Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   2007 Pac 10 mens basketball thread (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=304487)

JaredL 01-12-2007 01:39 AM

2007 Pac 10 mens basketball thread

OK win today by Oregon at Arizona State. I would have liked to see us stay out in front and not let them back into it after being up 13, but an away win the PAC 10 is good. Especially since this had the high potential to be a letdown game. I think ASU will surprise some teams at home this year. The game Sunday should be huge.

WSU had a nice win at Cal. Didn't see it but the scoreline was impressive 73 - 56.

Washington - Stanford just went final. Another loss for Washington.

Right now there are 5 one-loss teams. Should be an excellent season.

Tough to predict right now. Obviously the natural top 2 are UCLA and Arizona, but this year I could see Oregon and maybe even the guys in Pullman winning. Conference champ could easily have 4 losses.

blackjack777 01-12-2007 02:04 AM

Re: 2007 Pac 10 mens basketball thread

Yep, should be a good season, with 5 teams going to the tourney then going 1-5, leading the rest of the country to tell us how much we suck.

Green Kool Aid 01-12-2007 02:11 AM

Question for Pac-10/Cal fans.

Leon Powe. Hes received limited minutes for my Celtics, but he was 20/10 in this tough conference last year. I thought he had an Elton Brand type game. What's the scoop on him if youve seen him at Cal?

Taraz 01-12-2007 04:41 AM

Nice win by my boys at Stanford tonight. I thought it was strange that they were favored against Washington, but I guess those handicappers know what they are doing.

With regard to Leon Powe, he was a beast before that knee injury. I only saw him play right after he came back and he was still good, but not nearly the same.

trying2learn 01-12-2007 01:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
...The game Sunday should be huge...

...Obviously the natural top 2 are UCLA and Arizona, but this year I could see Oregon and maybe even the guys in Pullman winning.

[/ QUOTE ]

With all due respect, Sunday is a 'kinda' big game. The odds of the ducks shocking UA in Tucson are long. Oregon has a very nice team this year, and I think the game in Eugene will be a very big game for these two schools...as a sweep has been expected most if not all of the last 15 years.

Oregon, WSU, and USC (one upstart I think you're overlooking) are all going to be teams with wins over the big two this year - but thinking Oregon can pull it in back to back weeks is wishful thinking.

Granted, I'm amazingly biased.

BEAR DOWN. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

rwperu34 01-12-2007 01:18 PM

Arizona State gets their chance at a Pac 10 win on Saturday!

nolanfan34 01-12-2007 01:20 PM

Nice win for the Cougs over Cal. I was really worried about a letdown after they made the top-25 (see: Cougar teams, Football). Really impressive that they jumped out to a lead early, and didn't let up in the second half.

Stanford should be a good battle this weekend. They seem to have some size inside, that the Cougs lack.

MoreWineII 01-12-2007 04:12 PM

Yeah I'm surprised USC isn't getting a bit more run.

I'm a Duck fan but I'm not going to say anything now that might haunt me later. We'll see. So far signs are positive.

nolanfan34 01-12-2007 05:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm a Duck fan but I'm not going to say anything now that might haunt me later. We'll see. So far signs are positive.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sums up my feelings too about the Cougs, too scared to get too excited.

CardSharpCook 01-12-2007 08:06 PM

1. UCLA
2. Arizona
3. WSU
4. USC
5. Oregon
6. UW
7. Cal
8. Stanford
9. Oregon St.
10. Arizona St.

That's my rankings. In all honesty, though, ranking the top 6 is difficult and I could see any one of those teams winning either the regular season or the tourney. I've been very impressed with USC, hence ranking them above Oregon, which beat UCLA. I may have overranked WSU, but they look very good.

Zeno 01-12-2007 10:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1. UCLA
2. Arizona
3. WSU
4. USC
5. Oregon
6. UW
7. Cal
8. Stanford
9. Oregon St.
10. Arizona St.

That's my rankings. In all honesty, though, ranking the top 6 is difficult and I could see any one of those teams winning either the regular season or the tourney. I've been very impressed with USC, hence ranking them above Oregon, which beat UCLA. I may have overranked WSU, but they look very good.

[/ QUOTE ]

Given that it is still early in the season the list seems reasonable. Things will shake out more by the begining of February. Team depth and coaching acumen will come into play more towards the end of the season in my opinion. And the Pac-10 teams will beat up on each other - we haven't seen the last of 'upsets'. Good College Basketball coming up. Go Ducks!

-Zeno

Semtex 01-12-2007 11:50 PM

USC UCLA should be interesting tomorrow. Two weeks ago I would have said UCLA was a lock. I am f-in miffed I didn't get the lottery so I'll be watching this game at home...

CardSharpCook 01-13-2007 01:09 AM

agreed. Looking forward to the Bruins proving me wrong and blowing out SC.

