Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   bill walton qoutes (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=298982)

kordothebear 01-05-2007 04:36 AM

bill walton qoutes

pretty simple, just post ur fav. bill walton qoutes, okay ill start

"John Stockton is one of the true marvels, not just of basketball, or in America, but in the history of Western Civilization!" Tom: "Wow, that's a pretty strong statement. I guess I don't have a good handle on world history." Bill: "Well Tom, that's because you didn't go to UCLA."

LionelHutz00 01-05-2007 04:48 AM

Re: bill walton qoutes

Nothing beats the time that he said that "Robert Horry is a defensive genius, but he's also a genius of the human spirit."

in48092 01-05-2007 04:48 AM

"Atrocious play by Walton." said about son luke while he was at Arizona(?).

JuntMonkey 01-05-2007 05:36 AM

1999 or 2000, Knick playoff game. Jeff Van Gundy claps.

"Jeff Van Gundy exploding with jubilation, overcome by emotion."

I wish I could remember more...I love when he says "best player ever" type stuff.

Assani Fisher 01-05-2007 05:40 AM

he was describing Dwyane Wade's physique one game and kept going on and on about how perfectly "sculpted" his muscles were and how he reminded him of some Greek God...absolutely hilarious.

Wondercall 01-05-2007 05:45 AM

[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] the big guy.

"THROW IT DOWN BIG MAN"

Rick Nebiolo 01-05-2007 06:17 AM

Can't remember any quotes off the top of my head this late but you young guys should have seen him play ball (maybe it's on cable). In his prime with UCLA and the NBA Blazers he was just phenomenal. Then he got injured and wasn't that good for a few years then played for the Celts in the mid-eighties and contributed to at least one championship. He had the best court sense of any center that has ever played.

He was listed as 6' 11" but if you look at Celtic team pictures he was at least two inches taller than Robert Parish (Parish was a little over seven foot tall). I remember him saying that he thought being listed at over seven foot tall would make him sound like a freak.

Not injured he would have had one of the top four careers for centers in basketball.

~ Rick

CardSharpCook 01-05-2007 06:24 AM

[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img][img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img][img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

bawcerelli 01-05-2007 11:21 AM

Billy described David Robinson as hitting the DNA lottery (since he's so ripped and is a genius as well). always thought that description was funny.

MuresanForMVP 01-05-2007 11:27 AM

"This is the single worst display of basketball I have EVER seen in my LIFE!"

and it's awesome when he constantly rags on Shawn Bradley

1st and 15 01-05-2007 11:59 AM

Walton's parter talking about some big white euro player - "Person X used to be a hockey goalie until his feet got too big for the skates.

Walton - "Oh c'mon, goalies don't wear skates!"

catalyst 01-05-2007 12:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] the big guy.

"THROW IT DOWN BIG MAN"

[/ QUOTE ]

That makes me laugh every time.

Alobar 01-05-2007 12:05 PM

I cant stand bill walton, the man is an idiot and a horrible commentator. Id rather listen to john maddon for an hour than walton for 10 seconds.

tuq 01-05-2007 12:21 PM

Alobar,

Whoa, you watch sports?

[ QUOTE ]
john maddon

[/ QUOTE ]
Wait, apparently not. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Walton's fine in small doses, I just don't know how you Blazers fans can put up with him for the entire season.

lapoker17 01-05-2007 12:23 PM

good thread.

walton rules.

cecil 01-05-2007 12:32 PM

i had courtside seats to a pistons playoff game a couple years back. walton walked about five feet infront of me and i proceeded to scream, at the top of my lungs, BIIIIHIHILLLLL!! he turned around, gave me a thumbs up, and kept on walking. one of my prouder moments.

quadzilla 01-05-2007 12:33 PM

He was doing the finals in '97 I think and Shandon Anderson's Dad had just died of cancer. Anderson missed a layup and Walton in his usual condescending tone said, "Shandon Anderson... This is the NBA finals...You gotta suck it up."

