Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Pan's Labyrinth - Film by Guillermo Del Toro (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=294124)

snagglepuss 12-29-2006 09:57 PM

Pan\'s Labyrinth - Film by Guillermo Del Toro

saw the trailer for this few weeks ago and didn't think anything of it really.

however it has been getting some pretty sick good reviews across the board: 99% on rottentomatoes.com

obviously hellboy and blade 2 were awful films, so i was pretty skeptical. but with this film season being so flaccid, this is something i am now looking forward to and plan on catching when it opens.

Trailer at apple.com

jkkkk 12-29-2006 10:12 PM

Re: Pan\'s Labyrinth - Film by Guillermo Del Toro

Ever since I saw the trailer I've been dying to see this, but the nearest place that is showing it is London, [censored].

AE6 12-29-2006 10:15 PM

i would pass on this film without a second thought if not for rottentomatoes. seriously, they are very tough, and 99% is one of the best scores i have ever seen there. so even though this movie isn't really my type (and yes, i'm still mad that i got swindled out of 8 bucks by paying to see hellboy) i am very psyched for it.

cbloom 12-29-2006 10:18 PM

"Cronos" and "The Devil's Backbone" are both amazing. Guillermo seems to suck at Hollywood movies but rock when he does his own thing. I'm definitely looking forward to Pan.

Poon Jab 12-29-2006 10:22 PM

This is a pretty sweet film.

Saw a screener of it with no prior knowledge of the film whatsoever. I simply saw the word "labyrinth" and made the obvious connection.

For starters it's definitely not the "kids" movie i figured it would be. Has some VERY violent scenes in it and a decent amount of gore.

Is this being released in the US? The copy I've seen was in spanish with english subs.

Poon Jab 12-30-2006 08:00 PM

Other suggestions for movies by Del Toro?

spentrent 01-01-2007 11:56 AM

A friend of mine told me she had never been scared in a theater until she saw this. (El Laberinto del Fauno in Spain)

ticks 01-01-2007 12:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
saw the trailer for this few weeks ago and didn't think anything of it really.

however it has been getting some pretty sick good reviews across the board: 99% on rottentomatoes.com

obviously hellboy and blade 2 were awful films, so i was pretty skeptical. but with this film season being so flaccid, this is something i am now looking forward to and plan on catching when it opens.

Trailer at apple.com

[/ QUOTE ]

I've seen it and it is very good.
No similarities with hellboy or blade 2 at all.

siccjay 01-01-2007 12:33 PM

This looks awesome. I don't think it's comin out here soon though. Hurray for the internet!

Case Closed 01-01-2007 12:44 PM

I don't get this or children of men around me. Lame.

Poon Jab 01-02-2007 01:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't get this or children of men around me. Lame.

[/ QUOTE ]

You have the internet, make use of it.

sushijerk 01-02-2007 01:15 AM

Saw this in NYC on Saturday. A beautifully made movie with none of the forced shtick of Hellboy. However keep in mind that it is in Spanish with subtitles. A couple of idiots in the theater apparently didn't know and wouldn't stop bitching about it.

Poon Jab 01-02-2007 01:43 AM

I didn't look at any of the above links in the OP but why on earth is this movie being repeatedly compared with Hellboy in this thread?

Duke 01-02-2007 03:12 AM

Yeah I'm looking for US release dates, and I got nothing. I really want to take my niece to see it.

Duke 01-02-2007 03:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I didn't look at any of the above links in the OP but why on earth is this movie being repeatedly compared with Hellboy in this thread?

[/ QUOTE ]

Same director.

El Diablo 01-02-2007 03:14 AM

Duke,

How old is your niece?

Duke 01-02-2007 03:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Duke,

How old is your niece?

[/ QUOTE ]

7, but she's not a normal 7 year old.

CharlieDontSurf 01-02-2007 03:25 AM

think this might be a bit much for a even a old 7 year old
u might want to watch it first without her

Duke 01-02-2007 03:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the warning. For a point of reference, is there some other film that it would compare to as far as how disturbing it is? She's seen Se7en, Requiem For a Dream, and the Saw movies. Those are the most disturbing that I can recall off the top of my head. She's seen all the older (80s) horror movies too, but those are pretty comical by today's standards.

CharlieDontSurf 01-02-2007 04:02 AM

She's seen Se7en!
lol nevermind then

microbet 01-02-2007 04:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the warning. For a point of reference, is there some other film that it would compare to as far as how disturbing it is? She's seen Se7en, Requiem For a Dream, and the Saw movies. Those are the most disturbing that I can recall off the top of my head. She's seen all the older (80s) horror movies too, but those are pretty comical by today's standards.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thinking about a seven year old watching Saw or Se7en is going to give me nightmares.

CheckRaise 01-02-2007 04:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Directors Cut? Either way that is pretty [censored] up.

TBickle 01-02-2007 04:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]

obviously hellboy and blade 2 were awful films, so i was pretty skeptical.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't care much for Hellboy, but I didn't think it was 'awful'.. and as for Blade 2, I thought it was terrific.

jimpo 01-02-2007 04:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]

obviously hellboy and blade 2 were awful films,

[/ QUOTE ]

WTH man, no.

jimpo 01-02-2007 04:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's really not cool to let 7 year olds watch that disturbing movies. No matter how cool the 7 year old thinks those movies are, or how cool the 7 year old thinks the adult is for letting her watch the movies.

Compared to those examples, Pan's Labyrinth is not that bad, but few movies are.

Duke 01-02-2007 05:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's really not cool to let 7 year olds watch that disturbing movies. No matter how cool the 7 year old thinks those movies are, or how cool the 7 year old thinks the adult is for letting her watch the movies.

