Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   ask me about eyes (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=283453)

slim 12-14-2006 06:30 PM

ask me about eyes

i will do my best

jokerthief 12-14-2006 06:33 PM

Re: ask me about eyes

why

JMa 12-14-2006 06:39 PM

which eye operation is best: LASIK, lasek or PRK?

Blarg 12-14-2006 06:39 PM

whatever happened to people stating their qualifications up front?

slim 12-14-2006 06:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
why

[/ QUOTE ]
bc I'm a follower like everyone else

slim 12-14-2006 06:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
whatever happened to people stating their qualifications up front?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's internet, I can lie anyways so what's the point. I am an optometrist.

slim 12-14-2006 06:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
which eye operation is best: LASIK, lasek or PRK?

[/ QUOTE ]

No such thing as best bc what might be best for one patient might not be suitable for another. But in general , as far as speed ofvisual recovery, amount of pain, predictability......prob LASIK.

diebitter 12-14-2006 06:44 PM

I've seen a guy pop out his eye, dangle it down on a stalk, then jerk back his head to it arcs upwards, and catch it back in its socket.

Where can I learn this trick?

Dominic 12-14-2006 06:47 PM

please answer my question in this thread:

eyes never grow??

pokerraja 12-14-2006 06:48 PM

are you an md? i always get confused to whos who in the eye business.

dknightx 12-14-2006 06:49 PM

i got PRK about 1.5 years ago ... to this day, i sometimes wake up in the middle of the night and my eye(s) is super dry ... usually because the air is hot and dry (from a heater or just the environment). I usually wake up because it starts hurts when I move my eyes in my sleep (eye rubs against eye lid) ... i wake up and my eye is tearing up a lot, slightly swollen, and im super sensitive to light. Fix it by putting some eye drops in, and fall right back to sleep.

is there anything i can do to fix this? I tried using eye drop before bed ... and that seems to help. BTW, this probably happens once a week.

ThreeMartini 12-14-2006 06:52 PM

Does my Avatar have a slight Anisocoria on the right?

slim 12-14-2006 06:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No...I'm an OD. Everybody gets us confused. Think of it this way

Optician = Pharmacist
Optometrist = Family Doctor
Ophthalmologist (MD) = Surgeon

Optician dispenses the glasses/contacts based on the presciption by the optometrist or ophthalmologist but he's not a "DR". An Optometrist is a "DR" but not an MD....kinda like a dentist or chiropractor.

slim 12-14-2006 06:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've seen a guy pop out his eye, dangle it down on a stalk, then jerk back his head to it arcs upwards, and catch it back in its socket.

Where can I learn this trick?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd have to see it to believe it and then I can show you.

slim 12-14-2006 06:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i got PRK about 1.5 years ago ... to this day, i sometimes wake up in the middle of the night and my eye(s) is super dry ... usually because the air is hot and dry (from a heater or just the environment). I usually wake up because it starts hurts when I move my eyes in my sleep (eye rubs against eye lid) ... i wake up and my eye is tearing up a lot, slightly swollen, and im super sensitive to light. Fix it by putting some eye drops in, and fall right back to sleep.

is there anything i can do to fix this? I tried using eye drop before bed ... and that seems to help. BTW, this probably happens once a week.

[/ QUOTE ]

Definitely sounds like a dry eye problem and certainly can be a result of PRK especially if you had a high RX initially. You can try a thicker eye drop that lasts longer especially coupled with what are called punctal plugs which are little silicone plugs inserted into the tear ducts to prevent your tears from draining away. Ask you eye doc.

slim 12-14-2006 06:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Does my Avatar have a slight Anisocoria on the right?

[/ QUOTE ]

looks more like a iris coloboma to me. Hey no ECP's allowed on this thread!!

slim 12-14-2006 07:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]

eyes never grow??

[/ QUOTE ]

completely untrue.....eyeball growth is what causes nearsightedness.

wonderwes 12-14-2006 07:01 PM

So I wear contacts, hardly ever take them out. Well as the years has gone by my near sightness is now even worse. When I take them out my vision is bad. Very blurry. Will my vision need to have higher treatment than just contacts in a few years?

slim 12-14-2006 07:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So I wear contacts, hardly ever take them out. Well as the years has gone by my near sightness is now even worse. When I take them out my vision is bad. Very blurry. Will my vision need to have higher treatment than just contacts in a few years?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure what your question is. I can't tell you whether or not your prescription will get worse if that is what you are asking. But I'm pretty sure your RX is not nearly as bad as you think it is. Most patients descibe themselves as "blind" when their RX is average. What is your RX?

whodatdare 12-14-2006 07:15 PM

Is there any risk to wearing contacts while welding?

