Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Medium Stakes (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   Easy fold with JJ? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=299895)

GTL 01-06-2007 11:24 AM

Easy fold with JJ?

this is basically a line check.

Pokerstars 2-4NL. Villain is running about 20/12 and I don't have any reads on him other than I haven't seen him do anything bad. Haven't played any big pots with him. Only been at the table for about half an hour.

6 handed, villain has 550 and hero covers.

Hero is the SB with J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Villain opens in the CO to 14.

Hero raises to 55.

Villain thinks and calls.

(110) 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Hero bets 90, Villain calls

(290) 10 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Hero checks, Villain bet 120, Hero?

luckychewy 01-06-2007 11:29 AM

Re: Easy fold with JJ?

if u are who i think u are ur a giant nit so u should fold. play more hands u nit.

GTL 01-06-2007 11:32 AM

lucky, I might be who you think I am. It's really funny that you say that because I have been running badly and have been experimenting with playing 2-4 as a super nit. Very funny that you would post that. I have been playing badly for the last month or so and have been playing uber tight. probably around 15 or 16/9. usually i'm up in the 22 to 23 range. pm me who you think I am.

GTL 01-06-2007 11:36 AM

by the way chewy. i lost a 400 dollar pot today when I 4-bet Zanjong all in pre with A 10 of spades. His KK held up.

Hattifnatt 01-06-2007 11:38 AM

If you are running bad, dont play super nitty, move down a level or play full ring instead.

GTL 01-06-2007 11:44 AM

i'm not playing super nitty post flop, just preflop. You're right about moving down hattifnatt, but I didn't do it. And I am pulling out of the slump anyways.

FireStorm 01-06-2007 01:35 PM

Your hand is foldable here on the turn, you're not beating much, and one hand (TT) that you were beating just got there, I don't mind a fold here. I'm sure some might say to bet the turn, then again, check seems OK to me.

I'm not sure about the preflop reraise size. $55 is quite large, no? Seems like you're creating a situation where very few worse hands enter the pot against you. $45 seems like a better number.

Ellsworth T 01-06-2007 01:43 PM

I'm fairly certain this hand was against me, not positive but it looks very familiar, and if this is the hand I held KQs.

Megenoita 01-06-2007 01:57 PM

Check/fold turn.

jmxthievez 01-06-2007 02:34 PM

do 2-4 regs float with KQs in a spot like this? Or even call that pf reraise?

callme 01-06-2007 02:42 PM

Thats a [censored] position if you get called on the flop and dont improve on the turn where you often have to muck hands even for a very small bet.
I think against only one PF-Raiser raise less like 40 or 45 (like somebody else stated) and already decide on the flop what you are gonna do if you going to get called (fold / AI) and therefore choose the appropriate amount for money betting on the flop (less if you think you might not be good if called / more if you gonna go to showdown).

Anyways - doesnt his bet on the turn looks really weak - like AK or AQ? I mean he has to fear that you might C/R AI, maybe he really is just trying to steal in this spot and if this not works limit his losses? I think it would be player dependent but i really had to decide if to push or fold here.

callme 01-06-2007 02:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
do 2-4 regs float with KQs in a spot like this? Or even call that pf reraise?

[/ QUOTE ]

I do if people start reraising me too often. Sometimes i even do it with middle pair (hoping for my set, and figuring out if i dont hit, if the other guy might not like the board that much) and then just take the line villian took in this hand.

FireStorm 01-06-2007 02:47 PM

If you actually did float this flop with KQs, I'm not sure I understand the 40% of pot turn bet.

callme 01-06-2007 02:59 PM

I think i never saw anybody calling in this spot - they ever push or fold knowing that there is no other way to finish this hand - okay that might be a very small bet, but without that bet it wouldnt have made Hero thinking about folding, right?

Requin 01-06-2007 03:10 PM

Your big flop bet makes this tougher. I'd probably peel.

Oh if you're a nit fold.

GTL 01-06-2007 04:51 PM

big flop bet? 90 into 110 is not a big flop bet.

GTL 01-06-2007 04:53 PM

i think betting half the pot on this flop is really bad, especially if I am going to fold to a raise.

MoDOH 01-06-2007 05:08 PM

I really donīt understand the huge preflop raise...

What was your reasoning?

GTL 01-06-2007 05:10 PM

50 bucks is a pot size raise. it's not a huge raise. i was kind of on autopilot, but this is the size I raise when there is an open and a caller.

EgoSlasher 01-06-2007 05:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
lucky, I might be who you think I am. It's really funny that you say that because I have been running badly and have been experimenting with playing 2-4 as a super nit. Very funny that you would post that. I have been playing badly for the last month or so and have been playing uber tight. probably around 15 or 16/9. usually i'm up in the 22 to 23 range. pm me who you think I am.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't have any super nits winning at anything above 200nl 6 handed in any of my databases.

GTL 01-06-2007 08:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't have any super nits winning at anything above 200nl 6 handed in any of my databases.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I guess I'm not a super nit.

FreakDaddy 01-06-2007 09:31 PM

I think this is one of those hands that highly depends on how you've been playing.

I'm still leading the turn for likely $140 and folding to a push. There's not much we're beating besides smaller pairs, and over cards, but I'm not just stoping because my flop bet was called. If I think my opponent believes I'm only 3-betting with a premium pair pre-flop, then this is a good place to check/fold of course. Otherwise, I'm plowing along and seeing how my opponent reacts to a turn bet. Do I want to commit half my stack? no... but I also don't want to open the window for my opponent to start floating me on the flop.

Again, how this plays depends highly into what you think your opponent believes your 3-bet range is, and what HIS 3-bet range is (meaning how he may think about the game). Tight = fold, Loose(or looser) = bet turn.

Isura 01-07-2007 01:13 AM

freakdaddy,

are you really leading turn for 140 w/ AK? or AA? I'm usually just shoving here or checking. I think that a lot of players will call this flop bet with any PP, but betting turn just turns our hand into air IMO. I like the check here because we are still ahead quite often, but betting just loses money against TT/QQ+ and gets worst to folds. I like calling this bet, and folding on a non-J river. I think he has 66/77/99 a lot given bet sizing and the pause PF.

FreakDaddy 01-07-2007 04:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
freakdaddy,

are you really leading turn for 140 w/ AK? or AA? I'm usually just shoving here or checking. I think that a lot of players will call this flop bet with any PP, but betting turn just turns our hand into air IMO. I like the check here because we are still ahead quite often, but betting just loses money against TT/QQ+ and gets worst to folds. I like calling this bet, and folding on a non-J river. I think he has 66/77/99 a lot given bet sizing and the pause PF.

[/ QUOTE ]

To answer your question, yes. However I bluff at a high frequency. If I were playing tight or fairly tagish, I prefer a check/call or check/fold like I said.

This is a pretty classic spot that I think kind of defines your overall poker game theory and how you approach many other situations.