Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Video Games (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=77)
-   -   Recommend a DS game to me (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=343459)

Badger 02-28-2007 02:57 PM

Recommend a DS game to me

So I saw someone mention Yoshi's Island on this board, and I've played that a ton and really enjoyed it. What should I get next? I've already got Tetris and Children of Mana. I'm looking for something that's got good wi-fi play as well, as my good friend (who happened to be an ex-gf of mine) was visiting, started dating my roommate/best friend and now he moved across the country to Florida to be with her. What a bitch.

astroglide 02-28-2007 03:32 PM

Re: Recommend a DS game to me

castlevania: dawn of sorrow

Badger 02-28-2007 03:53 PM

How is the multiplayer on it?

Moozh 02-28-2007 04:12 PM

MarioKart is a must-have. As fun as any of the other's I've played. Free online gaming (assuming you have a connection). All the new courses are great and I love how they included 16 courses from previous versions.

Elite Beat Agents is tacky, but lots of fun. No multiplayer.

Advanced Wars is very engrossing, but takes a lot of time.

New Mario is great.

I really love the Metroid series, so I enjoyed Hunters. It also has multiplayer melees, but I haven't tried those.

Those are probably the top 5 of the few I own. They're all fun.

Keyser. 02-28-2007 06:08 PM

If you like Yoshi's Island you'll certainly like the new Super Mario Bros. The multiplayer battle against a friend thing is really fun.

GetThere1Time 02-28-2007 06:17 PM

Elite Beat Agents
Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrows
Final Fantasy III
Advance Wars

kickpushcoast 02-28-2007 08:02 PM

mariokart is a must have, insane replay value
ff3 is pretty good
lunar knights is supposed to be really good, done by the metal gear solid guy i believe

HOWMANY 02-28-2007 09:37 PM

Do yourself a favor and get Mario Kart. Trauma Center is also great. Lunar Knights looks really good but I haven't gotten it yet.

Badger 03-01-2007 03:59 AM

Thanks for all the good suggestions. I think I'll pick up Castelvania DoS and Mario Kart. I enjoy Mario Kart, but I also find it very frustrating at times. I haven't played more than a couple times since the original. I played at a Libertarian friend's house once and she was constantly referring to the game "welfaring you up."

I have also played Elite Beat Agents. Fun game and it does have wireless, I don't know about wi-fi (is that the correct terminology, wireless for playing in the same room as someone, wi-fi for over the internet?)

I'm gonna stay away from FF3 as I'll typically play an RPG for 2-5 hour sessions, and there's a lot of other things I should be doing the next couple months without sinking 40+ hours into a game.

Thanks for the recommendations.

HOWMANY 03-01-2007 04:03 AM

Yeah Dawn of Sorrow is quite good as well. When I first started playing it I got bored, but toward the end I really liked it and I wound up running through it a second time just to finish it 100%. I don't think you can be disappointed by Mario Kart, I've had it since about when it came out and I play it fairly regularly even though I have a bunch of games I still haven't finished.

astroglide 03-01-2007 03:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think I'll pick up Castelvania DoS and Mario Kart.

[/ QUOTE ]

fwiw those are easily my top 2 DS games, and i own like 20+.

i just started on hotel dusk, it seems pretty good.

mscags 03-01-2007 06:16 PM

the new mario game is fantastic, a must have IMO

toss 03-01-2007 06:50 PM

Don't forget to pick up Trauma Center. That game can get hard as hell and intense. I can't count how many times I wanted to throw my DS across the room.

Also Tetris DS for what might be the most competitive online multiplayer in the tetris world.

HOWMANY 03-01-2007 09:40 PM

Amazon has Dawn of Sorrow for $20 and Portrait of Ruin for $21 right now.

Badger 03-02-2007 12:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Amazon has Dawn of Sorrow for $20 and Portrait of Ruin for $21 right now.

[/ QUOTE ]
And I've got gift certificates to burn there still. Awesome.

astroglide 03-02-2007 01:22 PM

i liked portrait of ruin a lot, but i still thought dawn of sorrow was much better.

Badger 03-09-2007 01:54 AM

Got Castelvania DoS and Mario Kart in the mail today, but Yoshi's Island is still controlling my life!!!!
I squeeze in like an hour every day- so close to getting 100 on every level.

turnipmonster 03-09-2007 02:12 PM

I got DoS on astro's rec and it's become one of my favorite games for the DS, there is a bit of a learning curve compared to something like mario bros though. I didn't really start enjoying the game until I realized how all the souls work, etc.

astroglide 03-09-2007 04:02 PM

my main tip in dawn of sorrow is this: be very wary of using souls unless you have more than one copy.

some of them are singletons, like from bosses, and you will never have access to them again if you fuse them into a weapon.

Badger 03-12-2007 05:30 PM

I'd like to share that I got a perfect 5000 on Yoshi's Island. Damn that game. It was really fun to play, but my OCD drive to get a perfect on all levels really ate a lot of time at the end there. I'm a pretty busy guy so most of my play happens while I should be sleeping. Last night is the last time I'll need to stay up til 3am playing that game. My friends, roommates and especially girlfriend will all be glad that I have finished. Although they won't appreciate what I have achieved, that's why I'm telling you guys.

Moozh 03-12-2007 08:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd like to share that I got a perfect 5000 on Yoshi's Island. Damn that game. It was really fun to play, but my OCD drive to get a perfect on all levels really ate a lot of time at the end there. I'm a pretty busy guy so most of my play happens while I should be sleeping. Last night is the last time I'll need to stay up til 3am playing that game. My friends, roommates and especially girlfriend will all be glad that I have finished. Although they won't appreciate what I have achieved, that's why I'm telling you guys.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good job. Now you can get to work on getting 3 stars in each of the MarioKart 'missions'. That should keep you busy for the next few months.

Shadowrun 03-12-2007 10:48 PM

get the latest advance wars i think its called black hole rising or something like that havent played it in a while

HOWMANY 03-13-2007 03:34 AM

I've been playing Lunar Knights lately and it's pretty good. It's the first game in a long time I actually leave the volume on as the music is not annoying. Colors/presentation are quite good as well.

Badger 05-24-2007 11:48 AM

This has thread has done great things for my DS selection. I'm going to Fry's later today. Have any must haves come out lately? I finally beat Castelvania DoS. How does Portrait of Ruin compare? Unless I hear of anything else I'll probably pick up the new Mario and Portrait of Ruin.

astroglide 05-24-2007 12:02 PM

portrait of ruin was entertaining, but not really close to dawn of sorrow in my book. they threw away the soul system, and i don't think the level design is nearly as good. on the upside, the two character thing works well, and the unlockable game after you beat it is excellent if you like fast, old school castlevania play. i don't regret buying or playing PoR, but i wish i had played them in reverse order.