Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Business, Finance, and Investing (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Why I Stopped Posting On This Forum **Very Long** (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=320238)

Nato76 01-31-2007 05:37 PM

Why I Stopped Posting On This Forum **Very Long**

Why am I posting now? Well I've had several people contact me and ask why I don't post here anymore. There is also a thread asking for a review on a paying website that I was a member of. Let me start off by saying that there are some great people on this forum. I still keep in touch with several of you guys off the forum and I have helped a lot of you make your first dollar on the internet.

I won't go and explain my life history but I do make the majority of my money in Internet Marketing. I used to contribute valuable information that took me years to learn on this forum. The information I gave sparked a lot of interest on 2+2 and all of a sudden the majority of the posts was talking about Internet Marketing. There was even a forum project at one time with a goal of making money online.

I was receiving so many pms asking me questions from Adsense to Adwords. I was spending a lot of time answering back pms and talking to people on AIM and other messengers. This was time that I was taking away from my business. I had to either stop helping people out or start charging them for my time.

I did not stop helping people out. What I did was have them sign up for things that they needed for their business with my affiliate links. Things like webhosting and other tools needed for their business. This was a win win for everyone. I didn't have to charge them and I could still continue to help them.

I guess some people did not think this was appropriate and started complaining. Without arguing I just stopped posting. Mainly because it was not worth the trouble and to be honest I got no value from this site and I did not play poker anymore.

There is a ring of people that talk outside of this forum and are actually making money. The reason for this ring is because this forum really doesn't offer real substance or discussion on how to really make money. You just hear the same adsense type questions over and over again.

Why should someone spend their time to offer free advice on this forum? There is no value for someone already making money to post on a forum like this. Look around the forum. The majority of the threads are beginners helping other beginners.

There are many people from the outside "ring" I mentioned that want to post more here but feel restricted. Most of these guys started up just months ago and through my help and others have already started making money. Their advice and knowledge would benefit everyone.

How to improve this forum? I really don't know. I feel like I can't make a thread because of fear of being called a spammer if I post a link. I much rather go to a forum like The Warrior or CYN where there is value and a benefit to posting.

rjp 01-31-2007 05:44 PM

Re: Why I Stopped Posting On This Forum **Very Long**

No one has a problem with anyone posting links.

The problem starts when people post affiliate links and/or links to a site along with something like "use this code to signup and I'll send you something".

That, my friend, is spam and not something that's appreciated here.

This doesn't mean refrain from posting links to sites you run that have ads or affiliate links on them, as if it's something useful then it's appreciated. Every website has to make money.

Banditgberg 01-31-2007 05:49 PM

I am a recreational poker player and stick around 2p2 because of BBV (and 4lyfe) and this forum...

I did check out Warrior and was turned off by its narrow spectrum of just internet marketing and everyone selling e-somethings...

I think people who want to start a pet supplies shop online, open a bar, flip a house, or other ideas should feel free to post here and brainstorm as that can be the motivation or the "AHA" moment...

i am sorry you don't find other posters useful, but your knowledge is always wanted/appreciated

BradleyT 01-31-2007 06:09 PM

Eh, to me this looks like a typical IM post fishing for PMs so you can start selling them your services.

Anyway, didn't we already do this thread or am I having deja vu?

Nato76 01-31-2007 06:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Eh, to me this looks like a typical IM post fishing for PMs so you can start selling them your services.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have no services to offer and this post was made to spark a discussion on how to improve this forum.

Ron_Mexico 01-31-2007 06:22 PM

You get out of the forum what you put into it. The greatest asset this forum has is its people. I do not recall reading anything particular usefull or interesting that you posted. What do you want us to start paying you for you information? Do like the Ludacris song and Run Away and Never Come Back!

dc_publius 01-31-2007 06:29 PM

I hate vague posts impling big things but pitching one to buy ebooks, sign ups for things, etc, PMs for more info, which is how alot of your posts are structured.

You don't need to sell to everyone to get value out of this forum, and if you are good at what you are doing, then you shouldn't need to pitch stuff here anyway.

