Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Bad commercials enfuriate me. wtf. (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=282423)

JMP300z 12-13-2006 03:42 PM

Bad commercials enfuriate me. wtf.

Seriously. You could come up to me and call me all sorts of taboo insults and I wouldnt mind near as much as I do when I see a bad commercial.

I start thinking about all the people involved in making the commercial, all the people in that marketing think tank who just dropped a huge load of crap onto the viewers. All the execs at the company that wasted their money hiring this ad company and who actually all sat around patting each others backs congratulating eachother on how awesome their new ad is.

Then I think of the minute of my life spent watching that [censored] and I begin to see red.

wtf.

Anyone else agree/disagree or have any similar rants to add?

-JP

punkass 12-13-2006 03:43 PM

Re: Bad commercials enfuriate me. wtf.

[ QUOTE ]
Bad threads enfuriate me. wtf.

[/ QUOTE ]

keith123 12-13-2006 03:46 PM

what commercial brought this on?

Blarg 12-13-2006 03:47 PM

This thread is worthless without particular examples.

But yeah, they often piss me off too. Supposedly that's even the point with some of them -- makes 'em more memorable.

dlk9s 12-13-2006 03:48 PM

If you are going to start a thread like this, at least include some examples of horrible commercials.

Here's one that makes me want to reach through the television and smack the actors:

The Verizon commercial where the two buddies download "Rock the Casbah" on their phone. They then head to their car, singing to the song, one singing the lyric, "Rock the cat box, rock the cat box." The other corrects him, saying he believes it's, "Lock the cash box." Buddy #1 agrees that it sounds right and they go back to singing the incorrect lyrics.

What infuriates me about this ad is that the idiot kids in the commercial SPECIFICALLY downloaded THAT song from the internet to their phone. If they chose the song, and the title of the track is the line in question, how could they not know the words? It even says ROCK THE CASBAH right there on the phone, as displayed on the television!

I need a cold shower.

astroglide 12-13-2006 03:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Bad spelling infuriates me. wtf.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

RunDownHouse 12-13-2006 03:51 PM

OP,

I was just bitching about this the other day. What's worse than the incompetency of the ad company, to me, is the client execs who sat in the board room, watched the ad, and all nodded and grinned, saying, "Man, THAT'S the commercial we want!"

Alobar 12-13-2006 03:52 PM

haha, Im the same way, tho not to the same degree. I totally think about the exec meeting where the idea got pitched and how they could have possibly liked it. And I think about all the people involved and how they could possibly have liked the end product.

There are more crappy commercials than good ones. Makes me wish I had got into advertising, cuz I think I would be awesome at coming up with slogans and ad campaigns that dont suck ass.

KMac4 12-13-2006 03:53 PM

The Tiki Barber Dish TV commercial is horrendous.

astroglide 12-13-2006 03:54 PM

http://www.giantmag.com/2006/12/tv/t...-of-the-80s/1/

samsonite2100 12-13-2006 04:09 PM

That one with the old couple that go looking for their escaped cows, and find them stacked up outside the barn drives me nuts. I've seen it a hundred times and can barely remember what it's selling (some kind of tupperware thing, I think). It's just such a waste of time and ad space.

Also, yeah, that "Rock the Casbah" ad sucks, big time. Just the idea that someone doesn't know that the song is called "Rock the Casbah" is infuriating, for some reason.

Blarg 12-13-2006 04:19 PM

The ones that bug me the most are the ones that are all about being cool and how damn vital it is, especially the ones that look like they were written by 50 year old yuppies telling 18 year olds what's mind-blowingly cool -- that being their product of course, or looking like you're the type who would LOVE to use it. They seem a weird combo of baldly predatory, startlingly, undeservedly smug, and abysmally stupid at the same time.

