Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Micro Stakes Limit (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   AA vs. caller (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=299166)

Absolution 01-05-2007 12:16 PM

AA vs. caller

Button in this hand is LPA. He likes to limp and cold call a lot preflop with suited connectors and probably only raises his premium hands. These are the type of players who overvalue implied odds. He will get tricky postflop and has raised a ragged board in the past and I folded. I don't use PT, but I estimate him to be around 40/8/1.5. I think I got too fancy in this hand:

.5/1 short handed

Dealt to hero A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Hero raises.
Folded to button who calls.
Blinds fold.

Flop is 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (5.5 SB)

Hero bets, Button raises, Hero calls.

I called here expecting to raise any safe turn card and get more out of him since I expect him to be raising a large range here.

Turn is 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (4.75 BB)

Hero checks, Button raises, Hero raises, Button raises, Hero...

Well that didn't go to plan. Now I'm lost and it doesn't look good. I probably have to call at least though because he could just have 2 pair.

unterfish 01-05-2007 12:42 PM

Re: AA vs. caller

[ QUOTE ]

I called here expecting to raise any safe turn card and get more out of him since I expect him to be raising a large range here.

[/ QUOTE ]
This seems to be sound strategy. I usually 3-pop it on the flop. Is the above line better?
Anyway, as you played it, I would call down from the turn on. Villains in 6max games, especially aggressive ones like to get fancy with air sometimes.

Befolder 01-05-2007 12:47 PM

GRUNCH

Accoring to your read, you think he may have hit this flop (probably a draw).

Against a loose aggressive player, it's a mistake to get fancy in my opinion. They're going to give us the max amount of money usually anyway because they like raising.

So I 3 bet the flop, lead the turn and call a raise.

jrz1972 01-05-2007 12:48 PM

I don't see a big problem with this hand. I normally 3-bet the flop and lead the turn, but I use your line from time to time as well, and it's probably only a 1 sb difference on this hand.

I think you're pretty much committed to showing this down.

davelin 01-05-2007 12:49 PM

I think your line is fine here if you believe Villain with c-bet the turn with most of his holdings. 3-betting the flop and leading the turn is perfectly acceptable as well.

I don't see what else you can do but call down from here on out.

ninenine_zoe 01-05-2007 12:51 PM

your line is good when you know he will bet the turn no matter what. since the flop is very drawy and he could have any kind of a draw like OESD, FD or 1 pair+gutshot, i would prefer a flop 3-bet (you are out of position) and i would just calldown when facing more resistance.
im calling the turn 3bet and showing down.

jrz1972 01-05-2007 12:54 PM

Since everybody is focusing on the choice between Absolution's line and the "3-bet the flop and lead the turn" line, it's worth noting that this is the sort of villain you should strongly consider using Absolution's line against. LAG's will rarely take a free card on the turn after you slow down on the flop, so going for a c/r is partilarly reasonable in this case. I'd be a lot less inclined to do this against a villain who was more thoughtful postflop.

Absolution 01-05-2007 12:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Since everybody is focusing on the choice between Absolution's line and the "3-bet the flop and lead the turn" line, it's worth noting that this is the sort of villain you should strongly consider using Absolution's line against. LAG's will rarely take a free card on the turn after you slow down on the flop, so going for a c/r is partilarly reasonable in this case. I'd be a lot less inclined to do this against a villain who was more thoughtful postflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

That was my thinking basically. This guy likes to try and push me off hands postflop, which is why he calls a lot preflop. When you peel the flop against these guys they think you will fold the turn when they continue. The only downside is that I might lose him if a scare card comes on the turn. I use this line against the guys that always raise their small pp on ragged flops as well. I think the key against these players is to play lower variance by checking and calling a lot when they show aggression so that they never get the implied odds they are looking for.

TomTom 01-05-2007 12:58 PM

I've seen plays like this with little pairs when crap flops and they have me on unimproved overs. If I 3-bet or cap the flop I get them to fold, if I call they'll bet the turn 100% and let me re-raise. That usually shuts them down unless they have a real hand (2 pair or a set).

Given your read of post flop aggressive I'd have hold my nose and call this down.

unterfish 01-05-2007 01:06 PM

Well. What is your line then?
3-betting flop or check-raising turn?

DrModern 01-05-2007 01:47 PM

I like your line here, Absolution. I can't see not showing this down.

unterfish 01-05-2007 02:15 PM

So, calling and check-raising the turn here is nice?
(Still thinking about my 6max-play. And obviously showing down is the standard line here. No?)

Absolution 01-05-2007 02:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So, calling and check-raising the turn here is nice?
(Still thinking about my 6max-play. And obviously showing down is the standard line here. No?)

[/ QUOTE ]

Both lines are acceptable as people have said. I think my line is better against this particular type of opponent because he likes to try and push me around post flop. I don't want to scare him away on the flop and he will always make a continuation bet. I'm pretty sure I'm beat on the turn, but I have outs against 2 pair or a set and I'm ahead of an overplayed draw. When I get to the river I'll probably call just because the pot is large enough. In the end he probably doesn't make enough in the long run to make up for his preflop play either way.

unterfish 01-05-2007 02:45 PM

Still listening... [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
But why are you sure youre beat on the turn?
97?
Why are you still calling if you know your are beat?

Absolution 01-05-2007 02:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Still listening... [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
But why are you sure youre beat on the turn?
97?
Why are you still calling if you know your are beat?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I'm beat on the turn because I've shown a lot of strength this hand and he doesn't care. I call because against the range of hands he plays this way I still have outs. On the river I call just in case he was overplaying top pair or a busted draw.

Big Folder 01-06-2007 08:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you are too far ahead here to wait for the turn. I'm trying to remember back to SSHE's TT v. AA example where waiting to the turn isn't worth it for AA, but TT has a lot more cards that it loses to. AA here, even with a coordinated board. Odds of him having 68 or 63 are slim, but a set is a good possibility. I'd rather raise him on the flop. If he caps I reevaluate there.