Ron_Mexico 01-31-2007 06:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I have no services to offer and this post was made to spark a discussion on how to improve this forum. Are you going to post anything of value or are you just going to make accusations?

[/ QUOTE ]

You could have focused on possible things that could be improved and not made it about how you know and we waste your time. Your title Why I Stopped Posting On This Forum **Very Long** not What WE Need to do to Make This Forum Better.

Sniper 01-31-2007 06:39 PM

Nato, I'm listening... feel free to make all the suggestions you want for how this forum could be improved...

elus2 01-31-2007 06:40 PM

Due to the broad range of this forum topic, it will never replace a lot of the established forums that focus on specific aspects of making money. There are lots of specific forums dealing with restaurant management, internet marketing, website design, career+professional development, etc.

The value from this forum could come from getting broad advice and learning what kind of questions to pursue in different fields of study.

There's also value to be had when people do Ask Me type threads expanding on specific topics that they have a lot of experience in. I believe James Boston did one on mass advertising.

The willingness of posters to share knowledge without any immediate gain has always been one of the key reasons many of us read the forums in the first place imo.

JoshK 01-31-2007 07:01 PM

I find it very strange that I'm the only person that seems to agree with Nato. Do any of you do this type of stuff for a living?

If not I can understand your willingness to put time into something that's not helping you generate any income.

Numerous times I've told myself not to bother posting anymore it's not worth the time involved. AIM conversations outside of this forum are much more constructive. But the people that actually seem to know what they're doing don't really post here much anymore.

There's a few like colt who seem to be taking some action. But who else?

I want to help on this forum otherwise I wouldn't post at all. I like to help people. But it's really a big distraction and time waster. I want to be able to get something back in turn. Whether it be affiliate commissions, direct sales of a product I make, list building whatever.

For the meantime I'll continue to post more useful content on forums that generate better discussions with more knowledgeable people, that I can actually develop leads from.

Cheers,

Josh

majesty2009 01-31-2007 07:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why am I posting now? Well I've had several people contact me and ask why I don't post here anymore. There is also a thread asking for a review on a paying website that I was a member of. Let me start off by saying that there are some great people on this forum. I still keep in touch with several of you guys off the forum and I have helped a lot of you make your first dollar on the internet.

I won't go and explain my life history but I do make the majority of my money in Internet Marketing. I used to contribute valuable information that took me years to learn on this forum. The information I gave sparked a lot of interest on 2+2 and all of a sudden the majority of the posts was talking about Internet Marketing. There was even a forum project at one time with a goal of making money online.

I was receiving so many pms asking me questions from Adsense to Adwords. I was spending a lot of time answering back pms and talking to people on AIM and other messengers. This was time that I was taking away from my business. I had to either stop helping people out or start charging them for my time.

I did not stop helping people out. What I did was have them sign up for things that they needed for their business with my affiliate links. Things like webhosting and other tools needed for their business. This was a win win for everyone. I didn't have to charge them and I could still continue to help them.

I guess some people did not think this was appropriate and started complaining. Without arguing I just stopped posting. Mainly because it was not worth the trouble and to be honest I got no value from this site and I did not play poker anymore.

There is a ring of people that talk outside of this forum and are actually making money. The reason for this ring is because this forum really doesn't offer real substance or discussion on how to really make money. You just hear the same adsense type questions over and over again.

Why should someone spend their time to offer free advice on this forum? There is no value for someone already making money to post on a forum like this. Look around the forum. The majority of the threads are beginners helping other beginners.

There are many people from the outside "ring" I mentioned that want to post more here but feel restricted. Most of these guys started up just months ago and through my help and others have already started making money. Their advice and knowledge would benefit everyone.

How to improve this forum? I really don't know. I feel like I can't make a thread because of fear of being called a spammer if I post a link. I much rather go to a forum like The Warrior or CYN where there is value and a benefit to posting.

[/ QUOTE ]

HAHAH trying to pull a Majesty. LOL.

BradleyT 01-31-2007 07:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I want to be able to get something back in turn. Whether it be affiliate commissions, direct sales of a product I make, list building whatever.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah that's the way successful forums are built -
I'll reply to your post on how to play AK after a 60/10 limper but you're going to have to sign up using my party poker affiliate code first.

