Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   R.I.P. Steve Rogers (AKA Captain America) (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=349148)

mrkilla 03-07-2007 11:10 AM

R.I.P. Steve Rogers (AKA Captain America)

http://www.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/book...ica/index.html

[ QUOTE ]
After close to 60 years in print, Marvel Comics has killed off Steve Rogers, aka Captain America, one of its most famous and beloved superheroes amid an already controversial story line, "Civil War," which is pitting the heroes of Marvel's universe against one another.

[/ QUOTE ]

Captain America, fighting Nazi's and the Commies but couldn't beat the US Gov't legal system.

Shadowrun 03-07-2007 11:12 AM

Re: R.I.P. Steve Rogers (AKA Captain America)

who killed him?

mrkilla 03-07-2007 11:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
who killed him?

[/ QUOTE ]

he gets sniped walking into court

Shadowrun 03-07-2007 11:14 AM

some random sniper???

He fought and triumphed over Hitler, Tojo, international Communism and a host of supervillains, but he could not dodge a sniper's bullet.

In the comic series, Rogers was to stand trial for defying a superhero registration law passed after a hero's tragic mistake causes a 9/11-like event.

Steve Rogers eventually surrenders to police. He is later mortally wounded as he climbs the courthouse steps.

That is weaksauce.

Valsuvious 03-07-2007 11:16 AM

They won't kill him off for good. They never kill off someone of his calibur.

Look at how many times other characters have died and came back.

Wolverine
Superman
Batman
Mr. Fantastic
Hulk...
Not to mention all the villains

he'll be back, kinda sad though still.

DrewDevil 03-07-2007 11:18 AM

http://www.localarcade.com/arcade_ar.../C_America.jpg

When Captain America throws his mighty shield
All those who chose to oppose his shield must yield
When he's led to the fight, and the duel is due
Then the red, and the white, and the blue will come through
When Captain America throws his mighty shield!

Valsuvious 03-07-2007 11:20 AM

I wouldn't actually be surprised if he got his own movie soon anyways

samjjones 03-07-2007 11:30 AM

He'll be back within the year. Marvel is in the business of making money, and killing off one of your most popular characters and then reviving them is a short-term way to accomplish this.

DrewDevil 03-07-2007 11:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Wolverine
Superman
Batman
Mr. Fantastic
Hulk...

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, I had no idea all these guys were killed off and resurrected.

Can you give me a short synopsis of how each of these characters died and then came back?

samjjones 03-07-2007 11:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Wolverine - "dies" virtually every other issue, but has super healing powers, and always comes back.
Superman - was killed by Doomsday like 10 years ago, stayed dead for about a year before they brought him back.
Batman - don't think he's been dead; had his back broken and was replaced by some other dude for a while until everybody realized the other dude was boring.
Mr. Fantastic - don't recall
Hulk - don't remember him being dead, but he split into a couple of personalities or something

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Valsuvious 03-07-2007 11:57 AM

Mostly explained above, and there are more but it's been a long time since I read comics.

As far as Mr. Fantastic, I have the issue still at home. I'd have to read it to remember exactly, but something to do with him getting killed (by vaporization if I remember) and then about 14 issues later it's determined that he was just sent to another dimension or something like that. I'll have to look it up to remember exactly.

If you saw the movie, Jean Grey also died and was resurrected later.

I heard that Aunt May from Spiderman was also killed off.

Read series like the Infinity Saga (War, Gauntlet and Crusade) and Secret Wars. They killed a lot of characters off there, although most of them didn't stay dead through the length of the series.

Sadly, it's been about 10 years at least since I read many comics, so I'm out of touch with what's been happening or who's been killed off or resurrected.

Gildwulf 03-07-2007 12:08 PM

Don't forget Age of Apocalpyse/Xavier. That caused a huge [censored] storm from the fans so they made up some BS about another dimension and put it all back to normal.

orange 03-07-2007 08:39 PM

he'll be back soon. the comic book world always has a way of correcting it.

Jack Bando 03-07-2007 10:00 PM

Unless your name is Ben Parker, you'll come back from the dead. He's the only important person in comics never to come back IIRC. Well him and Batman's parents.

rutang 03-07-2007 10:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He'll be back within the year. Marvel is in the business of making money, and killing off one of your most popular characters and then reviving them is a short-term way to accomplish this.

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't read comics in over 10 years, but i seriously doubt Cap is "one of <thier> most popular characters"

most recognizable maybe, but not popular.

Jack of Arcades 03-07-2007 11:13 PM

Also, Gwen Stacy has never come back to life.

Cry Me A River 03-07-2007 11:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

<cough>clone saga<cough>

<coughUltimate Spider-Man<cough>

<cough>X-Statix Presents: Dead Girl<cough>

mrkilla 03-08-2007 12:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't read comics in over 10 years, but i seriously doubt Cap is "one of <thier> most popular characters"

[/ QUOTE ]

There is a movie with Captain American in it due out in the future and they will obv. bring him back for that

Jack Bando 03-08-2007 12:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

<cough>clone saga<cough>

<coughUltimate Spider-Man<cough>

<cough>X-Statix Presents: Dead Girl<cough>

[/ QUOTE ]

Do these even count?

Wasn't really her, dead, and wasn't it just her in the afterlife?

Ser William 03-08-2007 12:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Unless your name is Ben Parker, you'll come back from the dead. He's the only important person in comics never to come back IIRC. Well him and Batman's parents.

