Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Basketball rules question... (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=291846)

maniacut 12-26-2006 08:49 PM

Basketball rules question...

Please tell me if this is a violation of any rule.. I receive a pass and don't dribble, pivot and jump as if to hoist a shot but see that i'm gonna get blocked so i drop the shot before i land and start dribbling... clear my mind please

ThaSaltCracka 12-26-2006 08:51 PM

Re: Basketball rules question...

Traveling I believe.

Artdogg 12-26-2006 08:54 PM

traveling

Green Kool Aid 12-26-2006 08:54 PM

misread OP.

OnlinePro 12-26-2006 09:03 PM

ya its traveling, the good old up and down.

Spellmen 12-26-2006 09:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Please tell me if this is a violation of any rule.. I receive a pass and don't dribble, pivot and jump as if to hoist a shot but see that i'm gonna get blocked so i drop the shot before i land and start dribbling... clear my mind please

[/ QUOTE ]

You can jump and then start dribbling in mid air, but if you tos up a half shot it's travelling because you can't catch your own airball

Assani Fisher 12-26-2006 09:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
but if you tos up a half shot it's travelling because you can't catch your own airball

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure that this USED TO be the rule. Kids on the play ground would call it "self pass." But about 7-10 years ago they changed the rule in the NBA that if the ref determined that your intent was to shoot at the basket(but you just missed completely) that it was legal.

gettym 12-26-2006 10:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
but if you tos up a half shot it's travelling because you can't catch your own airball

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure that this USED TO be the rule. Kids on the play ground would call it "self pass." But about 7-10 years ago they changed the rule in the NBA that if the ref determined that your intent was to shoot at the basket(but you just missed completely) that it was legal.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope.

SuperUberBob 12-26-2006 10:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
traveling

[/ QUOTE ]

Uncle Wimp 12-26-2006 11:02 PM

One of my rulebooks says:
"After coming to a stop and establishing a pivot foot:
a. The pivot foot may be lifted, but not returned to the floor, before the ball is released on a pass or try for goal.
b. If the player jumps, neither foot may be returned to the floor before the ball is released on a pass or try for goal.
c. The pivot foot may not be lifted, before the ball is released, to start a dribble."

fun160 12-27-2006 12:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
"The pivot foot may not be lifted, before the ball is released, to start a dribble."

[/ QUOTE ]

End of discussion, no?

Assani Fisher 12-27-2006 01:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope.

[/ QUOTE ]great point

Tiburon 12-27-2006 04:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, you cannot catch you're own airball if you moved you're pivot foot. If you haven't started dribbling, though, you could throw the ball and go get it yourself as long as it touches the floor first. They would call that self-pass on the playground, but it isn't.

OP: Traveling. Picked up pivot foot.

HitHard69 12-27-2006 05:13 AM

I got another bball question. 4 seconds left in the game, my teams up 2 points and I know the other teams going to try and foul. If I take the inbounds pass and immediatly throw it as high in the air as I can, can the other team foul me while the balls in the air, or do I win as long as the ball stays up four seconds?

Green Kool Aid 12-27-2006 09:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I got another bball question. 4 seconds left in the game, my teams up 2 points and I know the other teams going to try and foul. If I take the inbounds pass and immediatly throw it as high in the air as I can, can the other team foul me while the balls in the air, or do I win as long as the ball stays up four seconds?

[/ QUOTE ]

pretty sure fouling off the ball intentionally results in foul shot(s?) and the ball back.

it's why you have to foul the ballhandler in end of game situations.

generally there isnt enough time to do what you just described.

Aces McGee 12-27-2006 10:58 AM

If you have not established a pivot foot -- that is, if you have not moved your feet at all before jumping -- this is legal.

If you move either foot even a little bit before jumping, however, it's traveling.

-McGee

Assani Fisher 12-27-2006 01:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I tried this in a game once....I threw the ball too hard and it was a college gym so we didn't have the huge arena, and the ball hit the ceiling and the other team got the ball back and sent it to OT. Luckily we won in OT.

