Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Marty Schottenheimer fired (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=330424)

niss 02-12-2007 10:11 PM

Marty Schottenheimer fired

ESPN reporting that the Chargers fired Marty Schottenheimer. Holy crap.

benza13 02-12-2007 10:13 PM

Re: Marty Schottenheimer fired

Timing is so strange on this if its true, wonder what their plans are.

SuperUberBob 02-12-2007 10:13 PM

Beat me to it. Was just about to post it.

So, who would be a good for for the HC position?

ZBTHorton 02-12-2007 10:22 PM

Wow. This is so shocking. What in the world are they thinking? They wait for their OC's and DC's leave for other positions...then fire a decent coach....super weird.

niss 02-12-2007 10:23 PM

They must have had a very interesting coaching/front office meeting recently, at which there was significant disagreement between the coach and management.

BEP 02-12-2007 10:24 PM

So retarded to fire him this late. Both Phillips and Cameron have Head coaching jobs... Who else is out there? The Chargers from 2004-2009 will go down as one of the larger wastes of team talent ever.

anatta 02-12-2007 10:26 PM

This is fantastic news. Without the coordinators, it had to happen. Marty on his own, with more power, forget it. GM is the best, Bolts will get a good one. I don't know who's out there, but this is an attractive job, the most talented team in the league and all, not often you can come in and compete for the prize right away.

Suigin406 02-12-2007 10:28 PM

wonder y they waited so long...maybe to ensure he wouldn't go to a rival??

oh well, they lost out on some candidates, who else is out there??

SonnyJay 02-12-2007 10:28 PM

The current speculation by PFT is that they had a wink-wink deal in place with Pete Carroll. Got a recruiting class in place and then head a few towns over.

Again, baseless speculation, but it's a possibility.

JasonK 02-12-2007 10:28 PM

I love the brevity of the AP story:

SAN DIEGO - The San Diego Chargers, who went an NFL-best 14-2 bu lost in the divisional playoffs to New England, fired coach Marty Schottenheimer on Monday night.

KobeStopper 02-12-2007 10:30 PM

Holy crap!

Well, Marty has been fighting with management for years.

In a perfect world, Marty would have taken over the Dolphins and Cam Cameron would have got the Chargers job.

In a related story, Dan Reeves said he is interested in coaching again...

Suigin406 02-12-2007 10:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Holy crap!

Well, Marty has been fighting with management for years.

In a perfect world, Marty would have taken over the Dolphins and Cam Cameron would have got the Chargers job.

In a related story, Dan Reeves said he is interested in coaching again...

[/ QUOTE ]

no kidding, who wouldn't want to coach the talent on this team??

BadBoyBenny 02-12-2007 10:38 PM

What talented 3-4 people are still around? Who will be their D-Coordinator? His old apprentice Bill Cowher would be funny.

Suigin406 02-12-2007 10:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What talented 3-4 people are still around? Who will be their D-Coordinator? His old apprentice Bill Cowher would be funny.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, imagine that, though i think steelers fans would kill him first...

BadBoyBenny 02-12-2007 10:43 PM

I'm a Steeler fan and would rather we got a draft pick or two for him than wait two years and see him sign somewhere without compensation.

MyTurn2Raise 02-12-2007 10:47 PM

Pete Carroll?

BadBoyBenny 02-12-2007 10:50 PM

I'm pretty sure they must have someone in mind. With the Rooney rule we won't be able to find out who it is right away. Although a big name interview would make it obvious.

Nick B. 02-12-2007 10:51 PM

Why would anybody want the job? 14-2 is a tough act to follow. Unless you win the superbowl you will get criticized.

Case Closed 02-12-2007 10:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The current speculation by PFT is that they had a wink-wink deal in place with Pete Carroll. Got a recruiting class in place and then head a few towns over.

Again, baseless speculation, but it's a possibility.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dear sweet jesus that would be awesome.

anatta 02-12-2007 10:54 PM

AJ Smith's decision making has been great, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

MacGuyV 02-12-2007 10:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know who's out there, but this is an attractive job, the most talented team in the league and all, not often you can come in and compete for the prize right away.

