Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   MNers - Storm of the Century (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=339360)

CrazyEyez 02-23-2007 12:25 PM

MNers - Storm of the Century

Two days ago I made a bet that we'd get less than 6" from midnight friday to midnight sunday. My remark at the time: "I should make you give me odds, but I won't."

Should I be worried?

Soul Daddy 02-23-2007 12:37 PM

Re: MNers - Storm of the Century

Is there a forecast that is calling for any less than 5 in that period? Cities, I assume. Yeah, I'd think you should be worried.

Skoob 02-23-2007 12:48 PM

I've heard forecasts ranging anywhere from 6 to 18 inches.

Many weather-dorks are saying the heavy stuff starts Saturday into Sunday and are predicting the storm will "stall."

But it all depends on the temps. If they don't drop, it will be all rain.

CrazyEyez 02-23-2007 02:15 PM

From what I've seen, it looks like one of those deals where the cities will be right on the edge. We could get 16" and st cloud gets 2. Or we could get 2 and mankato gets 16".

Patrick del Poker Grande 02-23-2007 02:19 PM

How exactly are you measuring? If the snowfall goes into Monday, how are you going to know how much fell before midnight? The news probably just reports totals for the whole storm or for "overnight," etc. Are you just measuring in your yard and comparing the end depth to the start depth?

CrazyEyez 02-23-2007 02:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How exactly are you measuring? If the snowfall goes into Monday, how are you going to know how much fell before midnight? The news probably just reports totals for the whole storm or for "overnight," etc.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, it could get ugly. A third party threw out "midnight friday to midnight sunday?" and we were like "sure." It may require emails to Sven Sungaard.

absoludicrous 02-23-2007 02:22 PM

I'm heading to Mankato this evening...

[img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

http://ia.ec.imdb.com/media/imdb/01/I/95/45/43m.jpg

Skoob 02-25-2007 04:38 PM

So, um, how much did you lose?

Soul Daddy 02-25-2007 04:39 PM

That avatar is revolting.

icepick 02-25-2007 05:09 PM

Canturbury was a gold mine yesterday. Lots of people who had been playing since Friday night who didn't want to dig their cars out.

I got stuck on my way home 50' from my garage. Took an hour to get out.

buriedbeds 02-25-2007 05:22 PM

Alright, I keep checking this thread to find out, but no one has stated it yet: where is MN?? Clearly it is not Minnesota, nor montana, as both end in a's and therefore read oddly when you add an "er."

-bb.

rubbrband 02-25-2007 05:25 PM

I am guessing Maine. Where do you live in Maine OP?

buriedbeds 02-25-2007 05:27 PM

Mainers? That's just as weird!

-bb.

deadbody 02-25-2007 05:31 PM

MN is Minnesota. I have shoveled my driveway and walk 3 times so far. Damn crap just keeps falling

Thythe 02-25-2007 05:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
MN is Minnesota. I have shoveled my driveway and walk 3 times so far. Damn crap just keeps falling

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, it's definitely Minnesota. In a sentence, it would be Minnesotan, but that doesn't abbreviate very well. MNans doesn't look quite right.

buriedbeds 02-25-2007 05:37 PM

I thought it had to be Minnesota, but MNers? Come on. Especially when you've got a name as cool as Minnesotans, which rolls gently off the tongue.

As punishment, you are all now Minnesotaers. And I am hating on you (see my location). It's a terrible punishment.

-bb.

ImAKing 02-25-2007 05:46 PM

yea i just got done workin a 13 hr snow plowing shift

pulse 02-25-2007 05:49 PM

woooooooo, theres a 4 ft high pile of snow at the end of my driveway.

lippy 02-25-2007 06:06 PM

I was so disappointed. We barely got 8 inches. I was ready for '91 Halloween all over again.

neuroman 02-25-2007 06:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Are you the Plow King?

CrazyEyez 02-25-2007 06:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So, um, how much did you lose?

[/ QUOTE ]
I panicked on Friday and hedged by taking an equal amount on "over 10 inches." So I was basically laying 2:1 that it WOULDN'T be 6-10. I realized 30 min later that I had taken a mildly bad bet and turned it into a horrendous one. I haven't seen the official numbers yet, but it looks to me like we were right in the wheelhouse. We're going with whatever total they announce for the weekend as of the 10:00 news on kare 11.

