should warm up soon dont worry.

you should see some sox/cubs games

Dids 03-07-2007 05:47 PM

Dean,

My sister has this.

1- they make lights to help combat SAD

2- drugs

3- she just kinda accepts that winter will be less awesome.

PartyGirlUK 03-07-2007 05:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
chicago was actually pretty good till february but it should warm up soon dont worry.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right - until the end of Jan I really couldnt understand why everyone had told me 'You're going to Chicago? Watch out for the winter - it's really rough'!

Then Feb hit and I realised 'Oh boyyyyyyyyyyyy'

PartyGirlUK 03-07-2007 05:54 PM

Re. drugs - I went to see a psychologist in London last week and he suggested I start antidepressants at the end of fall, say October, and take them until April - this seems wise and Im probably going to do it.

D

NLSoldier 03-07-2007 06:01 PM

moving to SD to make a documentary about me seems like the obvious cure.

wiper 03-07-2007 06:05 PM

i usually get this every february, but this winter (northeast ohio) hasn't been that bad...

december, i actually golfed 6 times, which never happens. january/february were horrible, but we got 5 calamity days for snow/cold, so as bad as it was, i wasn't at work...

we just got another 5 inches last night pretty unexpectedly, and as a baseball coach, it sucks that we haven't been outside yet, but supposedly this weekend it might hit 60...

overall, this winter was above-average bad, i guess, there was a stretch of 10 days where we didn't get above a windchill of 0, and 25 days where we weren't above freezing, but for whatever reason, it didn't [censored] with me as bad as it normally does...

that said, i'm ready for shorts and sandals..

Brian707 03-07-2007 06:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Right - until the end of Jan I really couldnt understand why everyone had told me 'You're going to Chicago? Watch out for the winter - it's really rough'!

Then Feb hit and I realised 'Oh boyyyyyyyyyyyy'

[/ QUOTE ]

The winters for the last 10 years or so have been mild until this winter. From late Jan til late Feb it never got above 32. Looks like 50's by next week though so its almost over. The summers are the best around here so Im sure you will enjoy it, it falls on a weekend this year!

Yads 03-07-2007 07:03 PM

Get one of those lights for SAD.

IggyWH 03-07-2007 07:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
3- she just kinda accepts that winter will be less awesome.

[/ QUOTE ]

IMO, this is all you can really do. Don't harp on it or else it'll bring you down even more. Try to be as active and social as you possibly can.

It's almost painful to get myself motivated at times to go out on the weekends during the winter. Once you do it though, you feel much better and it gets easier the more you do it.

I definitely have SAD, which is definitely a big reason why I'm moving to San Diego. I'm not sure I can make it through another Pittsburgh winter without driving myself insane.

KRANTZ 03-07-2007 07:16 PM

dean,

clean your apartment. spend some money on some decorative stuff/more lights. i guarantee you you will be at least a little bit happier when everything is clean, comfortable and a bit homier.

Klompy 03-07-2007 07:22 PM

Going to a tanning bed usualy cheers me up.

PartyGirlUK 03-07-2007 07:56 PM

Mum - I never knew you posted on 2p2 under the 'Krantz' alias [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I was thinking of getting a cat. Not specifically for S.A.D but for general happiness. Dog would be good but I cant afford the time in my first year likely. Thoughts?

tsearcher 03-07-2007 08:11 PM

Like everyone else says, get those lights. Always go outside some time during the day. If you live or work in the city, this is real easy to do no matter what the weather. If it's real bad out, just hop from store to store. And go out at night too. The streets are lit up real nice.

If you are stuck in the suburbs this will be a little tougher. But you still should be able to step out of the office once in a while, like the smokers do. Every little bit of sunshine on the skin helps.

Also, get some good cold weather gear and force your self to spend the weekends outside. There's skating in the city and if enough snow skiing. Also there is tons of stuff to do up in WI.

One more thing, don't close your shades. Let the sun wake you up in the morning.

Hope that helps. It works for me.

TheGrasshopper 03-07-2007 08:20 PM

I would encourage you to buy travel magazines and plan trips that you won't take. I probably suffer a little from that and took that advice and it made the winter better.

PartyGirlUK 03-07-2007 10:34 PM

Unf for my first year Im gonna be working so hard that I wont have time for any fun or travel or life.

Skipbidder 03-07-2007 11:06 PM

I'm already looking at the available data for effectiveness of light therapy (for a friend). There is a recent study comparing SSRIs (the drug class that includes Prozac) to light therapy, which shows similar effectiveness between the two. I haven't nitpicked the study yet. I'll keep this thread bookmarked. After I finish the research, I'll post again here.

PartyGirlUK 03-07-2007 11:32 PM

Presumably even if you use one the other has benefit......

wet work 03-08-2007 12:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This is your first winter in chicago right? It's been waaay worse than normal. Last year it was sunny (although cold) all the time.

Also, get a grow lamp for your house

[/ QUOTE ]

Plus the extra buds around might lighten you're mood. j/k

I suffer with this as well. It's a real pain in the ass. I'm probably moving within the next 6 mos. to a sunnier climate and I hope this helps some.