[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

wet work 01-05-2007 12:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
good thread.

walton rules.

[/ QUOTE ]

You gotta love a guy that wanted to have The Grateful Dead play a half time set at all the Portland home games. And was willing to help pay for it.

Shadowrun 01-05-2007 12:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Can't remember any quotes off the top of my head this late but you young guys should have seen him play ball (maybe it's on cable). In his prime with UCLA and the NBA Blazers he was just phenomenal. Then he got injured and wasn't that good for a few years then played for the Celts in the mid-eighties and contributed to at least one championship. He had the best court sense of any center that has ever played.

He was listed as 6' 11" but if you look at Celtic team pictures he was at least two inches taller than Robert Parish (Parish was a little over seven foot tall). I remember him saying that he thought being listed at over seven foot tall would make him sound like a freak.

Not injured he would have had one of the top four careers for centers in basketball.

~ Rick

[/ QUOTE ]

I humbly disagree.

BreakfastBurrito 01-05-2007 12:46 PM

"Adam Keefe is dominating this game!!"

"You're not gonna stop Matt Geiger with just one defender"

Ishfay 01-05-2007 12:59 PM

haha, the john stockton one is great.

During some knicks game where nothing was really happening on offense, walton disgustedly says, "too much standing around."
A split second later, some guy makes a little move and hits a jump shot. Walton perks up and enthusiastically says, "PERFECT EXUCUTION."

I also like, "That was the greatest pass of Kevin Garnett's career."

alebron 01-05-2007 01:16 PM

1995 Western Conference Finals, Rockets vs Spurs. Hakeem Olajuwon misses a free throw.

"Hakeem is having a brutal night at the line."

Snapper: "Bill, he's 10 for 13 tonight."

Walton, not missing a beat: "In a game like this, you have to be FOURTEEN for 13."

1996 NBA Finals, Bulls vs Sonics. Detlef Schrempf having a bad game:

"Bad shooting, bad passing, bad defending. Detlef doesn't deserve to be in the same GYM as Michael Jordan!"

1998 NBA Finals, Bulls vs Jazz. Karl Malone bricks a free throw.

(yelling) "Malone! Iron! PLEASE!"

2001 NBA Finals, Lakers vs Sonics. Iverson just drove the lane and took a hard foul. Marv makes a comment about how it might have been a flagrant.

"No way! If you're going to take it in among the trees, you're taking your life into your own hands."

There are so many more...

I.Rowboat 01-05-2007 01:23 PM

He's a nice guy, too. After his playing days were done, I used to see him at Grateful Dead and Jerry Garcia Band shows in the Bay Area, either dancing or just chilling -- kinda hard to miss, he towered over the rest of us. He was very approachable.

kidcolin 01-05-2007 01:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Alobar,

Whoa, you watch sports?

[ QUOTE ]
john maddon

[/ QUOTE ]

Walton's fine in small doses, I just don't know how you Blazers fans can put up with him for the entire season.

[/ QUOTE ]

whoa.. is he their local color guy? I did not know that. You sure?

After having this debate with TSC, I've got a little more love for Walton than I used to. I used to feel like Alobar.

Here's another quote: "STEVE NASH!"

And I forget who he called the greatest inbound passer of all time (Horry maybe?), but it was hilarious when he did.

Alobar 01-05-2007 01:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Alobar,

Whoa, you watch sports?

[/ QUOTE ]

shocking isnt it?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
john maddon

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

10K madden 07 fight yo?

I will say one nice thing about Walton, he doesnt favor his son AT ALL, youd never even know he was his kid listening to him during a game. I remember when he came in the league I was just dreading listening to Bill do a game he was in cuz I was sure it was going to be even worse than his normal awful commentary. So I give him props for that.

He is still a giant idiot tho.

tuq 01-05-2007 01:55 PM

kidcolin,

I am pretty sure Walton and Steve "Snapper" Jones are their two TV guys, but maybe TSC can verify that.