Which brings to mind that girl dancing in the car again. I hope she had giant bruises on her hip from getting kicked out of the car.

solids 12-13-2006 04:22 PM

in a related question, i was watching tv the other day and saw a few commercials. the first was that jay-z commericial for budweiser with that song 'show me what you got'. the other was the commercial with the rapper 'common' for gap.

who's the bigger sell out, jay-z or common?

ThreeMartini 12-13-2006 04:24 PM

The worst is....The Enterprise Rental Car commercial. 'Moose' rents a Cadillac for his HS reunion, to be greeted by two hotties exclaiming "Lookin' good Moose"

This commercial pisses me off.

RunDownHouse 12-13-2006 04:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
in a related question, i was watching tv the other day and saw a few commercials. the first was that jay-z commericial for budweiser with that song 'show me what you got'. the other was the commercial with the rapper 'common' for gap.

who's the bigger sell out, jay-z or common?

[/ QUOTE ]
AB brews King Cobra, so at least there's a tenuous connection to a gangsta lifestyle.

I was wondering about this as well when they started up the ad campaign. How did they get Jay-Z to do their commercials (obv most likely is money, but if that's the case, how much)?

niss 12-13-2006 04:29 PM

John Cougar Mellencamp says hi.

keith123 12-13-2006 04:30 PM

i like moose.

pokergrader 12-13-2006 04:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
John Cougar Mellencamp says hi.

[/ QUOTE ]

I remember being at a sports-bar on NFL sunday a few weeks ago, and at one point in time like 3 or 4 different TVs showing different games were all playing that exact same [censored] piece of [censored] commercial.

Blarg 12-13-2006 04:35 PM

The difference is, he started out as a sell-out.

lippy 12-13-2006 04:36 PM

My roommate is majoring in marketing, whenever we're watching TV he says "and that's why I'm majoring in marketing" every commercial break. It's annoying, but very poignant.

There are a lot of awful, awful commercials.

Shajen 12-13-2006 04:37 PM

the worst one out right now is the dude signing the 56 million dollar contract refusing to take the deal because they didn't throw in a subscription to ESPN the mag.

COME THE [censored] ON. Then they talk about adding some POS mp3 player to it likes its the end all be all of everything.

When I am watching live tv, I pause that goddamned commercial. This is why TIVO will eventually rule the universe.

Aloysius 12-13-2006 04:37 PM

People still watch commercials on TV [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]?

-Al

Dominic 12-13-2006 04:38 PM

"I'm lovin' it" infuriates me. Actually, any McDonalds commercial ever infuriates me.

JMP300z 12-13-2006 04:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

so petition me for a star or something. it seems everyone else is enjoying the discussion.

-JP

Runkmud 12-13-2006 04:42 PM

Here's what infuriates me.

The current new tactic of networks, in retaliation to fast forwarding Tivo/DVR users, is to show a advertisement for the show that is currently playing during a commercial break, so you believe that the show is back on, when in fact there are more ads to come. Jesus, that's a run on sentence worthy of Jerry Springer's final thoughts.

solids 12-13-2006 04:42 PM

i work at an ad agency in nyc. it's amazing how many [censored] commercials there are. even more amazing is the fact that these commercials were actually green-lighted by their agencies.

JMP300z 12-13-2006 04:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This thread is worthless without particular examples.

But yeah, they often piss me off too. Supposedly that's even the point with some of them -- makes 'em more memorable.

[/ QUOTE ]

Im sorry I know this would add to the discussion but I wasnt even watching TV when I started to get mad and I was so blinded by my rage that I couldnt even come up with a stinkin commercial. Id like to believe that thats a testament to HOW bad they are, I cant even remember them.

-JP

JMP300z 12-13-2006 04:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Bad spelling infuriates me. wtf.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry. It didnt look right and I should know better but I was in hulk mode. It bothers me too but not anywhere near the degree of bad commercials.

-JP

ps. see how easy it is to blame everything on rage?