CardSharpCook 01-13-2007 08:48 PM

Wow, hell of a game today. SC deserves to be ranked. 3-2 vs. top 25 teams and just a very talented squad. Glad my boys were able to eek out a victory here after being down by 10 late in the 2nd.

Taraz 01-13-2007 10:49 PM

Stanford had a big win against Washington State today too. My boy Anthony Goods had 30 and the game winning 3.

That guy Weaver on WSU had a triple double. Kind of nuts for college.

rwperu34 01-13-2007 11:59 PM

ASU blew their shot at a win. 0-18 in Pac 10 play is now in their sights!

pikachu 01-14-2007 11:01 PM

Oregon beats Arizona @ McKale

Brooks banks a runner with two seconds left for the win!!

[img]/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img]

Zeno 01-14-2007 11:12 PM

Re: Oregon beats Arizona @ McKale

Great Game! Both teams gave it their all, Ducks squeek another win and a big one on Arizona's home court.

Go Ducks! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

-Zeno

JaredL 01-14-2007 11:23 PM

Re: Oregon beats Arizona @ McKale

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

CardSharpCook 01-15-2007 01:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
ASU blew their shot at a win. 0-18 in Pac 10 play is now in their sights!

[/ QUOTE ]

0-19. They can't get out of playing Cal in the Pac10 tourney. Everyone gets invited.

ChromePony 01-15-2007 02:33 AM

Go Ducks!!!! Huuuge win, so happy right now!

JaredL 01-15-2007 03:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

...Obviously the natural top 2 are UCLA and Arizona, but this year I could see Oregon and maybe even the guys in Pullman winning.

[/ QUOTE ]

With all due respect, Sunday is a 'kinda' big game. The odds of the ducks shocking UA in Tucson are long. Oregon has a very nice team this year, and I think the game in Eugene will be a very big game for these two schools...as a sweep has been expected most if not all of the last 15 years.

[/ QUOTE ]

So are we still expecting a sweep?

Tiburon 01-15-2007 04:19 AM

Watch out for Cal's Ryan Anderson this year. He's just a freshman and is currently third in scroing (#1 frosh). He's 6'10 and shoots better than most guards. Combine that with his nice touch around the basket and he's gonna continue being a dominate force in the Pac10.

trying2learn 01-15-2007 12:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Here to officially eat crow. I have to admit, all second half I kept telling my wife - eventually they'll miss a couple of these threes they're jacking...but they didn't. Then I said, well eventually we'll out run them if they keep trying to push it on us...but we didn't.

I guess I'm still myopic enough to think we're the better team...but Oregon is even more for real then I thought they were, and the Pac 10 is proving to just be outright brutal this year. I think we could get 6 teams into the dance possibly...and STILL be leaving out a qualified team. (Stanford being the longshot at 7).

Great game ducks...my buddy is an Oregon alumn and he's having a field day with me today.

MoreWineII 01-15-2007 01:24 PM

That was an awesome game to watch. Man the Pac-10 is fun this year.

JaredL 01-15-2007 04:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Here to officially eat crow. I have to admit, all second half I kept telling my wife - eventually they'll miss a couple of these threes they're jacking...but they didn't. Then I said, well eventually we'll out run them if they keep trying to push it on us...but we didn't.

I guess I'm still myopic enough to think we're the better team...but Oregon is even more for real then I thought they were, and the Pac 10 is proving to just be outright brutal this year. I think we could get 6 teams into the dance possibly...and STILL be leaving out a qualified team. (Stanford being the longshot at 7).

Great game ducks...my buddy is an Oregon alumn and he's having a field day with me today.

[/ QUOTE ]

Naturally I'm as biased as you are here. You're basically not going to outrun Oregon. They are ridiculously fast, reasonably deep, and the guys don't seem to ever get tired (they keep talking ad nauseum about Ernie's training regimen this off season where they went to the track and ran and ran and ran). Also, if Oregon is hitting threes, it's going to be very tough for basically any team to beat us. Naturally, when we're running cold from out there any team can.

I think in the next game you guys are going to be better off slowing it down a bit and working the ball inside. Oregon's biggest weakness is probably size on defense.

pikachu 01-16-2007 03:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Three teams in the top 11 this week. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

trying2learn 01-16-2007 04:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Three teams in the top 11 this week. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

If the season ended today - UCLA, USC, Oregon, WSU, Wasington, Stanford and Arizona should all be in the dance. Seven freaking teams sounds crazy...but I think they're each easily in the top 65 in the country. I know that's not how selection works...but even if you went top 50, I think it's pretty close. I feel sorry for the other three schools...when is there a break?!

dawade 01-17-2007 05:04 AM

I don't usually start following college hoops with much passion until conference play starts (ie: football season ends), but the PAC-10 is easily the best conference this year in college basketball, IMO.

UCLA,
'Zona,
Oregon
U-Dub,
Wazzu,
USC playing better,
Stanford.

