Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   The Departed: help me with a few loose ends. Spoilers (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=316170)

hyde 01-26-2007 11:36 PM

The Departed: help me with a few loose ends. Spoilers

really great movie.

1. Did the plot line ever indicate that the shrink opened the envelope DiCaprio gave her? Question 3?

2. Towards the end Matt Damon is in his building with groceries and a woman with a dog avoids him disdainfully and pulls the dog away as he tries to pat it. Why?

3. And immediately after that he gets shot. Is the shooter yet another informer or just a vigilante?

ty

React1oN 01-26-2007 11:56 PM

Re: The Departed: help me with a few loose ends. Spoilers

Matt Damon gets shot by Lt. Dingham or whatever his name was(one of my fav characters in the movie fwiw)

Riverman 01-27-2007 12:07 AM

Dude, Matt Damon's killer was a pretty major character. How could you miss that?

hyde 01-27-2007 12:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Matt Damon gets shot by Lt. Dingham or whatever his name was(one of my fav characters in the movie fwiw)

[/ QUOTE ]

but was he another informer? or just an otherwise good cop seeking revenge for Martin Sheens character getting killed?

MikeNaked 01-27-2007 12:12 AM

I always assumed that the envelope was how Dingham knew that Damon's character was the informant.

22803 01-27-2007 12:35 AM

1 ) Pretty sure she opened it...it held the tape which proved Matt Damon as a rat.

2) Possibly the dog just doesn't like him? Or it's some type of foreshadowing.

3) It was Lt. Mark Walhberg, pretty sure he knew all along and just hated matt damon.

LionelHutz00 01-27-2007 01:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I always assumed that the envelope was how Dingham knew that Damon's character was the informant.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah me too. is there any other explanation that makes sense? other than Marky Mark just having a hunch that Damon was the mole?

imitation 01-27-2007 01:29 AM

Marky Mark was a rat as well, I thought that was a given.

bobman0330 01-27-2007 01:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah me too. is there any other explanation that makes sense? other than Marky Mark just having a hunch that Damon was the mole?

[/ QUOTE ]

He knew that DiCaprio wasn't a bad guy, so he must have known that Damon's story was BS.

meep_42 01-27-2007 03:37 AM

How did the shrink know how to get in contact with Dingham? As I recall, she'd never met him, and if DiCaprio's character knew how to get ahold of him, he'd have done it himself.

-d

felson 01-27-2007 05:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

wtf? no.

kagame 01-28-2007 04:48 AM

love when 2p2ers remind me how dumb they are lol

DCopper04 01-28-2007 05:28 AM

Dogs don't like rats

707782 01-28-2007 07:33 AM

The original HK Chinese version "Infernal Affair" is many times better, I seen both, trust me.

imitation 01-28-2007 09:32 AM

Are Infernal Affairs 2 and 3 any good?

hulk3rules 01-28-2007 08:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe. Maybe not. Maybe [censored] yourself

blackize 01-28-2007 08:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]

The original HK Chinese version "Infernal Affair" is many times better, I seen both, trust me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. You'll have all the Scorcese fanboys saying that you just didn't "get it" though. Themes relating to Buddhist hell > Rats

blackize 01-28-2007 08:53 PM

Also it's been a while since I've seen it, but I thought Marky Marks character was one of the few people in the movie to be definitively not a rat.

yellowjack 01-28-2007 09:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Are Infernal Affairs 2 and 3 any good?

[/ QUOTE ]

They're both prequels and nowhere close to as good as the first.

Jack of Arcades 01-28-2007 09:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How did the shrink know how to get in contact with Dingham? As I recall, she'd never met him, and if DiCaprio's character knew how to get ahold of him, he'd have done it himself.

-d

[/ QUOTE ]

Dingam was on 2 weeks leave.

Artdogg 01-28-2007 09:27 PM

white re: infernal affairs

<font color="white">i dunno how people can say either movie was better, they are basically the same thing with different endings </font>

CharlieDontSurf 01-28-2007 09:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

-d

[/ QUOTE ]

Dingam was on 2 weeks leave. [ QUOTE ]

Dingham seemed to be suspicious of just about everyone...so it seems like he could easily put two n two together with what he knew especially given the fishy way that Damon just happened to be the lone survivor in the final shootout/double cross etc

blackize 01-28-2007 09:54 PM

Art,

They're completely different. IA is a much tighter film in general. They have completely different themes as well.

SoloAJ 01-28-2007 09:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Art,

They're completely different. IA is a much tighter film in general. They have completely different themes as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. I wish the cast of TD was doing the script for IA.

Jiggymike 01-28-2007 10:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Pretty sure this is incorrect, I don't see what ever implied this. Seemed like he was just a good cop and figured out the situation, probably with the envelope.

Artdogg 01-28-2007 10:21 PM

I guess you guys are right, i should watch IA again (have only seen it once)

SixT4 01-29-2007 07:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Dude, Matt Damon's killer was a pretty major character. How could you miss that?