[/ QUOTE ]

There was a recent Spidey where an alternate reality Ben Parker was brought to our world. No one ever stays dead forever.

Although I could very easily see someone else take up the mantle of Captain America at some point rather than bringing back Steve Rogers.

PokrLikeItsProse 03-08-2007 01:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
who killed him?

[/ QUOTE ]

He was shot by a sniper hired by <font color="white"> the Red Skull and also by his ex-girlfriend who was being controlled by one of the Red Skull's associates</font>. He wasn't shown dying in a panel as far as I know, but was only said to be dead, so it is unlikely he is actually dead. In fact, there are a few interesting rumors swirling about concerning him.

Speaking of permanently dead, the comic book characters often said to have lasting, meaning full deaths were Spider Man's Uncle Ben, the Flash Barry Allen, the second Robin Jason Todd, and Cap's sidekick Bucky Barnes.

Now, Bucky Barnes is alive, Jason Todd is alive, and Barry Allen is supposedly seen in some art for a new limited series. At least Uncle Ben is still dead, although Aunt May has been shot.

Jack Bando 03-08-2007 02:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
who killed him?

[/ QUOTE ]

He was shot by a sniper hired by <font color="white"> the Red Skull and also by his ex-girlfriend who was being controlled by one of the Red Skull's associates</font>. He wasn't shown dying in a panel as far as I know, but was only said to be dead, so it is unlikely he is actually dead. In fact, there are a few interesting rumors swirling about concerning him.

Speaking of permanently dead, the comic book characters often said to have lasting, meaning full deaths were Spider Man's Uncle Ben, the Flash Barry Allen, the second Robin Jason Todd, and Cap's sidekick Bucky Barnes.

Now, Bucky Barnes is alive, Jason Todd is alive, and Barry Allen is supposedly seen in some art for a new limited series. At least Uncle Ben is still dead, although Aunt May has been shot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Allen has been dead for 20 years, but does appear from time to time as a spirit to help out. And Ben Parker has never come back 100%, it's always Ben Parker from Earth-64650937r or something. Or the future.

Jason Todd and Bucky are the kinds of deaths that are annoying as a fan. "Oh they're not dead. They came back due to reality being altered/not REALLY dying." ,respectively.

Cry Me A River 03-08-2007 03:09 AM

Other super-heroes who have died and "got better" (in some cases just being replaced by essentially the same character with a different secret identity. Or a favorite trick is to revive them as a female and/or minority version of the same character)

Green Lantern (Hal Jordan)
Green Arrow
Captain Mar-Vell
Supergirl
Superboy
Wildcat
Dr. Midnight
Sandman
The Spectre
Hourman
Nick Fury
Hawkeye
Thor
Two-Gun Kid
Human Torch (golden age)
Wonder Man
Wildfire
Firestorm
Mister Miracle
Ant-Man
Banshee
Deathlok
Drax the Destroyer
Ghost Rider
Man-Wolf
Marvel Boy
Morbius
Shang-Chi
Son of Satan
Spider-Woman
Union Jack
Adam Warlock

And that's just heroes I could think of/google around a bit (and I skipped a lot of really minor ones like the Swordsman and such)

There's a classic issue of The Hulk where Rick Jones' girlfriend is killed and he goes around to a bunch of heroes he knows looking for help. They tell him nothing can be done, dead is dead. He's incredulous because they've all come back from the dead themselves.... (She eventually gets better too...)

Golden_Rhino 03-08-2007 03:11 AM

Comics always remind me of this Mark Twain quote: "Reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated"

gwhiz_612 03-08-2007 04:27 AM

Wow I thought I collected comics but you guys are like some savants.

Synur 03-08-2007 05:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Wolverine
Superman
Batman
Mr. Fantastic
Hulk...

[/ QUOTE ]

When did Batman die? I don't remember that.

samjjones 03-08-2007 01:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Although I could very easily see someone else take up the mantle of Captain America at some point rather than bringing back Steve Rogers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Like Hawkeye (another recently dead and brought back guy)...

samjjones 03-08-2007 01:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't read comics in over 10 years, but i seriously doubt Cap is "one of &lt;thier&gt; most popular characters"

[/ QUOTE ]

rutang - Ed Brubaker has been writing Captain America for the past 2 years, and it is now one of Marvel's better selling titles.

rutang 03-08-2007 01:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]

rutang - Ed Brubaker has been writing Captain America for the past 2 years, and it is now one of Marvel's better selling titles.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can buy that, I don't know Ed Brubaker but a good writer can really make a difference. I read a run of the Hulk from about a year ago that a buddy of mine had that was really good.

gwhiz_612 03-08-2007 01:53 PM

What is the issue number and title where he actually dies?

Jack Bando 03-08-2007 01:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Wolverine
Superman
Batman
Mr. Fantastic
Hulk...

[/ QUOTE ]

When did Batman die? I don't remember that.

[/ QUOTE ]

He didn't really die, Bane broke his back and threw him off a building, so Bruce Wayne wasn't Batman for a while. (Bane was the big guy in the movie Batman &amp; Robin, but in the comics Bane also is a genuis and a devious planner. He broke out every super villians so Batman would get tired capturing them all so he could fight a tired Batman, leading to the backbreak.)

Valsuvious 03-08-2007 02:25 PM

yeah, it's been a while since I've read the comics or anything, but yeah, Batman just had his back broken. I was thinking he died from it but I was wrong.