Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Sushi experts question? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=318772)

arsoisaen 01-30-2007 02:36 AM

Sushi experts question?

so theres this japanese place i frequent, pretty authentic, usually get omakase unless big party.

when i get my nigri, it already has wasabi under it, dab a lil soy sauce, in my mouth it goes.

however, when i order real wasabi, they just grate it an i get it on the side. but i dont use any wasabi on the side since its already under the fish...so any one have any clue how i can fix this? just tell the chef? seems like a hasle to him, and place is usually packed enough where i can just get his attention for short spans (hence omakase and just let him throw down fish whenever he wants)

and anyone know the price premium for the real wasabi? all i get is a flat price at the end so i have no clue.

thanks

Scary_Tiger 01-30-2007 02:42 AM

Re: Sushi experts question?

Be smart like an American and mix it with your soy sauce? Not the expert play I know.

TiK 01-30-2007 02:42 AM

When you first order the platter of sushi, just tell them "wasabi-nuki" or without wasabi. Then just say you want it on the side.

They have real wasabi at your place. Very nice.

Scary_Tiger 01-30-2007 02:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
When you first order the platter of sushi, just tell them "wasabi-nuki" or without wasabi. Then just say you want it on the side.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yay, this is the correct answer. That didn't take long.

arsoisaen 01-30-2007 03:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

and then just...put wasabi in soy sauce and dip as usual?
sorry for basic question but i used to not eat wasabi, and when i started always already included in nigri so i dont think i've ever had it with soysauce mixed like everyone else.

drexah 01-30-2007 03:42 AM

seriously going to start ordering sushi delivery every day from the local thai/japanese place. got an 18 pc seafood dish with teriyaka chicken and it was bomb...but like 20$ w/ drink and delivery. oh and im a broke college student but i ball out with sushi when i win onies playing poker. (have made 3k in the last month after a 20$ deposit on bodog)

Wynton 01-30-2007 09:43 AM

Can I hijack this a bit to ask one basic question?

My problem with sushi is that I never know how much to order, with the result that I usually just request an assortment.

How many rolls is generally considered a full meal? Does this depend upon the particular rolls ordered?

Los Feliz Slim 01-30-2007 09:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]

My problem with sushi is that I never know how much to order, with the result that I usually just request an assortment.

How many rolls is generally considered a full meal? Does this depend upon the particular rolls ordered?

[/ QUOTE ]

It totally depends, but that's what the sushi bar is for - just keep getting more stuff until you've had enough. You don't have to sit down, order, eat, and leave. Even if you're at a table, just order what you want and get more later if you're still hungry.

bigbootch 01-30-2007 10:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It depends, and you can generally get a decent idea by looking at the price of the roll. If you're gonna get rolls only (no nigiri or sashimi), then about three $5 rolls (califonia, spicy tuna, whatever) fills me up. But then there are those big, wacky $15 specialty rolls that fill me up after just one roll.

That said, I'd follow the other advice to order on the light side and you can always order more.

-bigbootch

howzit 01-30-2007 11:16 AM

"sabi-nuki"

real wasabi root is expensive compared to the tube.

Scary_Tiger 01-30-2007 11:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I usually eat two rolls and 8 pieces of nigiri or so. Sometimes when I order delivery, I end up getting a 3rd free roll and I'm pretty stuffed after that.

Chimp 01-30-2007 11:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
sorry for basic question but i used to not eat wasabi, and when i started always already included in nigri so i dont think i've ever had it with soysauce mixed like everyone else.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've heard that you're just supposed to smear some of the wasabi on the fish itself so you can control how much you have. Also, you're supposed to dip the rice side of the sushi, but the fish side, so the rice doesn't get all soaked with soy.

Anyone else know for sure?

Scary_Tiger 01-30-2007 11:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've heard that you're just supposed to smear some of the wasabi on the fish itself so you can control how much you have. Also, you're supposed to dip the rice side of the sushi, but the fish side, so the rice doesn't get all soaked with soy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dipping the rice side of the sushi is a sure sign you're retarded.

I usually just mix the wasabi in with the soy sauce.

cbloom 01-30-2007 12:59 PM

A lot of y'all don't know about real wasabi, obviously. You should never mix it in your soy. It's also quite mild and doesn't distract from the fish.

OP, if you really don't want the real wasabi, say so because I'm sure they're charging you, it's quite expensive. It is really tasty though, so I would certainly get it. You can just put a little on your fish, or eat it straight between pieces as a palate cleanser like the ginger.

arsoisaen 01-30-2007 02:10 PM

well the thing is im pretty sure im getting the tube stuff now, and i want to order the real stuff, i just figure how the hell do i get it on my nigri. i guess i can just get some off my chopsticks and put it in my fish...usually how i do it is pick up the fish and then wipe it along the wasabi mound till good but then cant exactly do that with nigri

NickMPK 01-30-2007 02:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, you should dip the fish side into the soy. You are also supposed to put it in your mouth upside-down, so that you taste the fish first rather than the rice.

Bicycles_Biatch 01-30-2007 02:55 PM

I found it good to set some type of price limit.... I eat about 40-50 dollars worth of sushi... that seems to fill me up.

howzit 01-30-2007 03:07 PM

speaking of sushi: will some of you please step in and rate the following NYC sushi places.

tomoe: i give this place a solid 8. it'd be higher if the wait wasn't as bad. spend between $60-80

blue ribbon sushi: awesome fish, cute hostess, almost nose bleeds. i spend $100+ everytime here.

jewel bako: omakase i think was $95. FRESHLY GRATED WASABI by the cute waitress. A+ however the fish choice was not on par with what i like.

masa: true nose bleeds. . . never been. my friends only go for broker dinners. they like it.

yama: industry standard in my opinion. solid but not spectacular.

karumasuzhi: another nose bleed. . .never been.

cbloom 01-30-2007 03:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]

blue ribbon sushi

[/ QUOTE ]

I went here and was disgusted by the prices/quality compared to west coast sushi. It was about double the price of what I'd usually pay at a top quality place here and the quality was slightly worse. The pieces are small and you only get one per order.

Oranzith 01-30-2007 03:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

In Japan, it is 1 piece/age till like 20

SammyKid11 01-30-2007 04:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I usually do about 12 total pieces (6 orders) of nigiri and one order of spicy tuna roll. That usually hits the spot...but the place I go has such excellent nigiri that I tend to order heavy on that side of things (their rolls are awesome, too, but the nigiri is SO good...).

Certainly if you're just ordering rolls, I'd think three orders would do the trick unless you have a very large appetite or are especially hungry. Mix with some miso soup and edamame and you're gold.

Bicycles_Biatch 01-30-2007 04:18 PM

anyone in the Foothill region of LA... PM me for the best spot in town.

drexah 01-31-2007 02:20 AM

advice: do not let sushi sit our for more than like 15 minutes. it turns rock hard.