[/ QUOTE ]

I had to ask my mate who he was. I didn't recognise him at all.

kagame 01-29-2007 07:28 AM

Rats dont cuss everyone out constantly in the most badass manner possible. That is all.

XXXNoahXXX 01-29-2007 07:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I had to ask my mate who he was. I didn't recognise him at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously, WTF.

He was the most in your face character of the entire film.

He was nominated for an Oscar for the role.

You clearly need to rewatch the movie if you weren't paying enough attention to get this.

pauliewalnuts 01-29-2007 12:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Dogs don't like rats

[/ QUOTE ]

Hahaha.

splashpot 02-26-2007 03:32 AM

Ok with this movie winning best picture, I thought this might be an appropriate time to bump this and ask about some of the loose ends that I'm not sure about. I bought the DVD last week and think it's a phenomenal movie btw.

1) What is in the small black box that Costello gives Sullivan right after the Academy graduation while they're sitting in the car?
2) Was it implied that Delahunt was also a cop? When his body is found, the reporters say he was an undercover cop, but then Costello claims they're just saying that so he won't suspect anyone else of being a cop. I think he was a cop cause he figured out that Costigan was the rat but didn't tell anyone.

cpitt398 02-26-2007 04:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Ok with this movie winning best picture, I thought this might be an appropriate time to bump this and ask about some of the loose ends that I'm not sure about. I bought the DVD last week and think it's a phenomenal movie btw.

1) What is in the small black box that Costello gives Sullivan right after the Academy graduation while they're sitting in the car?
2) Was it implied that Delahunt was also a cop? When his body is found, the reporters say he was an undercover cop, but then Costello claims they're just saying that so he won't suspect anyone else of being a cop. I think he was a cop cause he figured out that Costigan was the rat but didn't tell anyone.

[/ QUOTE ]

in the extended scene he rambled about he didn't think he would ever be able to kill someone

I dont believe he was a cop

catalyst 02-26-2007 04:24 AM

I thought it was pretty clear that delahunt was a cop.

Whoever said wahlberg was a rat is an idiot

headturner1 02-26-2007 04:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

maybe. maybe not. maybe [censored] yourself.

nebben 02-26-2007 04:34 AM

I don't really see what would have made Delahunt a cop. Not remembering that Costello said all that about them trying to trick him, I thought that they were just saying he was a cop to take heat off Costigan. Delahunt did try to say somethiing, but Costigan covered his mouth and his heart gave out right after?

RainDog 02-26-2007 04:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Unknown. Some of these things are intuitive, but not this one. I for one don't enjoy loose ends. This really holds me back from enjoying many Japanese films. It just doesn't seem to be as culturally important to tie films up in Japan.

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind a film ending with multiple possibilities. However, that purpose must be clear and the missing info should be pertinent to that purpose. Black box? Just gets on my nerves.

What bothered me even more was Damon/Nicholson's last interaction (ie. Jack getting shot). What is the point of Matt Damon's entire life up till this point (Building a father/son relationship with Jack Nicholson and risking the dirty cop life) if he is simply going to shoot ol' Jack on the grounds that "maybe" Dad dropped his name to the FBI. The dialogue was anti-climatic and left me wanting something...I don't know what.

Brilliant acting and directing in this flick. Lackluster script.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I felt he was a cop. It would be stretching things to read Delahunt's lines any differently,"Ask me why I didn't tell anyone?" come on...he was a copper

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

LMFAO! You mean you all missed it? Duh! She was undercover FBI. 2+2 didn't even get this? No wonder cinema is dumbed down these days. The shrink was [censored] them all. This is how Dingham got the info on Damon's character. She was also screwing ol' Jack. That's how she got him to go undercover for the feds...pillow talk baby...it's all pillow talk

Also, the baby was obviously Alec Baldwin's. This was the lie she was talking about when she tells Damon "I thought I was the dishonest one".

sublime 02-26-2007 05:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I thought it was pretty clear that delahunt was a cop.

[/ QUOTE ]

i felt he wasnt. i mean you can of course argue otherwise, sicne there was no evidence to prove he wasnt....but the movie made me believe jack when he said it was a ploy....just made too much sense.

felson 02-26-2007 06:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I felt he was a cop. It would be stretching things to read Delahunt's lines any differently,"Ask me why I didn't tell anyone?" come on...he was a copper

[/ QUOTE ]

if delahunt were a cop, he would just tell costigan, rather than say this. there's no reason for him to be so cryptic on his deathbed. plus, i think delahunt was shooting at the actual cops too.

also, there's never any indication that the police force has any more inside information than costigan provided. with the 2nd dirty cop, there were hints dropped, like the way that the chinese deal was done, knowing where the cameras were.

felson 02-26-2007 06:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe. Maybe not. Maybe [censored] yourself

[/ QUOTE ]

awesome.

i wish he had won the oscar.

splashpot 02-26-2007 08:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Delahunt did try to say somethiing, but Costigan covered his mouth and his heart gave out right after?

[/ QUOTE ]
Delahunt's dying words were "Ask me why I didn't tell anyone"