Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   STT Strategy (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   OT: I quit (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=329848)

pineapple888 02-12-2007 08:33 AM

OT: I quit

OK, I was going to wait until tomorrow to make this post, but since I called some doucheb*g a "punk b!tch" in the [censored] thread, I better go ahead and do this now.

I'm done with online poker.

Some [most?] of you think I must suck. A few of you know better.

The bottom line is, that somebody has to be on the a$$ end of the bell curve, and it just so happens to be me.

I thought I could rebuild at 50NL, but it was not to be.

It's funny, because somebody posted yesterday in the µNL forum, who had made 5 ptBB at 50NL over 100K hands, and he had virtually identical stats as myself. I mean, it was really within 1% on 100 different Poker Tracker stats, totally freaky.

But he also had a 30K hand break-even streak. Which I now seem to be in the middle of myself. And it's simply gotten beyond the breaking point.

So, I'm done.

Thanks to Irieguy, SkipperBob, Dominic, SlimPickens, StupidSucker, JacKnight, Keith, and anyone else I might be forgetting, who have helped me out personally in Vegas.

Thanks also to the many, many STTF posters who have made this forum productive and fun over the last couple of years.

To the three doucheb*ags, die in a grease fire.

Everyone else, I hope things go your way in the coming months and years.

I have no idea what I'm going to do next, but I'll figure something out. Or I'll die in a gutter somewhere. Whatever.

Peace out. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

skipperbob 02-12-2007 08:37 AM

Re: OT: I quit

Better Days, Peter...I'll see you soon

mmorpg 02-12-2007 08:44 AM

GL mac man

FeNeF 02-12-2007 08:46 AM

Sorry you feel that way, pineapple. I've always enjoyed your posts.

A hearty thanks for everything you've contributed to this forum. And don't be too bullheaded and proud to come back if you feel differently in a couple of weeks.

NoFobia 02-12-2007 08:49 AM

Sorry to hear. Good luck on what you decide to do next.

pineapple888 02-12-2007 08:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]

A hearty thanks for everything you've contributed to this forum. And don't be too bullheaded and proud to come back if you feel differently in a couple of weeks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks, dude. I may not quit poker completely. I can still try live play here in Vegas, or at the Commerce or wherever.

But Internet poker has killed my spirit, my health, and my bankroll. That, combined with the uncertainties around getting your money in and out, and that it's outright illegal here in Nevada, makes it pukeworthy at the moment. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

cha59 02-12-2007 10:05 AM

GL Pineapple

Webster 02-12-2007 10:13 AM

We all have felt this way at times. What people have to to is not worry about the $$ and get back to just having fun.

Heck I was a 5/10 limit player and and now playing $5 SNGs just to get poker back to being fun! Unless you are a pro that depends on the money you MUST get back to basic and play the game at a level that will make it a hobby again.

People put way to much stress on themselves.

30K Break Even is fine - your not losing money right? Sure your not WINNING but you have you forgotten WHY you play?

It's CAN'T be JUST for the money!

SuitedSixes 02-12-2007 10:19 AM

Damn, how many accounts does Indiana have?

J/K. Via con dios mi amigo.

Lori 02-12-2007 10:28 AM

Good Luck Pineapple.

Lori

Dr_Jeckyl_00 02-12-2007 10:32 AM

good luck. I hope you still will visit STTF occassionall.

ALReturnsLOL 02-12-2007 10:32 AM

sucks dude, I am sorry to see you go. I really hope that EVERYTHING in your life works out and I know you will find happiness in something. This could be a blessing in disguise, you could start the next big computer company. You could write the next great American novel. You have alot of talent and its a shame to see you put all your effort into something that makes you miserable. I have faith that you will overcome and come out better than before.

Anyway peace and good luck it was a pleasure posting with you.

Alex

The Yugoslavian 02-12-2007 11:20 AM

gl dude

Yugoslav

kevstreet 02-12-2007 11:59 AM

Best of luck to you Pineapple.

To be honest it doesn't surprise me very much. Your posts recently have been a little bit on the skeptical side towards online poker.

However, you care about the game a lot and I suspect to see you back sooner than later (hopefully)

Until then, have fun!

- Kev

BHokie1 02-12-2007 12:02 PM

GL in everything you do Pineapple

wiggs73 02-12-2007 12:13 PM

PA,

First off, I want to wish you the best of luck in whatever you pursue post-poker.

I do want to say, if not for you then for others that read this thread, that statements such as

[ QUOTE ]
The bottom line is, that somebody has to be on the a$$ end of the bell curve, and it just so happens to be me.

[/ QUOTE ]

are really detrimental to improving yourself as a poker player. And having a similar attitude towards other things in live will be just as detrimental to development.

