Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   ***Official A's will win the WS in 2006 Thread*** (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=32469)

Boris 02-09-2006 01:24 PM

***Official A\'s will win the WS in 2006 Thread***

I know it's early but the computers are already picking the Oakland A's to dominate. Yankee fans should be concerned. Red Sox fans don't need to worry. It will be interesting to see how many "fans" fall off the White Sox bandwagon as the team struggles to stay above .500.

See the results HERE.

voltron. 02-09-2006 01:31 PM

Re: ***Official A\'s will win the WS in 2006 Thread***

I'll bet you 100$ the Yankees win more games than the As.

davelin 02-09-2006 01:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It will be interesting to see how many "fans" fall off the White Sox bandwagon as the team struggles to stay above .500.

[/ QUOTE ]

Didn't the computer predict the same thing last year?

Boris 02-09-2006 01:40 PM

OMG done. Free money baby. Do you want to include the playoffs too or just the regular season?

voltron. 02-09-2006 01:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
OMG done. Free money baby. Do you want to include the playoffs too or just the regular season?

[/ QUOTE ]

Just regular season. Done deal.

davelin 02-09-2006 01:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd like to get in on this [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

voltron. 02-09-2006 01:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

back off, Boris is my whale.

nolanfan34 02-09-2006 01:46 PM

Frankly, I'm really surprised that it took you as long as it did to create this thread.

P.Dirty 02-09-2006 01:54 PM

LOL

Boris 02-09-2006 01:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
LOL

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
The bad news is that the Yankees are spending $190 million or so on a 30% chance of making the playoffs...

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL!

P.Dirty 02-09-2006 02:07 PM

2005 - Missed Playoffs
2004 - Missed Playoffs
2003 - Lost ALDS in 5 vs Boston
2002 - Lost ALDS in 5 vs Minnesota
2001 - Lost ALDS in 5 vs NYY
2000 - Lost ALDS in 5 vs NYY

I think in order to make a ***Official A's will win the WS in 2006 Thread***, your team should have to win a playoff series first.

brettbrettr 02-09-2006 02:18 PM

linky

OneChipWarrior 02-09-2006 02:22 PM

The Pirates'll make it above .500?! Wooooooo!

TheRover 02-09-2006 02:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
2005 - Missed Playoffs
2004 - Missed Playoffs

I think in order to make a ***Official A's will win the WS in 2006 Thread***, your team should have to win a playoff series first.

[/ QUOTE ]

did the white sox win a playoff series in '04?

P.Dirty 02-09-2006 02:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
2005 - Missed Playoffs
2004 - Missed Playoffs

[/ QUOTE ]

did the white sox win a playoff series in '04?

[/ QUOTE ]

Did White Sox fans make a ***Official White Sox will win the WS in 2005 Thread*** in February 2005?

Boris 02-09-2006 02:45 PM

keep on hatin beetch! Yankees SUUUUUUUUUUUK

P.Dirty 02-09-2006 02:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
keep on hatin beetch! Yankees SUUUUUUUUUUUK

[/ QUOTE ]

You sure told me!

rwperu34 02-09-2006 03:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You guys missed out on the easiest money. Take the Yankees +200 to make the playoffs!

Boris 02-09-2006 03:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know you can make this claim when you pussed out of the bet last year AND you would have won. I mean you gotta take my money before calling me a whale.

tdarko 02-09-2006 04:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It will be interesting to see how many "fans" fall off the White Sox bandwagon as the team struggles to stay above .500.

[/ QUOTE ]

i think they have improved since last year. they resigned konerko who is basically the heart soul.

they signed thome, he is either going to be hit or miss but thats ok b/c if he is a hit then you have added a ton of pop in the lineup. he has really had only one bad season (last year) and it was because of back and elbow problems limiting him to 193 at bats, so he is basically a health issue (as is frank thomas BTW). if he can stay healthy he can be a force in that lineup and that division in which he has already dominated from 96-04, i think being back in the american league will put him back in that comfort zone as well. then again he could bust.

javier vasquez is a good pick up even though every NY fan will chime in and say how terrible he is etc. the rotation is now buehrle, garcia, garland, vasquez and mccarthy, which is a great rotation. vasquez is known for either having an unhittable month and then a month where he can't get anyone out (last year, 6.11 in april, 2.15 in may, 6.75 in june, 3.71 in july, 7.09 in august, 2.52 in september and october). his problems have always been "how good is he mentally," b/c his "stuff" is tremendous he just lacks the ability to control the mental aspects of the game. i think this is the year he is better than just average and gets everything back on track.

i am not saying they are going to win the WS, b/c with baseball you simply cannot predict what will happen...too much can happen over the course of the year but i do think the chi sox will be better than you think and apparently the computers as well.

Jack of Arcades 02-09-2006 04:38 PM

they didn't sign thome, they traded aaron rowand, a very good and underrated player for him.

pryor15 02-09-2006 04:46 PM

but i think tdarko's right about Vazquez, though.