Nato76 01-31-2007 07:45 PM

Some people just value their time more than others. I could spend all day posting about how to make money but I choose to implement my ideas and actually do what I talk about. It would be hard for me to spend all my time making posts to build a successful forum or site that wasn't my own.

elus2 01-31-2007 08:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I find it very strange that I'm the only person that seems to agree with Nato. Do any of you do this type of stuff for a living?

If not I can understand your willingness to put time into something that's not helping you generate any income.

Numerous times I've told myself not to bother posting anymore it's not worth the time involved. AIM conversations outside of this forum are much more constructive. But the people that actually seem to know what they're doing don't really post here much anymore.

I want to help on this forum otherwise I wouldn't post at all. I like to help people. But it's really a big distraction and time waster. I want to be able to get something back in turn. Whether it be affiliate commissions, direct sales of a product I make, list building whatever.

For the meantime I'll continue to post more useful content on forums that generate better discussions with more knowledgeable people, that I can actually develop leads from.

Cheers,

Josh

[/ QUOTE ]

Many of us run our own businesses but refrain from actively using this forum to market our services. There are lots of places to get leads.

While I may not get immediate gain from posting here, having an environment where I can ask questions from people more knowledgeable than me on certain topics creates value in and of itself.

Ron_Mexico 01-31-2007 08:16 PM

The only problem we have with this forum is the fact that we need more people. If you post a question you probably will get a good response within a reasonable period of time, but it could be better. I think we should all digg this forum. We could possible get a few tech savy people to join.

I dont know what you want from the forum. Do you want to get a salary for the time you spend on here? Do you want us to buy some crappy info guide from you? WHAT DO YOU WANT AND WHY ARE YOU HERE???????

BradleyT 01-31-2007 08:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It would be hard for me to spend all my time making posts to build a successful forum or site that wasn't my own.

[/ QUOTE ]

But see the thing is you don't have to spend all day nor read every single post here. Just put please don't PM me in your posts that you think may generate PMs. Or if you do want to sell services through PM go ahead, just don't make your posts sound like a sales pitch.

Frinkenstein 01-31-2007 09:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Some people just value their time more than others. I could spend all day posting about how to make money but I choose to implement my ideas and actually do what I talk about. It would be hard for me to spend all my time making posts to build a successful forum or site that wasn't my own.

[/ QUOTE ]

So basically.... You don't want to help us because you don't feel you get anything in return. OK. See you later.

rjp 01-31-2007 10:03 PM

I'm willing to bet that a majority of the people that post here either run their own site(s) or are working on site(s), most of which have nothing to do with "money making", per se As such, you're not likely to see many posts from these people trying to sell or market services.

If everything you do means you must make a buck then by all means please leave. Fishing for PMs to sell services and such is shady, and it's nice to know that 2+2 doesn't have that kinda thing here.

I run a few sites on a part time basis, and interacting with others doing the same can provide motivation to do something new, get and/or give feedback, etc. Hell I think the best post here was the one where everyone posted their site!

Nato76 01-31-2007 10:33 PM

LOL. If I was offering a service or selling a product this wouldn't be the site I would do it on. This forum has zero traffic and would be a total waste of time. Good luck.

Ron_Mexico 01-31-2007 10:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
LOL. If I was offering a service or selling a product this wouldn't be the site I would do it on. This forum has zero traffic and would be a total waste of time. Good luck.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your product would be a waste of time?

Nato76 01-31-2007 10:41 PM

Seriously just stop.

Lee2k 02-01-2007 12:42 AM

Josh you didnt even repy to my PM so ur not much of a help and as far as nato is concerned, yeah i agree there isnt many useful posts anymore but you can't expect newbies to pay you for your advice....its a forum

Banditgberg 02-01-2007 10:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
While I may not get quantitative gain from posting here, having an environment where I can ask questions from people more knowledgeable than me on certain topics creates qualitative value in and of itself.

[/ QUOTE ]

Quoted and updated to emphasize how true this is...