[/ QUOTE ]

And that's all in an awesome city where there isn't much media/fan pressure. Sweet job indeed.

anatta 02-12-2007 10:56 PM

Bob's Big Boy is out there!

NT! 02-12-2007 10:59 PM

i'll do it for 50k and two charger cheerleaders, hit me up dawg

KobeStopper 02-12-2007 11:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
AJ Smith's decision making has been great, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, that Drew Brees guy sucked. I am glad they decided not to franchise him, then trade him. That was way cool to let him go away for nothing in return.

SuperUberBob 02-12-2007 11:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, that Drew Brees guy sucked. I am glad they decided not to franchise him, then trade him. That was way cool to let him go away for nothing in return.

[/ QUOTE ]

That remains to be seen. Rivers could eclipse Brees when he reaches his prime.

FUJItheFISH 02-12-2007 11:13 PM

a thousand hoorays. later marty.

Kneel B4 Zod 02-12-2007 11:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Pete Carroll?

[/ QUOTE ]

god I hope so

Kneel B4 Zod 02-12-2007 11:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why would anybody want the job? 14-2 is a tough act to follow. Unless you win the superbowl you will get criticized.

[/ QUOTE ]

some people actually want to be NFL head coaches, hard to believe

Needle77 02-12-2007 11:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank God there isn't a salary cap in football either. They could franchise Brees and then ask a team to not only trade 2 first round picks for him then pay him top 5 money. Because that is what happens in the NFL in the salary cap era.

TheRover 02-12-2007 11:17 PM

ahahahaaaahahahaha

they waited until all the other jobs were taken.

ahaahahahahhaaaa

this is so. awesome.

anatta 02-12-2007 11:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Um, hello? PHILIP RIVERS IS 6'5'' WITH AN ARM LIKE A CANNON. POCKET PRESENCE DANG IT.

TheRover 02-12-2007 11:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, having someone nearly as good and much younger is terrible.

anatta 02-12-2007 11:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ahahahaaaahahahaha

they waited until all the other jobs were taken.

ahaahahahahhaaaa

this is so. awesome.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh yeah, well obv you've never heard of a little somebody named NORV FRIGGIN' TURNER! (edit oh it just occured to me that you might me making fun of Marty and that all the jobs are taken for him...I don't get that though cause nobody is gonna hire that guy, his time has past.)

TheRover 02-12-2007 11:22 PM

hmm? i think you misunderstood. i was not being sarcastic.

benza13 02-12-2007 11:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Pete Carroll?

[/ QUOTE ]

god I hope so

[/ QUOTE ]

Man, seeing Pete come back to the NFL to someone else's team this time, especially such a huge contender, would be fantastic.

Careful what you wish for Chargers fans.

anatta 02-12-2007 11:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, I editted it but still dont think I get it. Okay its awesome to wait until all the other jobs are taken so they have leverage on prospective coaches or what?

duracell 02-12-2007 11:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Denny Green FTW!

Honestly, they did wait WAY too long. Still, I have a feeling that this won't be a great class of rookie coaches (but I guess comparing it to last year wouldn't be fair). Tomlin I think has decent potential, but he wouldn't have been the right fit in San Diego anyway. They definitely messed up letting both their coordinators go, though.

Case Closed 02-12-2007 11:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Pete Carroll?

[/ QUOTE ]

god I hope so

[/ QUOTE ]

Man, seeing Pete come back to the NFL to someone else's team this time, especially such a huge contender, would be fantastic.

Careful what you wish for Chargers fans.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought he was a decent NFL coach. Him leaving USC would thrill me to no end.

TheRover 02-12-2007 11:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, I editted it but still dont think I get it. Okay its awesome to wait until all the other jobs are taken so they have leverage on prospective coaches or what?

[/ QUOTE ]

because it totally screws marty for at least a year. in my mind AJ waited until now entirely to screw marty. i don't care if this is accurate, this is my fantasy.

Oh, damn, they just read Spanos' statement on ESPN news. [censored] destroys Marty.

kidcolin 02-12-2007 11:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

some people actually want to be NFL head coaches, hard to believe

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah those multi-million dollar contracts can be rough, too