JMP300z 12-13-2006 04:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The Tiki Barber Dish TV commercial is horrendous.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sadly this makes me smile. Mainly because I have a goofy friend who looks and talks like Tiki barber...he looks so much like him we call him Ronde'. However his real name is nick.

punkass 12-13-2006 04:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

so petition me for a star or something. it seems everyone else is enjoying the discussion.

-JP

[/ QUOTE ]

Others have noted it, and I apologize that I went for the quick one-liner quote than fully explain, but you didn't give any examples that started off your rant. That makes it a bad start. It's picking up since examples are being given.

My contribution: I hate Apple's "PC vs Mac" commercials. I do like Geico's "Cavemen" commercials.

JMP300z 12-13-2006 04:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]

-Al

[/ QUOTE ]

I told my roommate to go get DVR box 6 months ago as im @ school 8-5 and hes only there 8-12. However, both he and I are too lazy. Maybe hell see this post (hes a lurker) and do it over our christmas break while im out of town. (hint hint).

-JP

JMP300z 12-13-2006 04:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

-JP

[/ QUOTE ]

Others have noted it, and I apologize that I went for the quick one-liner quote than fully explain, but you didn't give any examples that started off your rant. That makes it a bad start. It's picking up since examples are being given.

My contribution: I hate Apple's "PC vs Mac" commercials. I do like Geico's "Cavemen" commercials.

[/ QUOTE ]

np man...im all for witty one liners. I have no grudge.

Good contribution...those mac ones drive me crazy too...like were supposed to think the geek from dodgeball is cool??? wtf.

-JP

Dominic 12-13-2006 04:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]

The current new tactic of networks, in retaliation to fast forwarding Tivo/DVR users, is to show a advertisement for the show that is currently playing during a commercial break, so you believe that the show is back on, when in fact there are more ads to come. Jesus, that's a run on sentence worthy of Jerry Springer's final thoughts.

[/ QUOTE ]

I also DESPISE those gigantic lower-corner advertisement for THE CLOSER or something when I'm in the middle of watching something else. I hate that.

MarkSummers 12-13-2006 04:50 PM

I cringe every time I see the Axe commercial with the strip poker game where the girls are about to take their shirts off but then the dad comes in to break up the party. Then it says, WARNING: IF YOU MESS WITH THE KING'S QUEEN'S YOU BETTER WATCH YOUR ACE, JACK!

Who was the brilliant marketing exec that thought that was clever?

Aloysius 12-13-2006 04:50 PM

JMP - hahaah dude, DVR is so worth it.

As an aside, as far as watching commercials, recent research on DVR viewing habits indicate people still watch them (fast-forwarding, see something that looks interesting, stop and watch commercial). And even fast-forwarding through commercial, there's some brand penetration with the viewer.

-Al

Blarg 12-13-2006 04:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

In the spirit of other things about commercials that bug me, I really don't like when a station puts their call letters in a corner of the screen over and over, or just for many minutes on end. TBS does this all the time, for instance. Worse is when they have ads actively running while a show is on, especially if they're big enough that they actually taking away from your ability to see the program.

It can be very distracting to see some idiot sitcom star mugging and dorking it up, bouncing all over the place, when you're watching something suspenseful or more serious. The commercial really takes over.

Dids 12-13-2006 04:58 PM

Two kinds of commercials I hate:

1- commercials that lie: best example being the Mac v PC adds that make it seem like the PC is a horrible game machine or something, when that's super not true.

2- commercials that function on the assumption that the avg human being is unable to operate a knife. David Cross has a great bit on this.

I think a few of the commercials mentioned in this thread are pretty good.

And that Bud add isn't Jay-Z selling out as much as it's him using a budwiser add to cross promote his new album.

Los Feliz Slim 12-13-2006 05:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]

-Al

[/ QUOTE ]

STFU! [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

Aloysius 12-13-2006 05:02 PM

LF Slim - hahha I do too! It's good business for both of us to do it [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

-Al

A S U 12-13-2006 05:03 PM

How has nobody said PEACE LOVE THE GAP!

UUUUGGGHHH