Frinkenstein 12-14-2006 07:16 PM

how does -6 fit on the scale of Rx severity?

oddjob 12-14-2006 07:20 PM

someone i used to work with, who supposedly researched the hell out of laser eye surgery, told me to just get the cheapest price, as they all use the same equipment, and the equipment does all the work. as it kinda made sense at the time, the more i thought about it, eye surgery didn't seem like the thing you want to discount shop.

any validity to what he said?

CheckRaise 12-14-2006 07:24 PM

How rare is it for someone to have 20/10 vision?

TheDudeAbides 12-14-2006 07:24 PM

Is it true that these eyes have seen a lot of love but they're never gonna see another one like I had with you?

Senor Cardgage 12-14-2006 07:26 PM

Are you aware of any successful treatments for congenital nystagmus?

BukNaked36 12-14-2006 07:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Optician = Pharmacist

Optician dispenses the glasses/contacts based on the presciption by the optometrist or ophthalmologist but he's not a "DR". An Optometrist is a "DR" but not an MD....kinda like a dentist or chiropractor.

[/ QUOTE ]

So which one of these is an OD?

Senor Cardgage 12-14-2006 07:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Optician = Pharmacist

[/ QUOTE ]

So which one of these is an OD?

[/ QUOTE ]

He is an optometrist.

Sigurd 12-14-2006 07:32 PM

How many lux should the lamp behind my monitor be emitting?

Kneel B4 Zod 12-14-2006 07:34 PM

are you no longer attracted to girls with great eyes b/c you stare are eyes all day?

Dominic 12-14-2006 07:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

eyes never grow??

[/ QUOTE ]

completely untrue.....eyeball growth is what causes nearsightedness.

[/ QUOTE ]

whew.

swede123 12-14-2006 07:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]

....kinda like a dentist or chiropractor.

[/ QUOTE ]

I love how you group dentists and chiropractors together like this, makes me smile.

Anyway. I haven't had an eye exam since forever, but I've noticed the sight in my right eye is diminishing ever so slowly (like, if I close one eye at a time while driving I can see stuff farther out with my left eye than with my right one). Would this be normal age related stuff that will just have to be remedied eventually by getting glasses, or is there risk for worsening my eye sight if I don't get proactive about it?

Swede

pokerraja 12-14-2006 07:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Optician = Pharmacist

[/ QUOTE ]

I follow your analogy, but don't agree with lumping a dentist or a chiropractor toghether. While a dentist is not an MD, they are basically the 'md' of the oral cavity. They can diagnose, treat, prescibe medication etc....

You say an optometrist is similar to a family doctor. Can they prescribe medication? Do they have MD to their name?

nutsflopper 12-14-2006 07:44 PM

I am told partaking in a certain activity that I am considering will result in blindness. Could you lead me to a reference where I can research further?

absoludicrous 12-14-2006 07:45 PM

I have these foggy spots on my right eye. It's like they're floating over my iris and pupil, and I can see them, they're very foggy though, and they move in conjunction with my eyes.

What are these annoying things, are they harmful, and how do I get rid of them?

einbert 12-14-2006 07:47 PM

If I eat enough carrots, will I gain X-Ray vision?

Seriously, what are some exercises or vitamins I can take to improve my vision.

swede123 12-14-2006 07:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Seriously, what are some exercises or vitamins I can take to improve my vision.

[/ QUOTE ]

You sound like the kind of guy who likes to see chiropractors and herbalists and such =)

ThreeMartini 12-14-2006 07:50 PM

Slim O.D.,

Are you familiar with this group?
http://www.nora.cc/index.html

I've read that they help those that suffer from visual problems (motor, perception and processing) resulting from neurological problems.

slim 12-14-2006 07:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is there any risk to wearing contacts while welding?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't believe so if you wear a proper shield

slim 12-14-2006 07:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
how does -6 fit on the scale of Rx severity?

[/ QUOTE ]

Moderately high

slim 12-14-2006 07:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
someone i used to work with, who supposedly researched the hell out of laser eye surgery, told me to just get the cheapest price, as they all use the same equipment, and the equipment does all the work. as it kinda made sense at the time, the more i thought about it, eye surgery didn't seem like the thing you want to discount shop.

any validity to what he said?

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't speak about laser centers in the US , buthere in Toronto, the high end laser centers use different lasers. And usually the discount places that advertise a low price is not as low as they advertise. At least that is how it is here in Toronto.