If you are showing poor results over a large sample, it may be necessary to just humbly admit that you have a lot of room for improvement and then actively try to improve. At the very least, that will be much more productive than not trying to improve and blaming your shortcomings on blind luck. Who knows, maybe this bell curve of luck does exist and maybe you are in fact on the ass end of it, but it might be possible to improve your ROI by a couple of points anyway just from playing better.

I know that probably isn't what you want to hear right now and I hope you don't take it as some sort of personal attack. But I think very very very few people's games have reached a point where they can no longer improve (my game certainly hasn't) so as poker players, we really should focus just on improving, as any time and energy we spend focusing on things that are out of our control (that 2 outer that hit, this series of 2 outers that hit, etc.) will ultimately just take away time and energy that could be better spent by attempting to better ourselves as players.

ClockWyze 02-12-2007 12:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks, dude. I may not quit poker completely. I can still try live play here in Vegas, or at the Commerce or wherever.

But Internet poker has killed my spirit, my health, and my bankroll. That, combined with the uncertainties around getting your money in and out, and that it's outright illegal here in Nevada, makes it pukeworthy at the moment. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

"Internet poker has killed my spirit, my health, and my bankroll."

Dude, you can't blame a game for these things. You have take responsability and make some major changes.

All the best with whatever you choose to do.

Keep on rockin' in the free world.

Inyaface 02-12-2007 12:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
PA,

First off, I want to wish you the best of luck in whatever you pursue post-poker.

I do want to say, if not for you then for others that read this thread, that statements such as

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

are really detrimental to improving yourself as a poker player. And having a similar attitude towards other things in live will be just as detrimental to development.

If you are showing poor results over a large sample, it may be necessary to just humbly admit that you have a lot of room for improvement and then actively try to improve. At the very least, that will be much more productive than not trying to improve and blaming your shortcomings on blind luck. Who knows, maybe this bell curve of luck does exist and maybe you are in fact on the ass end of it, but it might be possible to improve your ROI by a couple of points anyway just from playing better.

I know that probably isn't what you want to hear right now and I hope you don't take it as some sort of personal attack. But I think very very very few people's games have reached a point where they can no longer improve (my game certainly hasn't) so as poker players, we really should focus just on improving, as any time and energy we spend focusing on things that are out of our control (that 2 outer that hit, this series of 2 outers that hit, etc.) will ultimately just take away time and energy that could be better spent by attempting to better ourselves as players.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wanted to post something like the above but wiggs did a way better job then I possibly could have.

In addition I want to say as much as you hate eagles, pudge and bigt, the effort they all put into learning the game and improving is pretty outstanding. They all use the tools avaliable to them such as 2p2 when they began playing and later aim/phone/face to face convos to really study the game and improve their abilities and they do so relentlessly (as I know since I get about 10 pms and 2 phone cals from my brothers every day about HH's and Todd puts more effot into the detalis in his game then almost anyone I know).

Since your quitting I guess this doesn't make a huge difference to you but if you do decide to come back I suggest you really open your mind and take advice from people who know more then you.

That being said good luck in whatever you do.

Pudge714 02-12-2007 12:29 PM

I have debated whether or not I should post in this thread.
Even if you don't read this because I'm on ignore this is all I will say.
1. There is some very very good advice in this thread especially from Wiggs, Clockwyze and Inyaface.
2. I wish you the best in luck in whatever you do, you seem like a decent bright guy, but poker just isn't right for you.

Jbrochu 02-12-2007 12:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Who knows, maybe this bell curve of luck does exist and maybe you are in fact on the ass end of it, but it might be possible to improve your ROI by a couple of points anyway just from playing better.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, there has to be some solid players on the good and bad luck fringes of the bell curve. For instance, according to Sklanski (as quoted by Mark Blade) a proven 100% ROI tournament player, playing tournaments that average 200 players and paying the standard 10% payout, has a 5% chance of being break-even after 160 tournaments. A proven 50% ROI player has a 6% chance of being breakeven after 1000 tournaments. (I don’t have the book in front of me and I’m quoting off the top of my head so the numbers might be slightly off but they’re close.)

So somewhere out there 6% of tournament players good enough to expect to earn 50% ROI in the long term are probably having a really difficult time understanding if they suck or if they’re just really unlucky. This doesn’t detract at all from your message that every single player can learn and improve their game and they would be better served trying to do this than focusing on how unlucky they are.

One of the famous poker authors said the thing that separates a good earner from a great earner is the great earner loses less during their downswings. Wiggs, I think moving forward with your attitude to keep striving to learn and plug leaks will help anyone lose less when they’re running bad.

Pudge714 02-12-2007 12:55 PM

Jbrochu,
Variance in MTTS> Variance in SNGs.

Jbrochu 02-12-2007 01:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Jbrochu,
Variance in MTTS> Variance in SNGs.

[/ QUOTE ]

I understand that I was just using the example to make a point and I believe the point is valid even if the numbers wouldn't look the same as similar numbers for a SnG player.