Also I believe that Magic Johnson rolled the ball down the court to take time off in a playoff game(I think against the Blazers) once.

Morphling29 12-27-2006 01:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I can say with 100 percent certainty that this is correct, except that the rule was changed in the NBA about 4 years ago and only applies to the NBA.

MoreWineII 12-27-2006 02:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I tried this in a game once....I threw the ball too hard and it was a college gym so we didn't have the huge arena, and the ball hit the ceiling and the other team got the ball back and sent it to OT. Luckily we won in OT.

Also I believe that Magic Johnson rolled the ball down the court to take time off in a playoff game(I think against the Blazers) once.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can someone commit a loose-ball foul away from the ball?

Bulldog 12-27-2006 03:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You can jump and then start dribbling in mid air, but if you tos up a half shot it's travelling because you can't catch your own airball

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrong. Must release the ball to start a dribble before lifting pivot foot.

Bulldog 12-27-2006 03:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Still can't go get your own airball in NBA. Always could and still can at other levels (NCAA-M, NCAA-W, NFHS).

Bulldog 12-27-2006 03:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Can someone commit a loose-ball foul away from the ball?

[/ QUOTE ]

Term "loose-ball foul" is an NBA-only term. And yes.

Bulldog 12-27-2006 03:48 PM

Here is a fun one:

What is the penalty for reaching?

How about over the back?

Tiburon 12-27-2006 05:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Here is a fun one:

How about over the back?

[/ QUOTE ]

Both are fouls. Also, if you intentionally foul a player without the ball, it is two shots and the ball back.

Aces McGee 12-27-2006 05:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Here is a fun one:

How about over the back?

[/ QUOTE ]

Both are fouls. Also, if you intentionally foul a player without the ball, it is two shots and the ball back.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's not very "fun." I'm pretty sure Bulldog is playing off the fact that going over someone's back isn't a foul; it's when you are on their back that is the problem.

-McGee

Tiburon 12-27-2006 07:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Here is a fun one:

How about over the back?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's not very "fun." I'm pretty sure Bulldog is playing off the fact that going over someone's back isn't a foul; it's when you are on their back that is the problem.

-McGee

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean if you jump clear over his head? Well, that's not a foul, but I've only seen it happen once, here.

Bulldog 12-28-2006 11:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Here is a fun one:

How about over the back?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

-McGee

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, neither are fouls. You won't find either term in a rule book, even though some older officials will incorrectly use them. There MUST be contact to have a foul, so a clean reach by a player going for the ball, or a rebound snagged from behind aren't fouls. In fact, while "reaching", if you hit the opponent's hand while in contact with the ball, also no foul. Wrist, arm, different story. That's a hold, a push, or illegal use of the hands.

Tiburon 12-29-2006 12:29 AM

I was assuming that by reaching you meant that the defender attempted a steal and hit the arm or body, which would be a foul. It is true, though, that a clean reach is not a foul. Here's another one: you are in the frontcourt on offense and being pressed. A teammate in the backcourt tries to advance the ball to you. You jump from the frontcourt, catch the ball in the air, and land in the backcourt. Is this a backcourt violation?

Here is an example of some poor officiating: One time one of my friends on our team shot a three, and on the way down he tripped and fell over a defenders foot. The ref called him for a technical foul! He said that my friend had flopped on purpose to try to get a foul call on the other player. First of all, it wasn't a flop and secondly, there is no penalty for flopping! Our team still gives him a hard time about that one.

Aces McGee 12-29-2006 10:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I was assuming that by reaching you meant that the defender attempted a steal and hit the arm or body, which would be a foul. It is true, though, that a clean reach is not a foul. Here's another one: you are in the frontcourt on offense and being pressed. A teammate in the backcourt tries to advance the ball to you. You jump from the frontcourt, catch the ball in the air, and land in the backcourt. Is this a backcourt violation?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure the answer is no, that since the ball has never crossed the midline, it's not backcourt.

