Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Video Games (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=77)
-   -   Wii Virtual Console updates (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=330018)

gharp 02-12-2007 02:06 PM

Wii Virtual Console updates

I thought it would be good to consolidate these into one thread that someone can update on Mondays when these games become available. You can always check the News feed here for updates.

Additions for the week of 2/12/2006:

Kirby's Adventure (NES)
Ice Climber (NES)
Kid Icarus (NES)

Am I the only person who wanted to see Kid Icarus more than any other game for the NES?

Red Lion 02-12-2007 03:35 PM

Re: Wii Virtual Console updates

How much do those cost?

Wheatsauce 02-12-2007 03:38 PM

Kid Icarus...sweet. I'm going to download that fo sho. I don't think I've ever beaten it without using the password that just takes you to the last level with all of the items.

I guess they are going with a Smash Bros. theme this week.

Soul Daddy 02-12-2007 03:48 PM

I just remember Kid Icarus being insanely difficult. I'm not sure I want the temptation to destroy a controller at this point, but once I finish SMW I'm going to be debating it.

gharp 02-12-2007 05:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How much do those cost?

[/ QUOTE ]
The NES games are all 500 points ($5)

Valsuvious 02-12-2007 05:24 PM

Kid Icarus was one of the only early games that I never was able to play. No one I knew had it, the video store that I went to never had it for rent, and I just never remembered it when I was out bargain shopping [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

billyjex 02-12-2007 07:21 PM

kid icarus is a sick game.

however i wish they realease more games more quickly :/

i guess it does have the proper effect of me buying more of games i dont spend that much time on

DukeSucks 02-12-2007 07:32 PM

I used to love Kid Icarus. I remember I let a kid on my bus borrow it and he wouldn't ever bring it back. I had to walk several neighborhoods over (a lot for a kid) and got his mom to give it back to me.

Buzz-cp 02-13-2007 12:52 AM

i can't believe Kid Icarus is 20 years old OMG! I spent lots of hours playing that.

Needle77 02-13-2007 03:03 AM

Considering I've already invested 36 dollars into VC I'll only be buying Metroid, SMB(Lost levels because I never played them), Super Mario RPG, and Punch Out. I'll consider the star fox for 64, but I didn't like it anywhere near as much as the SNES version.

I guess the point of my post is, these games have been announced that VC will eventually carry them. Is there any time table at all on them?

Also, people with more knowledge than me, the companies that own Shining Force 2(Atlus??) and Dragon Warrior 4(???), is there a possibility that they give Nintendo the go to sell these?

youcanhaveitall 02-13-2007 07:18 AM

How good is Kirby? And does it resembles Donkey and Diddy Kong?

Dazarath 02-13-2007 07:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I guess the point of my post is, these games have been announced that VC will eventually carry them. Is there any time table at all on them?

[/ QUOTE ]

AFAIK, there is not. Sometimes the games aren't even annouced until they are released. Other times they are announced anywhere from a day before, to a few days before. In the US, the VC games are added every Monday at 9am PST (12pm EST). I usually check the GameFAQs message board to see if there are updates on the VC games because the posters over there always post it the moment the news is available.

youcanhaveitall 02-13-2007 09:39 AM

NOOOOOOO I just realised that theese 3 games hasnt been released in europe yet. Anyone know when they will?

Buzz-cp 02-13-2007 11:43 AM

I don't see metroid? Is it only in Europe? I wonder if it will run better on the wii? The last level where you are fighting the the jellyfish and the big boss (jellyfish/brain thing too i think) it would always slow down enormously with NES.

Xhad 02-13-2007 04:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How good is Kirby? And does it resembles Donkey and Diddy Kong?

[/ QUOTE ]

Kirby doesn't resemble any of the DK games to my knowledge (except the concept of "most levels have a secret and you have to find all the secrets to get 100% of the game completed"), but it is one of the last games released on the NES, and one of the best.

youcanhaveitall 02-13-2007 04:56 PM

thanks Xhad. Does anyone know when it will be released in Europe, or where you can find a releaselist of upcoming games? Tried to look at Nintendos website, but were unable to find any information.

chuckleslovakian 02-19-2007 06:11 PM

* Donkey Kong™ Country (Super NES®, 1-2 players, 800 Wii Points)
* The Legend of Kage (NES®, 1-2 players, 500 Wii Points)
* New Adventure Island (TurboGrafx16, 1 player, 600 Wii Points)
* Streets of Rage™ (Sega Genesis, 1-2 players, 800 Wii Points)

Wow, I hate you sega for releasing Streets of Rage. Though I suppose it makes sense that they want people to buy the inferior original before they release Streets of Rage 2 at some later date.

Dante1126 02-20-2007 01:04 AM

I soooooooooo can't wait to get my Wii. I can't believe Kid Icaurus never got an update/sequel (besides on handheld.) It has to be the most wanted, yet ignored franchise of all time.

Soul Daddy 02-23-2007 06:02 PM

Word is that Ocarina will be available to the US this Monday. While this is obviously great, don't we have enough Zelda titles to satisfy us for the time being? All I want is Metroid/Super Metroid. Are they planning on waiting until the fall to release them to coincide with MP3?

