Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Heisman finalists - Smith, Quinn, McFadden (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=276960)

damaniac 12-06-2006 08:04 PM

Heisman finalists - Smith, Quinn, McFadden

I realize the race isn't interesting this year, but that's what they went with. Seems like a fine choice. Maybe Slayton should have been included. Colt Brennan perhaps? Thoughts?

Dudd 12-06-2006 08:18 PM

Re: Heisman finalists - Smith, Quinn, McFadden

They should have invited Colt, if only to make someone fly from Hawaii to NY just to watch Troy Smith win.

JaredL 12-06-2006 08:18 PM

I think Brennan really blew it in that last game against Oregon State on national television, and I like UH.

IronDragon1 12-06-2006 08:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I realize the race isn't interesting this year, but that's what they went with. Seems like a fine choice. Maybe Slayton should have been included. Colt Brennan perhaps? Thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

Mike Hart?

Semtex 12-06-2006 08:45 PM

If Dwayne Jarret hadn't been injured for those games he would have been up there for sure...

damaniac 12-06-2006 09:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Mike Hart?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah. I'm a Michigan guy, and I think he's great and all. But his numbers aren't THAT great, 1500 yards, 5.0 per, 14 TD's. Now, this shouldn't reflect too poorly on his ability since we run a very predictable offense unless we absolutely have to (20/26 first down plays were runs vs. Wisconsin, for ex). Also, the O-line isn't great. But still, Slayton and McFadden are in another league. McFadden is particularly impressive to me because he was pretty much Arkansas' offense. You know he's getting the ball and you still can't stop him.

Last thing on Hart is that he isn't a prototypical Heisman candidate. He gets lots of short runs consistently, does the little things like not fumble, always fall forward, turn a two yard loss into a two yard gain...but he doesn't bust huge plays very often. That's the stuff that highlight reels (and Heisman candidacies) are made of.

TomCollins 12-06-2006 09:05 PM

I think Hart should have been included. He was my #2 vote.

dkgojackets 12-06-2006 09:05 PM

What happened to inviting five guys?

damaniac 12-06-2006 09:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It varies. Sometimes 3, sometimes 4, sometimes 5. I know they had 4 in 1997. I really don't recall other years, but I know it varies based on...whatever.

TomCollins 12-06-2006 09:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's based on % of votes.

LionelHutz00 12-06-2006 09:42 PM

Troy Smith, Darren McFadden, and Brady Quinn. It's good to see 3 Irishmen as finalists.

heater 12-06-2006 10:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think Hart should have been included. He was my #2 vote.

[/ QUOTE ]

SuperUberBob 12-06-2006 10:22 PM

I wanted to see Colt Brennan be a finalist. He had a monster season.

Jeff W 12-07-2006 02:44 AM

Unfortunately, Brennan nuked his chances with that subpar(for him) performance in the loss against Oregon State. He should be in the running in 2007.

RunDownHouse 12-07-2006 04:02 AM

Ugh, whoever drafts Quinn next year is going to take him several rounds too high.

Scary_Tiger 12-07-2006 04:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Ugh, whoever drafts Quinn next year is going to take him several rounds too high.

[/ QUOTE ]

Brady put up great numbers this year against very good opposition. What do you attribute his success to? He played USC, the second best team in the country by Sagarin, and also UCLA (20), Penn State (23), Georgia Tech (35), and Navy (43). In those five games, he was 115-189 for 1,417 yards with 11 TD and 0 INT.

Of course, he had one bad game against Michigan (3), 24-48 234 Yards 3 TD 3 INT, but Michigan is awfully good. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Case Closed 12-07-2006 04:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Brady put up great numbers this year against very good opposition. What do you attribute his success to? He played USC, the second best team in the country by Sagarin, and also UCLA (20), Penn State (23), Georgia Tech (35), and Navy (43). In those five games, he was 115-189 for 1,417 yards with 11 TD and 0 INT.

Of course, he had one bad game against Michigan (3), 24-48 234 Yards 3 TD 3 INT, but Michigan is awfully good. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hater Dame baby. Hater dame.

Just because he is 6'5" and powerful and moves around the pocket well and "can make all the throws" and has been in a pro-style offense for two years. Whatever, draft that pile of garbage in the 7th round. Nothing worth drafting in that piece of garbage.

Needle77 12-07-2006 05:09 AM

So when can I start my Raymell Rice for 2007 Heismen thread?

jgunnip 12-07-2006 05:33 AM

Watching this year's Hesiman show is going to be like watching the replay of a 0-0 draw in soccer when you already know the outcome.

Too bad Hart didn't make it though, would have been nice to see him get some national pub. He is without a doubt Michigan's MVP this season.

RunDownHouse 12-07-2006 06:37 AM

Yeah, man, totally disappointing that someone who doesn't come close to deserving it didn't get any nat'l press even though he's a questionable MVP on a team that isn't even playing for the nat'l championship.

Man, too bad about that.

Colt McCoy 12-07-2006 10:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. Graduating at the right time is going to make him a whole lot of money.

Colt McCoy 12-07-2006 10:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So when can I start my Raymell Rice for 2007 Heismen thread?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd love to see him in the running.