New001 02-09-2006 04:57 PM

I'll get in on the $100 bet with someone if Boris doesn't want any extra free money.

mrbaseball 02-09-2006 05:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the rotation is now buehrle, garcia, garland, vasquez and mccarthy,

[/ QUOTE ]

McCarthy is headed for the pen with Contreras as the number 1 starter. Unless we have a deal. A trade could easily happen but having too many starters isn't a bad thing either. They were very lucky to have only used 6 starters all season last year due to only minor injuries with Hernandez and McCarthy filling in for him. If the staff stays healthy again they will contend again.

Jack of Arcades 02-10-2006 03:03 AM

I like Javy a good deal. his home runs are clearly his biggest problem but he's a lot better than his ERA indicated last year IMO.

tdarko 02-10-2006 03:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
they didn't sign thome, they traded aaron rowand, a very good and underrated player for him.

[/ QUOTE ]

sorry, i used the wrong wording. i agree rowand was very underrated and that really showed in the playoffs as well.

i still think that if thome can stay healthy that he could put up numbers that rowand simply cannot (though rowand was decent defensively). the key word is like always "if" he stays healthy, if not they will be missing rowand eh?

sublime 02-10-2006 05:07 AM

(though rowand was decent defensively).

far more than decent, he put up a +35 UZR in center the last two years (best in the majors afaik).

davelin 02-10-2006 10:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'll get in on the $100 bet with someone if Boris doesn't want any extra free money.

[/ QUOTE ]

To be fair I think I was second in line [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

Jack of Arcades 02-10-2006 11:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]

far more than decent, he put up a +35 UZR in center the last two years (best in the majors afaik).

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course that's almost sure to decline but it's still projected to be very good. IMO the phils got a very good deal.

sublime 02-10-2006 12:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course that's almost sure to decline but it's still projected to be very good. IMO the phils got a very good deal.

[/ QUOTE ]

ehh, hes only 28 so it may not be that much a decline. however age coupled with almost probable regression to the mean and i agree with you. either way, hes top notch with leather.

i am baffled as to why the white sox made this deal. granted thomas isnt worth 3.5m, but why not take a flier on a guy like piazza etc and hold on to a very solid up the middle guy?

davelin 02-10-2006 12:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

ehh, hes only 28 so it may not be that much a decline. however age coupled with almost probable regression to the mean and i agree with you. either way, hes top notch with leather.

i am baffled as to why the white sox made this deal. granted thomas isnt worth 3.5m, but why not take a flier on a guy like piazza etc and hold on to a very solid up the middle guy?

[/ QUOTE ]

Thome was originally going to be Konerko's replacement at 1st if Paulie didn't re-sign. Having Piazza there wouldn't be all that.

sublime 02-10-2006 01:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thome was originally going to be Konerko's replacement at 1st if Paulie didn't re-sign. Having Piazza there wouldn't be all that.

[/ QUOTE ]

rowand was traded 5 days before konerko was signed.

considering how much the white sox paid konerko, i dont think him leaving was a large probability.

i dont know where that theory came from, but its pretty weak reasoning.

P.Dirty 02-10-2006 01:17 PM

Guys, guys. Can I remind you that this is the ***Official A's will win the WS in 2006 Thread***, and not the ***Official White Sox will win the WS in 2006 Thread***. Let's get back on topic here.

P.

Boris 02-10-2006 01:19 PM

SHUT THE EFF UP!!!!!

LISTEN GUYS, THIS IS A CIRCLE JERK THREAD FOR A'S FANS AND PEOPLE WHO WANT TO TALK SMACK TO A'S FANS. AARON ROWAND IS IRRELEVENT!!!!!! HE PLAYS FOR THE PHILLIES FOR CRYIN OUT LOUD.

sublime 02-10-2006 01:47 PM

Re: SHUT THE EFF UP!!!!!

boris-

i was excited by the projection done by DMB with ZIPs projections, but in all fairness i think ZIPs punishes old players too much and conversely rewards younger players too much.

rwperu34 02-10-2006 03:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I would guess the Sox wanted a left handed batter for the middle of the order. Also, having Brian Anderson helps take some of the sting away from losing Rowand.

davelin 02-10-2006 06:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]

rowand was traded 5 days before konerko was signed.

considering how much the white sox paid konerko, i dont think him leaving was a large probability.

i dont know where that theory came from, but its pretty weak reasoning.

[/ QUOTE ]

Eh, how about then that piazza is pretty much done?

JayLear 02-10-2006 07:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I know it's early but the computers are already picking the Oakland A's to dominate. Yankee fans should be concerned. Red Sox fans don't need to worry. It will be interesting to see how many "fans" fall off the White Sox bandwagon as the team struggles to stay above .500.

[/ QUOTE ]

Anybody know who the computers picked last year?

Jack of Arcades 02-10-2006 07:40 PM

http://yankeefan.blogspot.com/2005/0...at-do-two.html

JayLear 02-10-2006 07:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
http://yankeefan.blogspot.com/2005/0...at-do-two.html

[/ QUOTE ]
So what we're saying is the computer doesn't really know any more than anybody else, right? I think this is about the same hit-rate as Harold Reynolds...