It will be a huge letdown if I tell you the actual dollar amount, so we'll say I laid 500 to win 250.

CrazyEyez 02-25-2007 06:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You obviously weren't any- [censored] -where near lakeville/farmington/apple valley saturday night.

icepick 02-25-2007 07:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was so disappointed. We barely got 8 inches. I was ready for '91 Halloween all over again.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, 8" ain't [censored]. When I went to school in the Upper Peninsula, it was pretty much like this every day from Oct-April. We'd average 250" per year.

CheckRaise 02-26-2007 11:39 AM

I'm pretty pissed off that I missed this. We don't get any snow the entire year and when we finally get a nice storm I'm in the middle of [censored] Kansas.

MEbenhoe 02-26-2007 11:47 AM

we got 2 feet over the weekend in La Crosse. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

CrazyEyez 02-28-2007 05:17 PM

Another foot is on the way.

[censored] this mother [censored] state. It's been like a year and a [censored] half since the last 60 degree day and there's nothing good on the horizon. Meanwhile my new golf clubs are [censored] rusting in the garage. Looking forward to spending 9 hours commuting to and from work tomorrow and friday.

[censored]

Soul Daddy 02-28-2007 05:20 PM

Yeah, this is my first winter in these parts. I've dealt with it pretty well to this point, but I've had enough. I'm going to be one sulky mf if my Friday afternoon flight home gets canceled.

CheckRaise 02-28-2007 07:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, this is my first winter in these parts. I've dealt with it pretty well to this point, but I've had enough. I'm going to be one sulky mf if my Friday afternoon flight home gets canceled.

[/ QUOTE ]
This has seemed liked a pretty mild winter, are you in the Twin Cities?

Soul Daddy 02-28-2007 07:29 PM

No, I'm in the sticks. I'm sure it's been mild to those who are accustomed to it, and like I said it hasn't been that bad, but it's just lasted too long and I'm ready to be done with it.

GiantWalleye 02-28-2007 07:43 PM

oooooooooofda, betting against snow living in Minnesota. Bad bet [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

ImAKing 02-28-2007 08:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Are you the Plow King?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes

ImAKing 02-28-2007 08:43 PM

I am moving outta here tho i cannot handle another winter, going to Southern Cali for school i hope next year so i dont have to be in this snow anymore

whiskeytown 02-28-2007 10:40 PM

Round 2 is just starting - another 9-12 inches expected -

this time I'm just gonna shovel every 12 hrs - much easier to move 3 inches 3 times then that whole 9-12 inch SOB

RB

entertainme 03-01-2007 01:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Halloween '91 was an awesome storm. I'm still pleased with myself for making it home in that one.

I'm a couple hours out of the cities. They are closing schools here at noon. Sent the employee home already. This is one of the few times it bites to work from home since I don't have an excuse to bug out from work. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

On the other hand, the hubby has a John Deere tractor with snowthrower and we have a son with a good shovel arm. I stocked up at the grocery store last night. No long commute to deal with. I'm good and ready to hibernate. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

lippy 03-01-2007 02:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Round 2 is just starting - another 9-12 inches expected -

this time I'm just gonna shovel every 12 hrs - much easier to move 3 inches 3 times then that whole 9-12 inch SOB

RB

[/ QUOTE ]

My dad has a 6HP snow blower. I do my slightly long driveway in 5-10 minutes. It's fantastic and really fun.

absoludicrous 03-01-2007 02:15 PM

This sucks.

CrazyEyez 03-01-2007 02:24 PM

It's entirely possible we won't see green grass in 2007.

entertainme 03-01-2007 02:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This sucks.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
It's entirely possible we won't see green grass in 2007.

[/ QUOTE ]

C'mon, buck up you guys. We've had wimpy winters for a couple years. I'm no snow lover or anything, but March dumps are not unexpected and I promise spring will eventually come.

I do empathize with anyone who will spend a couple hours idling in their car on the freeways today.

The Poker Mom

Skoob 03-01-2007 02:31 PM

My employer just announced all offices statewide are closing at 2 today. They advised everyone to complete their timesheets today (due tomorrow) in the event they are closed tomorrow.

SNOW DAY!!!

Mrs. Utah 03-01-2007 02:34 PM

I thought that March is historically the snowiest month in Minnesota.

Harry is loving this [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

http://img71.imageshack.us/img71/92/harrysnowft4.jpg