KRANTZ 02-23-2007 06:03 PM

if they get super metroid and some rpgs ill actually take the time to set virtual console up

wonderwes 02-24-2007 03:25 AM

Super Metroid and Tetris are on my high list. Maybe they can also bring back the old Super Scope games.

chuckleslovakian 02-26-2007 06:11 PM

Ocarina of Time (N64)
Bio-Hazard Battle (GEN)
Chew Man Fu (TG16)

Needle77 02-26-2007 07:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ocarina of Time (N64)
Bio-Hazard Battle (GEN)
Chew Man Fu (TG16)

[/ QUOTE ]

Like it was noted earlier in the thread, did nintendo really feel like we needed another Zelda game for VC? We already had 3 on VC and TP for the Wii.
I'm still waiting on Super Mario RPG / SMB 3.

4 High 02-26-2007 08:11 PM

I would kill for Super Mario RPG.

Also they need to get working on General Chaos and Urban Strike. Mmkay? Thanks.

nolanfan34 02-26-2007 08:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Ocarina of Time (N64)
Bio-Hazard Battle (GEN)
Chew Man Fu (TG16)

[/ QUOTE ]

Like it was noted earlier in the thread, did nintendo really feel like we needed another Zelda game for VC? We already had 3 on VC and TP for the Wii.
I'm still waiting on Super Mario RPG / SMB 3.

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't played Ocarina before, so I'm pretty excited that it has come out for VC. I would bet there are a lot of people out there like me who bought the system almost solely for TP, and now are excited to play OOT. Will the classic controller work for it, does anyone know?

4 High 02-26-2007 08:28 PM

Why wouldnt the classic controller work? It was made for VC games.

Also i dont think his point was that it shouldnt come out, just that there is already Zelda material for all, even those wanting to go back after TP. They could have done something else for now.

JuntMonkey 02-26-2007 10:04 PM

I heard N64 games are poorly emulated on the Wii. Any comments?

Wheatsauce 02-26-2007 10:15 PM

The graphics on Mario 64 are better on Wii than they were on the 64 for whatever reason...Mario Kart seems pretty much the same to me, except you can't save ghost files to a memory card. Other than that, I haven't noticed anything different about the games, other than it feeling a little uncomfortable to play 64 games w/o a 64 controller.

gharp 02-26-2007 11:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I heard N64 games are poorly emulated on the Wii. Any comments?

[/ QUOTE ]
I've only played Mario 64 but it was exactly as I remembered it.

Other games seem to have perfect emulation too -- to a fault. You'll still get slowdowns in Kid Icarus, for example, when there's a bunch of bad guys on the screen.

4 High 02-27-2007 12:44 AM

I had never played Kid Icarus as a kid so i got that. Pretty fun game so far, but is it me or is this game harder then most other NES games from the same era?

Also when you guys buy Wii Points, do you just get 5000, or get like 2000 to stop yourself from buying games you might not play again? I guess it all depends on your self control, but im still interested in what other plays buy.

Needle77 02-27-2007 02:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Also when you guys buy Wii Points, do you just get 5000, or get like 2000 to stop yourself from buying games you might not play again? I guess it all depends on your self control, but im still interested in what other plays buy.

[/ QUOTE ]

I originally was given a 2000 pts cards for X-mas and since then have made sure I only bought in 1000pts at time.

Games I've bought:
SMB
Legend of Zelda
Donkey Kong
Gradius
Legend of Zelda LTTP
Super Mario World

Since then I said I was only going to buy SMRPG, SMB3, and possibly Metroid.

Wish list: Dragon Warrior 4, Shining Force 1 and 2, Tecmo Super Bowl, Punch Out.

4 High 02-27-2007 11:35 AM

Yea im definitely going to get Link To The Past, as i was a Genesis kid.

youcanhaveitall 02-27-2007 11:44 AM

I buy 2000 at a time, otherwise I end up buying games that I dont have time to play.
Right now I have around 7-8 of the essentials VG games, and so far I have only had time to play Donkey Kong and Mario Kart.

gharp 02-27-2007 12:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I had never played Kid Icarus as a kid so i got that. Pretty fun game so far, but is it me or is this game harder then most other NES games from the same era?

[/ QUOTE ]
Gamespot mentioned the difficulty in their review and I'm inclined to agree, even though KI was one of the games I loved the most growing up. But as I'm playing through it again, it does seem like some of the level designs are just mean.

Soul Daddy 02-27-2007 01:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yea im definitely going to get Link To The Past, as i was a Genesis kid.

[/ QUOTE ]
I finished it over the weekend. I was a Genesis owner as well, and had only played this game when I rented a SNES for a week, and then again on a ROM a couple of years ago. Even then, I considered it my favorite game ever. The VC version only solidified that opinion.

Playing Ocarina now, and while fun and more immersive, I'm already of the opinion that it has not held up nearly as well as LttP. Probably because its play has been refined by WW and TP, where LttP is the pinnacle of that style.

4 High 02-28-2007 08:23 PM

Does anyone know if you can use the VC controller for GC games? I got a VC controller because the GC one doesnt work for all VC games, and im going to be pissed if i need to get another controller.

Soul Daddy 02-28-2007 09:01 PM

No, you need a GC controller for GC games.

4 High 02-28-2007 11:38 PM

Do i also need a GC Memory card? Or can it store to the Wii or SD?

Soul Daddy 03-01-2007 12:20 AM

Yeah, you also need a GC memory card. I imagine if I hadn't owned a Cube these developments would have pissed me off as well.

4 High 03-01-2007 12:39 AM

Ugh, i found Smash Bros and Metroid for like 20 bucks total on clearance, and i was like sweet this rules. Add in a memory card and Wavebird and its like buying a full priced game. ARGH.

The Wavebird will work with the GC right?