(A proven 10% ROI SnG player experiencing the worst 5% of luck over say 3000 SnG's probably also wants to kill himself.)

citanul 02-12-2007 01:14 PM

pineapple,

i hope i'm not one of the 3 douchebags (i usually am if someone is making a list, but you never know), but whatever. you seem like a good guy who has a few problems on the psychological end of poker. i hope that the clear piles of stress that online poker brings you will disolve instead of just be moved to some other part of your life. i hope you go write some cool screenplay or whatever it is you do. anyway, sorry stuff didn't work out, and all the best in the future. next time i'm in vegas hopefully we'll get a beer.

c

Quetzo 02-12-2007 01:22 PM

gl, you're my favorite poster!

TruFloridaGator 02-12-2007 01:33 PM

papple,

I definitely know a part of what you have been through and what your mindset is right now so hit me up if you ever want to talk about it. I wish you the best, you're a cool dude!

RikkiDee 02-12-2007 01:36 PM

i guess all that raping stars regulars talk back in october never really worked out for you

cakewalk 02-12-2007 01:38 PM

i'm sorry to hear that poker did not work out for you. i wish you the absolute best with whatever your next endeavor may be.

Slim Pickens 02-12-2007 01:39 PM

As long as you spend your last $12 on a haircut, you'll be fine. Hippie.

bumpking 02-12-2007 01:47 PM

Good luck with your next venture. FWIW, I wrote a program to table profile before I sit down and you're on the short list of players it doesn't like.

-BK

StregaChess 02-12-2007 02:01 PM

Dude I'm really sorry to see this post. I know you don't really know me from Adam but we've played against each other a couple times. You seemed like a solid player (compared to me!).
The most difficult battle that we often face is that which occurs in our own heads. I can’t offer you any poker advice, but I can share this. I withdrew from chess tournaments back in 1996. I had achieved most of my “realistic” goals, state championship and international rating and used that as an excuse to walk away. The truth of the matter was the psychological pressure was killing me. What use to be healthy adrenaline rush was replaced with sheer terror. What was once a strong will to win was replaced by a fear of losing. Strangely enough this fear created some of my best play if you based it on creativity and results. The lows points and depression were also at record levels. I could not sustain the pain of being motivated by fear and walked away rather than deal with getting my emotions under control. Now it has been so long the desire is gone and the fear of returning has been replaced by a general apathy towards the game. I deeply regret it. If I could DeLorean my way back in time, I’d take a break, find my center and address the inner issues so that I once again could enjoy the game. I hope with poker that if I ever find myself in the same boat or convince myself that I’m a losing player that I’ll still find a way to do this on a recreational basis. The enjoyment in life is not just winning, it’s pursuing the dream. I’m not presuming to know you at all or well enough to offer this as advice, just my experience and wish you well.

I’ve been fond of this quote for many years
“We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful what we pretend to be.” Kurt Vonnegut.

In recent months I’ve come to realize that this applys just as well to the world as it does ourselves and possibly even more so…
“The world is what we pretend it to be, so we must be careful what we pretend it to be.”

GL

recondite7 02-12-2007 02:05 PM

see ya in a month

bennies 02-12-2007 02:29 PM

gl dude, I had you right behind curtains at one point as my favourite poster

Pudge714 02-12-2007 02:34 PM

http://img252.imageshack.us/img252/8610/firstpy8.png

Pasterbator 02-12-2007 02:47 PM

hahahahahahahah

microbet 02-12-2007 03:03 PM

I'll be waiting to hear your celebrity imitations on TV or see your movies or see you back here on the forum. Best of luck with whatever you do.

z32fanatic 02-12-2007 04:17 PM

Pineapple,
Out of curiosity, do you still have any HHs from STTs? If you could send me like 5-10 that aren't preselected as being ones you get horribly screwed on, I'd like to take a look. PM me for my email.

Pasterbator 02-12-2007 04:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
hahahahahahahah

[/ QUOTE ]

for clarification, i was laughing at Pudge's pic. Not pineapple' situation.

Gl with whatever you persue in the future. You seemed like a cool guy when i met you in vegas. You'll be fine.

miami32 02-12-2007 04:41 PM

Hey man, I only met you once out in Vegas last July many but you seemed like a great guy. Best of luck to you. I'm sorry this happened. I hope everything works out for you.

billxo1b 02-12-2007 04:43 PM

good luck pineapple, you are one of my favorite posters.

http://www.hawaiiandays.com/GPM/gicl.../pineapple.jpg

AMT 02-12-2007 04:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i guess all that raping stars regulars talk back in october never really worked out for you

[/ QUOTE ]

youre an [censored]. Ban plz.

pete,

sorry bro. still would like to chill in vegas again when i get out there next, i hope everything works out. always here if you need anything.