Packard 03-08-2007 12:39 AM

S.A.D is made up. You think that you will feel bad because of the weather and you do feel bad because you want to make yourself think so.

The human mind has gotten people to the moon. Making up a disorder and conditions is not a difficult task for the brain.

guids 03-08-2007 12:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
S.A.D is made up. You think that you will feel bad because of the weather and you do feel bad because you want to make yourself think so.

The human mind has gotten people to the moon. Making up a disorder and conditions is not a difficult task for the brain.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrongo. Its not known what teh exact cause it, but its widely believe your hormones (melatonin) get messed up.

Arbitrage 03-08-2007 12:59 AM

wake up early and try to go to bed early, so you will be awake the entire time the sun is out.

Arbitrage 03-08-2007 01:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

http://blog.outer-court.com/files/to...e-at-yahoo.jpg

Skooch 03-08-2007 01:24 AM

I realized I have SAD about 3 years ago, until then I just thought that winters sucked and the holidays were stressful. Since then I have done a number of things that make a world of difference. First and foremost is go somewhere warm and sunny. Even if its only for a week of vacation it will make a world of difference. Secondly get a special lamp and research how to use it. It is most useful if you use to to extend the days sunlight by using it at the beginning and end of the day. Third, I would make an extra effort to get exercise. Those are the things that have made the biggest difference in my life.

wet work 03-08-2007 02:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

http://blog.outer-court.com/files/to...e-at-yahoo.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

I laughed. Even though it's so cold out I should be crying.

suzzer99 03-08-2007 02:50 AM

Where can I move that makes football season last all year round?

Victor 03-08-2007 02:52 AM

"ve suffered from depression for about 10 years, and it always gets worse in the winter. Id hoped to live in a sunny climate"

+

"Im gonna spend the next 5 years in Chicago,"

does not compute.

Daliman 03-08-2007 03:18 AM

I live in Chicago area too, for the last 22 years. The previous 9 years, I lived in California, Panama, and Virginia, so it was a bit of a change. I always get stir crazy in winter, and have a much worse time handling any adversity then too.

I F'ING HATE WINTER!
I will be moving to AZ or LV within 18 months, however, so I got that going for me.

PartyGirlUK 03-08-2007 03:50 AM

Victor I might have an occur I might not be able to refuse [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

suzzer99 03-08-2007 04:02 AM

I've lived in LA for 6 years, grew up in KC. While 70 in Feb certainly does NOT suck, I do miss the seasons, or more accurately the change in seasons. The first warm day of spring in KC, when everyone is outside. Or the first nippy day of fall, when the air fills with woodsmoke. Mmmmm. Out here you get a little teaser of fall, but then it never gets any colder.

Not that I miss it enough to move back for scraping the ice off the windshield in the morning, or stepping into a puddle of dirty slush, or 2 months of 90+ with high humidity in the summer.

ginko 03-08-2007 04:28 AM

Vitamins, pretty much the #1 determining factor in not getting depression.

Victor 03-08-2007 05:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Victor I might have an occur I might not be able to refuse [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

dean im not sure what an "occur" is.

anyway, my post was a bit of a joke but on a semiserious note, did you just not know how bad winter can get in cities like chicago? im not sure of what winter is like in britain.

i live in cleveland so the winter is similiar, tho i think chicago is worse. ive found that im a lot happier if i do get outside, despite the cold. jogging in the cold is pretty doable.

now, march/apr is by far the worst time of the year. im sick of winter and just hoping it ends soon but it can drag on for weeks and monthes. snow in april is normal enough. at least at the start of winter there is football to watch.

[censored] this im moving to cali.

nubs 03-08-2007 06:59 AM

Are there any winter specific activities you can enjoy in the Chicago area? Actually getting aoutside and doing something makes a big difference imo. I actually love winter because I'm an avid skiier and live close to the mountains (Colorado).

MaxWeiss 03-08-2007 07:55 AM

Happy light!

The name for such things, if you want another brand, is "bright light boxes" for "light therapy" and I have the one above. I often get on night schedules and don't see the sun.

Though this light isn't nearly as bright as I thought it would be, I do find myself "feeling" like I do in the day when sitting by a window, and generally more upbeat and happy. I think it works and I'm happy I bought it.

MaxWeiss 03-08-2007 07:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
S.A.D is made up.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is just completely wrong. There are numerous studies showing it to be very real.

talkinghead 03-08-2007 08:07 AM

The Scandinavian suicide rate is proof enough. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

talkinghead 03-08-2007 08:14 AM

Billy Connolly used to say, there's no such thing as bad weather, only the wrong clothes.

That kind of attitude perks me up a bit sometimes, an earlier poster suggested getting involved in winter outdoor activities. That's good advice IMHO.

Uglyowl 03-08-2007 10:10 AM

You watch "The View" don't you!

web page

http://as.wn.com/i/4d/6a8bfbf5fec281.jpg