Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Smoking Aces: Anyone seen it? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=316670)

Sickboy 01-27-2007 06:18 PM

Smoking Aces: Anyone seen it?

I'm thinking of checking it out tonight...just curious if anyone has seen it yet?

Good? Bad? Wait for DVD?

Patrick del Poker Grande 01-27-2007 06:21 PM

Re: Smoking Aces: Anyone seen it?

It looks like it will either be sick awesome or a total flop. It looks like it has potential to be one of my favorite movies this year. I was thinking about seeing it tonight, but I might actually end up going to see it next week.

Sickboy 01-27-2007 06:25 PM

it got 3 1/2 out of 4 stars from Chicgo Sun-Times critic which shocked me...

Wes Mantooth 01-27-2007 06:25 PM

Have not seen it, not surprised that the most reviews are not that favorable, info here.

multious 01-27-2007 06:32 PM

i've seen it.

Ridiculous plot lines/twists that are stupid and hurt the movie but the movie is really entertaining. Good action and some funny parts.

Wu36 01-27-2007 06:39 PM

yeah thats a pretty good way to describe it. some hilarious/insane characters. general plot/ending is really ridiculous.

i enjoyed it, the little kid in the karate uniform was great.

Green Kool Aid 01-27-2007 06:41 PM

OMG IT WAS SOOOOO TERRIBLE WOWOWOWOWOW

CIncyHR 01-27-2007 06:42 PM

saw it last night and it [censored] sucked. i would have walked out of the theatre if i wasnt with friends. zero interesting characters, crappy plot and dialogue, and the action wasnt even very good. waste of time and money.

lippy 01-27-2007 06:46 PM

Is it as Guy Ritchiesque as it looks?

IlPug 01-27-2007 06:53 PM

how does it compare to crank?

this or babel for me tonight?

z32fanatic 01-27-2007 06:59 PM

I would recommend seeing it as it's pretty entertaining. It's probably better than most of the other movies that have been put out this year.

mntbikr15 01-27-2007 07:05 PM

Somewhat entertaining...but not at all good

TheGrasshopper 01-27-2007 07:07 PM

If you love blood and gore then this is your movie. Character development is weak but its entertaining.

vikefan24 01-27-2007 07:19 PM

The action scenes were pretty sweet, but from a movie standpoint it was kind of weak.. The final time you see one of the tremors was pretty funny

Patrick del Poker Grande 01-27-2007 07:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is it as Guy Ritchiesque as it looks?

[/ QUOTE ]
This is the real question. It looks like it's a Guy Ritchie knock-off. Is it done well, or am I going to be wishing I just watched Snatch/Lock Stock at home instead?

Sickboy 01-27-2007 07:29 PM

Yes...for people who have seen it
compare it to its equal movie wise.

ilya 01-27-2007 07:32 PM

Not worth it, preview better than the movie

EMc 01-27-2007 07:37 PM

I thought it was really, really bad. The plot was blah and the "twists" were easy to figure out, even though following the movie wasnt exactly easy. If I wasnt with a group of friends I wouldve walked out.

neuroman 01-27-2007 07:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would recommend seeing it as it's pretty entertaining. It's probably better than most of the other movies that have been put out this year.

[/ QUOTE ]
Textbook definition of damning with faint praise.

burningyen 01-27-2007 08:15 PM

I love how Alicia Keys is playing a lesbian after all the rumors. She must have a pretty good sense of humor.

Terrabon98 01-27-2007 08:15 PM

Meh thought it was just ok. Action scenes are pretty good, but the plot was way too much Snatch-esque, and didn't really work out.

At least Alicia Keyes was smokin hot

WhoIam 01-27-2007 08:26 PM

This sounds like a great "get drunk with your friends and watch it on On Demand" movie.

kssquared 01-27-2007 08:29 PM

did meet up to my expectations but a good movie with good action and some quality humor in spots u wouldnt expect humor at, but very complicated plot makes it hard to follow

ElSapo 01-27-2007 09:56 PM

I just saw it an hour or so ago. I hated it, but my girlfriend liked it. It wasn't awful, but personally I go to movies to see good endings and follow charachters I like, and there really wasn't much of this.

NLSoldier 01-27-2007 09:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
how does it compare to crank?

this or babel for me tonight?

[/ QUOTE ]

i would def reccomend smokin aces over babel. It wasnt great but i thought it was entertaining.

React1oN 01-27-2007 11:21 PM

I thought it was pretty cool, saw with friends, so if by myself i dont really know.

btw, the main guy w/ all his card tricks had nothing at all to do w/ the general plot of the movie.

AZK 01-28-2007 01:40 AM

if you couldn't figure out that ending before it happened, you are a [censored] idiot. Twists? I mean one, but the general idea was there from the beginning...maybe I've seen too many movies like this.

metsandfinsfan 01-28-2007 03:55 AM

I thought it was meh. The people i was with hated it

oneeye13 01-28-2007 05:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

this is exactly the opposite of children of men, which i found to be not at all entertaining but which people claim is very good

bugstud 01-28-2007 09:29 AM

I was amused until the ending, then I was v v v v v v v upset

Wires 01-28-2007 09:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

this is exactly the opposite of children of men, which i found to be not at all entertaining but which people claim is very good

huh? This makes no sense.

I know what is going on here. You just wanted to take a critically acclaimed movie and show how you could go against the grain and dislike it - even though it is irrelvant to this thread,

You're so controversial.

battschr 01-28-2007 01:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

szw 01-28-2007 01:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

huh? This makes no sense.

I know what is going on here. You just wanted to take a critically acclaimed movie and show how you could go against the grain and dislike it - even though it is irrelvant to this thread,

You're so controversial.

[/ QUOTE ]

And his out of place example isn't even the exact opposite of what he was replying to. What a tool.

AZK 01-28-2007 03:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

the ending improves the quality of the movie, it would be worse if it didn't end like that. I dont understand why you dont like the ending. The specific action or the story?

El Diablo 01-28-2007 04:13 PM

All,

I was planning on seeing this tomorrow. Prob the movie I've been most anticipating in a while. It got a 29% on RT, which almost surely means it will suck hard.

SkeetyMcdoogle 01-28-2007 04:55 PM

I read the RT reviews, went anyawy, and liked it.

You're not seeing a movie called Smokin Aces thats about like 50 hitmen for OMG CRAZY PLOT and SWEET STORY. You want action, jokes, hookers, and gore and it has it all so let us oggogogogo

The DaveR 01-28-2007 05:43 PM

Is Ben Affleck in it? Not a good sign if he is.

El Diablo 01-28-2007 06:00 PM

Skeety,

Sold. Not sure what I was thinking. Thanks for knocking some sense back into me!

Bill Murphy 01-28-2007 06:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I read the RT reviews, went anyawy, and liked it.

You're not seeing a movie called Smokin Aces thats about like 50 hitmen for OMG CRAZY PLOT and SWEET STORY. You want action, jokes, hookers, and gore and it has it all so let us oggogogogo

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed, but I just think the British do movies like this so much better(with the obvious exceptions of Tarantino & Rodriguez). I'm not much for everyone trying to over-the-top, out-scream, out-crazy, each other; doing deliberately bizarre stuff that would have 500 cops around in ten seconds.

I might sneak into it after seeing something else, tho, based on the reports here. From the previews it looked worse than 3000 Miles To Graceland.

xhawks 01-28-2007 06:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is Ben Affleck in it? Not a good sign if he is.

[/ QUOTE ]
He absolutely gets owned so it negates the reality that he is in the movie.