-McGee

Tiburon 12-30-2006 12:31 AM

The ref may or may not actually call this, but it is technically backcourt. The player in the air has not established himself as a backcourt player yet, so he cannot catch the ball and land in the backcourt. His feet must first touch backcourt for it to not be a violation.

Aces McGee 12-30-2006 12:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The ref may or may not actually call this, but it is technically backcourt. The player in the air has not established himself as a backcourt player yet, so he cannot catch the ball and land in the backcourt. His feet must first touch backcourt for it to not be a violation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you have a citation of authority for this? I understand this concept as it applies to a player coming from the backcourt to the front court (and from out of bounds to inbounds). But my understanding of backcourt is that both players feet and the ball must cross midcourt for the offense to establish possession in the frontcourt, thereby making a backcourt violation possible.

So, in your example, while the player receiving the ball may technically be in the frontcourt since he hasn't established his feet in the backcourt, the ball still hasn't crossed midcourt. Therefore, no violation.

But I'll listen to you if you can tell me why I'm wrong.

-Mcgee

theTourne 12-31-2006 09:16 AM

I strongly agree with Aces.

theTourne 12-31-2006 09:32 AM

This thread prompted me to check out the NCAA rules:

http://www.ncaa.org/library/rules/20...ball_rules.pdf

Here's a dribbling violation of which I wasn't aware. You cannot pass the ball to yourself off the backboard (situation A below).

"A.R. 13. A1 dribbles and comes to a stop, after which A1 throws the ball: (a) against the opponent’s backboard and catches the rebound; or (b) against the official, immediately recovering the ball and dribbling again. RULING: A1 has committed a violation in both (a) and (b). Throwing the ball against an opponent’s backboard or an official constitutes another dribble, provided that A1 is first to touch the ball after it strikes the official or the backboard."

theTourne 12-31-2006 09:43 AM

Here is the frontcourt/backcourt section. Nothing specifically mentions Tiburon's point, and it would appear to back up Aces' claim that possession needs to be established in the front court. I've always gone by the "2 feet and the ball rule," but apparently 1 foot and the ball is enough if you catch the ball straddling the line, as long as the second foot is not touching the backcourt (i.e., is in the air). Sorry about the formatting.

Section 28. Front Court/Back Court

Art. 1. A team’s front court shall consist of that part of the playing court between its end line and the nearer edge of the division line, including its basket and the inbounds part of its backboard.

Art. 2. A team’s back court consists of the rest of the playing court, including its opponent’s basket and inbounds part of the backboard and the division line, excluding the mathematical edge nearest the team’s basket.

Art. 3. A live ball is in the front court or back court of the team in control as follows:

a. A ball that is in contact with a player or with the playing court shall be in the back court when either the ball or the player (either player when the ball is touching more than one) is touching the back court. It shall be in the front court when neither the ball nor the player is touching the back court.

A.R. 22. As Team A advances the ball from its back court toward its front court, A1 passes the ball to A2. A2 catches the ball while both feet are on the playing court with one foot on either side of the division line. In this situation, either foot may be the pivot foot. (a) A2 lifts the foot that is in the back court and then puts it back on the floor in the back court; or (b) A2 lifts the foot that is in the front court, pivots and puts it on the floor in the back court. RULING: In (a), back-court violation. When A2, while holding the ball, lifts the foot that was in the back court, the ball is in the front court. When A2’s foot touches in the back court, it shall be a violation. In (b), when A2 lifts the foot that is in the front court and places it down in the back court, the location of the ball has not changed. The ball is still in the back court and no violation has occurred. (See Rule 4-28.2.)

b. A ball that is not in contact with a player or the playing court retains the same status as when it was last in contact with a player or the playing court.

c. During a dribble from back court to front court, the ball shall be in the front court when both feet of the dribbler and the ball touch the playing court entirely in the front court.

Tiburon 12-31-2006 05:51 PM

Maybe I'm wrong about the backcourt rule. What I said earlier is the rule I was always taught. Even if it isn't the official rule, I would recommend to anyone playing to establish your feet in the backcourt anyway as the ref may call backcourt even if it isn't the right call.