Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Looks like SD is screwed, Norv new coach (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=335799)

capone0 02-19-2007 12:54 PM

Looks like SD is screwed, Norv new coach

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2771126

Good luck with Norv. He's 1 hell of an OC, but has never been a great coach.

HajiShirazu 02-19-2007 12:55 PM

Re: Looks like SD is screwed, Norv new coach

8-8.

DrewDevil 02-19-2007 01:09 PM

Amazed that this guy keeps getting HC jobs.

capone0 02-19-2007 01:09 PM

58-83 record. It's retarded that he got another one. Wow, he was the OC with Irvin, Aikman and Smith. That's hard to win with.

kyleb 02-19-2007 01:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
58-83 record. It's retarded that he got another one. Wow, he was the OC with Irvin, Aikman and Smith. That's hard to win with.

[/ QUOTE ]

To be fair, he's the HC with Tomlinson, Rivers, and Gates now.

firstyearclay 02-19-2007 01:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

To be fair, he's the HC with Tomlinson, Rivers, and Gates now.

[/ QUOTE ]

They should of taken the "young" guy approach. LT is going to get this dbag just like he did Marty.

FYC

MacGuyV 02-19-2007 01:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah but he doesn't choke in the playoffs [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Ted Cottrell to be the DC...his defense in Buffalo was good but my feeling is that was W. Phillips' D based on Cottrell's last 2 debacles in NYJ & Minnesota.

tendog 02-19-2007 01:45 PM

exactly, they are just trying to keep the status quo. and hiring norv is about the best way to do it. he developed the offense they used now and the gm probably beleives they can hire a strong 3 - 4 d coordinator.

This is about the only job in the league he is an ideal fit for.

I think the last thing san diego wanted to do was bring in an unproven guy or bring in someone who would raidcally change their systems.

As long as they just play at the level of last year they are definitely one of the superbowl favorites. so why mess with things?

Not that Marty was a bad coach but psychologically him being gone might help in the playoffs.

ThaSaltCracka 02-19-2007 02:02 PM

Yeah I forsee horrid things in SD next year, especially with Phillips leaving. Sucks that LT is going to be wasted there, much like LJ in KC.

Borden 02-19-2007 02:19 PM

Go Broncos

TheRover 02-19-2007 02:57 PM

Oakland's offense rank:

2003-24
2004-16-Turner
2005-13-Turner
2006-32

San Fran:

2005-32
2006-22-Turner

Minnesota defense:

2003-21
2004-32-Cottrell
2005-19-Cottrell
2006-4

NYJ:

2001-11
2002-26-Cottrell
2003-29-Cottrell
2004-11

Buffalo:

1998-16-Cottrell (HC Wade Phillips)
1999-8-Cottrell (HC Wade Phillips)
2000-6-Cottrell (HC Wade Phillips)
2001-27

capone0 02-19-2007 03:00 PM

What was SD last year. Both squads were near the top of the league. I just put that in the header b/c of Norv's history with teams. He has been 1 hell of a OC, just never really did very well as a HC.

PITTM 02-19-2007 03:04 PM

as a 49ers fan, this upsets me.

TheRover 02-19-2007 03:05 PM

O-2
D-14

Someone should check and make sure I have the right years. I think Turner gets somewhat of a bum rap and Cottrell is garbage.

capone0 02-19-2007 03:13 PM

Norv is 59-83-1 as a HC. He's had 2 winning years (3 if you count the year he was fired when they were 7-6) and he's won 1 playoff game in 9 years coaching.

hauchen 02-19-2007 03:23 PM

[img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Bye bye norv

TheRover 02-19-2007 03:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Norv is 59-83-1 as a HC. He's had 2 winning years (3 if you count the year he was fired when they were 7-6) and he's won 1 playoff game in 9 years coaching.

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm aware

MacGuyV 02-19-2007 03:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
O-2
D-14

Someone should check and make sure I have the right years. I think Turner gets somewhat of a bum rap and Cottrell is garbage.

[/ QUOTE ]

What are the rankings based on? The Bills D was #6 and #1 in yardage in 98/99...
I agree though; the Jets & Vikings D got worse under TC with basically the same players.

chaseUdown 02-19-2007 04:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
as a 49ers fan, this upsets me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would bet so. Look for Frank Gore's production to take a hit. It could hurt Alex Smith as well if a new system is going to be put in.

Turner is a great OC, so their offense will probably be in the top 5 without a doubt. LT will probably have a lot of touches again as Turner loves to throw passes to the backs and ride them, just look at Gore last year and Lamont Jordan the year before. They probably should make the playoffs but as many have said before Turner hasn't had much success as a head coach.

SuperUberBob 02-19-2007 04:21 PM

10-6 at best

TheRover 02-19-2007 04:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
O-2
D-14

[/ QUOTE ]

What are the rankings based on? The Bills D was #6 and #1 in yardage in 98/99...
I agree though; the Jets & Vikings D got worse under TC with basically the same players.