Compared to those examples, Pan's Labyrinth is not that bad, but few movies are.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's no way to explain it without sounding like I'm biased and think she's different (and far more mature) than other kids. Let's just leave it with the idea that I did NOT take her straight from Sesame Street and Jimmy Neutron to Hellraiser. That would indeed be really screwed up.

El Diablo 01-02-2007 05:49 AM

Duke,

Taking a seven year old to those graphic movies seems really, really wrong. No f'ing sh*t she's different than other kids what with getting introduced to on-screen girl-on-girl anal action at six or seven years old.

blackize 01-02-2007 06:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Let's just leave it with the idea that I did NOT take her straight from Sesame Street and Jimmy Neutron to Hellraiser.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lol my dad did exactly that. When I was 8 and my brother 6 my mom and sister went out of town to visit one of her close friends hours away. The 3 guys were going to have a "sleepover" in the basement and we went to pick up some movies. Somehow we ended up with Friday the 13th and Hellraiser.

We watched Hellraiser first and I was terrified. A few months later we moved into a new home in which the attic door was in my room. Obviously this was terrifying enough but occasionally squirrels would get stuck in there and they would scratch at the walls in the middle of the night. It was a horrifying couple of years to say the least.

Duke 01-02-2007 07:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Duke,

Taking a seven year old to those graphic movies seems really, really wrong. No f'ing sh*t she's different than other kids what with getting introduced to on-screen girl-on-girl anal action at six or seven years old.

[/ QUOTE ]
1. I draw the line at the sex stuff, and that scene is the reason that I wasn't the one to show her that. I'm going to wager that she didn't realize what they were doing in that scene anyhow, and if she did she'd be saying "yuck."

2. She was comforting my sister after that movie saying things like: "Come on mommy, it's just a movie. They should probably show that to kids in school so they don't use drugs."

3. With that information, I was later able to stumble on something that does actually scare her, and that's mecha. The ED-209 scene in Robocop scared the hell out of her the first time she saw it (though the scene where Murphy gets shot up initially had her laughing (she thought it looked fake)).

4. My personal contribution to her growth in film are a few Anime that I think are well done, all of the recent comic book movies, Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure, Back to the Future, and Snakes on a Plane. Oh, and the old slasher movies. Knowing that she'd seen Se7en and Saw, well, I knew that she'd laugh at the effects in Nightmare on Elm Street, and figure it's a good one to have seen.

So yeah, I'm not trying to corrupt an innocent little kid. Any damage was already done, and not by me. And talking to her, well, I don't think any damage was done. She thinks that the kids in her school are retarded, reads math books for fun, plays with toys, builds things with legos, plays video games - she's basically an OOTer...

OK, I see your point.

Nicholasp27 01-02-2007 11:41 AM

i saw this over the weekend and it was very good

i recommend seeing it when it comes out in theaters

Austiger 01-02-2007 11:59 AM

Hellboy was pretty good I thought. Devil's Backbone was overrated.

Wires 01-02-2007 12:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hellboy was pretty good I thought.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lots of hate for Hellboy which I enjoyed. Didn't see it until video with zero expectations going in though - maybe that helped.

geormiet 01-02-2007 12:20 PM

Would you rather have your 7 year old watch sex on the screen or watch violence?

Also I saw this movie last night and some of the monsters i think would scare the hell out of a kid, more than anything in saw or se7en. The kid might not fully understand everything in those other movies, but will def get the full effect of the monsters in pan's labyrhinth.

Duke 01-02-2007 02:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Would you rather have your 7 year old watch sex on the screen or watch violence?

Also I saw this movie last night and some of the monsters i think would scare the hell out of a kid, more than anything in saw or se7en. The kid might not fully understand everything in those other movies, but will def get the full effect of the monsters in pan's labyrhinth.

[/ QUOTE ]

No on the sex. That would be pretty messed up for an uncle to watch with his niece. Violence would obviously (as I think my opinion is rather clear on this) depend on the kid in question.

I think that it's irresponsible to judge what's fitting for someone based on their age, without taking into account how they've felt about other things. I think it would be a terrible offense to take a typical 11 year old kid and show them a lot of PG-13 movies, since they're not mentally or emotionally mature enough to handle it without being scarred for life.

It's a judgment call, and must be handled on a case by case basis. I regularly warn my friends who have kids NOT to take their own kids to see movies that I took my niece to, and they're older than she is.

siccjay 01-13-2007 06:49 AM

Bump because I just watched this movie. Less Sci-fi than I expected, but pretty good.

Is it coming out in US theaters in english or will there be subtitles?

Case Closed 01-13-2007 08:11 AM

I saw this a couple of days ago in the US. Subtitles in english they spoke in spanish. It's really not much of a big deal, I think dubbing would be a bad thing.

I was very impressed with this movie. I highly recommend it to anyone.

Sciolist 01-13-2007 08:36 AM

I've heard this is excellent. I aquired a copy about 2 months ago, and haven't watched it yet... Hmm.

Case Closed 01-13-2007 09:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I've heard this is excellent. I aquired a copy about 2 months ago, and haven't watched it yet... Hmm.

[/ QUOTE ]

I suggest going to the theater if at all possible for this film.

siccjay 01-13-2007 09:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I suggest going to the theater if at all possible for this film.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I do too. If you have the same copy as me, it's not all that great quality. I watched the trailer after I finished the movie and it pissed me off. I have to see it in the theater now.

neuroman 01-13-2007 01:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was very impressed with this movie. I highly recommend it to anyone.

[/ QUOTE ]
Also, not watching Pan's Labyrinth on the big screen would be a mistake.