DrewDevil 12-07-2006 12:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Disagree, I think he absolutely has all the tools to be a top notch NFL QB.

I have watched every one of the ND games the past 2 years (my wife is a domer, so I'm forced to), and he has great poise, great decisionmaking, and that unteachable "NFL zip" on his throws.

He's not a lock to be a star (who is?), but he has just as much potential as any QB in the draft this year or last, including Leinart.

Thremp 12-07-2006 12:09 PM

Wasn't Quinn in the discussion to go ahead of several guys last year? He's pretty sick and got all the skillz to make it happen.

MyTurn2Raise 12-07-2006 04:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Unfortunately, Brennan nuked his chances with that subpar(for him) performance in the loss against Oregon State. He should be in the running in 2007.

[/ QUOTE ]

Brennan is a result of the system. Do we want another Andre Ware, David Klinger, etc?

Watch him verse Oregon State and Alabama.

He's good, but no heisman.

Jeff W 12-07-2006 04:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Brennan is a result of the system. Do we want another Andre Ware, David Klinger, etc?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure, why not? That's part of the fun of college football to me--that crazy schemes like the run & shoot, triple option, etc can be successful. Of course, it's quite clear that Troy Smith should win this year, but if Brennan has a better final game(he cam close to breaking several records) I think he deserves an invite.

The Heismann is as much about hype and excitement as actually awarding the best player.

Yes, I did watch the Oregon State game, that was his worst game of the season. I don't think the 'Bama game was televised here.

TomCollins 12-07-2006 07:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Brady put up great numbers this year against very good opposition. What do you attribute his success to? He played USC, the second best team in the country by Sagarin, and also UCLA (25), Penn State (31), Georgia Tech (42), and Navy (51). In those five games, he was 115-189 for 1,417 yards with 11 TD and 0 INT.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

Bigdaddydvo 12-07-2006 07:55 PM

Eagerly awaiting the posts that say Brady Quinn shouldn't have been invited to New York. Bernie, are you there?

Tron 12-07-2006 08:09 PM

Brady Quinn shouldn't have been invited.

TomCollins 12-07-2006 08:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Eagerly awaiting the posts that say Brady Quinn shouldn't have been invited to New York. Bernie, are you there?

[/ QUOTE ]

Quinn clearly should be invited, but mainly due to lack of anyone else that good this year.

bernie 12-08-2006 04:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL

Suprise...As much as I hate ND, and think Quinn might be overrated a bit for playing for them since I wonder if he'd have gotten as much spotlight time on a lesser visible team(Brennen, or whoever the QB from Hawaii is.) not to mention some of the weak-ass teams they played that helped pad his stats, he had a good year. I did look it up to make sure as I was skeptical, given all the hoopla. Care less what he did in the command in chief games, but against tough(er) teams he did fine.

Not well enough to win, imo, but enough to be invited. But as someone mentioned, not alot of competition this year. The heisman race sucked when Peterson broke his collarbone.

b

MCS 12-08-2006 04:11 AM

Calvin Johnson should have been in the top three.

BigSoonerFan 12-08-2006 08:56 AM

Quinn has already beaten Smith for two awards, one QB and one POY. Do these people actually watch the games?

Case Closed 12-08-2006 12:40 PM

Oh my, this forum will esplode if Quinn sneaks out with the Heisman.

RivaLiva 12-08-2006 12:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Quinn has already beaten Smith for two awards, one QB and one POY. Do these people actually watch the games?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think Smith won the POY, or is it not the same thing as the O'Brien award(Most outstanding)

[ QUOTE ]
Oh my, this forum will esplode if Quinn sneaks out with the Heisman.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think Quinn is just getting these awards because everyone knows Smith will get the heisman and they wanted Brady to go home with something.

MyTurn2Raise 12-08-2006 02:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

as much as I love Calvin Johnson, I say no way. He didn't show up in two of their biggest games this year. I know he faces an awful lot of double coverage, etc, but the dropped passes verse Georgia and Wake sure hurt his team. Those games were at the end of the year on national tv. No invite after that.

heater 12-08-2006 02:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No. Quinn won the Maxwell (outstanding player)
Smith won the Walter Camp (POY) and the Davey O'Brien (national quarterback award)

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/awards

DrewDevil 12-08-2006 03:41 PM

Seems like the Maxwell and Walter Camp awards usually end up going to someone who doesn't win the award. I think Vince Young won one of them last year. It's like a consolation prize?

Needle77 12-08-2006 03:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Seems like the Maxwell and Walter Camp awards usually end up going to someone who doesn't win the award. I think Vince Young won one of them last year. It's like a consolation prize?

[/ QUOTE ]

The winner of the Maxwell award has not won the Heisman award in the past 7 years. Young won that award last year.

MCS 12-10-2006 12:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

as much as I love Calvin Johnson, I say no way. He didn't show up in two of their biggest games this year. I know he faces an awful lot of double coverage, etc, but the dropped passes verse Georgia and Wake sure hurt his team. Those games were at the end of the year on national tv. No invite after that.

[/ QUOTE ]

He was the only offensive player who showed up against Wake.