JoshK 02-01-2007 11:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
While I may not get quantitative gain from posting here, having an environment where I can ask questions from people more knowledgeable than me on certain topics creates qualitative value in and of itself.

[/ QUOTE ]

Quoted and updated to emphasize how true this is...

[/ QUOTE ]

Honestly this may be true but really man... there's not much that has been "qualitative" in value.

I've tried to post good stuff you know what happens? I get pm's like, "hey let me see your sites", "how much can I make with this", "how do i upload a webpage".

I just wrote a fairly long reply but deleted it cause it was kinda attacking certain people and I don't want to make enemies. I do want to help and I think I've proven that at least a bit.

If I didn't respond to your pm's it's because I either missed it or just thought the question wasn't worth a response.

I'm awful with this type of posting here. I can't argue worth crap. But I know if people make an attempt maybe we can have better posts and less crap. Then there would be a gain.

I'll post more content if you guys do the same.

A few other things.

Stop with the clickfraud.

There's a lot more out there than adsense. You guys would be better off doing affiliate referrals or product creation than adsense. You can definetly hit a homerun with adsense with some sites. But for most of you i'm betting you'd be better off following something along the lines of:

1. Pick a Niche
2. Build a squeeze page for that niche. Squeeze pages should have content now to avoid google slap.
3. Set up a 7-15 day autoresponder series promoting a few products in that niche.
4. Develop an adwords campaign pointing to your squeeze page.
5. See if the market is responsive. If it is go to 6.
6. Develop your own product for that niche and do a prelaunch with your already developed mailing list from before.
7. Start doing JV's.
8. Set up an affiliate program.

Rinse/repeat.

You guys would do a ton better focusing more on this type of stuff than adsense.

Wow talk about going off on a tangent.

Cheers,

Josh

Bucnutz19 02-01-2007 12:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Cheers,

Josh

[/ QUOTE ]

I am one of the people that has taken action as my site is up and running at this point. It is almost completed ( I am still adding content) but working on it has taken a lot more time then I originally expected. A lot of people drop off after they find out its not just a 30 minute project. As for Nato or anybody else exploring this area of internet marketing I would like to discuss things with you outside of the forum if that would be best. Although I think I have come a long way I could still use advice from people that are actually making money and more experienced. Thanks.

scotty M 02-01-2007 12:34 PM

Josh,

FWIW, I think you've offered some of the best advice to us newbs on this forum.

Haven't taken the time to thank you, but I always read your posts and take your info to heart.

I do appreciate you posting here.

Thanks,

-Scott

livinitup0 02-02-2007 02:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree completely. I'd say if Nato were to have came here as a Noob himself, then yeah he deserves to contribute just like all of us that went through the micros, ss, then ms poker forums for free.... giving something back after the knowledge you've gained here.

Nato hasnt done that. He didnt come here asking a bunch of questions...he basically came here out of kindness and really helped build up this forum to something decent with all the information he has given. this forum is really the only reason I come back to 2p2 anymore.... He came in as a pro and should be compensated as such. I hope you got credited for my hostgator signup Nato. Gonna go sign up with Warrior now....see you around.

Just my 2 E-cents
Richard

livinitup0 02-02-2007 02:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Your product would be a waste of time?

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats not even close to what hes saying....and you know it.

livinitup0 02-02-2007 02:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So basically.... You don't want to help us because you don't feel you get anything in return. OK. See you later.

[/ QUOTE ]

The only reason people give advice here is because:
A) Nothing better to do...
B) Apprecition for the help that they were given when they were starting out.
C) To make money
D) To inflate their own egos
E) Out of the kindness of their heart....which for most people doesnt last long with the amount of idiots out there.

Nato is simply trying to manage his time better to make more money....Im amazed that people of this forum cant understand that.

elus2 02-02-2007 04:00 PM

livin,

No i'm pretty sure we understand that. I don't find it to be a difficult thing for people to adhere to the T&C's of the site and post under the framework they've allowed. The framework will not work for everyone and we'll lose some posters for sure but others will come who will be willing to share knowledge and allow the community to grow.