[/ QUOTE ]

DVOA

edit: fair or not, I'm tempted to give most of Buffalo's decency as credit to Phillips.

Wondercall 02-19-2007 04:58 PM

I'm curious as to what SD fans think about this.

FUJItheFISH 02-19-2007 05:25 PM

i wanted rivera. seems head strong and could lead a talented team. im okay with norv, but not excited.

Borden 02-19-2007 05:27 PM

If SD was smart they'd sign Rivera as their D cord since the Bears are going to let him walk

lastchance 02-19-2007 05:29 PM

Yar to the above.

Some team can pick up Marty and Ron Rivera right now, while Norv Turner has a job. How ridiculous is that?

capone0 02-19-2007 05:33 PM

I'm not sure of Rivera's history but doesn't he run the 4-3 cover 2 in Chicago. Doesn't SD have the personnel to run the 3-4 D. I bet they look for a DC that has that type of experience. I don't think Norv has much experience with that type of D.

PokerFink 02-19-2007 06:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure of Rivera's history but doesn't he run the 4-3 cover 2 in Chicago. Doesn't SD have the personnel to run the 3-4 D.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup.

Edit: What you said below this is (probably) correct as well. It woulden't make much sense for SD to swith to a 4-3.

capone0 02-19-2007 06:06 PM

I doubt they would switch right now. Not with Merriman being the prototypical 3-4 OLB and Jamal Williams being the prototypical nose tackle.

Borden 02-19-2007 06:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure of Rivera's history but doesn't he run the 4-3 cover 2 in Chicago. Doesn't SD have the personnel to run the 3-4 D.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup.

[/ QUOTE ]

this has been talked about before i believe in regards to both Dallas/SD. Rivera has exp running 3-4 apparantly.
Personally I'd hire Mike S or Rivera over TC

bernie 02-19-2007 06:18 PM

To all those that liked the firing of Schottenheimer, how do you like it now?

Gotta love that track record of 58-82-1 with one playoff appearance in nine seasons.

This is what you get when you fire a HC after a 14-2 season. And deservedly so.

b

Sluss 02-19-2007 06:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure of Rivera's history but doesn't he run the 4-3 cover 2 in Chicago. Doesn't SD have the personnel to run the 3-4 D. I bet they look for a DC that has that type of experience. I don't think Norv has much experience with that type of D.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I'm not mistaken Merriman had something like 50 tackles last year. He is much much closer to a speed rushing defensive end than an outside linebacker. Phillips would be a monster as a WSLB in a cover two. The personel in a 3-4 and a cover two 4-3, while asked to do different things, are the same types of players. Not that AJ Smith would ever allow this in his dictatorship.

MacGuyV 02-19-2007 06:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If I'm not mistaken Merriman had something like 50 tackles last year. He is much much closer to a speed rushing defensive end than an outside linebacker. Phillips would be a monster as a WSLB in a cover two. The personel in a 3-4 and a cover two 4-3, while asked to do different things, are the same types of players. Not that AJ Smith would ever allow this in his dictatorship.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, they're really only a 3-4 team because that's what Wade Phillips has always coached.

bottomset 02-19-2007 06:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
O-2
D-14

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

DVOA

edit: fair or not, I'm tempted to give most of Buffalo's decency as credit to Phillips.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pat Williams ftw

TheRover 02-19-2007 06:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Pat Williams HOF?

[/ QUOTE ]

though he was still there in 2001-02 when they sucked. Phillips wasn't.

does anyone remember Buffalo's post-Phillips d-coordinators? I am too lazy to look it up.

MacGuyV 02-19-2007 07:20 PM

Jerry Gray

Miss Pink 02-19-2007 07:51 PM

I was pulling for Rivera to be head coach as I am somewhat connected to him.
He is my English teachers' husbands college roomate, so that would have been cool.

Jeff W 02-19-2007 08:21 PM

Not my favorite hiring, but w/e. You guys overestimate the effect a HC has on a teams expected wins.

JoseGonzlez 02-19-2007 08:33 PM

In the right situation the head coach can make a huge difference. In this case though i think san diego is alot better off with a safe choice that wont change their team much as opposed to bringing in someone that will change their systems.

aditya 02-19-2007 11:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Not my favorite hiring, but w/e. You guys overestimate the effect a HC has on a teams expected wins.

[/ QUOTE ]

So true. With the talent on this team, they're not suddenly going to go 8-8 or be a losing team. I agree that they're not gonna repeat 14-2 (but a lot of you didn't either cause they caught a lot of breaks in the season.) However, gameplaning gets so important in the playoffs that even the most talented of teams can lose (as happenned this year.) If they hire a good D coordinator, they'll be fine.

TheRover 02-19-2007 11:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If they hire a good D coordinator, they'll be fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

oops.