Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   EDF (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=81)
-   -   Bluetooth (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=319367)

Kneel B4 Zod 01-30-2007 07:03 PM

Bluetooth

what do you guys use Bluetooth for?

I have a Treo and my new sweet enV, which both have Bluetooth. I bought a bluetooth headset for the Treo months ago, and I charged it up, but I never really used it b/c the setup was a bit wonky and it kept turning on and off and then the battery died so I said to hell with it.

do any of you guys use Bluetooth for anything useful? I guess the headset idea is cool, but the one I bought is annoying to put on and off and I'm sure as hell not keeping it on.

anything else?

Boris 01-30-2007 07:06 PM

Re: Bluetooth

It is annoying has hell to have a phone conversation with someone using a bluetooth headset.

Joe Tall 01-30-2007 07:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It is annoying has hell to have a phone conversation with someone using a bluetooth headset.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is why I don't use mine anymore as everyone I talked to complained.

Claunchy 01-30-2007 07:07 PM

I have a bluetooth mouse for my laptop that's pretty awesome.

Not a big fan of the headsets though.

PITTM 01-30-2007 07:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

elaborate please.

TiK 01-30-2007 07:24 PM

I have absolutely nothing that's bluetooth, but that's the norm being that I'm pretty slow in getting the latest gadgets (i.e. I'm too cheap to shell out the big bucks for the latest tech stuff and wait 'til it gets real cheap)

My friend has his RAZR bluetoothed into his brand new 3-series BMW and whenever his phone rings while he's in the car, the car itself rings and displays the callerID info on the console monitor. You can then hit the button and take the call using the car's speakerphone. I thought that was pretty awesome, given that you don't have to do anything at all after the initial setup (i.e. no plugging the phone into the car when you get in, etc.).

Kneel B4 Zod 01-30-2007 07:26 PM

hmm that is cool! I guess I should buy a BMW [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

Josem 01-30-2007 07:27 PM

i use it for the headset - with my pc.

that way, i can talk to people on the pc, can listen to music while playing, and can move around the house as needed.

dogdrool 01-30-2007 07:28 PM

I use bluetooth between my phone and my laptop. When my phone rings it pops up on the screen to say who is calling. I can hit ignore (my typical response) if I want. Of course I can also keep the ringer silent that way. I can also send text messages from the computer that way.

The second use is transferring photos and phone numbers between the computer and the phone.

Boris 01-30-2007 07:28 PM

PITT - the bluetooth user is constantly cutting out.

guids 01-30-2007 07:29 PM

Ive been messing around with bluetooth and cars for the last couple of weeks. I got a linksys usb dongle, ripped it open, added a better antenna, with some software from trifinite.org, you can mess around with cars/cell/pda's equipped with bluetooth. Basically, imo, you nkow how all these people would hack into wi-fi networks because the security was so lax, this is how cars and bluetooth will be for the next couple of years. The only practical thing I use bluetooth for nowadays is hooking up my laptop and my pda to my cell so I can get high speed internet wherever I go.

astroglide 01-30-2007 07:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i've never noticed, but anyone i would probably be a nitpicky salesperson with a nice headset.

it drives me nuts when people continue wearing their bluetooth headsets in situations where they're extremely unlikely to use them: holiday get-togethers, etc. it gives a distracted look, and i find it difficult to seriously engage them in conversation when it looks as if they could launch into a second one or leave at any moment. it's like they're standing in an open doorway with their keys in their hand.

personally, i've only used bluetooth for internet access from mobile phone to laptop ("tethering").

Kneel B4 Zod 01-30-2007 07:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
is hooking up my laptop and my pda to my cell so I can get high speed internet wherever I go.

[/ QUOTE ]

ok, now this is useful. how do I do this?

PITTM 01-30-2007 07:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
it drives me nuts when people continue wearing their bluetooth headsets in situations where they're extremely unlikely to use them: holiday get-togethers, etc. it gives a distracted look, and i find it difficult to seriously engage them in conversation when it looks as if they could launch into a second one or leave at any moment. it's like they're standing in an open doorway with their keys in their hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

spot on sir. i wouldnt talk to someone in this spot unless it was a client i was being paid to talk to.

tdarko 01-30-2007 07:34 PM

I make fun of the dudes wearing their bluetooth at a restaurant on a Sunday night while their NOT having a conversation.

Boris 01-30-2007 07:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The only practical thing I use bluetooth for nowadays is hooking up my laptop and my pda to my cell so I can get high speed internet wherever I go.

[/ QUOTE ]

I made this prediction repeatedly in work meetings a couple years ago. Everyone laughed at me. Stupid Azzholes.

Josem 01-30-2007 07:36 PM

obviously anyone wearing a bluetooth earpiece without having a conversation on it looks like a moron.

however, i only use mine in the car - it is illegal to use a handheld mobile phone in australia, so handsfree devices like this are essential.

GuyOnTilt 01-30-2007 07:38 PM

I use it to sync my cell with my computer to xfer files. The next time I upgrade any peripherals for my computer they'll be bluetooth (printer, etc). Sometimes I'll use it to sync my cell with other people's if we need to xfer a file, but other than that I don't use it for anything else. I wish I did though 'cause it's super convenient and I hope more things become bluetooth integrated.

[censored] 01-30-2007 07:44 PM

All,

I think those bluetooth ear piece things look pretty F'n retarded on anyone who hasn't been assimilated by the borg. I can however understand people wearing them while driving or other similar situations.

Dids 01-30-2007 07:55 PM

Beef with Bluetooth headsets:

The nice benefit of a phone is that when you're speaking, you project into the phone, and not open air. People tend to fail to modulate their voice, or even talk louder, and now what you're left with is [censored] shouting. I'm not really sure why this is something we need to enable.