The PAC-10 conference tourney should be a dandy.

blackjack777 01-17-2007 06:00 AM

They will beat up on each other a ton once league play really gets going, but I think we could see five teams in the dance from teh Pac-10

Semtex 01-17-2007 08:59 AM

Just got shafted in the Trojan-Zona lottery. Thats 0-2 in 2007. If this game plays out like the UCLA game I'm going to break something...

JaredL 01-17-2007 02:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just got shafted in the Trojan-Zona lottery. Thats 0-2 in 2007. If this game plays out like the UCLA game I'm going to break something...

[/ QUOTE ]

What % of entrants get it?

Doubt that this has changed in the last few years, but Oregon didn't have a lottery it's just whoever shows up the earliest, though the system was slow enough that if you go in the morning of the first day that they are available you are guaranteed to get a ticket (actually they give out both of the week's games at once).

Semtex 01-17-2007 03:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What % of entrants get it?

Doubt that this has changed in the last few years, but Oregon didn't have a lottery it's just whoever shows up the earliest, though the system was slow enough that if you go in the morning of the first day that they are available you are guaranteed to get a ticket (actually they give out both of the week's games at once).

[/ QUOTE ]
Trojan basketball attendance has bordered on pathetic during my entire college career. Actually, not bordered. Every game was guaranteed to have more away fans than home (except maybe the UCLA game). This is why it was impossible to build a program here...who would want to come play for a program where every game was an away game?

They just built the new Galen Center, presumably to boost attendance and therefore begin building a legit program. Supposedly a lot of people want to go to games now, and I'm guessing USC wants to avoid huge lines in a rather crowded part of South Central (which would result from first come first served). Hence lottery. I have heard the student allotment is pretty pathetic, like one or two thousand, which doesn't surprise me. USC is a money-grubbing machine. The football fiasco this year resulting from them giving away the 50 yard line seats and a few thousand other student seats for various donors was pretty big.

CardSharpCook 01-17-2007 10:15 PM

1 or 2k is a decent sized allotment for college hoops. I mean, it's cool what Duke does, but most programs do it the other way. At UNLV, it's like a 200 seat student allotment (and always underattended) and those seats are behind the basket. UCLA seems to be about a 1k student section.

BTW, anyone here believe UW has been overranked/rated all year long? I mean, Brockman and Hawes are pretty good, and it seems like the team should be good, but let's be honest, they lost by 20 to a not very good Gonzaga team, beat LSU at home, and played 10 other weak OOC games against teams like Eastern Washington and U of Idaho (winning all those games). Now they are 1-4 in pac 10 play?

Moozh 01-19-2007 01:16 AM

I wouldn't say UW was overrated as much as people overlooked the disadvantage of playing a young roster. Look a the ducks last year, exact same players but give them a year to grow up and they're playing great. UW is a good team that is just struggling because of its youth.

capone0 01-19-2007 01:35 AM

Looks like Zona is about to lose again. Should the Heels be worried? Zona should be motivated in this weekends matchup.

Jameso 01-19-2007 02:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
BTW, anyone here believe UW has been overranked/rated all year long? I mean, Brockman and Hawes are pretty good, and it seems like the team should be good, but let's be honest, they lost by 20 to a not very good Gonzaga team, beat LSU at home, and played 10 other weak OOC games against teams like Eastern Washington and U of Idaho (winning all those games). Now they are 1-4 in pac 10 play?

[/ QUOTE ]

Brockman doesn't seem to bring it every night and Dentmon has been a pretty big disappointment so far. Hawes started the year with an injury and has been fighting the flu lately. Overated? Absolutely. I see them getting swept by UCLA, Arizona, Oregon, and WSU, and the best they can do vs. USC, Cal, and Stanford is split. They'll be very lucky to go 9-9 in the PAC-10, but 7-11 is more realistic. I see an NIT bid in their future unless they learn to play some serious defense. Too young, brutal conference. Go Dawgs!

Moozh 01-19-2007 03:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Brockman doesn't seem to bring it every night and Dentmon has been a pretty big disappointment so far. Hawes started the year with an injury and has been fighting the flu lately. Overated? Absolutely. I see them getting swept by UCLA, Arizona, Oregon, and WSU, and the best they can do vs. USC, Cal, and Stanford is split. They'll be very lucky to go 9-9 in the PAC-10, but 7-11 is more realistic. I see an NIT bid in their future unless they learn to play some serious defense. Too young, brutal conference. Go Dawgs!

[/ QUOTE ]

Remember that Aaron Brooks will not play for Oregon at Washington as a suspension for throwing an elbow at Appleby during last season's Pac-10 tournament. I think Washington has a very good chance in that game.

Semtex 01-19-2007 03:28 AM

Sweet USC should bust into the top 25 after this. Most excellent...

nolanfan34 01-20-2007 10:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Remember that Aaron Brooks will not play for Oregon at Washington as a suspension for throwing an elbow at Appleby during last season's Pac-10 tournament. I think Washington has a very good chance in that game.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL, still think so?