And yeah, the quotes in this thread are awesome - he's like a less spastic, funnier version of Dick Vitale. But if you want actual quality analysis you're gonna have to look elsewhere (Hubie Brown, Doug Collins).

skunkworks 01-05-2007 01:59 PM

Alobar,

In Bill Walton's defense, he has improved vastly in the past 4 years or so to the point where I actually enjoy his color commentary. But yes, before then, he was pretty much a joke. I think a lot of it had to do with him being nervous on-air and just constantly prattling on about nothing because he didn't know what else to do.

He actually says some really funny stuff now, and he can be insightful. Still not as good as Hubie though [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

SomethingClever 01-05-2007 02:01 PM

rofl.

Walton really toes the line between stupidity and genius, doesn't he?

kidcolin 01-05-2007 02:02 PM

Hubie is pretty much the best ever.

kidcolin 01-05-2007 02:03 PM

SC, you're from portland, right? Confirm or deny that Walton is your local color guy.

Yeti 01-05-2007 02:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]

1995 Western Conference Finals, Rockets vs Spurs. Hakeem Olajuwon misses a free throw.

"Hakeem is having a brutal night at the line."

Snapper: "Bill, he's 10 for 13 tonight."

Walton, not missing a beat: "In a game like this, you have to be FOURTEEN for 13."

[/ QUOTE ]

This is great.

Yeti 01-05-2007 02:06 PM

from google :

Tony Parker makes a pass, which gets deflected out of bounds by an opposing defender. Spurs ball, no big deal... Walton roars: "Tony Parker just made the worst pass... in the history of Western Civilization!"

CrazyEyez 01-05-2007 02:06 PM

Re: Luke

"He's single, he's living in southern California, and he's playing for the Lakers. If he's not having the time of his life, I've failed as a father!"

SomethingClever 01-05-2007 02:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
SC, you're from portland, right? Confirm or deny that Walton is your local color guy.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't! I don't have cable and therefore I never watch TV (the reception sucks with bunny ears).

claudenm 01-05-2007 02:08 PM

I used to HATE Bill Walton but I've come to appreciate him over the years.

Context: Knicks down 18 at home to the Kings midway through the third, playing awfully.

Quote: "IF the KINGS don't start playing better defense there is no way they are going to win this game."

hedxcold 01-05-2007 02:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Alobar,

In Bill Walton's defense, he has improved vastly in the past 4 years or so to the point where I actually enjoy his color commentary. But yes, before then, he was pretty much a joke. I think a lot of it had to do with him being nervous on-air and just constantly prattling on about nothing because he didn't know what else to do.

He actually says some really funny stuff now, and he can be insightful. Still not as good as Hubie though [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

the best was a few years ago when he started working with mike breen. he would just say wacky things and you could tell breen just wanted to laugh at him or come back with a joke. he used to work with Imus and he can be pretty funny.

F1shRapeMe 01-05-2007 02:35 PM

Stroke it, big man!

trotski 01-05-2007 02:46 PM

During a Sonics game a couple years back, Vlad Radmanovic hits a three pointer, and Walton goes off about how great a shape he's in, and says, "Look at the beautiful body, he just looks great."

DeezNuts 01-05-2007 02:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"Adam Keefe is dominating this game!!"

"You're not gonna stop Matt Geiger with just one defender"

[/ QUOTE ]

I love how he builds up the sorry white players. One time Kevin Garnett accidentally dribbled the ball off of his leg and out of bounds while Cherokee Parks was guarding him.

Walton: "I think Kevin Garnett is AFRAID of Cherokee Parks!"

I miss Walton broadcasting the Clippers games, he was much better at the local level than on NBC.

DN

Rick Nebiolo 01-05-2007 03:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I humbly disagree.

[/ QUOTE ]

About his height or that he would have been one of the top four centers in basketball? Also, in which direction would you disagree?

~ Rick