Los Feliz Slim 01-30-2007 08:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Beef with Bluetooth headsets:

The nice benefit of a phone is that when you're speaking, you project into the phone, and not open air. People tend to fail to modulate their voice, or even talk louder, and now what you're left with is [censored] shouting. I'm not really sure why this is something we need to enable.

[/ QUOTE ]

People talk louder into cell phones because you don't hear your own voice through the earpiece like on a regular phone. I don't know why the phones are different, but I remember reading that somewhere.

The DaveR 01-30-2007 08:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The only practical thing I use bluetooth for nowadays is hooking up my laptop and my pda to my cell so I can get high speed internet wherever I go.

[/ QUOTE ]

I made this prediction repeatedly in work meetings a couple years ago. Everyone laughed at me. Stupid Azzholes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Aren't you a VC? That's not a good sign for your investors.

Magic_Man 01-30-2007 09:06 PM

I have a bluetooth frogpad, which I use as an input device for a Dell Axim pda. One day if I'm feeling really geeky, I'll add some velcro straps to the back of the frogpad and have a wearable computer.

garion888 01-30-2007 10:18 PM

I have a bluetooth headset for my phone which I rarely use now becuase my Prius has a bluetooth speakerphone built in. My phone is also a PDA(Samsung i730), so I have a bluetooth dongle for my computer which allows me to sync up for e-mail, contacts, appointments etc.

My favorite thing is my wireless bluetooth headphones which I pair with my phone to listen to XM Radio Online. The headphones also have a companion piece which allows me to pair up to any audio source with a 3.5mm output(Ipod, Stereo, TV etc).

shermanash 01-30-2007 10:20 PM

i connect my phone to my desk computer via bluetooth and use salling clicker (www.sallingclicker.com) so i can control itunes from anywhere in the house using my phone, or use my phone as a dvd player remote. its pretty cool, but not terribly useful or necesary.

Dadswell 01-31-2007 12:13 PM

Phone, PDA, Headset, Computer are all linked together via Bluetooth. Also my Wii controllers are bluetooth. I don't have a problem with my headset I don't think, atleast I've never gotten complaints while using it.

4_2_it 01-31-2007 12:32 PM

My Wiimote uses Bluetooth technology.

I have the Borg earpiece but only use it when my hands aren't free because it's a pain in the ass.

My laptop has Bluetooth, but I haven't used it for anything as yet.

Coffee 01-31-2007 12:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

spot on sir. i wouldnt talk to someone in this spot unless it was a client i was being paid to talk to.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, and will go a step further. If someone is wearing their Bluetooth while they work, I suppose that's okay. But I've seen people wearing them IN restaurants WITH their families. Every time I see this, I think one word: TOOL. Seriously, who thinks that the Bluetooth is a fashion accessory?

Again...working, driving - fine. But take the damn thing off if you're not using it.

*TT* 01-31-2007 01:01 PM

I have a Tom Tom ONE GPS which has BlueTooth speakerphone capabilities, as well as the ability to download weather and traffic data via the connected cell. Only problem is my Blackberry is locked, and therefore cannot be used with the Tom Tom. I hear that not all Blackberries have this problem, its unique to my series (8700g) due to network restrictions with T Mobile. Kinda sucks, but at least the Blackberry has a speakerphone so I can still talk while driving.

If anyone knows of a way to unlock the Blackberry so I can use it to connect via Bluetooth to the Tom Tom please let me know!

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Magic_Man 01-31-2007 02:53 PM

TT, I'm told that if you've been a customer in good standing for 90 days, T-Mobile will give you the unlock code for free. Contact them at 800-937-8997. If you need a reason you could always claim you are considering overseas travel, but from what I hear, they will give you one unlock code every 90 days anyway. You can also do it on the web at https://my.t-mobile.com/ContactUs.aspx

astroglide 01-31-2007 03:25 PM

coffee, when you call them out the common claim seems to be that they forgot it was there. i doubt you would forget yours if you were wearing it, though...

Coffee 01-31-2007 03:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
coffee, when you call them out the common claim seems to be that they forgot it was there. i doubt you would forget yours if you were wearing it, though...

[/ QUOTE ]

I tend not to forget large objects hanging off my ears. Maybe that's why I never got my ears pierced. That, or I didn't want to get my ass kicked by my dad...one of those.

jackdaniels 01-31-2007 04:15 PM

I also use my cars bluetooth capabilities (no headset, sound comes directly from car speakers) and I think it is awesome, I use it lots.

No one here has a bluetooth keyboard/mouse? I connected a pc to my tv in the family room and now have access from the couch. BT's increased range makes this possible where IR would die out after 6ft.

Eponymous 02-02-2007 11:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]

My friend has his RAZR bluetoothed into his brand new 3-series BMW and whenever his phone rings while he's in the car, the car itself rings and displays the callerID info on the console monitor. You can then hit the button and take the call using the car's speakerphone. I thought that was pretty awesome, given that you don't have to do anything at all after the initial setup (i.e. no plugging the phone into the car when you get in, etc.).

[/ QUOTE ]

In addition, when making calls, you can select from the names that are already in your phone directory by using the buttons on your steering wheel. You just scroll through the list of names that shows up on the monitor and press a button to dial. Much safer and more convenient than using the phone itself. You can also dial a number by pressing a button to activate voice commands and say, "dial 410 xxx xxxx".

Also, if you have the navigation system, when you select a hotel, restaurant, etc., from the travel information, you can call them with a press of a button to get rates and make reservations. It works really well, especially considering that BMW's interface to their electronics is usually pretty poor. I imagine other luxury makes have equivalent or better set-ups.