B00T 02-02-2007 04:17 PM

This problem always comes up. The people with all the information get all of the flak for not helping others. If any of you read the sportsbetting forum, the same arguement ensued about 2 months ago about people who are into arbitrage.

The big names don't feel the need to take time away to encourage other people how to get involved and eat the profit away from others for nothing in return.

As one poster mentioned above: it all depends on the person and how eager they are to just help others out of the goodness of their heart. If one person such as Nato or Majesty don't want to help out, I don't see how anyone can blame them.

Coming back to kick the forum when they're down however, isn't necessary.

livinitup0 02-02-2007 04:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This problem always comes up. The people with all the information get all of the flak for not helping others. If any of you read the sportsbetting forum, the same arguement ensued about 2 months ago about people who are into arbitrage.

The big names don't feel the need to take time away to encourage other people how to get involved and eat the profit away from others for nothing in return.

As one poster mentioned above: it all depends on the person and how eager they are to just help others out of the goodness of their heart. If one person such as Nato or Majesty don't want to help out, I don't see how anyone can blame them.

Coming back to kick the forum when they're down however, isn't necessary.

[/ QUOTE ]

No but if several people are IM'img him, then I think it was nice giving an explination of why he isnt answering them.

Nato76 02-02-2007 06:31 PM

I just received an IM asking me to read the thread that I created on 2+2. At first I was like, ok now what. I was pleasantly surprised that someone that I don't even think I directly helped standing up for me and actually getting what I was talking about.

I did not come to this forum to "kick the forum when it is down". I was receiving several personal messages and IM's asking me why I have not responded to their questions. I figured I would just post it on the forum to explain why.

I have helped several people from this forum make money in what I do. One guy that also doesn't post here anymore is making over 1k/month and several are making several hundred. Actually one guy that is giving great advice on this forum JoshK is someone I started helping out about 4-5 months ago.

He is a very motivated and smart guy that ran with all the info that I gave him. Almost everything that he posts I agree with. I actually have even started using some of his affiliate links and he saved me several thousands of dollars already from some research tools that he provided me with.

People like JoshK are the reason that I like helping people out. What I don't like is the people that want everything given to them for free and then don't want to take action. These are the people that complain and send me nasty pms that what I am talking about doesn't work.

I have spend several thousands of dollars on courses and seminars to educate myself in Internet Marketing. What I was providing this forum was free and it was worth more than some $97 ebooks. It was getting very hard for me to keep helping people out for free while I know I could have used that time on a new project. Some get it and some still don't get it. When you start making money you might understand.

Livingitup, I don't remember you but If I helped you in anyway I am glad I did. I wish you the best and hope you make millions. If you ever need my help I will gladly help you with whatever you need.

majesty2009 02-02-2007 08:00 PM

I totaly understand what you are saying. I tried to help and asked for nothing in return. All people did was accuse me of trying to pull off some master plot. I was telling people hey give this a try it works well for me and everyone started calling me a fraud and saying I was trying to sell stuff. If someone takes the time to post a little knowlege then why not just read it and take what works for you and throw the rest away.

I would realy get angry when I would have 5 insulting posts in the forum and 20 IMs from people wanting help. All these people could write me asking for help, but couldnt stick up for me in the forum.

On the bright side I have met a lot of people that have furthered my developement. I dont have anything against this forum, but it seems like people take joy in insulting you instead of working together to share info.

majesty2009 02-02-2007 08:04 PM

I think the three best people on this forum are joshk, nato and I hate to say it but frinkenstein "he can be a real a hole but hes still got some good stuff."

snowbank 02-03-2007 07:50 AM

Nato,

I have a question for you. PM me when your box is not full.

bad beetz 04-05-2007 02:32 AM

For what it's worth, I was told by an unnamed source that Nato76 and JoshK were the two users in this forum who knew there [censored], and I'm about 60% done reading anything you've ever posted here, and haven't started on Josh, who's next.

majesty2009 04-05-2007 03:07 AM

Hell ya Nato and Josh are great posters. You will learn a lot for going threw their posts.